Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone like a bit of gardening? 23:56 - Aug 10 with 1597 viewslonglostjack

Vegetables - I always plant new potatoes. Flowers - Lavatera easy and give a good show. Like gardening apart from cutting the lawn.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 07:57 - Aug 11 with 1120 viewsdickythorpe

The missus and I had a plot for several years and once you get into it, it can really consume you!

Moved house 3 years ago and have only a lawn and greenhouse now.

You can't beat the taste of your own home grown veg.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2018 7:57]
Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 08:34 - Aug 11 with 1101 viewsBrynCartwright

The new potatoes (Charlotte) this year have been awesome. I made the mistake of having 17 courgette plants, so have been swamped by the amount of courgettes coming off them. Been giving them away for weeks, and the freezer is rammed. Onions and Spring Onions OK, but not amazing. Thinned out the leeks this week, replanted 6 inches deep. I have planted borders of Cosmos around the lawns, and they are just brilliant flowers for bees, look great with lots of colour variety, and will keep flowering for ages, hopefully into late September.

I find gardening is not just great exercise, provides great tasting vegetables, but is also therapeutic.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 08:49 - Aug 11 with 1096 viewsLoyal

Fruity from Farnborough loved a bit of gardening.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 08:53 - Aug 11 with 1091 viewspikeypaul

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 08:34 - Aug 11 by BrynCartwright

The new potatoes (Charlotte) this year have been awesome. I made the mistake of having 17 courgette plants, so have been swamped by the amount of courgettes coming off them. Been giving them away for weeks, and the freezer is rammed. Onions and Spring Onions OK, but not amazing. Thinned out the leeks this week, replanted 6 inches deep. I have planted borders of Cosmos around the lawns, and they are just brilliant flowers for bees, look great with lots of colour variety, and will keep flowering for ages, hopefully into late September.

I find gardening is not just great exercise, provides great tasting vegetables, but is also therapeutic.

If you want you can come around and cut the grass whilst I watch the footie and cricket.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 09:21 - Aug 11 with 1067 viewsowainglyndwr

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 08:53 - Aug 11 by pikeypaul

If you want you can come around and cut the grass whilst I watch the footie and cricket.

I have had a allotment for the last 2 years they had been newly started, so a learning curve for most of us.
I am now starting to plan for next year
Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 09:35 - Aug 11 with 1057 viewsBrynCartwright

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 08:53 - Aug 11 by pikeypaul

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 09:40 - Aug 11 with 1051 viewspikeypaul

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 09:35 - Aug 11 by BrynCartwright

I dislike gardening with a passion.

I used to pay to have it done but since I retired and have so much free time I feel a lazy bugger if I do not do it myself so reluctantly I do it.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 11:27 - Aug 11 with 1028 viewsBrynCartwright

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 09:40 - Aug 11 by pikeypaul

I dislike gardening with a passion.

I used to pay to have it done but since I retired and have so much free time I feel a lazy bugger if I do not do it myself so reluctantly I do it.

Fair enough Piker...each to their own muchacho.

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:26 - Aug 11 with 965 viewsJack_Meoff

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 08:34 - Aug 11 by BrynCartwright

Not sure what happened to my reply.

17 courgette plants bryn, how big is your patch?!!

Love gardening, third growing year of the allotment after coming in green (*ahem*).

Very decent so far, had around fifty garlic bulbs and a decent crop of onions. Had a bed full of Duke of York and a bed of Charlottes, main crop beds of Maris Pipers and Carola will probably see me into the new year. Ongoing also are courgettes (three plants were enough!), lettuce, salad leaves, cucumbers, radish, kale, Swiss chard, beetroot, carrots, runner beans and strawberries. Also got leeks, sprouts and parsnips in for later in the year, and trying asparagus for next year.

In the greenhouse got seven tomato plants of different varieties nearly ready (had my first lot yesterday) and the chillies and peppers are doing well too.

Therapeutic is right, I love it up there. Genuinely think it's good to connect (or reconnect) with nature. Seems to have got lost in today's world.

Views from the plot:

Yesterday's yield pretty decent:

Acutely aware of the sadness of taking snaps of vegetables...

Taste is absolutely different level though
[Post edited 11 Aug 2018 22:06]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 20:36 - Aug 11 with 960 viewslifelong

One of my neighbours has a large plot and grows all sorts of veg, this week I supplied him with some Mackerel and a Lobster, in exchange, this morning, he gave me about 6lb of tomatoes, a couple of cucumber, some peppers and aubergine.
A great arrangement.
Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 21:03 - Aug 11 with 937 viewsItchySphincter

Oldjack is in to uphill gardening.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:55 - Aug 11 with 915 viewsDJack

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:26 - Aug 11 by Jack_Meoff

Love gardening, third growing year of the allotment after coming in green (*ahem*).

Very decent so far, had around fifty garlic bulbs and a decent crop of onions. Had a bed full of Duke of York and a bed of Charlottes, main crop beds of Maris Pipers and Carola will probably see me into the new year. Ongoing also are courgettes (three plants were enough!), lettuce, salad leaves, cucumbers, radish, kale, Swiss chard, beetroot, carrots, runner beans and strawberries. Also got leeks, sprouts and parsnips in for later in the year, and trying asparagus for next year.

