Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irresponsible cyclists... 17:34 - Aug 12 with 25000 viewsSwanjaxs

Walking my dogs down to Singleton Park this morning and coming towards me on bikes were a father and daughter (about five or six year old) just outside Tesco Express by the bus stop the daughter had a bit of a wobble lost control and fell off her bike, no harm done as they were going uphill and at low speed, she got up straight away, now here's the thing, neither had helmets on, so being a safety conscious type of a bloke i stopped and suggested he put a helmet on his daughter even if he was stupid enough not to, he told me to fùck off and mind my own business.... In my opinion the sooner compulsory wearing of safety helmets for cyclists comes in by law the better! I'll get off my soapbox now 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Irresponsible cyclists... on 07:01 - Aug 14 with 1982 viewspeenemunde

Irresponsible cyclists... on 19:45 - Aug 13 by exiledclaseboy

This seems to have a fairly simple solution. Cyclists wearing helmets is clearly a good thing. Changing the law to make it compulsory for cyclists to wear helmets is likely to reduce the number of people cycling with all the associated health benefits. That’s a bad thing. Also such a law would be entirely impossible to enforce meaning it would be a token gesture at best. Another bad thing. We have thousands of pointless and unenforceable laws already. We do not need another.

So clearly what’s needed is some kind of high profile communications/marketing/education campaign to persuade those hardy refuseniks who would stop cycling if forced to wear a helmet that the wearing of helmets is actually a good thing and may end up saving their lives one day.

Policymaking 101. You can all thank me later when you’ve stopped being nasty to each other.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 19:48]

Most cyclists I’ve come across are intelligent people and don’t need some kind of marketing campaign to tell them what they already know.

I remember you saying in the past that you smoke, so your above statement ⬆️ Seems a bit ridiculous to be honest, as you obviously haven’t taken any notice of the multi million £ anti smoking campaigns.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 07:10 - Aug 14 with 1981 viewsjackal

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:48 - Aug 13 by LeonWasGod

Not quite right. You have a dual carriage way for anyone/thing entitled to use it, not just cars. That could be bikes, horses, motorcycles, whatever. And then the cycle / walkway. I only mention it because a lot of people wrongly assume cycles aren’t supposed to be on the road, but they’re perfectly entitled to be.

Depressing thread this (apart from the astute mention of the bell, which is spot on and funny if you’re a cyclist).

I’m not clear what the evidence is about the effectiveness of helmets. I never had one when I was a kid and I lived on my bike, a lot more than kids do today. And I suspect most of us on here did. It’s certainly clear the health and mental benefits of cycling far outweigh any risks, helmetted or not. I ask my kids to wear a helmet and I do too, but know they won’t make a difference if we’re hit by a car not giving us enough room. I write this from a campsite in the Loire Valley, which is filled with kids riding bikes without helmets - they’re having a great time.

And as for tax, that’s just ignorance. As said it’s vehicle duty and cycles are exempt the same as a low emission car would be. Insurance- that’s more of an argument and liability insurance is something a lot of club cyclists would have, and anyone taking part in events would have it as part of the entrance fee or their club membership. But should we enforce it on casual cyclists and kids learning? Again, how many on here had it when they were kids? Why be so anal?

But that’s all nothing compared to how selfish we’re becoming. That’s why I find threads like this depressing. Cyclists are becoming a target; it’s clearly apparent on here (although this is pretty good as far as the regular anti-cycling threads go). This hate is apparent on the road. It’s becoming them and us, but at the end of the day cyclists are just people. They’re brothers, sisters, fathers, grandmothers, friends. And most are drivers too. Just like you. They just happen to be far more vulnerable and more squishy when not wrapped up in steel.

It takes nothing to give a cyclist room (or horse rider, or pedestrian where there’s no pavement, or runner). Nothing. Well, we have to lift our foot a little, maybe change down a gear. But that’s not too hard is it? Meanwhile the cyclist may be wandering as they could be knackered or avoiding one of the many potholes that can literally be fatal to them. Is it too hard to give them a bit of time and space. I manage. Are you too selfish to care?

And that’s what a lot of this seems to boil down to - selfishness. It’s noticeable in France that people are far more aware and respectful of other road users. But what do we have in the UK? - “But they don't pay tax and I do” er, they are not required to for their bike, but they probably do for their car. “But they’re in the way” - so are you to someone going quicker.

Try cycling a mile in their shoes, and then hopefully another and another. Who knows you may become healthier and happier.

Sorry for the long thread; thought it best to get it all off my chest in one go.

Be kind to each other out there 🚴‍♂️ 🚙 👍

PS. Sounds like the guy the OP met was a rude arsehole. That’s prople for you, irrespective of hos they’re travelling.

Of course cyclists have a perfect right to use the roads and I always treat them with care and courtesy giving them a wide berth when passing them.

