Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. 12:55 - Aug 16 with 15061 viewsJango

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/newsbeat-45206266

How nice of him. I wonder if the BBC would be celebrating such an event if a white artist was to do the same thing for underprivileged white kids. My guess is that artists career would be over.

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 21:40 - Aug 16 with 2404 viewsexiledclaseboy

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 21:14 - Aug 16 by Flashberryjack

Expect being white puts someone at a disadvantage in many areas as well.

Really?

Poll: Tory leader

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 21:41 - Aug 16 with 2400 viewsFlashberryjack

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 21:40 - Aug 16 by exiledclaseboy

Really?

Really

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 22:06 - Aug 16 with 2376 viewslondonlisa2001

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 21:41 - Aug 16 by Flashberryjack

Really

Name some examples of instances when you feel that your life chances, or the way people in some position of authority or control over your life treat you in the UK have been adversely affected by you being white.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 02:41 - Aug 17 with 2326 viewsDJack

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 21:14 - Aug 16 by Flashberryjack

Expect being white puts someone at a disadvantage in many areas as well.

Firstly I think you meant "except"...I'm not sure as you are thicker than me and that's not a good sign.

... and secondly the few areas where one or two commentators have suggested that white males "feel" left behind are such an insignificant number (CURRENTLY) that it is either not worthy of action or a statistical anomaly. Another observation is you pushing this kind of line where your avatar shows you in a Tux and dickie-bow... you really know the truth of the disadvantaged, don't you!?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 06:43 - Aug 17 with 2295 viewsJango

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 22:06 - Aug 16 by londonlisa2001

Name some examples of instances when you feel that your life chances, or the way people in some position of authority or control over your life treat you in the UK have been adversely affected by you being white.

Can you give examples of black people being disadvantaged? I’m not talking 20,30,40 years ago or in America.I’m talking the here and now more so than some white kids. I’m 33 and I’ve never seen it and I work all over the country. My older brothers half cast, he was a warrant officer in the army by the age of 31, the youngest in the army at the time. He’ll tell you himself that his skin colour probably helped him more than it hindered him. I know a guy who is black, got thrown out of the police through drink and drug abuse when he was about 22/23. Within 5 years years he was in the fire service and still is. Again he’ll tell you himself, if he wasn’t black he probablg wouldn’t have got that chance so it helped him more than hindered him. I failed the fire service 12 years ago when I was 21 and I was told myself that there was a rota to fill with a certain amount of women and blacks/asian people. That’s certainly not right there, why not not just the best people for the job.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 6:50]
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 10:12 - Aug 17 with 2264 viewsJackSomething

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 06:43 - Aug 17 by Jango

Can you give examples of black people being disadvantaged? I’m not talking 20,30,40 years ago or in America.I’m talking the here and now more so than some white kids. I’m 33 and I’ve never seen it and I work all over the country. My older brothers half cast, he was a warrant officer in the army by the age of 31, the youngest in the army at the time. He’ll tell you himself that his skin colour probably helped him more than it hindered him. I know a guy who is black, got thrown out of the police through drink and drug abuse when he was about 22/23. Within 5 years years he was in the fire service and still is. Again he’ll tell you himself, if he wasn’t black he probablg wouldn’t have got that chance so it helped him more than hindered him. I failed the fire service 12 years ago when I was 21 and I was told myself that there was a rota to fill with a certain amount of women and blacks/asian people. That’s certainly not right there, why not not just the best people for the job.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 6:50]

Actually, I take that back. No reason to get involved.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 10:13]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 10:35 - Aug 17 with 2257 viewsCatullus

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:22 - Aug 16 by londonlisa2001

Yes there probably would be. But there’s no real equivalence. As there isn’t a disadvantaged group called ‘white people’.

If Anthony Hopkins said he was going to find two bursaries for underprivileged kids from Port Talbot there’d be no outcry. If Rooney said he was going to do it for kids from Liverpool there’d be no outcry.

I’d bet that the kids that have the opportunity of a bursary because they come from Norfolk are always white. The mining bursaries I’d bet are almost always for white kids.

There has been systemic prejudice against people from ethnic minority backgrounds in this country for generations. An attempt to elevate people from that background from someone that has come from that themselves is not ‘racist’. It is positive discrimination. A positive discrimination that has happened the other way round for decades.

