Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irresponsible cyclists... 17:34 - Aug 12 with 24999 viewsSwanjaxs

Walking my dogs down to Singleton Park this morning and coming towards me on bikes were a father and daughter (about five or six year old) just outside Tesco Express by the bus stop the daughter had a bit of a wobble lost control and fell off her bike, no harm done as they were going uphill and at low speed, she got up straight away, now here's the thing, neither had helmets on, so being a safety conscious type of a bloke i stopped and suggested he put a helmet on his daughter even if he was stupid enough not to, he told me to fùck off and mind my own business.... In my opinion the sooner compulsory wearing of safety helmets for cyclists comes in by law the better! I'll get off my soapbox now 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:00 - Aug 13 with 1631 viewsjack2jack

Irresponsible cyclists... on 20:49 - Aug 13 by Swanjaxs

At last a common sense post 👏

My pleasure, I mean it's not rocket science is it.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:15 - Aug 13 with 1603 viewsdickythorpe

6 pages!!!! Well done all. I will inject some more cash into this site.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:31 - Aug 13 with 1572 viewsWxmJax

Irresponsible cyclists... on 10:27 - Aug 13 by Batterseajack

No Graphs this time, to keep it nice and simple for you.

I pinched this from Chris Boardmans article, who himself sells hemlemts...

About 110 people are killed each year while cycling on our roads, almost all of these resulting from a collision with a motor vehicle, where the protection offered by a cycling helmet is negligible.

At this point, we usually hear a cry of ‘If it saves one life it’s worth it’. Well, evidence tells us that where helmets have been made mandatory, cycling use drops significantly (30%-40% in Perth, Western Australia). Well, at least if they’re no longer riding, they’re not dying. Enter unintended consequences.

A recent study by the University of Glasgow showed that people who regularly commute by bike almost halve their chances of dying from heart disease and cancer compared to people who drive. In fact their chances of dying prematurely by any cause, drops by 41%. Let those numbers sink in.

In the UK 1 in 6 deaths - nearly 90,000 per year - is as a result of physical inactivity related disease including diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Clearly, any measure proven beyond doubt to reduce peoples likelihood to travel by bike, will almost certainly kill more people than it saves.

Long version here.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/article/20171126-Chris-Boardman-0

That is a shocking amount of deaths. For the life of me I can't understand why cyclists do their utmost to be unseen by blending in with the background. I'd have thought that wearing a Hi Viz top was a given but sadly too many cyclists are too vain to wear one.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:32 - Aug 13 with 1571 viewsAndy1300

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:54 - Aug 12 by Jack11

The legislation around bicycles needs addressing- these electric bikes can go fast. It won’t be long before we’re getting overtaken by shoreditch samurai’s off their nuts on skinny frothy latte’s and too many gourmet scotch eggs.

Electric bikes are restricted by law to 15mph

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:43 - Aug 13 with 1554 viewsAndy1300

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:31 - Aug 13 by WxmJax

That is a shocking amount of deaths. For the life of me I can't understand why cyclists do their utmost to be unseen by blending in with the background. I'd have thought that wearing a Hi Viz top was a given but sadly too many cyclists are too vain to wear one.

Have you seen how many highly visible bridges, signs, and vehicles are hit by drivers that are not paying attention to the road and conditions?

The Hi-Viz argument is not a valid argument.

My mate was hit off his bike on a roundabout while he was wearing Hi-Viz.

Nothing about vanity.

Perhaps they should only sell highly visible coloured vehicles then? those black ones are really hard to see in the dark without lights on

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:48 - Aug 13 with 1548 viewsLeonWasGod

Irresponsible cyclists... on 18:12 - Aug 13 by jackal

Too right.

Along the Mumbles road you have a dual carriageway for cars, a clearly marked cycle path and a clearly marked pedestrian footway.

It's amazing how this is beyond the comprehension of so many people.

Not quite right. You have a dual carriage way for anyone/thing entitled to use it, not just cars. That could be bikes, horses, motorcycles, whatever. And then the cycle / walkway. I only mention it because a lot of people wrongly assume cycles aren’t supposed to be on the road, but they’re perfectly entitled to be.

Depressing thread this (apart from the astute mention of the bell, which is spot on and funny if you’re a cyclist).

