Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. 12:55 - Aug 16 with 15055 viewsJango

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/newsbeat-45206266

How nice of him. I wonder if the BBC would be celebrating such an event if a white artist was to do the same thing for underprivileged white kids. My guess is that artists career would be over.

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 13:09 - Aug 16 with 7070 viewsdickythorpe

Oof! Well done jango.... Should be a 4 pager by sat
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 13:10 - Aug 16 with 7070 viewsAquinas

They have already made it if they have a place at Cambridge. Surely the investment would be better spent on improving schools in impoverished areas so that there is more of an even playing field in terms of resources and teaching quality.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 13:14 - Aug 16 with 7062 viewsomarjack

Think what you want. But sometimes things like this are needed to give everyone equal chances.

Unfortunately, the society has too much racism, that without such grants, minorities are most likely to be left out, not because they're under-qualified. But because many won't give them proper chances.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 13:19 - Aug 16 with 7052 viewsAquinas

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 13:14 - Aug 16 by omarjack

Think what you want. But sometimes things like this are needed to give everyone equal chances.

Unfortunately, the society has too much racism, that without such grants, minorities are most likely to be left out, not because they're under-qualified. But because many won't give them proper chances.

You make a number of ridiculous statements and this is another.

They have made it to Cambridge. They have succeeded. They have equal access to student loans etc as anyone else.

What isn't fair is the majority of inner city schools have crap facilities compared to suburban schools and that is where the inequality is. Stormzy funding intelligent black people's education is just a vanity project because he didn't go to uni himself.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 13:30 - Aug 16 with 7036 viewsLohengrin

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 13:19 - Aug 16 by Aquinas

You make a number of ridiculous statements and this is another.

They have made it to Cambridge. They have succeeded. They have equal access to student loans etc as anyone else.

What isn't fair is the majority of inner city schools have crap facilities compared to suburban schools and that is where the inequality is. Stormzy funding intelligent black people's education is just a vanity project because he didn't go to uni himself.

It’s such a shame that, young fella.’

”And tryna' blame your boy for knife crime,
I don't use a shank, I got money in the bank,
Man, I'd rather do a drive by.”

He could easily have been another Blake or Marlowe...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:01 - Aug 16 with 6978 viewsAquinas

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 13:30 - Aug 16 by Lohengrin

It’s such a shame that, young fella.’

”And tryna' blame your boy for knife crime,
I don't use a shank, I got money in the bank,
Man, I'd rather do a drive by.”

He could easily have been another Blake or Marlowe...

The below excerpts are from one of his more enlightened pieces - Wicked Skengman Part 4:

"Wait two secs let me spark this zoot,
my n**gas don't talk they shoot,
Roll up slow, then I park that coupe,
And the game got f**ked up by the darkskin yout"

and

"Big 45 might bun out your clart,
No safety that might dun out your dance,
Knock on your door like oi rudeboy look
Forget the hype just come out the yard"
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:13 - Aug 16 with 6965 viewsJango

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 13:14 - Aug 16 by omarjack

3% of Cambridge university is black students. 3% of British people are black.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:34 - Aug 16 with 6944 viewsLohengrin

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:01 - Aug 16 by Aquinas

The below excerpts are from one of his more enlightened pieces - Wicked Skengman Part 4:

"Wait two secs let me spark this zoot,
my n**gas don't talk they shoot,
Roll up slow, then I park that coupe,
And the game got f**ked up by the darkskin yout"

and

"Big 45 might bun out your clart,
No safety that might dun out your dance,
Knock on your door like oi rudeboy look
Forget the hype just come out the yard"

I had dinner at The Rose & Crown in Hay the day before yesterday. Neither of those were on the jukebox, I don’t think.

How are you anyway? You’ve graduated by now, haven’t you? What are you up to?
[Post edited 16 Aug 2018 14:49]

Login to get fewer ads

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:39 - Aug 16 with 6933 viewssherpajacob

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:13 - Aug 16 by Jango

approx. 3% black, approx. 6% Asian, approx. 80% white British.

hang on, I though we were being over run by swarms and losing our national identity or is all that just made up b*llocks.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:01 - Aug 16 with 6898 viewslondonlisa2001

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:13 - Aug 16 by Jango

Last year’s intake (2017) was 2.2% black students at Cambridge and 1.9% black students at Oxford.

Both black and white people are underrepresented as it happens, with certain other groups being over represented. Notably people from both Indian and Chinese backgrounds,

There are many scholarships and bursaries available to all sorts of restricted groups. Bursaries are now routinely given by both Oxford and Cambridge to all British students whose family incomes are below certain amounts (sliding scale).

There are also specific bursaries for, as an example, people born in Norfolk or Suffolk. People from Bristol. People from a Russian heritage. People who went to school in Pembrokeshire. Notably there have for many years been significant bursaries available for people who are from a mining background.

None of these attract your attention perhaps?

The actual issue with Oxbridge entrance is the barrier to children from disadvantaged backgrounds irrespective of ethinicity. It’s not the fault of Oxford and Cambridge. It’s the fault of the inequality of the education system, but also the low aspiration or self esteem of children from such backgrounds - frequently they believe Oxbridge is not for kids from their background. It’s something for ‘other kids’ - more middle class kids. Anything that can help encourage children from such backgrounds that it is absolutely a place for them is welcome.

