Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pembrey Country Park 20:09 - Jul 28 with 2347 viewsbyron

Lovely part of Wales, never felt the sea as warm as last few days. Always bump into plenty of jacks who like to have caravan there and go back and forth. Be good when they get that pub/cafe/shop up and running again mind. Any of you frequent? Great site to take kids....👍

Benny

Pembrey Country Park on 20:26 - Jul 28 with 2324 viewsItchySphincter

Played football for a dad's team down there last week, scored.

It's lovely.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Pembrey Country Park on 20:40 - Jul 28 with 2304 viewsCooperman

I’m a Pembrey boy, spent an extremely happy childhood in the village and had countless summer days spent cycling through the park and playing in the dunes. It was £1 for a season pass back in those days. Brilliant times.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Pembrey Country Park on 20:48 - Jul 28 with 2286 viewsswanforthemoney

Love swimming in the sea there when it gets really warm. Mind you, I had a paddle in the Bay Thursday night, like a warm bath it was.

I stand in the North Stand

Pembrey Country Park on 20:52 - Jul 28 with 2280 viewsbyron

Pembrey Country Park on 20:48 - Jul 28 by swanforthemoney

Love swimming in the sea there when it gets really warm. Mind you, I had a paddle in the Bay Thursday night, like a warm bath it was.

I’ve never known the sea as warm as it was Thursday pm in the uk, weirdly beautiful.

Benny

Pembrey Country Park on 20:57 - Jul 28 with 2265 viewsCooperman

Cefn Sidan was also one of the first UK beaches to win the prestigious Blue Flag award for cleanliness. No idea how clean it is now though.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2018 20:57]

Pembrey Country Park on 21:05 - Jul 28 with 2244 viewsjack2jack

Pembrey Country Park on 20:57 - Jul 28 by Cooperman

Cefn Sidan was also one of the first UK beaches to win the prestigious Blue Flag award for cleanliness. No idea how clean it is now though.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2018 20:57]

We used to go down to Cefn Sidan when I was a kid back in the 70s, way before it was a fancy country park.We used to park on an old concrete slab in the woods, near some old concrete bunkers, think they were part of an old ammunition store, from the war, maybe wrong.There was only one entrance to the beach then, through an old fence.
The walk down to the sea seemed like forever, and there was always Portuguese men of war washed up on the beach.
The dunes were a perfect place to muck about on, as you say.
Things have certainly changed since then, haven't been for many a year, will have to re aquaint myself with the area some day, although by the look of the weather today it maybe a while.
Pembrey Country Park on 21:06 - Jul 28 with 2244 viewslifelong

Pembrey Country Park on 20:52 - Jul 28 by byron

I’ve never known the sea as warm as it was Thursday pm in the uk, weirdly beautiful.

The sea around Gower is quite warm, however, the temperature of the sea around the West Pembrokeshire Coast is much cooler. Not sure about the sea around Cardiff Bay, it’s probably quite dirty.
Pembrey Country Park on 21:10 - Jul 28 with 2238 viewsItchySphincter

Pembrey Country Park on 21:05 - Jul 28 by jack2jack

We used to go down to Cefn Sidan when I was a kid back in the 70s, way before it was a fancy country park.We used to park on an old concrete slab in the woods, near some old concrete bunkers, think they were part of an old ammunition store, from the war, maybe wrong.There was only one entrance to the beach then, through an old fence.
The walk down to the sea seemed like forever, and there was always Portuguese men of war washed up on the beach.
Things have certainly changed since then, haven't been for many a year, will have to re aquaint myself with the area some day, although by the look of the weather today it maybe a while.

Its still pretty much the same. The little railway tracks and bunkers are still around if you look hard enough.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Pembrey Country Park on 21:21 - Jul 28 with 2224 viewsjack2jack

Pembrey Country Park on 21:10 - Jul 28 by ItchySphincter

Its still pretty much the same. The little railway tracks and bunkers are still around if you look hard enough.

Thought they would have been taken up as part of the redevelopment.
Now they really would bring back some memories, funny what sticks in the mind.
Always used to find spent gun cartridges laying around,as a kid that was exiting, guess they used to shoot rabbits down there.
Pembrey Country Park on 21:30 - Jul 28 with 2212 viewsCooperman

That’s right, it’s largely untouched in forty years. They have built a ski slope, centre for the caravan mob, a nine hole ‘pitch and put’ and several narrow gauge railways. Apart from that it’s how it looked when I played there. If you take the east loop back roads around the park the ammo bunkers are within yards of the road. They are all secured now as they store beach and park cleaning equipment within them but they were generally open access before the H&S subject kicked in.

Pembrey Country Park on 22:01 - Jul 28 with 2159 viewsbyron

Pembrey Country Park on 21:06 - Jul 28 by lifelong

The sea around Gower is quite warm, however, the temperature of the sea around the West Pembrokeshire Coast is much cooler. Not sure about the sea around Cardiff Bay, it’s probably quite dirty.