I’m not clear what the evidence is about the effectiveness of helmets. I never had one when I was a kid and I lived on my bike, a lot more than kids do today. And I suspect most of us on here did. It’s certainly clear the health and mental benefits of cycling far outweigh any risks, helmetted or not. I ask my kids to wear a helmet and I do too, but know they won’t make a difference if we’re hit by a car not giving us enough room. I write this from a campsite in the Loire Valley, which is filled with kids riding bikes without helmets - they’re having a great time.

And as for tax, that’s just ignorance. As said it’s vehicle duty and cycles are exempt the same as a low emission car would be. Insurance- that’s more of an argument and liability insurance is something a lot of club cyclists would have, and anyone taking part in events would have it as part of the entrance fee or their club membership. But should we enforce it on casual cyclists and kids learning? Again, how many on here had it when they were kids? Why be so anal?

But that’s all nothing compared to how selfish we’re becoming. That’s why I find threads like this depressing. Cyclists are becoming a target; it’s clearly apparent on here (although this is pretty good as far as the regular anti-cycling threads go). This hate is apparent on the road. It’s becoming them and us, but at the end of the day cyclists are just people. They’re brothers, sisters, fathers, grandmothers, friends. And most are drivers too. Just like you. They just happen to be far more vulnerable and more squishy when not wrapped up in steel.

It takes nothing to give a cyclist room (or horse rider, or pedestrian where there’s no pavement, or runner). Nothing. Well, we have to lift our foot a little, maybe change down a gear. But that’s not too hard is it? Meanwhile the cyclist may be wandering as they could be knackered or avoiding one of the many potholes that can literally be fatal to them. Is it too hard to give them a bit of time and space. I manage. Are you too selfish to care?

And that’s what a lot of this seems to boil down to - selfishness. It’s noticeable in France that people are far more aware and respectful of other road users. But what do we have in the UK? - “But they don't pay tax and I do” er, they are not required to for their bike, but they probably do for their car. “But they’re in the way” - so are you to someone going quicker.

Try cycling a mile in their shoes, and then hopefully another and another. Who knows you may become healthier and happier.

Sorry for the long thread; thought it best to get it all off my chest in one go.

Be kind to each other out there 🚴‍♂️ 🚙 👍

PS. Sounds like the guy the OP met was a rude arsehole. That’s prople for you, irrespective of hos they’re travelling.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:51 - Aug 13 with 1539 viewsAndy1300

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:48 - Aug 13 by LeonWasGod

Not quite right. You have a dual carriage way for anyone/thing entitled to use it, not just cars. That could be bikes, horses, motorcycles, whatever. And then the cycle / walkway. I only mention it because a lot of people wrongly assume cycles aren’t supposed to be on the road, but they’re perfectly entitled to be.

Depressing thread this (apart from the astute mention of the bell, which is spot on and funny if you’re a cyclist).

I’m not clear what the evidence is about the effectiveness of helmets. I never had one when I was a kid and I lived on my bike, a lot more than kids do today. And I suspect most of us on here did. It’s certainly clear the health and mental benefits of cycling far outweigh any risks, helmetted or not. I ask my kids to wear a helmet and I do too, but know they won’t make a difference if we’re hit by a car not giving us enough room. I write this from a campsite in the Loire Valley, which is filled with kids riding bikes without helmets - they’re having a great time.

And as for tax, that’s just ignorance. As said it’s vehicle duty and cycles are exempt the same as a low emission car would be. Insurance- that’s more of an argument and liability insurance is something a lot of club cyclists would have, and anyone taking part in events would have it as part of the entrance fee or their club membership. But should we enforce it on casual cyclists and kids learning? Again, how many on here had it when they were kids? Why be so anal?

But that’s all nothing compared to how selfish we’re becoming. That’s why I find threads like this depressing. Cyclists are becoming a target; it’s clearly apparent on here (although this is pretty good as far as the regular anti-cycling threads go). This hate is apparent on the road. It’s becoming them and us, but at the end of the day cyclists are just people. They’re brothers, sisters, fathers, grandmothers, friends. And most are drivers too. Just like you. They just happen to be far more vulnerable and more squishy when not wrapped up in steel.

It takes nothing to give a cyclist room (or horse rider, or pedestrian where there’s no pavement, or runner). Nothing. Well, we have to lift our foot a little, maybe change down a gear. But that’s not too hard is it? Meanwhile the cyclist may be wandering as they could be knackered or avoiding one of the many potholes that can literally be fatal to them. Is it too hard to give them a bit of time and space. I manage. Are you too selfish to care?

