Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Roberto Martinez 21:38 - Jun 28 with 17476 viewsSgorioFruit

Turned Swansea City FC into one of the most attractive playing football clubs in the whole of the British isles. Massively influential in putting the foundations in for SCFC to become a model club that would rise from league 1 to Premier league in a matter of few years.
And he has also just beaten England in a World Cup game.
If you were told that was going to happen while he was playing for us down the vetch you would have thought you were dreaming.

I’d like to buy that man a pint.

Please discuss.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Roberto Martinez on 23:05 - Jun 28 with 1591 viewsDarran

Roberto Martinez on 23:01 - Jun 28 by E20Jack

3rd division, 2nd division and Chanpionship you mean? Then winning the FA Cup with Wigan.

He only managed us in two leagues.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Roberto Martinez on 23:14 - Jun 28 with 1575 viewsE20Jack

Roberto Martinez on 23:05 - Jun 28 by Darran

He only managed us in two leagues.

Whether as player or manager - he instilled what he was going to mould us into while with us in the bottom division right the way through to the Championship. He was pivotal to us avoiding the drop along with Leon and then building us in his image which is a concept we rode on the back of which led us to our most successful era in our history.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Roberto Martinez on 23:37 - Jun 28 with 1558 viewsItchySphincter

Well all I can say is thank God El Baldogreaseball invented passing. If he hadn’t de Bruyne would still be a cart horse.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Roberto Martinez on 23:57 - Jun 28 with 1535 viewsE20Jack

Roberto Martinez on 23:37 - Jun 28 by ItchySphincter

Well all I can say is thank God El Baldogreaseball invented passing. If he hadn’t de Bruyne would still be a cart horse.

Not about inventing passing, it’s about reinventing us as a passing side and creating our relatively new found identity to which we owe so much success to, in fact our greatest successes.

Roberto Martinez on 00:02 - Jun 29 with 1534 viewsmajorraglan

His teams play nice football, but I am not sure that they are strong enough at the back.

Personally, I would like to see a new team win the WC and I wouldn’t be too unhappy if it was Belgium, much rather them than Portugal, Brazil or Spain whose players are prone to do a Tom Daily at the merestpossinly of contact with an opposing player.
Roberto Martinez on 02:40 - Jun 29 with 1491 viewsswans11

Roberto Martinez on 22:39 - Jun 28 by E20Jack

Lee Trundle left for his wallet too, as did Joe Allen, Leon Britton, Ashley Williams and Brendan Rodgers.

As no doubt Potter, Mawson and any of our signing we are yet to make will if given the chance after a bit of success.

Maybe we should save a bit of time and start slating them now.

Leon left because he was left out team and had disagreement with the manager he paid back his signing on fee to come back to us
Roberto Martinez on 03:15 - Jun 29 with 1488 viewsWhiterockin

Belgium have won nothing yet, their reserves beat England reserves, that is all.
Roberto Martinez on 05:17 - Jun 29 with 1472 viewsstevethejack

Roberto Martinez on 22:10 - Jun 28 by jack247

Wonder if people will remember Jenkins fondly 10 years after he goes.

Martinez was absolutely hated at the time.

For me, it wasn't hatred, more a feeling of betrayal. It was like being left by your lover.

The promise to stay and love us for ever and leaving us. It really hurt.
Login to get fewer ads

Roberto Martinez on 06:15 - Jun 29 with 1454 viewsthornabyswan

Roberto Martinez on 22:56 - Jun 28 by jack247

The biggest problem was our naivety. We fell for all his smarmy bullshit and genuinely did believe it was more than just a stepping stone to him. He also said ‘I can achieve all I want to achieve at this club’ (paraphrased) and we bought that too.

As a fan, I’d rather have a bit of emotion than sit back and analyse things like that as a sensible business decision.

3rd division is league 1 to me.
Championship is 2nd division.
Never looked like getting us promoted to the PL.

Yes won the FA Cup but his win ratio was there was lower than Bruce and Jewell.
The most over hyped manager for a long time.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Roberto Martinez on 06:47 - Jun 29 with 1424 viewsE20Jack

Roberto Martinez on 06:15 - Jun 29 by thornabyswan

3rd division is league 1 to me.
Championship is 2nd division.
Never looked like getting us promoted to the PL.

Yes won the FA Cup but his win ratio was there was lower than Bruce and Jewell.
The most over hyped manager for a long time.

That’s because Whelan sold all of his better players. It’s like comparing the win % of Laudrup to Clement. They were different teams. Not sure what you mean by never looked to get us promoted to the PL either, we finished just outside the play offs in our very first season there.