Yesterday I was driving from Mumbles. Traffic was slow and stop start. Eventually the reason became clear. A cyclist was on the road.

He was 10 yards from the cycle path but he insisted on being on the busy road.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 07:17 - Aug 14 with 1964 viewsAndy1300

Irresponsible cyclists... on 07:10 - Aug 14 by jackal

Of course cyclists have a perfect right to use the roads and I always treat them with care and courtesy giving them a wide berth when passing them.

Yesterday I was driving from Mumbles. Traffic was slow and stop start. Eventually the reason became clear. A cyclist was on the road.

Have you tried riding a road bike on that cycle path?

It's awful past the golf course, too narrow, people walking dogs, some off leads.

He does not have to use the cycle path, just like you don't have to use the motorway.

Just like motorways, cycle paths don't always go where you want to get to

What this country needs are dedicate cycle lanes that are 'fit for purpose'

Until then, roads are the best option for cyclists on 'road bikes'

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 07:17 - Aug 14 with 1964 viewscsf

Irresponsible cyclists... on 07:10 - Aug 14 by jackal

I would hazard a guess that the speed he was rising was prpbabyl far too quick for the cycle path. I regularly ride down to the mumbles and use the road, between the LC2 and the pilot pub the average speed is probably around 18mph. That could cause serious injury on the path.

I choose to ride as early as possible though which means their isn't a great deal of traffic certainly on the way out,although it gets busier coming back through town.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 08:40 - Aug 14 with 1910 viewspikeypaul

Irresponsible cyclists... on 06:48 - Aug 14 by peenemunde

No what is shocking is the amount of people that die from a sedentary life style.

Correct.

The biggest cost to the NHS is from treating illness from obesity.

Maybe the fatties should pay more tax?

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Irresponsible cyclists... on 08:43 - Aug 14 with 1919 viewsJackSomething

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:48 - Aug 13 by LeonWasGod

Not quite right. You have a dual carriage way for anyone/thing entitled to use it, not just cars. That could be bikes, horses, motorcycles, whatever. And then the cycle / walkway. I only mention it because a lot of people wrongly assume cycles aren’t supposed to be on the road, but they’re perfectly entitled to be.

Depressing thread this (apart from the astute mention of the bell, which is spot on and funny if you’re a cyclist).

I’m not clear what the evidence is about the effectiveness of helmets. I never had one when I was a kid and I lived on my bike, a lot more than kids do today. And I suspect most of us on here did. It’s certainly clear the health and mental benefits of cycling far outweigh any risks, helmetted or not. I ask my kids to wear a helmet and I do too, but know they won’t make a difference if we’re hit by a car not giving us enough room. I write this from a campsite in the Loire Valley, which is filled with kids riding bikes without helmets - they’re having a great time.

And as for tax, that’s just ignorance. As said it’s vehicle duty and cycles are exempt the same as a low emission car would be. Insurance- that’s more of an argument and liability insurance is something a lot of club cyclists would have, and anyone taking part in events would have it as part of the entrance fee or their club membership. But should we enforce it on casual cyclists and kids learning? Again, how many on here had it when they were kids? Why be so anal?

But that’s all nothing compared to how selfish we’re becoming. That’s why I find threads like this depressing. Cyclists are becoming a target; it’s clearly apparent on here (although this is pretty good as far as the regular anti-cycling threads go). This hate is apparent on the road. It’s becoming them and us, but at the end of the day cyclists are just people. They’re brothers, sisters, fathers, grandmothers, friends. And most are drivers too. Just like you. They just happen to be far more vulnerable and more squishy when not wrapped up in steel.

It takes nothing to give a cyclist room (or horse rider, or pedestrian where there’s no pavement, or runner). Nothing. Well, we have to lift our foot a little, maybe change down a gear. But that’s not too hard is it? Meanwhile the cyclist may be wandering as they could be knackered or avoiding one of the many potholes that can literally be fatal to them. Is it too hard to give them a bit of time and space. I manage. Are you too selfish to care?

And that’s what a lot of this seems to boil down to - selfishness. It’s noticeable in France that people are far more aware and respectful of other road users. But what do we have in the UK? - “But they don't pay tax and I do” er, they are not required to for their bike, but they probably do for their car. “But they’re in the way” - so are you to someone going quicker.

Try cycling a mile in their shoes, and then hopefully another and another. Who knows you may become healthier and happier.

Sorry for the long thread; thought it best to get it all off my chest in one go.

Be kind to each other out there 🚴‍♂️ 🚙 👍

PS. Sounds like the guy the OP met was a rude arsehole. That’s prople for you, irrespective of hos they’re travelling.