And that’s what a lot of this seems to boil down to - selfishness. It’s noticeable in France that people are far more aware and respectful of other road users. But what do we have in the UK? - “But they don't pay tax and I do” er, they are not required to for their bike, but they probably do for their car. “But they’re in the way” - so are you to someone going quicker.

Try cycling a mile in their shoes, and then hopefully another and another. Who knows you may become healthier and happier.

Sorry for the long thread; thought it best to get it all off my chest in one go.

Be kind to each other out there 🚴‍♂️ 🚙 👍

PS. Sounds like the guy the OP met was a rude arsehole. That’s prople for you, irrespective of hos they’re travelling.

Oh my god, more common sense.

They won't like that.

Nail head and hit come to mind

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:00 - Aug 13 with 1526 viewsjack2jack

How did we get from concern of a child's safety to hi Vis vests, insurance, pot holes etc etc.Boloody hell.
This is going to cost Dicky a fortune😀
Problem with these type of threads, is that we've all met tosser on 2 and 4 wheels, and this clouds our judgement and opinions.
Login to get fewer ads

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:06 - Aug 13 with 1512 viewsSwanjaxs

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:00 - Aug 13 by jack2jack

How did we get from concern of a child's safety to hi Vis vests, insurance, pot holes etc etc.Boloody hell.
This is going to cost Dicky a fortune😀
Problem with these type of threads, is that we've all met tosser on 2 and 4 wheels, and this clouds our judgement and opinions.

Never mind 2 or four wheels, this thread has plenty of tossers on two legs! .... (You know who you are) 😎

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:08 - Aug 13 with 1507 viewsAndy1300

look at this from a Knobhead on Twitter......

"When cyclists pay for the road/paths they occupy, I'll be happy.

Just as I paid for the rugby and cricket pitches I played on and now the golf courses I play

Uniquely, cyclists use facilities paid for by others to be a bloody nuisance to those that fund their eccentricity."

Yet another that doesn't understand how roads are funded.

Plenty of the ignorant, uneducated about

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:15 - Aug 13 with 1495 viewsSwanjaxs

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:08 - Aug 13 by Andy1300

Just as I paid for the rugby and cricket pitches I played on and now the golf courses I play

Uniquely, cyclists use facilities paid for by others to be a bloody nuisance to those that fund their eccentricity."

Look I want to draw a line under this, cyclists have every right to the use of the highway, same as horse riders, joggers ect, whether an adult decides to wear a safety helmet or not is their prerogative, no problem, but to put a young child on a bike without a safety helmet is madness in my honest opinion... if this upsets anybody then I couldn't give a toss
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 22:18]

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:24 - Aug 13 with 1470 viewsAndy1300

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:15 - Aug 13 by Swanjaxs

Look I want to draw a line under this, cyclists have every right to the use of the highway, same as horse riders, joggers ect, whether an adult decides to wear a safety helmet or not is their prerogative, no problem, but to put a young child on a bike without a safety helmet is madness in my honest opinion... if this upsets anybody then I couldn't give a toss
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 22:18]

I have already stated that I and my kids and grandchildren wear them.

Its all the other uneducated comments on here that need correcting.

People will always have hate towards a group they don't understand.

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:37 - Aug 13 with 1455 viewsSwanjaxs

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:24 - Aug 13 by Andy1300

I have already stated that I and my kids and grandchildren wear them.

Its all the other uneducated comments on here that need correcting.

People will always have hate towards a group they don't understand.

At last some common ground! No way was i trying to undermine cyclists, in fact the total opposite, more power to their elbow and a great way to keep yourself fit and active, i wasn't trying to take the moral high ground either, if the father and young child were cycling around Singleton Park without the youngster wearing a helmet then perhaps i could understand to a certain extent, but this was on a busy road ( admittedly it was only 7 a.m. in the morning) with cars driving past....
Can we get this to 7 pages please to make Dicke pay more btw 👍

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:56 - Aug 13 with 1424 viewsAndy1300

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:37 - Aug 13 by Swanjaxs

At last some common ground! No way was i trying to undermine cyclists, in fact the total opposite, more power to their elbow and a great way to keep yourself fit and active, i wasn't trying to take the moral high ground either, if the father and young child were cycling around Singleton Park without the youngster wearing a helmet then perhaps i could understand to a certain extent, but this was on a busy road ( admittedly it was only 7 a.m. in the morning) with cars driving past....
Can we get this to 7 pages please to make Dicke pay more btw 👍

Part of the driving test should include being on a cycle and getting close passed by fast vehicles.

