Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sin-bin in football... 00:41 - Jul 31 with 1966 viewsDJack

"English football will continue its trials of temporary dismissals across 31 grassroots leagues in the new season before making ‘sin-bins’ mandatory for all leagues at Step Seven and below from 2019-20, the Football Association (FA) said on Monday.

Sin-bins were introduced in select divisions in England’s Step Seven – the lowest tier of the National League system – and lower leagues last year, with the focus on countering dissent.

Players shown a yellow card for dissent have to leave the field for 10 minutes.

The trial was introduced after the International Football Association Board, the sport’s law-making body, approved the use of sin-bins at lower levels of domestic football worldwide in March last year.

The FA said that it recorded an overall reduction in dissent in 25 leagues and a 38 percent reduction in dissent across all leagues. Their study added that 72 percent of players wanted the scheme to continue.

"I am delighted with the overall response towards last season's trial of temporary dismissals," Mark Ives, the FA's head of judicial services, told the FA's website here

“While the fall in dissent across the leagues involved has been fantastic to see, it is the collective sentiment towards the scheme and desire to continue with it that have been particularly encouraging.”

In 2018-19, the 31 leagues will also be joined by 61 other leagues across 16 counties that applied to participate in trials in the new season.

“I’d like to thank the county FAs, leagues, clubs, referees, coaches and players involved for their commitment and enthusiasm towards improving the grassroots game and look forward to seeing the continued impact of temporary dismissals,” Ives added."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-europe/fifpro-complains-of-insufficient

I didn't know anything of this...I quite like the idea

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Sin-bin in football... on 03:25 - Jul 31 with 1914 viewsE20Jack

Will make football very defensive. As soon as someone gets a player in the bin they will shut up shop and ride it out.

Works well in rugby where clear space opens up as there are overlaps due to linear formations, in football you just adjust the formation and close the space. Would turn it into an awful spectacle.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Sin-bin in football... on 09:30 - Jul 31 with 1815 viewsEasternJack

Or...

Players will stop harassing the referees.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Sin-bin in football... on 10:55 - Jul 31 with 1766 viewssherpajacob

I'm in favour.

I use it in mini football, games and training. Player commits a foul or back chats a decision, they come off for a period of time. Some of them learn very quickly.

Many times a free kick and yellow card is no deterrent to committing a foul. 10 minutes with 10 men is very different.

Would need transparent time keeping as well to stop the offending team subsequently wasting time, could even incur another sin bin.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Sin-bin in football... on 11:03 - Jul 31 with 1755 viewsMrSwerve

Will certainly get rid of time wasting yellows and silly needless tackles in stoppage time.

What happens if a keeper gets a yellow? Not read the article.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Sin-bin in football... on 11:07 - Jul 31 with 1743 viewsE20Jack

You would also end up having to physically assault someone before a yellow is given. We already see that with penalty decisions, it is almost a different set of rules as to what constitutes a foul when in the box. Or an example closer to the point is showing someone a second yellow card, getting the first one is an easy task - getting the important second one takes some work as refs are reluctant to make any decision which may change a game.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Sin-bin in football... on 11:43 - Jul 31 with 1704 viewstheloneranger

What happens if a player is shown a yellow for a foul, and then shows dissent to the ref because of his booking??

If the ref then shows him another yellow for dissent, does he then get a red card for 2 yellows. If so, then the 10 minutes cooling off idea goes out of the window.

Surely they should have a 3rd colour card for the dissent idea.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Sin-bin in football... on 11:47 - Jul 31 with 1692 viewslidojack

Are there not better options than ruining a game for 5-10 minutes at a time?

Fine them a weeks wage and they'll soon learn to keep quiet. You could even move the free kick forward 10 yards or to a move advantageous position.
Sin-bin in football... on 11:48 - Jul 31 with 1691 viewsploppy

For sin-bins to work (in serious football) they'll need a match clock, just like in rugby. There's no point a player being in the bin and then an injury taking up 5mins of it. I'm sure football will have a match clock eventually - will stop time wasting by goalkeepers, substitutions taking forever as a player strolls off the field, etc. but it's quite a radical change so won't happen any time soon.
Login to get fewer ads

Sin-bin in football... on 12:06 - Jul 31 with 1655 viewsKrisP

Sin-bin in football... on 11:07 - Jul 31 by E20Jack

You would also end up having to physically assault someone before a yellow is given. We already see that with penalty decisions, it is almost a different set of rules as to what constitutes a foul when in the box. Or an example closer to the point is showing someone a second yellow card, getting the first one is an easy task - getting the important second one takes some work as refs are reluctant to make any decision which may change a game.

Isn't this just for dissent?
Sin-bin in football... on 12:55 - Jul 31 with 1616 viewssherpajacob

Sin-bin in football... on 11:43 - Jul 31 by theloneranger

What happens if a player is shown a yellow for a foul, and then shows dissent to the ref because of his booking??

If the ref then shows him another yellow for dissent, does he then get a red card for 2 yellows. If so, then the 10 minutes cooling off idea goes out of the window.

Surely they should have a 3rd colour card for the dissent idea.

i don't see the problems

2nd yellow = red - No change there.

1st yellow = 10 minutes in the bin.

everyone wants to see an end to dissent. This is a positive way to deal with it.

For those saying it will spoil games, It might do for the first fortnight after its brought in. Those players too stupid to learn their lesson will quickly find themselves not being picked.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Sin-bin in football... on 23:04 - Jul 31 with 1525 viewsDJack

Sin-bin in football... on 12:55 - Jul 31 by sherpajacob

i don't see the problems

2nd yellow = red - No change there.

1st yellow = 10 minutes in the bin.

everyone wants to see an end to dissent. This is a positive way to deal with it.

For those saying it will spoil games, It might do for the first fortnight after its brought in. Those players too stupid to learn their lesson will quickly find themselves not being picked.

This matches my thoughts on the subject.

And another plus point...

We moan about the quality of referees in the BPL but unless we can keep (and increase) the number of referees at grass-roots level we will only have a small group to promote, from, up the leagues.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Sin-bin in football... on 23:35 - Jul 31 with 1500 viewsFireboy2

In my experience of playing rugby league it stops back chat as you let your team down by dropping your team by one player and by doing this it makes one team have to defend more and the other attack more which will make the game quite interesting,which in turn can only be good for the game
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024