It's not just motorists to cyclists. The attitudes of car drivers to each other, motorbikes to anyone else on the road, cyclists, it's all so aggressive. I'm honestly surprised there aren't more accidents. Not saying I'm blameless either, I try my best but am aware I'm not perfect by any stretch.

I don't know a solution, as this thread shows just how polarised people are on yet another subject and that seems to be the root of the problem.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Irresponsible cyclists... on 08:45 - Aug 14 with 1916 viewsWarwickHunt

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:21 - Aug 13 by Andy1300

Yes I cycle, I also drive and I ride a motorcycle.

Why call me a cyclist?

Because it fits your agenda I guess

Doesn't have the same ring if you called me a driver would it

Because your post was from a cyclist’s perspective.

Not exactly rocket science.

Touchy little fûcker, aren’t you? Typical cyclist.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 9:22]
Irresponsible cyclists... on 09:40 - Aug 14 with 1890 viewsdickythorpe

7 pages....smoking has been brought up.....excellent work.
Off to the bank to release funds and get Phil S holiday brochure.
Login to get fewer ads

Irresponsible cyclists... on 09:56 - Aug 14 with 1881 viewsBatterseajack

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:31 - Aug 13 by WxmJax

That is a shocking amount of deaths. For the life of me I can't understand why cyclists do their utmost to be unseen by blending in with the background. I'd have thought that wearing a Hi Viz top was a given but sadly too many cyclists are too vain to wear one.

Dangerous and reckless driving behavior is the key factor, yet this is not tackled head on and too few drivers get prosecuted.

Hi Vis does nothing if the driver isn't concentrating on whats in front of them, pi$$ing about on their phone, or driving far too fast in built up areas.

A total of 54 cyclists have been killed in London since 2010.

Police data obtained under freedom of information laws revealed the longest sentence imposed on a driver was four years. This was handed out last May to Barry Normah, 28, for killing 17-year-old Olatunji “TJ” Adeyanju in Deptford. Normah had sped through a red light and drove off soon after the collision before dumping the car.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/40-cyclists-killed-4-drivers-jailed-exclu

6 months jail time for someone who admited to causing death by dangerous driving...
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/ban-for-driver-who-killed-cyclist-is-slap-

It emerged at her inquest yesterday that police decided in February to take no further action against driver Gurpreet Shergill, who was on the phone using a hands-free device at the time, and allegedly failed to indicate.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/we-are-shocked-driver-won-t-face-court-sa
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 10:10]
Irresponsible cyclists... on 10:05 - Aug 14 with 1875 viewsBatterseajack

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:14 - Aug 13 by WxmJax

I don't mean to be rude but that's the stupid answer I don't get (but sadly expect). There's a reason police, council workers, lorry drivers, recovery services etc etc wear them in their jobs, precisely to be more visible. So why don't the vast majority of road cyclists ?
People still get killed in cars involved in accidents while wearing seat belts and airbags activated so should we stop using these ? No, of course not because if we did there would be even more deaths. I bet the majority of cyclists killed are not wearing Hi-Viz. It IS vanity, otherwise people would wear it.

Well i guess thats an argument for us all to drive around with helmets on like F1 and Rally car drivers. It would certainly save more lives.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 10:22 - Aug 14 with 1865 viewsSwanjaxs

Irresponsible cyclists... on 06:34 - Aug 14 by peenemunde

What if you fell whilst walking and banged your head on the curb ?
Does that mean you should have been wearing a helmet ?
Nanny state ffs.
Bit of advice for you, you worry about yourself and let others worry about themselves.

Bit of advice for you, stop talking bollòxs about absolutely everything under the sun on here 👍like I've stated over and over again it was purely out of concern for vulnerable young child on a bicycle, on a busy road, without a safety helmet on who fell off, I'll say no more on this

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Irresponsible cyclists... on 10:29 - Aug 14 with 1855 viewspikeypaul

Who the feck is anyone to interfere ?

Surprised the guy did not give the OP a clip around the ear.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧

Irresponsible cyclists... on 10:39 - Aug 14 with 1852 viewsSwanjaxs

Irresponsible cyclists... on 10:29 - Aug 14 by pikeypaul

Who the feck is anyone to interfere ?

Surprised the guy did not give the OP a clip around the ear.

Id like to see you try you maggot 😂

Irresponsible cyclists... on 10:49 - Aug 14 with 1839 viewspeenemunde

Irresponsible cyclists... on 09:40 - Aug 14 by dickythorpe

7 pages....smoking has been brought up.....excellent work.
Off to the bank to release funds and get Phil S holiday brochure.

Smoking is disgusting end of.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 11:10 - Aug 14 with 1824 viewsdickythorpe

Irresponsible cyclists... on 10:49 - Aug 14 by peenemunde

Smoking is disgusting end of.