Drivers would have one hell of an eye opener.

Too many selfish people in all modes of transport and walking

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:01 - Aug 13 with 1415 viewsWarwickHunt

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:43 - Aug 13 by Andy1300

Have you seen how many highly visible bridges, signs, and vehicles are hit by drivers that are not paying attention to the road and conditions?

Nothing about vanity.

Perhaps they should only sell highly visible coloured vehicles then? those black ones are really hard to see in the dark without lights on

A cyclist complaining about cars with no lights...

Fücking hilarious.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:03 - Aug 13 with 1408 viewsSwanjaxs

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:56 - Aug 13 by Andy1300

Part of the driving test should include being on a cycle and getting close passed by fast vehicles.

Drivers would have one hell of an eye opener.

Too many selfish people in all modes of transport and walking

Good point! Walkers should wear helmets too! Selfish bàstards! (joke btw👍) ... peace out brother 🤘

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:14 - Aug 13 with 1392 viewsWxmJax

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:43 - Aug 13 by Andy1300

Nothing about vanity.

I don't mean to be rude but that's the stupid answer I don't get (but sadly expect). There's a reason police, council workers, lorry drivers, recovery services etc etc wear them in their jobs, precisely to be more visible. So why don't the vast majority of road cyclists ?
People still get killed in cars involved in accidents while wearing seat belts and airbags activated so should we stop using these ? No, of course not because if we did there would be even more deaths. I bet the majority of cyclists killed are not wearing Hi-Viz. It IS vanity, otherwise people would wear it.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:15 - Aug 13 with 1391 viewsAndy1300

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:01 - Aug 13 by WarwickHunt

Fücking hilarious.

That last bit was tongue in cheek......

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:16 - Aug 13 with 1388 viewsAndy1300

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:14 - Aug 13 by WxmJax

I don't mean to be rude but that's the stupid answer I don't get (but sadly expect). There's a reason police, council workers, lorry drivers, recovery services etc etc wear them in their jobs, precisely to be more visible. So why don't the vast majority of road cyclists ?
People still get killed in cars involved in accidents while wearing seat belts and airbags activated so should we stop using these ? No, of course not because if we did there would be even more deaths. I bet the majority of cyclists killed are not wearing Hi-Viz. It IS vanity, otherwise people would wear it.

how do you explain people hitting emergency vehicles that are plastered in hi-viz then, and trucks hitting bridges with highly visible le signs?

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:19 - Aug 13 with 1379 viewsAndy1300

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/jan/10/cycling-high-visib

Take a read

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:21 - Aug 13 with 1375 viewsAndy1300

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:01 - Aug 13 by WarwickHunt

Fücking hilarious.

Yes I cycle, I also drive and I ride a motorcycle.

Why call me a cyclist?

Because it fits your agenda I guess

Doesn't have the same ring if you called me a driver would it

Number 1 team in Wales

Irresponsible cyclists... on 23:24 - Aug 13 with 1367 viewsSwanjaxs

Jesus mate your opening up a right can of worms here! I've been hauled over the coals for suggesting the compulsory wearing of head gear! Good luck with Hi-Viz clothing... another 6 pages incoming Dicky 👋

Irresponsible cyclists... on 06:34 - Aug 14 with 1278 viewspeenemunde

Irresponsible cyclists... on 17:38 - Aug 13 by Swanjaxs

Only irresponsible cyclists mate, maybe if the young girl had fallen from her bike and smashed her skull on the curb my point would have carried more weight...
Luckily she didnt, now have a lovely evening sir 👍
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 17:39]

What if you fell whilst walking and banged your head on the curb ?
Does that mean you should have been wearing a helmet ?
Nanny state ffs.
Bit of advice for you, you worry about yourself and let others worry about themselves.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 06:41 - Aug 14 with 1277 viewspeenemunde

Irresponsible cyclists... on 22:08 - Aug 13 by Andy1300

They are idiots.
No one has paid road tax in this country since the 1930’s.
From my experience I find cyclists to be intelligent people in general.
We need more people on bikes whether they wear helmets or not.
Irresponsible cyclists... on 06:48 - Aug 14 with 1273 viewspeenemunde

Irresponsible cyclists... on 21:31 - Aug 13 by WxmJax

No what is shocking is the amount of people that die from a sedentary life style.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024