Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jailed for attempted suicide 14:58 - Aug 14 with 5087 viewsLord_Bony

5 years. Surely there must be another way.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/16416859.sawn-off-shotgun-suicide-bid-dad-

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Jailed for attempted suicide on 15:02 - Aug 14 with 4100 viewswestwalesed

Unfortunately the law is the law.

Also, he was not jailed for attempted suicide, he was jailed for carrying a prohibited weapon in a public place.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Jailed for attempted suicide on 15:06 - Aug 14 with 4080 viewsJackfath

Jailed for attempted suicide on 15:02 - Aug 14 by westwalesed

Also, he was not jailed for attempted suicide, he was jailed for carrying a prohibited weapon in a public place.

Correct.

Fake news by the OP.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Jailed for attempted suicide on 15:20 - Aug 14 with 4043 viewstrampie

Its English law, we would be better off having our own Welsh law.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Jailed for attempted suicide on 15:26 - Aug 14 with 4022 viewswestwalesed

Jailed for attempted suicide on 15:20 - Aug 14 by trampie

Its English law, we would be better off having our own Welsh law.

PMSL, ok.

Jailed for attempted suicide on 15:40 - Aug 14 with 3991 viewstrampie

Jailed for attempted suicide on 15:26 - Aug 14 by westwalesed

PMSL, ok.

Welsh laws of Hywel Dda were revered across the known World, places like England are only just catching up.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Jailed for attempted suicide on 15:54 - Aug 14 with 3953 viewswestwalesed

Jailed for attempted suicide on 15:40 - Aug 14 by trampie

Welsh laws of Hywel Dda were revered across the known World, places like England are only just catching up.

I know all about Hywel Dda.

However, I'm not sure that the Hywel Dda laws covered possession of a sawn off shotgun in a public place?

Jailed for attempted suicide on 16:29 - Aug 14 with 3893 viewstrampie

Welsh laws covered all aspects taking context into consideration.

This English law we currently live under is inferior taking the different times into consideration of course.

Jailed for attempted suicide on 16:30 - Aug 14 with 3890 viewswestwalesed

Jailed for attempted suicide on 16:29 - Aug 14 by trampie

Welsh laws covered all aspects taking context into consideration.

This English law we currently live under is inferior taking the different times into consideration of course.

So nothing about sawn off shotguns then?

Login to get fewer ads

Jailed for attempted suicide on 16:39 - Aug 14 with 3870 viewsyescomeon

Jailed for attempted suicide on 16:30 - Aug 14 by westwalesed

So nothing about sawn off shotguns then?

He was quite strict on beards. You were allowed to beat a woman for wishing a blemish upon your beard.

Upthecity!

Jailed for attempted suicide on 16:44 - Aug 14 with 3857 viewsLord_Bony

Jailed for attempted suicide on 15:02 - Aug 14 by westwalesed

The problem is should the law punish people under these circumstances,or do we help them?

Always a dilemma...what’s best for society?

He’s not a criminal imho.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Jailed for attempted suicide on 16:50 - Aug 14 with 3839 viewsdickythorpe

Tragic story. Imagine being his son now! "my dad wanted to kill himself " going round in your head.
Jailed for attempted suicide on 16:53 - Aug 14 with 3815 viewsLord_Bony

Jailed for attempted suicide on 16:50 - Aug 14 by dickythorpe

Tragic story. Imagine being his son now! "my dad wanted to kill himself " going round in your head.

Yeah...and they put him in jail for it.

That family needs help.

Jailed for attempted suicide on 17:00 - Aug 14 with 3794 viewswestwalesed

Jailed for attempted suicide on 16:44 - Aug 14 by Lord_Bony

The problem is should the law punish people under these circumstances,or do we help them?

Always a dilemma...what’s best for society?

He’s not a criminal imho.

I understand your sentiment and trust me (I work in Mental Health) I have seen many suicidal people. So I'm not trying to make fun, merely poking fun at trampie's absurd posts.

But he's technically a criminal. He had a shotgun in a public place. It really is that simple once you strip it of emotion.

You have to look at it another way - if we don't give someone a jail sentence for this, then (and I'm not a lawyer), would that not set a precedent that can be used as a defence in the future? Any time an actual criminal intending to harm others was caught red handed with a sawn off shotgun he could simply say he intended to use it on himself.

Jailed for attempted suicide on 17:21 - Aug 14 with 3757 viewsSirjohnalot

Jailed for attempted suicide on 17:00 - Aug 14 by westwalesed

I understand your sentiment and trust me (I work in Mental Health) I have seen many suicidal people. So I'm not trying to make fun, merely poking fun at trampie's absurd posts.

But he's technically a criminal. He had a shotgun in a public place. It really is that simple once you strip it of emotion.

You have to look at it another way - if we don't give someone a jail sentence for this, then (and I'm not a lawyer), would that not set a precedent that can be used as a defence in the future? Any time an actual criminal intending to harm others was caught red handed with a sawn off shotgun he could simply say he intended to use it on himself.

