Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What year? 20:06 - Jul 24 with 1593 viewsdickythorpe

http://threecliffs.co.uk/pennard-history/pennard-stores-our-history

Image 8 of 18. Snow outside Pennard stores!!!
What year? on 20:17 - Jul 24 with 1570 viewsjack2jack

Didn't we have a shed load of snow back in 61-62
What year? on 20:23 - Jul 24 with 1549 viewsdickythorpe

63 I thought?

Some really nostalgic pics there and iconic chocolate boxes and weighing scales on show in the shop.
The pic of the sun reflected in the window is heart warming. The views in and of Gower are special.

Had a day off today and took a spin down to Southgate,Pennard and on to worm's head.
Had food in Kings Head Llangennith, very nice and cheaper than pembrokeshire.
What year? on 20:36 - Jul 24 with 1529 viewsjack2jack

What year? on 20:23 - Jul 24 by dickythorpe

63 I thought?

Some really nostalgic pics there and iconic chocolate boxes and weighing scales on show in the shop.
The pic of the sun reflected in the window is heart warming. The views in and of Gower are special.

Had a day off today and took a spin down to Southgate,Pennard and on to worm's head.
Had food in Kings Head Llangennith, very nice and cheaper than pembrokeshire.

Yeah your spot on 63 it was, 10foot of snow in places.
Glad you enjoyed your afternoon, after this morning's rain, came out alright after, we were down in Pennard on Friday lovely spot, first time I've seen the grass on the cliff tops barely green.
Kings Head is great for a spot to eat, haven't been there for a while mind.👍
Nice photos too.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2018 20:46]
What year? on 20:44 - Jul 24 with 1513 viewsjack247

I’m amazed that’s been there 100 years. I thought that whole estate was 50/60 years old tops
What year? on 21:03 - Jul 24 with 1485 viewskarnataka

What year? on 20:44 - Jul 24 by jack247

I’m amazed that’s been there 100 years. I thought that whole estate was 50/60 years old tops

I lived in Three Cliffs Drive, Pennard, 1952-1957.I'd love to know when some of those B&W photographs were taken. My mum might have known some of the people in them. Will try to remember to show her some of them next time I visit. She's 95 and still going strong!
What year? on 21:10 - Jul 24 with 1468 viewsjack247

What year? on 21:03 - Jul 24 by karnataka

I lived in Three Cliffs Drive, Pennard, 1952-1957.I'd love to know when some of those B&W photographs were taken. My mum might have known some of the people in them. Will try to remember to show her some of them next time I visit. She's 95 and still going strong!

Was Pennard drive there then, or just three cliffs drive and the shop?
What year? on 22:22 - Jul 24 with 1403 viewsMuteswan

Mrs. Mute and I had our wedding reception at the Heatherslade Bay Hotel way back in 1977, it didn’t snow but we had everything else the weather could throw at us. 🙄
Lovely area, was down there on Thursday at The Southgate.
What year? on 07:13 - Jul 25 with 1313 viewskarnataka

What year? on 21:10 - Jul 24 by jack247

Was Pennard drive there then, or just three cliffs drive and the shop?

My recollections are that there was only Norton Lane & Three Cliffs Drive and a few houses at the north end of Pennard Drive where all 3 roads meet and they were all unmade lanes. The rest was open fields and the heathland across to the castle with lots of wild horses. But I was only 5 when we moved to Sketty. I remember spending a short while at Park Mill School.
Login to get fewer ads

What year? on 09:39 - Jul 25 with 1239 viewssherpajacob

What year? on 07:13 - Jul 25 by karnataka

My recollections are that there was only Norton Lane & Three Cliffs Drive and a few houses at the north end of Pennard Drive where all 3 roads meet and they were all unmade lanes. The rest was open fields and the heathland across to the castle with lots of wild horses. But I was only 5 when we moved to Sketty. I remember spending a short while at Park Mill School.

Snowdrifts blocked the narrows to Pennard and Southgate in 1982. For several days the rest of the world was cut off from civilization.

I remember there was still unmelted snow in areas of permanent shade in May.

1978 was pretty snowy as well.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

What year? on 09:57 - Jul 25 with 1231 viewssherpajacob

What year? on 20:36 - Jul 24 by jack2jack

Yeah your spot on 63 it was, 10foot of snow in places.
Glad you enjoyed your afternoon, after this morning's rain, came out alright after, we were down in Pennard on Friday lovely spot, first time I've seen the grass on the cliff tops barely green.
Kings Head is great for a spot to eat, haven't been there for a while mind.👍
Nice photos too.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2018 20:46]

Colour photo in 1963?

I think it's either 78 or 82, probably 82. The guys is wearing jeans and a,bomber jacket.

Never called it Pennard Stores (it's in Southgate). It was "Stuttles"

What year? on 10:47 - Jul 25 with 1209 viewsHighjack

What year? on 09:57 - Jul 25 by sherpajacob

Colour photo in 1963?

I think it's either 78 or 82, probably 82. The guys is wearing jeans and a,bomber jacket.

Never called it Pennard Stores (it's in Southgate). It was "Stuttles"

They had colour photographs in the mid 19th century!

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

What year? on 12:04 - Jul 25 with 1178 viewsjack2jack

There is a sign near the guy serving the ice cream which says 1/2d so that at least pre 1971, think there is also a Datsun/Nissan cherry in one of the photos which would be possibly late 70s very early 80s.The first B&W photos look even earlier if im honest. :)
What year? on 12:33 - Jul 25 with 1158 viewssherpajacob

What year? on 12:04 - Jul 25 by jack2jack

There is a sign near the guy serving the ice cream which says 1/2d so that at least pre 1971, think there is also a Datsun/Nissan cherry in one of the photos which would be possibly late 70s very early 80s.The first B&W photos look even earlier if im honest. :)

If the photos are in chronological order the snowy one is either 78 or 82, most probably 82.

The one with the Japanese car, also shows Alison's hairdressers, and she was open in the 80's (did my sisters hair for her wedding 1986) later replaced by the coffee shop.

also on the snowy one, you can see houses behind on heatherslade road, and this wasn't developed until the 70s. Pennard drive was developed about the same time, leading to the opening of pennard school.

What year? on 17:58 - Jul 25 with 1068 viewskarnataka

What year? on 12:04 - Jul 25 by jack2jack

If you're referring to the blue car in pic #9, that's not a Datsun Cherry. First car I ever bought in 1976 was a 1973 Cherry.
What year? on 22:03 - Jul 25 with 1001 viewsjack2jack

What year? on 17:58 - Jul 25 by karnataka

If you're referring to the blue car in pic #9, that's not a Datsun Cherry. First car I ever bought in 1976 was a 1973 Cherry.

Fair enough, thought it was either a Datsun or Nissan
What year? on 22:19 - Jul 25 with 985 viewssherpajacob

What year? on 22:03 - Jul 25 by jack2jack

Fair enough, thought it was either a Datsun or Nissan

It's definitely Japanese. Looks a bit like a Mazda 323. My mum had a blue one like it. In fact.........

What year? on 22:23 - Jul 25 with 973 viewsjack2jack

What year? on 22:19 - Jul 25 by sherpajacob

It's definitely Japanese. Looks a bit like a Mazda 323. My mum had a blue one like it. In fact.........

Good shout in fairness,didn't think of the Mazda👍
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024