You are letting something cloud your judgement, only you can answer what that is.

Roberto Martinez on 06:50 - Jun 29 with 1423 viewsDr_Winston

Roberto Martinez on 22:26 - Jun 28 by jackrabbit

You're the one who should be embarrassed, posting nonsense like that. He didn't run off with your wife did he? It's time to collect all your toys back into your pram. 🌝

Screw my club over and you're on the shit list. Permanently.

It's truly amazing how many people still gaze adoringly at Martinez despite him acting with the same naked self interest and disregard for the future of the club as the likes of Jenkins and co.

Thankfully not all. Some still have a bit of pride left.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Roberto Martinez on 07:57 - Jun 29 with 1382 viewsE20Jack

Roberto Martinez on 06:50 - Jun 29 by Dr_Winston

Screw my club over and you're on the shit list. Permanently.

It's truly amazing how many people still gaze adoringly at Martinez despite him acting with the same naked self interest and disregard for the future of the club as the likes of Jenkins and co.

Thankfully not all. Some still have a bit of pride left.

It’s football not the Brady Bunch.

I can never work out if people act surprised as a pretext to then beat that person with or genuinely that disconnected with the sport they claim to love that they genuinely don’t realise people leave clubs to better their careers.

Roberto Martinez on 08:30 - Jun 29 with 1365 viewsymaohyd

The Martinez debate always annoys me, from both sides of the argument,

Those who dis his ability and what he did for us:

Those who don't understand the bitterness towards him:

Firstly he was the founding father for all that we achieved, he did an amazing job for us and was one of the many who had a positive input (as a player and as a manager), alongside Flynn, Jackett, Rodgers in terms of bringing in players who became legends of the club and taking us to the PL. In my opinion he was the most important cog in that wheel.

BUT..For me he ruined that by how he left. He made so many statements about not leaving and then jumped at the first opportunity. I didn't blame him one bit for leaving, however, when given the opportunity to apologise, he didn't and for me that tarnishes all the good that he achieved.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Roberto Martinez on 09:15 - Jun 29 with 1336 viewsmoonie

Ive been hurt plenty of times in my life.
Aunt Mable s budgie ,Peter ,was a killer blow for me . Just simply flopped over off his perch and me uncles just chucked him out with the ashes( old Swansea term for refuse) .
Had a dog that died, girlfriends two timed me ,dumped me and I never saw the Beatles live .

Robot leaving ? Nah. Just an ambitious man doing what most on hee have done ,moving on to better things when ut shuts ...and he has.

We have much to thank him for but seeing what is on this site doesn't surprise me in the slightest . Is there any hope for us as a fan base.Im beginning to doubt it ,seriously.

Gracias Roberto.
Roberto Martinez on 09:33 - Jun 29 with 1330 viewsjack247

Roberto Martinez on 07:57 - Jun 29 by E20Jack

It’s football not the Brady Bunch.

I can never work out if people act surprised as a pretext to then beat that person with or genuinely that disconnected with the sport they claim to love that they genuinely don’t realise people leave clubs to better their careers.

It’s football, it’s an emotive sport. It would be drab if wasn’t.

We are Swansea City fans. Not Roberto Martinez or Huw Jenkins fans. It’s absolutely ok to be a little biased and irrational in these situations.

Martinez leaving was best for him, Jenkins selling was best for him. Those are cold, hard, clinical decisions and if you look at football in that way, it’s impossible to feel bitter towards either of them.

If you look at it from a fans point of view, they both did incredibly well for us (as we did for them) and then stabbed us in the back. They’ve both seriously tainted their legacies.

You can’t always apply conventional logic to the way football fans think.
Roberto Martinez on 09:44 - Jun 29 with 1317 viewsmoonie

As they say, 247, that s a great post. For me anyway

Move the fook on folks.. You don't go forwRds by looking backwards

Think of all the time you re wasting

Looking for a good day to come around.

Some folks leave before they re ready

Some things are lost and never found

Heydays
Roberto Martinez on 10:57 - Jun 29 with 1292 viewsLeonWasGod

Roberto Martinez on 22:10 - Jun 28 by jack247

Wonder if people will remember Jenkins fondly 10 years after he goes.

Martinez was absolutely hated at the time.

Hated by some. The usual sorts who get the hump every time a successful manager or player leaves us.

I don't remember any hatred at all whilst he was still managing us (up to the point he naively flapped his gums and then left). People were by and large delighted by the football he was serving up and if anything idolised him too much (which is why they got upset when he left).