If you are white, and I assume you are, you have never suffered institutional discrimination in this country because of your colour. You may have suffered it for other reasons, but not because of your colour. That is not to say that individual black people or Asian people or anything else, may not themselves be racist. Of course they can be. As often as white people may be. But institutionally, societally, nah.

Lisa, the problem would only arise if they said "underprivileged WHITE kids" because to some white always means racist.
For me there is no issue as long as any group/bursary or system that's set up to help people doesn't also involve putting others down......unless those others are criminals or terrorists! Stormzy is trying to help and that's only good.
To me, it seems that as soon as anyone does something these days, no matter the intention, there are people ready to be offended and all too often the offence is taken on somebody else's behalf

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 11:40 - Aug 17 with 2237 viewsHighjack

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 20:06 - Aug 16 by exiledclaseboy

In many cases, yes it is. There are other factors at play but it’s foolhardy to deny that being black still puts someone at a disadvantage in many areas.

What areas? In which specific part of British society in 2018 are black people held back by the colour of their skin?

It’s the “other factors at play” that really holds people back.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:54 - Aug 17 with 2203 viewsCatullus

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 11:40 - Aug 17 by Highjack

What areas? In which specific part of British society in 2018 are black people held back by the colour of their skin?

It’s the “other factors at play” that really holds people back.

You can argue that with some employers (the BBC and the Police service to start) using quotas to fill jobs and actively turning down whites purely because they are white, that being black is an advantage.
They call it positive discrimination but I just call it discrimination. The best person for the job should always get it, skin colour, religion, sexual orientation, none of those should matter. The only thing that should matter is ability to do the job.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:12 - Aug 17 with 2179 viewsLohengrin

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 17:14 - Aug 16 by londonlisa2001

Re the industrial communalism, some. Although more of an issue in Wales and parts of the North than anywhere else as there was no sense of that in existence in the 80s for large swathes of the UK as a whole. And even in Wales and the North, it was declining by then.

Given that, as I said, the groups most over represented at Oxbridge at present are people from Indian and Chinese heritage, ascribing a belief in ‘education as a higher virtue’ to Christian culture seems, at best, flawed.

The main reason for the fall is the ever increasing wealth gap, resultant educational gap, and, as importantly, in fact probably more importantly, the expectation gap. Far too many are being written off in our society, pretty much at birth, when it comes to educational achievement and aspiration.
That’s why the initiative from someone like Stormzy, is positive. Because although nominally addressing the wealth issue for a tiny number, what he’s actually doing is addressing the expectation issue for far greater numbers.

”Given that, as I said, the groups most over represented at Oxbridge at present are people from Indian and Chinese heritage, ascribing a belief in ‘education as a higher virtue’ to Christian culture seems, at best, flawed.”

I don’t see it that way, Lisa. The discerning Hindu and Oriental families we’re talking about seem to have cast around on arrival here for the route to succeeding and had the nous to adopt what used to be described as the Protestant ethic: Education and hard work as the keys to a productive, meaningful life. Christian, northern European culture casts a long shadow.

That said, I’m going back into work in a little while but I’d much rather be off down the pub!

PS: Talking of pubs I spent a few hours in The White Horse on Broad Street recently. One of your old haunts?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 10:57 - Aug 19 with 2067 viewsCatullus

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:12 - Aug 17 by Lohengrin

”Given that, as I said, the groups most over represented at Oxbridge at present are people from Indian and Chinese heritage, ascribing a belief in ‘education as a higher virtue’ to Christian culture seems, at best, flawed.”

I don’t see it that way, Lisa. The discerning Hindu and Oriental families we’re talking about seem to have cast around on arrival here for the route to succeeding and had the nous to adopt what used to be described as the Protestant ethic: Education and hard work as the keys to a productive, meaningful life. Christian, northern European culture casts a long shadow.

That said, I’m going back into work in a little while but I’d much rather be off down the pub!

PS: Talking of pubs I spent a few hours in The White Horse on Broad Street recently. One of your old haunts?

Looking at history, Indian and Chinese cultures were far more advanced, enlightened and eductaed in many areas when we were still living in mud huts here. All societies have suffered from the rich and powerful keeping all the best bits for themselves and from those rich and powerful causing wars that have seen large parts of the world plunged into chaos. Christian culture you call it, linking a desire to better yourself to religion is anathema to me, for centuries in this country relifgious leaders kept learning away from the masses so it was easier for them to keep control, bishops even controlled Royal families.
You can call it Christian culture, I'd call it the poor huddled masses refusing to accept being treated like cattle anymore.......up until the present day when more and more people choose to behave like cattle....they call it celebrity culture!!