In the greenhouse got seven tomato plants of different varieties nearly ready (had my first lot yesterday) and the chillies and peppers are doing well too.

Therapeutic is right, I love it up there. Genuinely think it's good to connect (or reconnect) with nature. Seems to have got lost in today's world.

Views from the plot:

Awesome JM. I'm jealous as I'm a talentless fck.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:03 - Aug 11 with 902 viewsBrynCartwright

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:26 - Aug 11 by Jack_Meoff

Views from the plot:

JM..I am in awe at the amazing views from your plot. Can imagine supping on a cold one, after a day working up there, whilst listening to a few choice tunes must be like heaven on Earth eh? A very impressive plethora of veggies also I must admit.

Yes...next year, maybe 4 or 5 courgette plants only. I just hate wasting seedlings. Must give them away.

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:09 - Aug 11 with 898 viewsN_T_J

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 20:36 - Aug 11 by lifelong

One of my neighbours has a large plot and grows all sorts of veg, this week I supplied him with some Mackerel and a Lobster, in exchange, this morning, he gave me about 6lb of tomatoes, a couple of cucumber, some peppers and aubergine.
A great arrangement.

Where were you catching the Mackerel?
Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:13 - Aug 11 with 896 viewslifelong

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:09 - Aug 11 by N_T_J

Where were you catching the Mackerel?

Pembrokeshire, out of Porthclais Harbour, St David’s.

They are not plentiful this year, all the fishermen are complaining, I caught a dozen last week but had to fish hard for them.
Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:20 - Aug 11 with 886 viewsN_T_J

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:13 - Aug 11 by lifelong

They are not plentiful this year, all the fishermen are complaining, I caught a dozen last week but had to fish hard for them.

So you have a boat?

Best place for Mackerel was the East pier, just jig over the side and pull them in for fun. Awesome fun with 4 or 5 on a trace.

Suprised they aint plentiful with the nice weather we have had.
Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:24 - Aug 11 with 882 viewslifelong

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:20 - Aug 11 by N_T_J

So you have a boat?

Best place for Mackerel was the East pier, just jig over the side and pull them in for fun. Awesome fun with 4 or 5 on a trace.

Suprised they aint plentiful with the nice weather we have had.

Yes.

It’s unusual, the sea should be full of them this time of the year.
(No subject) (n/t) on 23:29 - Aug 11 with 876 viewsJack_Meoff

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:03 - Aug 11 by BrynCartwright

JM..I am in awe at the amazing views from your plot. Can imagine supping on a cold one, after a day working up there, whilst listening to a few choice tunes must be like heaven on Earth eh? A very impressive plethora of veggies also I must admit.

Yes...next year, maybe 4 or 5 courgette plants only. I just hate wasting seedlings. Must give them away.

Heaven on earth isn't a bad description Bryn mate. Absolutely love it. The hard work is done so when I toddle off with the dog on a Friday or Saturday (sometimes Sunday!) with a cold four pack in my bag it's lovely to just sit, sip and enjoy the view (in between the usual jobs that need doing). It sounds cheesy but I do think it's good for the soul. Great place to listen to podcasts and audiobooks too as well as tunes.

We'll have to get a sticky on the non football board; Growers' pics, tips and tricks. As long as no one posts mucky ones of Titchmarsh...

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:29 - Aug 11 with 876 viewsN_T_J

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:24 - Aug 11 by lifelong

Yes.

It’s unusual, the sea should be full of them this time of the year.

You had much Bass this season? Can you keep them if caught on the boat?
Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:36 - Aug 11 with 868 viewslifelong

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:29 - Aug 11 by N_T_J

You had much Bass this season? Can you keep them if caught on the boat?

No.

Total ban, if caught must be returned.

Anyone caught catching them and keeping them face a heavy fine.
Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:36 - Aug 11 with 868 viewslonglostjack

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:13 - Aug 11 by lifelong

Strange. Never known mackerel not to be plentiful. Great year for fruit.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 06:04 - Aug 12 with 823 viewsBrynCartwright

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 23:36 - Aug 11 by lifelong

No.

Total ban, if caught must be returned.

Anyone caught catching them and keeping them face a heavy fine.

So how did Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse get away with keeping the bass they caught off the Needles in their BBC fishing series then Lifey? Must admit I did enjoy that series.

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 07:58 - Aug 12 with 808 viewsN_T_J

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 06:04 - Aug 12 by BrynCartwright

So how did Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse get away with keeping the bass they caught off the Needles in their BBC fishing series then Lifey? Must admit I did enjoy that series.

When was the series filmed? I think total ban came in this year?

When I last fished for bass, summer 2016 It was a 3 fish rule. Not sure what 2017 was like though.
Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 08:46 - Aug 12 with 798 viewsPacemaker

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 20:36 - Aug 11 by lifelong

A great arrangement.

Talking to a guy who runs a boat out of the marina a few months back who was telling me how many Lobsters he gets off the Port Talbot Harbour long arm.

I didn't know they were so plentiful around here.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 08:54 - Aug 12 with 795 viewsBrynCartwright

Does anyone like a bit of gardening? on 07:58 - Aug 12 by N_T_J

When was the series filmed? I think total ban came in this year?

When I last fished for bass, summer 2016 It was a 3 fish rule. Not sure what 2017 was like though.

Ah that's it then. They would have filmed it in 2017. The bass they caught was a big bugger 'n all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024