Jilted lover syndrome - it runs deep here.
Roberto Martinez on 11:22 - Jun 29 with 1279 viewsDarran

Roberto Martinez on 10:57 - Jun 29 by LeonWasGod

Hated by some. The usual sorts who get the hump every time a successful manager or player leaves us.

I don't remember any hatred at all whilst he was still managing us (up to the point he naively flapped his gums and then left). People were by and large delighted by the football he was serving up and if anything idolised him too much (which is why they got upset when he left).

Jilted lover syndrome - it runs deep here.

He didn’t naively flap his gums though did he?
He wrote it in his book and the only reason he wrote it in his book was to try and get more people to hate Kenny Jackett because he’s got a nasty devious streak in him.
I know several other things that have happened behind the scenes too because back then in the lower leagues people couldn’t keep their mouths shut.

I got absolutely slaughtered on here for saying he’d definitely be going if the Wigan rumours were true,I said I knew exactly what type of person he was,he’s all front and really all out for himself.
One poster gave me such abuse that when he did eventually go to Wigan he wrote a long grovelling apology.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Roberto Martinez on 11:37 - Jun 29 with 1269 viewsLeonWasGod

Roberto Martinez on 11:22 - Jun 29 by Darran

He didn’t naively flap his gums though did he?
He wrote it in his book and the only reason he wrote it in his book was to try and get more people to hate Kenny Jackett because he’s got a nasty devious streak in him.
I know several other things that have happened behind the scenes too because back then in the lower leagues people couldn’t keep their mouths shut.

I got absolutely slaughtered on here for saying he’d definitely be going if the Wigan rumours were true,I said I knew exactly what type of person he was,he’s all front and really all out for himself.
One poster gave me such abuse that when he did eventually go to Wigan he wrote a long grovelling apology.

Oh ok. I thought i remembered him giving an interview saying he wouldn't be leaving, but stand corrected. If anything his link to Wigan was stronger than his link to us, so I wasn't surprised he went and could see why.

No idea what he's like as a person, so I'll take your word for it!
Roberto Martinez on 11:44 - Jun 29 with 1263 viewsdameedna

could fill a few seconds with his personality
Roberto Martinez on 13:53 - Jun 29 with 1214 viewsE20Jack

Roberto Martinez on 09:33 - Jun 29 by jack247

It’s football, it’s an emotive sport. It would be drab if wasn’t.

We are Swansea City fans. Not Roberto Martinez or Huw Jenkins fans. It’s absolutely ok to be a little biased and irrational in these situations.

Martinez leaving was best for him, Jenkins selling was best for him. Those are cold, hard, clinical decisions and if you look at football in that way, it’s impossible to feel bitter towards either of them.

If you look at it from a fans point of view, they both did incredibly well for us (as we did for them) and then stabbed us in the back. They’ve both seriously tainted their legacies.

You can’t always apply conventional logic to the way football fans think.

Of course it is, but you still have to remain realistic and honest otherwise debates are meaningless.

If you are being biased or irrational then that is absolutely not ok in a discussion about it. Well if accuracy is the goal anyway. Otherwise it is just licences hissy fits and histeria about inaccurate and meaningless stuff. Football is not about that.

Nobody is stabbing anyone in the back either. Did Leon Britton stab us in the back when he left for Sheff Utd? Did Williams stab us in the back when he went to Everton? Did Allen stab us in the back when he went to Liverpool? Lee Trundle? The list is endless. People leave, people’s views change and people’s feelings change, that’s life and that’s the sport.

Jenkins stabbed the Trust in the back, that I agree with. But if the option was given to the fans for that not to have happened but as a trade off, we would still be stuck in league 2 with all the last 15 years wiped away from memories and the history books - would they take it? The answer is no, which means he has done far more good than bad.

Roberto Martinez on 14:26 - Jun 29 with 1198 viewsjack247

Roberto Martinez on 13:53 - Jun 29 by E20Jack

Of course it is, but you still have to remain realistic and honest otherwise debates are meaningless.

If you are being biased or irrational then that is absolutely not ok in a discussion about it. Well if accuracy is the goal anyway. Otherwise it is just licences hissy fits and histeria about inaccurate and meaningless stuff. Football is not about that.

Nobody is stabbing anyone in the back either. Did Leon Britton stab us in the back when he left for Sheff Utd? Did Williams stab us in the back when he went to Everton? Did Allen stab us in the back when he went to Liverpool? Lee Trundle? The list is endless. People leave, people’s views change and people’s feelings change, that’s life and that’s the sport.

Jenkins stabbed the Trust in the back, that I agree with. But if the option was given to the fans for that not to have happened but as a trade off, we would still be stuck in league 2 with all the last 15 years wiped away from memories and the history books - would they take it? The answer is no, which means he has done far more good than bad.