No. The Crown Court doesn’t set precedents. No other court can rely on its decisions for future cases,
Jailed for attempted suicide on 17:23 - Aug 14 with 3747 viewsLord_Bony

Jailed for attempted suicide on 17:21 - Aug 14 by Sirjohnalot

No. The Crown Court doesn’t set precedents. No other court can rely on its decisions for future cases,

Well if that is the case,the judge,who already expressed sympathy for this man,should have used his own discretion and let him off with a warning and handed him over to social services.

Jailed for attempted suicide on 18:04 - Aug 14 with 3666 viewsyescomeon

Reading the article I found myself wondering if there wasn't more too it. Like, why was someone trying to burn down his house. Also, he found a way to come into possession of a sawn-off shotgun. My sympathies to the guy if he is suicidal, but that's not your normal every day life, at least not for me. What was he mixed up in, and could that have a baring on a) his present mental state and b) the verdict?

Upthecity!

Jailed for attempted suicide on 18:37 - Aug 14 with 3624 viewstrampie

Jailed for attempted suicide on 18:04 - Aug 14 by yescomeon

Reading the article I found myself wondering if there wasn't more too it. Like, why was someone trying to burn down his house. Also, he found a way to come into possession of a sawn-off shotgun. My sympathies to the guy if he is suicidal, but that's not your normal every day life, at least not for me. What was he mixed up in, and could that have a baring on a) his present mental state and b) the verdict?

Does the beard change anything ?

Jailed for attempted suicide on 18:44 - Aug 14 with 3610 viewsHighjack

Jailed for attempted suicide on 17:23 - Aug 14 by Lord_Bony

Well if that is the case,the judge,who already expressed sympathy for this man,should have used his own discretion and let him off with a warning and handed him over to social services.

He should be put in a secure hospital to serve his sentence

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Jailed for attempted suicide on 19:45 - Aug 14 with 3554 viewsexiledclaseboy

“(The Judge) said he had “great sympathy” for him but added that he had to send him to prison for five years under the strict sentencing guidelines for the possession of a prohibited weapon.

The judge said: “I am sorry for that sentence, I really am, but I see no alternative.”

Sound like there’s some kind of minimum sentence for that particular crime, removing most of the judge’s discretion. This is the kind of daft sentences that can happen when lawmakers tie the hands of the judiciary.

Poll: Tory leader

Jailed for attempted suicide on 19:47 - Aug 14 with 3552 viewsGaryjack

Jailed for attempted suicide on 17:21 - Aug 14 by Sirjohnalot

This is true, but still, if the judge did 'let him off' then "Any time an actual criminal intending to harm others was caught red handed with a sawn off shotgun he could simply say he intended to use it on himself." This is also true whether no precedent has been set. It's set in the mind of the criminal as he would believe he can use it as a defence.
Jailed for attempted suicide on 21:32 - Aug 14 with 3457 viewsSirjohnalot

Doesn’t work like that. There are sentencing guidelines that Judges are obliged to follow. You can’t give a caution for that type of offence
Jailed for attempted suicide on 21:35 - Aug 14 with 3453 viewsSirjohnalot

Jailed for attempted suicide on 19:47 - Aug 14 by Garyjack

This is true, but still, if the judge did 'let him off' then "Any time an actual criminal intending to harm others was caught red handed with a sawn off shotgun he could simply say he intended to use it on himself." This is also true whether no precedent has been set. It's set in the mind of the criminal as he would believe he can use it as a defence.

Which is why there are sentencing guidelines so that sentences are similar throughout England and Wales
Jailed for attempted suicide on 09:06 - Aug 15 with 3294 viewswestwalesed

Agreed, if that is the case, then it seems absurd to give him a jail term.

Social Worker is the last thing he would need to be honest - intwnse and crucially, long term mental health support.

Jailed for attempted suicide on 14:50 - Aug 15 with 3155 viewsLord_Bony

Jailed for attempted suicide on 19:45 - Aug 14 by exiledclaseboy

“(The Judge) said he had “great sympathy” for him but added that he had to send him to prison for five years under the strict sentencing guidelines for the possession of a prohibited weapon.

The judge said: “I am sorry for that sentence, I really am, but I see no alternative.”

Sound like there’s some kind of minimum sentence for that particular crime, removing most of the judge’s discretion. This is the kind of daft sentences that can happen when lawmakers tie the hands of the judiciary.

In fairness to the poor soul,he did actually call the police and alerted them to the situation.
It is for that reason he should have been let off with a caution.

Sending him to prison will not resolve much for him or his family.

If he does want to finish the job,then he s certainly in the right place in prison.

Jailed for attempted suicide on 18:29 - Aug 15 with 3071 viewsSirjohnalot

Jailed for attempted suicide on 14:50 - Aug 15 by Lord_Bony

In fairness to the poor soul,he did actually call the police and alerted them to the situation.
It is for that reason he should have been let off with a caution.

Sending him to prison will not resolve much for him or his family.

If he does want to finish the job,then he s certainly in the right place in prison.

You cannot give someone a caution for having a loaded shotgun and ammunition in a public place. The CPS couldn’t authorise it.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2018 18:30]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024