Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anniversary of the destruction of Peenemunde 22:39 - Aug 7 with 927 viewslonglostjack

70 years ago today. Thanks to the brave bombers of the RAF who took a hell of a risk on that mission. They were pretty much castigated after the war and had none of the recognition of Spitfire pilots.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 22:39]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Anniversary of the destruction of Peenemunde on 06:17 - Aug 8 with 825 viewsjackal

Wasn't it from there that the doodle bugs were launched?

Good 60's film "Operation Crossbow".
Anniversary of the destruction of Peenemunde on 11:18 - Aug 8 with 748 viewslonglostjack

Need to edit my original post. The raid was on 16th/17th August 1943 so out by a week and it's the 75th anniversary. I realise I was listening to a radio programme that had been recorded 5 years ago with an interview of one of the pilots who was 20 years old at the time. Difficult to concentrate fully when driving on an autobahn!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Hydra_(1943)

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Anniversary of the destruction of Peenemunde on 11:47 - Aug 8 with 719 viewsBadlands

My old man worked on Spitfires and Hurricanes throughout the war with some loans out to bomber command; he was incredibly proud of RAF and we have letters he sent home from December 1944 saying he was applying to stay on beyond the end of the war (which was obviously in sight).
Then Dresden happened and he said he couldn't wait to leave. He always claimed it was a war crime and the event destroyed the image of an otherwise incredible group.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Anniversary of the destruction of Peenemunde on 15:42 - Aug 8 with 652 viewsLord_Bony

Anniversary of the destruction of Peenemunde on 11:47 - Aug 8 by Badlands

My old man worked on Spitfires and Hurricanes throughout the war with some loans out to bomber command; he was incredibly proud of RAF and we have letters he sent home from December 1944 saying he was applying to stay on beyond the end of the war (which was obviously in sight).
Then Dresden happened and he said he couldn't wait to leave. He always claimed it was a war crime and the event destroyed the image of an otherwise incredible group.

Very brave men indeed in the RAF,many of them just kids.

The bombing of peenemunde was a daring raid,it undoubtably saved many lives from the V2 missile in s e England.

Unfortunately due to bombing inaccuracies it was not successful in halting the production of these lethal weapons at the factory.

Per ardua ad Astra.

This post has been edited by an administrator

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024