Football fans will invariably have biased and irrational views. It’s part of being a fan. Comparable to the way people are biased and irrational towards their own children, place of birth etc. It’s a perfectly normal emotion.

Of course it’s easy to distance yourself from that and look at everything rationally and clinically. That takes away the essence of being of being a fan though.

Whether players stabbed teams in the back is down to individual views. In mine (and many others), Martinez and Jenkins did. The other players you mentioned didn’t. Looking at it your way, Figo and Sol Campbell didn’t either. Most Tottenham and Barcelona fans would probably disagree.

There is absolutely no doubt that Huw Jenkins has done more good than bad here, Martinez as well. I don’t think many would rather erase the last 15 years and be back at the Vetch in front of 3000 fans. They still both pissed on their legacies here though.
Roberto Martinez on 14:36 - Jun 29 with 1185 viewsE20Jack

Roberto Martinez on 14:26 - Jun 29 by jack247

Football fans will invariably have biased and irrational views. It’s part of being a fan. Comparable to the way people are biased and irrational towards their own children, place of birth etc. It’s a perfectly normal emotion.

Of course it’s easy to distance yourself from that and look at everything rationally and clinically. That takes away the essence of being of being a fan though.

Whether players stabbed teams in the back is down to individual views. In mine (and many others), Martinez and Jenkins did. The other players you mentioned didn’t. Looking at it your way, Figo and Sol Campbell didn’t either. Most Tottenham and Barcelona fans would probably disagree.

There is absolutely no doubt that Huw Jenkins has done more good than bad here, Martinez as well. I don’t think many would rather erase the last 15 years and be back at the Vetch in front of 3000 fans. They still both pissed on their legacies here though.

I don’t agree being irrational or biased is part of being a fan. Not do I agree it’s part of where you are from etc. I am from South Wales and the Swansea area and have absolutely no qualms in praising Cardiff and the City in general. Some people are more militant than others I guess, but being irrational and biased really is not a good trait.

I am and always have been one of the biggest Swans fans I know, more so before when I was able to attend essentially every match but have always had a balanced approach to all things regarding the club. How else can you square away any opinion on the club and the direction you believe it to be going in if your views are irrational, inaccurate and biased? It’s not possible.

It’s a convenient way to attack someone to say the stabbed something in the back, yet with a very fluid set of parameters which changes depending on the person. Which again means it’s all nonsense really.

Neither pissed on their legacies. They will always be associated with extreme success for decades and many eras to come, they may have tarnished it somewhat (I don’t think Martinez did really, he left just like every player and manager has in our history and our future) but the overwhelming memory will be the success they brought us.

Roberto Martinez on 14:59 - Jun 29 with 1180 viewsjack247

Roberto Martinez on 14:36 - Jun 29 by E20Jack

I don’t agree being irrational or biased is part of being a fan. Not do I agree it’s part of where you are from etc. I am from South Wales and the Swansea area and have absolutely no qualms in praising Cardiff and the City in general. Some people are more militant than others I guess, but being irrational and biased really is not a good trait.

I am and always have been one of the biggest Swans fans I know, more so before when I was able to attend essentially every match but have always had a balanced approach to all things regarding the club. How else can you square away any opinion on the club and the direction you believe it to be going in if your views are irrational, inaccurate and biased? It’s not possible.

It’s a convenient way to attack someone to say the stabbed something in the back, yet with a very fluid set of parameters which changes depending on the person. Which again means it’s all nonsense really.

Neither pissed on their legacies. They will always be associated with extreme success for decades and many eras to come, they may have tarnished it somewhat (I don’t think Martinez did really, he left just like every player and manager has in our history and our future) but the overwhelming memory will be the success they brought us.

Fans being irrational and biased is a huge part of football. It wouldn’t be anywhere near the spectacle it is without that. We’d barely have rivalries.

They aren’t good character traits in day to day life, of course they aren’t, but that isn’t what this discussion is about.

Your third paragraph is absolutely right. Yet it’s part and parcel of being a fan. I’m not going to try to argue it’s logical with you, it isn’t. Following a football team is a deeply illogical pastime.

Pissed on/tarnished their legacies - potato/potato.

Had Martinez been upfront about his ambition (like Rodgers) and not fed us all that drag me away kicking and screaming nonsense, or Jenkins been up front about his desire to sell and looked for a buyer who genuinely would take us forward, they’d both still be loved here. The fact that they left/sold was never the issue, it was the way they went about it.
Roberto Martinez on 15:52 - Jun 29 with 1157 viewsmoonie

And he s history...so we move forward
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024