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:49 - Aug 19 with 2025 viewspeenemunde

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:54 - Aug 17 by Catullus

You can argue that with some employers (the BBC and the Police service to start) using quotas to fill jobs and actively turning down whites purely because they are white, that being black is an advantage.
They call it positive discrimination but I just call it discrimination. The best person for the job should always get it, skin colour, religion, sexual orientation, none of those should matter. The only thing that should matter is ability to do the job.

So called “positive positive discrimination” has been in place for many years.
What it really means is “lowering standards” to fulfill quotas, at the expense of white people.

The contribution white people have made to civilisation is truly astounding.
Luckily “positive discrimination” wasn’t around in days gone by - otherwise great achievements like the moon landings, open heart surgery, internet any thousands of other great achievements would probably have not happened.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:11 - Aug 19 with 2011 viewsHighjack

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:49 - Aug 19 by peenemunde

What it really means is “lowering standards” to fulfill quotas, at the expense of white people.

Luckily “positive discrimination” wasn’t around in days gone by - otherwise great achievements like the moon landings, open heart surgery, internet any thousands of other great achievements would probably have not happened.

All those things were done by white people because black people were all too busy starving to death and dying of malaria. They still are in many areas of the world. They are certainly disadvantaged. But in 2018 U.K. there is no disadvantage depending on your colour, it’s enshrined in law. Now we have black people at the highest level of politics (I believe America even had a black president at one point) science, medicine, business, arts, sporting achievements. There’s hardly a section of British life that black people aren’t heavily achieving in.

Hopefully there’ll come a time where people stop seeing “groups of black people” and start seeing “groups of people.” Otherwise racism will never die.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:32 - Aug 19 with 2003 viewspeenemunde

There was probably more starvation and disease in Europe than in Africa etc in the past, so the first part of your post is nonsense.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 20:33 - Aug 19 with 1955 viewsFlashberryjack

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:11 - Aug 19 by Highjack

All those things were done by white people because black people were all too busy starving to death and dying of malaria. They still are in many areas of the world. They are certainly disadvantaged. But in 2018 U.K. there is no disadvantage depending on your colour, it’s enshrined in law. Now we have black people at the highest level of politics (I believe America even had a black president at one point) science, medicine, business, arts, sporting achievements. There’s hardly a section of British life that black people aren’t heavily achieving in.

Hopefully there’ll come a time where people stop seeing “groups of black people” and start seeing “groups of people.” Otherwise racism will never die.

Absolute top post.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 21:33 - Aug 19 with 1933 viewsCatullus

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:49 - Aug 19 by peenemunde

India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
The World's first university was established in Takshila in 700BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
Sanskrit is the mother of all the European languages. Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software, reported in Forbes magazine, July 1987.
Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining its rightful place in our civilization.
Although modern images of India often show poverty and lack of development, India was the richest country on earth until the time of British invasion in the early 17th Century.
The art of Navigation was born in the river Sindh 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit 'Nou'.
Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart.; Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century)365.258756484 days.
The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century long before the European mathematicians.
Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India; Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th Century;The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 10^6(10 to the power of 6) whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10^53(10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BCE during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera 10^12(10 to the power of 12).

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 21:55 - Aug 19 with 1918 viewspeenemunde

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 21:33 - Aug 19 by Catullus

India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
The World's first university was established in Takshila in 700BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
Sanskrit is the mother of all the European languages. Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software, reported in Forbes magazine, July 1987.
Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining its rightful place in our civilization.
Although modern images of India often show poverty and lack of development, India was the richest country on earth until the time of British invasion in the early 17th Century.
The art of Navigation was born in the river Sindh 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit 'Nou'.
Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart.; Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century)365.258756484 days.
The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century long before the European mathematicians.
Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India; Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th Century;The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 10^6(10 to the power of 6) whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10^53(10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BCE during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera 10^12(10 to the power of 12).

What went wrong then ?
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 01:12 - Aug 20 with 1892 viewsDJack

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 21:55 - Aug 19 by peenemunde

What went wrong then ?