It’s deeper out west, spend a fair amount of time in Pembrokeshire. Gower area is shallower with fewer currents coming in from deep. It’s more crystal clear out west mind. The bay is never going to be swimable....lol

Benny

Pembrey Country Park on 22:02 - Jul 28 with 2158 viewsbyron

Yeah we found them, don’t think it’s chsnged much in decades. Is it protected somewhat? Hope so

Benny

Pembrey Country Park on 22:22 - Jul 28 with 2137 viewsdickythorpe

Spent loads öf weekends down there as a kid. Brilliant car parks down there to help learn to drive down there when I was 17.
Went down last in April in that hot spell. Packed it was.
There used to be up until last year a "beach rave" event but I think it's no more as it took too long to clean up after revellers.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2018 22:23]
Pembrey Country Park on 22:47 - Jul 28 with 2105 viewsBrynCartwright

Tupped an old girlfriend in the woods at Pembrey in 1991. First time outdoors for me. Bloody great it was.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Pembrey Country Park on 23:19 - Jul 28 with 2085 viewsBurryPortJack

Just down the road from me so lucky.
My Dad used to work at the ammunation base, he's how i found out about the German plane that was forced to land on the airfield there. The pilot tried his best to blow up the plane but didn't get the chance.

A friend of mine was on community sevice there digging out a pond and come across a unexploded bomb, the bomb disposal team came from somewhere in England.
When they got there they had a look and asked who found it? My mate explained he was helping dig a area for a pond, the army disposal guy said is the boss here? No my mate said he's gone to phone his Boss.
No worries i'll help you with this pond now, he told my mate to get back to a safe distance and basically blew the bomb which cleared an area much to my mates dissapointment as he thought the hole would be big enough for the pond so he could go home.
Pembrey Country Park on 23:21 - Jul 28 with 2082 viewsBurryPortJack

The cycling Tour of Britain is starting there in September.
Pembrey Country Park on 23:31 - Jul 28 with 2070 viewsBrynCartwright

Pembrey Country Park on 23:21 - Jul 28 by BurryPortJack

The cycling Tour of Britain is starting there in September.

As I live in the Bont, and want to see the race proper I think I'll head up to FFairfach near Llandeilo on the 2nd of September. Should be good, and hope Geraint is taking part. I believe Mark Cavendish is, who has tweeted a great congrats to G today.

Pembrey Country Park on 23:36 - Jul 28 with 2066 viewsBurryPortJack

Pembrey Country Park on 23:31 - Jul 28 by BrynCartwright

As I live in the Bont, and want to see the race proper I think I'll head up to FFairfach near Llandeilo on the 2nd of September. Should be good, and hope Geraint is taking part. I believe Mark Cavendish is, who has tweeted a great congrats to G today.

It starts in Pembrey but where does the first day finish?
Pembrey Country Park on 23:41 - Jul 28 with 2059 viewsBrynCartwright

Pembrey Country Park on 23:36 - Jul 28 by BurryPortJack

Newport, Gwent

Pembrey Country Park on 23:43 - Jul 28 with 2057 viewsBrynCartwright

Pembrey Country Park on 23:36 - Jul 28 by BurryPortJack

here you go my friend...

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage-one/

Pembrey Country Park on 23:50 - Jul 28 with 2051 viewsBurryPortJack

Pembrey Country Park on 23:43 - Jul 28 by BrynCartwright

here you go my friend...

Thank you.
Incredible how fit these guys are, that would take me a month to cycle lol
Pembrey Country Park on 00:33 - Jul 29 with 2017 viewstheloneranger

Pembrey Country Park on 21:05 - Jul 28 by jack2jack

It was a munitions factory in WW1, and there was a massive explosion in 1917 killing 6 people including 2 teenage girls from Swansea.

Friends 18 year old Mildred Owen, and 19 year old Mary Watson are both buried in Danygraig Cemetery, Port Tennant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p020c2b6

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Pembrey Country Park on 05:19 - Jul 29 with 1965 viewsWanderer

Pembrey Country Park on 23:43 - Jul 28 by BrynCartwright

here you go my friend...

Spent time recently back in Wales visiting relos, did that drive from Carmarthen to Yr Fenni ,lovely sunny Tuesday morning, absolutely beautiful !
Really refreshed the spirit, can only imagine cycling that route what a great start to the tour and a superb advert for the welsh countryside.
Go GT !!!
Pembrey Country Park on 18:35 - Jul 29 with 1787 viewsbyron

Pembrey Country Park on 05:19 - Jul 29 by Wanderer

Spent time recently back in Wales visiting relos, did that drive from Carmarthen to Yr Fenni ,lovely sunny Tuesday morning, absolutely beautiful !
Really refreshed the spirit, can only imagine cycling that route what a great start to the tour and a superb advert for the welsh countryside.
Go GT !!!

The welsh coastline is truly something, maybe we take it for granted somewhat, but the Gower down past pembrey through Carmarthenshire to Barafundle bay on to the spectacular coast of Pembrokeshire. I’m sure it continues up through Cardigan to North Wales too. Even the Heritage coast from the vale to ogmore is lovely in a different way, let’s not forget the lovely beach behind PT steelworks that many outsiders won’t even realise is there.

Benny

Pembrey Country Park on 19:59 - Jul 29 with 1752 viewsjack2jack

Pembrey Country Park on 00:33 - Jul 29 by theloneranger

It was a munitions factory in WW1, and there was a massive explosion in 1917 killing 6 people including 2 teenage girls from Swansea.

Friends 18 year old Mildred Owen, and 19 year old Mary Watson are both buried in Danygraig Cemetery, Port Tennant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p020c2b6

Thanks for the info Ranger and the link, always thought it was set up for WWII,
Very interesting thanks again👍
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024