Vaping I see isn't good for you according to an article I saw today..... Who'd have thunk it?
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 11:11]
Irresponsible cyclists... on 14:24 - Aug 14 with 1779 viewsjackal

Irresponsible cyclists... on 07:17 - Aug 14 by Andy1300

Have you tried riding a road bike on that cycle path?

It's awful past the golf course, too narrow, people walking dogs, some off leads.

He does not have to use the cycle path, just like you don't have to use the motorway.

Just like motorways, cycle paths don't always go where you want to get to

What this country needs are dedicate cycle lanes that are 'fit for purpose'

Until then, roads are the best option for cyclists on 'road bikes'

He was not by the golf course. Where, incidentally , there is a cycle path on both sides of the Mumbles road.

The cycle path was going his way because we were stuck b, ehind him for a couple of miles and he cycled parallel to it.

He was going slowly which is why it took so long.

It seems to me that cyclists expect consideration from motorists and pedestrians but give none in return. an example of which was this plonker.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 14:48]
Irresponsible cyclists... on 14:28 - Aug 14 with 1775 viewsJackfath

Irresponsible cyclists... on 14:24 - Aug 14 by jackal

He was not by the golf course. Where, incidentally , there is a cycle path on both sides of the Mumbles road.

The cycle path was going his way because we were stuck b, ehind him for a couple of miles and he cycled parallel to it.

He was going slowly which is why it took so long.

It seems to me that cyclists expect consideration from motorists and pedestrians but give none in return. an example of which was this plonker.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 14:48]

Did he halve a helmet on and was he vaping?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Irresponsible cyclists... on 14:50 - Aug 14 with 1760 viewsjackal

Irresponsible cyclists... on 14:28 - Aug 14 by Jackfath

Helmet yes, vaping no.

He was wearing a Liverpool shirt which helped to wind me up.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 16:55 - Aug 14 with 1730 viewspikeypaul

Irresponsible cyclists... on 10:39 - Aug 14 by Swanjaxs

Id like to see you try you maggot 😂

Do yourself a favour son and keep quiet.

You've made a tw@t of yourself throughout this thread with you aggressiveness and mightier than thou attitude with other posters tying you in knots.

It was not me who's Sunday morning you got needlessly involved in and if you keep going around with that attitude towards strangers it's only time before someone puts you on your arse even though you seem to think you are some sort of hard man.

Irresponsible cyclists... on 17:09 - Aug 14 with 1727 viewsPhil_S

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:15 - Aug 13 by dickythorpe

6 pages!!!! Well done all. I will inject some more cash into this site.

Can you make the payment this time payable to P Sumbler please rather than the usual Planet Swans

Just easier to keep the books up straight that way

To be honest our sh*te end to the transfer window has subsidised next year's holiday thanks to the anger anyway so if cashflow is an issue wait until after September

I've emailed the club, think a signing of Marvin Emnes should keep us afloat until the end of the year
Irresponsible cyclists... on 18:29 - Aug 14 with 1691 viewsdickythorpe

Irresponsible cyclists... on 17:09 - Aug 14 by Phil_S

Can you make the payment this time payable to P Sumbler please rather than the usual Planet Swans

Just easier to keep the books up straight that way

To be honest our sh*te end to the transfer window has subsidised next year's holiday thanks to the anger anyway so if cashflow is an issue wait until after September

I've emailed the club, think a signing of Marvin Emnes should keep us afloat until the end of the year

I would prefer to keep my financial contributions private...... You won't hear me on here bleat about my generous donations.....

Glad you liked that speedboat I picked out for you.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 20:21 - Aug 14 with 1652 viewsAndy1300

Irresponsible cyclists... on 08:45 - Aug 14 by WarwickHunt

Because your post was from a cyclist’s perspective.

Not exactly rocket science.

Touchy little fûcker, aren’t you? Typical cyclist.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 9:22]

My post was stating facts

A lot of posts are just opinions

I wasn't coming from any perspective actually

I haven't cycled since last august, I drive every day

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 20:34 - Aug 14 with 1636 viewsWarwickHunt

Irresponsible cyclists... on 18:29 - Aug 14 by dickythorpe

I would prefer to keep my financial contributions private...... You won't hear me on here bleat about my generous donations.....

Glad you liked that speedboat I picked out for you.

Hours of fun in the bath.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 20:37 - Aug 14 with 1635 viewsWarwickHunt

Irresponsible cyclists... on 20:21 - Aug 14 by Andy1300

My post was stating facts

A lot of posts are just opinions

I wasn't coming from any perspective actually

I haven't cycled since last august, I drive every day

Good lad.

You know it makes sense. FACT!
Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:13 - Aug 14 with 1592 viewsDJack

Irresponsible cyclists... on 14:28 - Aug 14 by Jackfath

Have, yes. Halve, probably not.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024