Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy 20:52 - Jul 22 with 2555 viewssquarebear

We’ve got friends coming to stay. They’re Yanks, so are unfamiliar with all things Swansea. We’d like to take them out for a couple of meals but one of them has a severe allergy to tree nuts.

I’m apprehensive about taking them somewhere and them, well, worst case scenario, dying on me, as it’ll mean us leaving the restaurant before dessert, which I won’t be happy about.

Any tree nut allergy people on here? Have you any tried and tested restaurants you visit? I especially wanted to take them for a curry but that frankly looks a complete non-starter.
Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 20:59 - Jul 22 with 2540 viewsdickythorpe

To be honest in this day and age most restaurants /eateries are so keen for your custom and have legal requirements to show allergy information that if you rang ahead you'd be able to rest easily with your choice.

If they can't give you info in this day and age AVOID.
Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 21:00 - Jul 22 with 2539 viewsAguycalledJack

Any restaurant worth it’s salt could cope. Just advise the front of house staff before ordering.

Even better decide on a restaurant in advance.
Depending on your budget my personal favourites are the Chelsea cafe and slice. Either of these should be able to deal with your situation if warned in advance.

Enjoy.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2018 22:32]
Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 21:51 - Jul 22 with 2490 viewsLoyal

WTF is a tree nut ?
Like a KP ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 22:00 - Jul 22 with 2478 viewslifelong

Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 21:51 - Jul 22 by Loyal

WTF is a tree nut ?
Like a KP ?

My guess is a nut that grows on trees, Hazel and Chest spring to mind.
Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 22:33 - Jul 22 with 2448 viewsPegojack

Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 22:00 - Jul 22 by lifelong

My guess is a nut that grows on trees, Hazel and Chest spring to mind.

Let's leave Hazel's chest out of this.
Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 22:50 - Jul 22 with 2415 viewsjedijack

My wife has a severe allergy to peanuts but all nuts result in a trip to casualty.

She avoids Indian and Thai food but everything else goes. Just make sure to mention not allergy when ordering food.

If the worse happens your guest should be carrying epi pens. Needs 1 jab per 15 minutes while on the way to hospital.

We eat most places and the misses last turn was about a year ago after Morrisons changed a cookie recipe; not once in 5 years have we had an issue, eating out though.
Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 22:53 - Jul 22 with 2405 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 21:51 - Jul 22 by Loyal

WTF is a tree nut ?
Like a KP ?

You misunderstand, tree nuts are walnuts, cashews and pine nuts . Tree nuts.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 02:23 - Jul 23 with 2346 viewsDJack

Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 22:33 - Jul 22 by Pegojack

Let's leave Hazel's chest out of this.

NO, I want more of Hazel's chest...

And all the nuts.

On a serious note I would suggest that the OP rings his potential restaurants and mentions the issue for clarification. Oddly enough, seeing who the OP is I'm surprised that this has not been done...unless of course this thread is for extra info.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Login to get fewer ads

Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 06:52 - Jul 23 with 2302 viewssquarebear

Cheers. Hopefully I’m overthinking this. I’d been getting hung-up on the risk of nut cross-contamination in the food preparation area rather than a kitchen ignoring our dietary requirements and serving dishes containing nuts.

Taking them jet lagged, in anaphylactic shock, to Morriston Hospital where they’ll no doubt encounter a number of well-oiled “local characters” is not really the Swansea Saturday Night I want them to have. :)

Though I dare say it’d be one they’ll remember.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2018 6:53]
Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 07:43 - Jul 23 with 2235 viewspeenemunde

Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 20:59 - Jul 22 by dickythorpe

To be honest in this day and age most restaurants /eateries are so keen for your custom and have legal requirements to show allergy information that if you rang ahead you'd be able to rest easily with your choice.

If they can't give you info in this day and age AVOID.

You are correct Dicky.
It’s law that any restaurant has to have a register in regards to what is in the ingredients.

Just ask in whatever restaurant you are in and you’ll be shown the register and told if there are traces of nut or any other ingredient you wish to avoid.

Just a suggestion phone the restaurant before and asked them, will save you time and potential disappointment, if the dishes you want do have traces of nuts etc.
Eating out in Swansea with a tree nut allergy on 10:23 - Jul 23 with 2160 viewsProfessor

Neither Pine Nuts or coconuts are nuts. Allergy is most frequently to peanut (there are complex reasons why) but unusual if allergy to hazels, pecans etc. without peanut.

As said a decent restaurant should know risks. Avoiding Asian would be a good idea. Been a few cases in the Northwest of anaphylaxis from Indian Takeaways that have led to prosecution.

My sympathies to those with severe nut allergy-it is a real threat and that epidemiology pen is so vital
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024