Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! 20:42 - Aug 12 with 4458 viewstreboethjack

Could really do with some advice from someone with a bit more mechanical knowledge than myself please.
Over the last week or so I've had a gradually increasing ticking/knocking sound coming from what sounds like the front right wheel. It only does it when i corner at high speed such as a wide bend in the road or a large roundabout. Nothing going straight or pulling out of junctions etc.
My instant thought was the C.V joint from previous experiences and speaking to others. I booked the car in to have what I thought was the shaft and joint replaced as this was advised. The car was kept in over the weekend as they struggled to get the correct one to fit so I was told. Went and picked the car up today and paid 250 for the job. As I drove it home I soon realised to car was still making the exact same noise as before. Once I got home I put the car up on ramps to inspect it and for my father to have a look. We have now discovered that the gator was not correctly fitted and there is excess grease everywhere and what I believe to be the drive shaft is very loose when I move it back and forth as in in and out from the wheel itself, the other side is solid with no play at all so this doesn't seem right to me.

Any advise on this would be much appreciated guys! p.s it's a 10 plate fiat punto evo.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:45 - Aug 12 with 4445 viewsJackfath

Take it back.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:46 - Aug 12 with 4440 viewstreboethjack

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=152z6lx&s=9#.W3COi9JKjIU

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33y6zjd&s=9#.W3CPT9JKjIU

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2q0n4sn&s=9#.W3CPjtJKjIU
[Post edited 12 Aug 2018 20:50]

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:46 - Aug 12 with 4439 viewsJack11

Is the side that the noise is coming from the same as the loose shaft?
MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:46 - Aug 12 with 4436 viewsdickythorpe

Wheel bearings?
MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:48 - Aug 12 with 4427 viewstreboethjack

Tried to upload pictures but not successful. I want to get some advice before going back so I know whats not right and what is. Yes the same side that they've worked on.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:50 - Aug 12 with 4417 viewsDarran

Sounds like it’s the gudgeon pin.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:52 - Aug 12 with 4406 viewsJack11

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:48 - Aug 12 by treboethjack

Tried to upload pictures but not successful. I want to get some advice before going back so I know whats not right and what is. Yes the same side that they've worked on.

They haven’t done it right! There shouldn’t be play in it and judging by that photo the gaitor looks split. You need to ask them to rectify it mate.
MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:54 - Aug 12 with 4396 viewsjack2jack

Ball joint usually makes that noise when turning corners.
Who did the job for you, if you don't mind me asking?
Login to get fewer ads

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:57 - Aug 12 with 4378 viewstreboethjack

The play was from left to right as in between the to cv joints rather than up and down if that makes any difference, is that normal because the other side doesn't move at all. The gator itself looks new but there's no clip to fasten it on and as a result its come off spilling grease everywhere. I won't name the garage but Iv'e not used them before, it was in cross hands.

It moves a god 3-4 inches back and forth.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2018 21:01]

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 21:04 - Aug 12 with 4345 viewsJack11

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:57 - Aug 12 by treboethjack

The play was from left to right as in between the to cv joints rather than up and down if that makes any difference, is that normal because the other side doesn't move at all. The gator itself looks new but there's no clip to fasten it on and as a result its come off spilling grease everywhere. I won't name the garage but Iv'e not used them before, it was in cross hands.

There shouldn’t be that kind of lateral play in it. The job hasn’t been done right
MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 21:04 - Aug 12 with 4343 viewsjack2jack

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 20:57 - Aug 12 by treboethjack

Like JF has said, take it back to them and tell them they haven't fixed the problem, any garage worth its salt would know what the problem is.
It can only be a few things.bearings, ball joints etc.
Come to think of it, I had a knocking once similar, turned out to be a loose shim on the steering rack,anyway good luck.Hooe you get it sorted.
MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 21:05 - Aug 12 with 4344 viewsItchySphincter

Looks like you've been tucked up son.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 21:17 - Aug 12 with 4313 viewstreboethjack

Cheers for the replies guys, thought it wasn't right that the gaiter just pulls off and the drive shaft slides back and forth a few inches.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 21:26 - Aug 12 with 4293 viewsJack11

I’m no fiat expert but I know there was a cross over between the Grande Punto and the Punto Evo. Wouldn’t surprise me if they have basically fitted the wrong part hence the play in it. Either way you should take it back.
MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 21:45 - Aug 12 with 4262 viewsDarran

We were in a taxi once years ago stoned out of our heads behind a Fiat Panda and one of the boys said look at that car it’s a Flat Panda.
I nearly pissed myself.
Just saying

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 09:50 - Aug 13 with 4122 viewsdickythorpe

MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 21:45 - Aug 12 by Darran

We were in a taxi once years ago stoned out of our heads behind a Fiat Panda and one of the boys said look at that car it’s a Flat Panda.
I nearly pissed myself.
Just saying

Raspberry Pavlova was once mispronounced raspberry PALAVA, oh how we did laugh.
MECHANICAL HELP PLEASE! on 17:22 - Aug 13 with 4016 viewsLoyal

Take it to a garage.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024