Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1983 relegation 21:44 - Jul 24 with 3519 viewsthornabyswan

How does the current side compare to the side that played for us in the 83/84 season.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

1983 relegation on 21:46 - Jul 24 with 2298 viewsLoyal

I was 10 but older fckrs will know.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

1983 relegation on 21:52 - Jul 24 with 2261 viewsthornabyswan

1983 relegation on 21:46 - Jul 24 by Loyal

I was 16 we stuck a few youngsters in Gayle Loveridge Mike Hughes in goal.
Dropped like a stone.
Long time ago but it seems similar to now.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2018 22:00]

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

1983 relegation on 21:52 - Jul 24 with 2261 viewssherpajacob

The 83/84 team was utter dog shit.

We were only saved from 3 successive relegations by Jimmy rimmer in goal.

We quickly offloaded all our best players to cut wages. Their replacements weren't up to it with the odd exception such as Colin Pascoe and Dean Saunders, and they were quickly let go as well.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

1983 relegation on 22:09 - Jul 24 with 2163 viewsCaptain_Sham

Colin Pascoe was not " quickly let go" He was sold to Sunderland for a tidy sum after we got promoted back up to Div 3, 5 years later
[Post edited 24 Jul 2018 22:10]

Its just a ride.

1983 relegation on 22:09 - Jul 24 with 2157 viewsdobjack2

At present as you posted in another thread there are worrying similarities.

There is time to put it right but with bony, Mawson, Fer and Clucas out injured I don’t see us hitting the ground running. Hopefully we will utilise the loan market to supplement the squad.

I don’t expect us to really know where we stand as a squad before the end of August and it may be before the end of September before we have a settled side
1983 relegation on 22:21 - Jul 24 with 2102 viewsthornabyswan

1983 relegation on 22:09 - Jul 24 by dobjack2

At present as you posted in another thread there are worrying similarities.

There is time to put it right but with bony, Mawson, Fer and Clucas out injured I don’t see us hitting the ground running. Hopefully we will utilise the loan market to supplement the squad.

I don’t expect us to really know where we stand as a squad before the end of August and it may be before the end of September before we have a settled side

Yes we got time to put it right.
We need a few in though and the silence from the club is concerning.
Quick enough to put out crap like we want 3 quid to put Swansea university on the new shirt or this new fan initiative it's all rubbish.
Supporters want to know what's going on with the team.

1983 relegation on 22:22 - Jul 24 with 2094 viewscostalotta

1983 relegation on 22:09 - Jul 24 by Captain_Sham

Colin Pascoe was not " quickly let go" He was sold to Sunderland for a tidy sum after we got promoted back up to Div 3, 5 years later
[Post edited 24 Jul 2018 22:10]

This is correct. But we’re did try and offload him a few times. He went to a few clubs in trial, notably Liverpool. That was approx November 1983.

We actually started our first back in the old 2nd division with most of the squad from the first. A post above mentioned utilising a few of the other youngsters of the time but those first few games we had Curtis, Robbie, Ian Walsh, Latchford, Neil Robinson, Jeremy Charles, Nigel Stevenson amongst others. These were quickly sold or let go. Curtis to Southampton, Robbie I think went to Stoke. Charles to Oxford, Leighton left on a free (Sunderland?) niel and Nigel stayed longer.

It’s not the same now, but remarkably similar.
1983 relegation on 22:32 - Jul 24 with 2061 viewspencoedjack

1983 relegation on 21:46 - Jul 24 by Loyal

I was 15 but just discovered booze Es & speed so I’ll pass judgement 👍
Login to get fewer ads

1983 relegation on 22:38 - Jul 24 with 2037 viewsKilkennyjack

1983 relegation on 21:52 - Jul 24 by sherpajacob

We quickly offloaded all our best players to cut wages. Their replacements weren't up to it with the odd exception such as Colin Pascoe and Dean Saunders, and they were quickly let go as well.

A fair assessment.

Utter dog shite.

Beware of the Risen People

1983 relegation on 22:46 - Jul 24 with 2021 viewsTNT

I was 21. It does have a certain feeling of deja vu about the whole thing tbh.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

1983 relegation on 22:52 - Jul 24 with 1988 viewsthornabyswan

1983 relegation on 22:46 - Jul 24 by TNT

I was 21. It does have a certain feeling of deja vu about the whole thing tbh.

Yes the 1983 relegation was unavoidable really.
This one was though down to greed and total incompetence.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2018 22:53]

1983 relegation on 23:08 - Jul 24 with 1913 viewsWingstandwood

1983 relegation on 22:52 - Jul 24 by thornabyswan

Profound, truthful and bang-on!

We have seen Jenkins D.o.F, jobs-for-the-boys culture, the farcical employment of Bradley, O' Leary, Monk, Clotet, a blocked Rodgers reappointment etc, etc...

Absolute mind blowing incompetence that has been nothing but the most disgraceful Kamikaze-sabotage along with appalling obscene greed whereupon individuals preoccupation with a money trough has become priority No 1 and way, way, way before the club, its supporters and SCFC teams future. This time period is utterly offensive to many long standing SCFC supporters.

Argus!