Some would contend, colonialism and others the religious divide. For you I would suggest you keep sharpening your crayons.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 06:04 - Aug 20 with 1852 viewspeenemunde

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 01:12 - Aug 20 by DJack

Some would contend, colonialism and others the religious divide. For you I would suggest you keep sharpening your crayons.

And some would say you are taking out of your arse.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 09:08 - Aug 20 with 1835 viewsBatterseajack

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 21:55 - Aug 19 by peenemunde

What went wrong then ?

Climate and/or geographical pressures.

For instance, climate change caused in the former Mesopotamia helped cause it to collapse.

Europe is blessed with good fertile land which is great for farming to the point you can create excess food. The climate also gets cold enough in winter to kill off most diseases or to stop them spreading. It also has good natural borders through mountains and seas which make your lands easy to protect. Big, flat and slow flowing rivers for trade.

Droughts, famine and wars are not generally not fertile places for human progress.

....Or you could argue that the other countries just arn't white enough.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 09:14 - Aug 20 with 1833 viewsYossarian

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 13:14 - Aug 16 by omarjack

Think what you want. But sometimes things like this are needed to give everyone equal chances.

Unfortunately, the society has too much racism, that without such grants, minorities are most likely to be left out, not because they're under-qualified. But because many won't give them proper chances.

A new level of idiocy. Give it a rest snowflake ffs

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 09:18 - Aug 20 with 1831 viewsYossarian

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:01 - Aug 16 by londonlisa2001

Last year’s intake (2017) was 2.2% black students at Cambridge and 1.9% black students at Oxford.

Both black and white people are underrepresented as it happens, with certain other groups being over represented. Notably people from both Indian and Chinese backgrounds,

There are many scholarships and bursaries available to all sorts of restricted groups. Bursaries are now routinely given by both Oxford and Cambridge to all British students whose family incomes are below certain amounts (sliding scale).

There are also specific bursaries for, as an example, people born in Norfolk or Suffolk. People from Bristol. People from a Russian heritage. People who went to school in Pembrokeshire. Notably there have for many years been significant bursaries available for people who are from a mining background.

None of these attract your attention perhaps?

The actual issue with Oxbridge entrance is the barrier to children from disadvantaged backgrounds irrespective of ethinicity. It’s not the fault of Oxford and Cambridge. It’s the fault of the inequality of the education system, but also the low aspiration or self esteem of children from such backgrounds - frequently they believe Oxbridge is not for kids from their background. It’s something for ‘other kids’ - more middle class kids. Anything that can help encourage children from such backgrounds that it is absolutely a place for them is welcome.

I think it’s hugely encouraging that a black rapper is saying to young black kids ‘education at the top level is something you should be aspiring to, and something to aim for’, which is what this is doing. He’s not encouraging the notion that somehow there’s a ‘them and us’ and Oxbridge isn’t for ‘his sort of people’. He’s saying get out there, aspire, and get as well educated as possible.

Good for him.

And to think I used to think you had some interesting perspectives. Now I just think you’ve lost any common sense you might have had in your mindless quest to be the paragon of political correctness.

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 09:25 - Aug 20 with 1829 viewsYossarian

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 18:49 - Aug 16 by londonlisa2001

Nope, because all other things aren’t equal.

A black child born to Nigerian heart surgeons in a Kensington is disadvantaged compared to a white child born to White British heart surgeons in Kensington.

And a black child born to drug addled gambling addicts in Abercwmboi is disadvantaged compared to a white child born to drug addled gambling addicts in Abercwmboi.

That’s how you measure disadvantage based solely on colour of skin.

As should be apparent. It’s not difficult.

Jesus Christ listen to yourself....

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 10:56 - Aug 20 with 1806 viewsCatullus

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 09:25 - Aug 20 by Yossarian

Jesus Christ listen to yourself....

To me the only disadvantage is being born poor. The only thing that truly counts anywhere these days is money.
If you are born to a rich family you can have what you want and get away with almost anything because being rich usually comes with good connections and politicians are easily influenced by rich friends.

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 11:03 - Aug 20 with 1803 viewsomarjack

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 10:56 - Aug 20 by Catullus

To me the only disadvantage is being born poor. The only thing that truly counts anywhere these days is money.
If you are born to a rich family you can have what you want and get away with almost anything because being rich usually comes with good connections and politicians are easily influenced by rich friends.

But ethnic minorities are less likely to become rich because they're disadvantaged.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024