1983 relegation on 23:19 - Jul 24 with 1881 viewsdobjack2

1983 relegation on 22:21 - Jul 24 by thornabyswan

Yes we got time to put it right.
We need a few in though and the silence from the club is concerning.
Quick enough to put out crap like we want 3 quid to put Swansea university on the new shirt or this new fan initiative it's all rubbish.
Supporters want to know what's going on with the team.

Totally agree.

Supporters want to know what is going on full stop.

The silence from the ivory towers is deafening.
1983 relegation on 23:21 - Jul 24 with 1875 viewsSmellyplumz

1983 relegation on 23:19 - Jul 24 by dobjack2

Totally agree.

Supporters want to know what is going on full stop.

The silence from the ivory towers is deafening.

Supporters come rock bottom last in the grand scheme of the club, has done since we got to the prem.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

1983 relegation on 23:54 - Jul 24 with 1806 viewsLoyal

Two wins on the bang and it will all be support the team, not the right time etc ...

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

1983 relegation on 00:37 - Jul 25 with 1781 viewstheloneranger

1983 relegation on 21:52 - Jul 24 by sherpajacob

Jimmy Rimmer played a blinder in the final match of the 1984/85 season against Bristol City, and stopped us dropping into the 4th division.

We needed at least 1 point to stay up and drew 0-0, with Jimmy performing heroics in goal.

John Bond came in as manager late 1984 and helped us stay up that season

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

1983 relegation on 00:46 - Jul 25 with 1774 viewstheloneranger

To draw a comparison with the 1983/84 season, we started that season playing against Magdeberg and drew 1-1 and then got relegated.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

1983 relegation on 02:33 - Jul 25 with 1737 viewsAnotherJohn

Not surprised to see this thread. Older fans like myself were already experiencing a sense of deja vu.
1983 relegation on 07:55 - Jul 25 with 1606 views3swan

100% agree.

There were many reasons for our situation back then. We overstretched with building the East Stand the transfer market imploding etc.

This time however the club has wasted multi millions in not having a coherent transfer policy.

Still time to attempt to put things right, or at least stop the slide that followed back then, but the will has to be there.

That was the start of 'have you got a pair of boots' when so many journeymen and free transfers were the best we could hope for.transfers

The clock is ticking, bad decisions and recruitment becomes a habit.
1983 relegation on 08:23 - Jul 25 with 1562 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Yes, we were overstretched then, now we are morally bankrupt.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

1983 relegation on 08:25 - Jul 25 with 1559 viewsjack_lord

1983 relegation on 00:37 - Jul 25 by theloneranger

Jimmy Rimmer played a blinder in the final match of the 1984/85 season against Bristol City, and stopped us dropping into the 4th division.

We needed at least 1 point to stay up and drew 0-0, with Jimmy performing heroics in goal.

John Bond came in as manager late 1984 and helped us stay up that season

That game felt like we had won promotion.

Back to now though, there is no way that Huje arse cannot see what is happening so it begs the question, what the f uck is he doing?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

1983 relegation on 08:31 - Jul 25 with 1521 viewsmoonie

It was very painful but some comfort on the knowledge that after reaching the very top ,we went southwards. Nobody expected it to last .

This time round ,we ve been an established prem league club who ve simply unfolded . No need for it
1983 relegation on 11:00 - Jul 25 with 1460 viewsawayjack

Issue in 83 was money was from gate receipts / fans support so hard to sustain. This time relegation was down to greed of a small few and mostly avoidable. Now the money from TV not attendances is main income, hence so called 'small teams' like Bournemouth, Burnley, Huddersfield, Watford, Fulham, Brighton etc .. are all able to compete if they are run for interests of club not a few greedy shareholders.
1983 relegation on 11:01 - Jul 25 with 1459 viewsCaptain_Sham

1983 relegation on 07:55 - Jul 25 by 3swan

100% agree.

There were many reasons for our situation back then. We overstretched with building the East Stand the transfer market imploding etc.

This time however the club has wasted multi millions in not having a coherent transfer policy.

Still time to attempt to put things right, or at least stop the slide that followed back then, but the will has to be there.

That was the start of 'have you got a pair of boots' when so many journeymen and free transfers were the best we could hope for.transfers

The clock is ticking, bad decisions and recruitment becomes a habit.

Don't underestimate what injuries did to us that second season. We were playing the kids by Christmas. Irwin got crocked and Kennedy was in the early stages of Parkinsons(although nobody knew)
With Irwin and Kennedy fit we would have stayed up .
[Post edited 25 Jul 2018 11:07]

Its just a ride.

1983 relegation on 11:07 - Jul 25 with 1445 viewscostalotta

1983 relegation on 11:01 - Jul 25 by Captain_Sham

Don't underestimate what injuries did to us that second season. We were playing the kids by Christmas. Irwin got crocked and Kennedy was in the early stages of Parkinsons(although nobody knew)
With Irwin and Kennedy fit we would have stayed up .
[Post edited 25 Jul 2018 11:07]

Fair comment. We also went into the summer of 82 with transfer ban I seem to remember. So, no cash, senior and influential players injured and a year older, shoe in of youngsters who were not ready, further injuries (Darren Gayle leg break and career ending ) . Changing managers every so often. Tosh to ? Back to tosh to les chapel, to Colin Appleton to John bond to tommy hutch.

There was no plan and no clue how to deal with back then, not an excuse but many clubs suffered like us. This time it’s unforgivable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024