I think it’s hugely encouraging that a black rapper is saying to young black kids ‘education at the top level is something you should be aspiring to, and something to aim for’, which is what this is doing. He’s not encouraging the notion that somehow there’s a ‘them and us’ and Oxbridge isn’t for ‘his sort of people’. He’s saying get out there, aspire, and get as well educated as possible.

Good for him.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:07 - Aug 16 with 6883 viewsjacksfullaces

saw him this morning on BBC Breakfast.

credible voice for social mobility.

always good to see role models emerging for under represented groups.

Oxbridge entry can level up the platform a little, although will always be behind the traditional students going to the same destination.

probably puts these kids ahead of traditional students going to UWIC type institutions
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:08 - Aug 16 with 6882 viewsAquinas

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:01 - Aug 16 by londonlisa2001

Last year’s intake (2017) was 2.2% black students at Cambridge and 1.9% black students at Oxford.

Both black and white people are underrepresented as it happens, with certain other groups being over represented. Notably people from both Indian and Chinese backgrounds,

There are many scholarships and bursaries available to all sorts of restricted groups. Bursaries are now routinely given by both Oxford and Cambridge to all British students whose family incomes are below certain amounts (sliding scale).

There are also specific bursaries for, as an example, people born in Norfolk or Suffolk. People from Bristol. People from a Russian heritage. People who went to school in Pembrokeshire. Notably there have for many years been significant bursaries available for people who are from a mining background.

The actual issue with Oxbridge entrance is the barrier to children from disadvantaged backgrounds irrespective of ethinicity. It’s not the fault of Oxford and Cambridge. It’s the fault of the inequality of the education system, but also the low aspiration or self esteem of children from such backgrounds - frequently they believe Oxbridge is not for kids from their background. It’s something for ‘other kids’ - more middle class kids. Anything that can help encourage children from such backgrounds that it is absolutely a place for them is welcome.

I think it’s hugely encouraging that a black rapper is saying to young black kids ‘education at the top level is something you should be aspiring to, and something to aim for’, which is what this is doing. He’s not encouraging the notion that somehow there’s a ‘them and us’ and Oxbridge isn’t for ‘his sort of people’. He’s saying get out there, aspire, and get as well educated as possible.

Good for him.

But shouldn't he be investing in failing schools in areas of high black ethnicity rather than chucking money at black students who have already made a success of themselves?
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:22 - Aug 16 with 6867 viewslondonlisa2001

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:08 - Aug 16 by Aquinas

But shouldn't he be investing in failing schools in areas of high black ethnicity rather than chucking money at black students who have already made a success of themselves?

He doesn’t have the money to invest in failing schools I wouldn’t think. Nor is there any way of really doing so in the system we have.

So doing what he’s done is really highlighting the importance of high level education. Encouraging people from his background to push themselves to the highest academic achievement they can. And is making a statement that education is important, and is just as important for kids from his background as it is for middle class kids.

Too many celebrities spend their time denigrating educational achievement. They give the impression that ‘making it’ is about being a pop star, rapper, footballer. He’s saying ‘I’m a rapper, I’m hugely successful, very wealthy, yet what I most wanted to do in life was study political science at Oxford University’. That’s a brilliant thing for him to say.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:22 - Aug 16 with 6868 viewsAquinas

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:34 - Aug 16 by Lohengrin

I had dinner at The Rose & Crown in Hay the day before yesterday. Neither of those were on the jukebox, I don’t think.

How are you anyway? You’ve graduated by now, haven’t you? What are you up to?
[Post edited 16 Aug 2018 14:49]

What brought you to Hay?

The Rose & Crown is great, it's the new hangout place for the 20 somethings. Its been under new ownership for about a year and has become quite well known due to its eating challenges. To date they have 21,000 'likes' on Facebook!

I am good. Graduated 3/4 years ago and working in property law in Cardiff after a few years in London. I've been on this forum in it's various guises for over 10 years now. Time flies...
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:36 - Aug 16 with 6849 viewsLohengrin

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:22 - Aug 16 by Aquinas

What brought you to Hay?

The Rose & Crown is great, it's the new hangout place for the 20 somethings. Its been under new ownership for about a year and has become quite well known due to its eating challenges. To date they have 21,000 'likes' on Facebook!

I am good. Graduated 3/4 years ago and working in property law in Cardiff after a few years in London. I've been on this forum in it's various guises for over 10 years now. Time flies...

*I’m always up at Hay. At least once a month.

*I don’t know about twenty-somethings, there was myself and a handful of other tweed enthusiasts propping up the bar.

*Good for you! I had you down as one of the brighter young things right from the off and time has flown!
[Post edited 16 Aug 2018 15:37]

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:40 - Aug 16 with 6838 viewsLohengrin

Good for him.

Given that Oxford currently sits at the apex of the WU rankings you’d be hard pressed to make a case for there being an awful lot in need of fixing, mind.

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:53 - Aug 16 with 6813 viewsFlashberryjack

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 14:39 - Aug 16 by sherpajacob

approx. 3% black, approx. 6% Asian, approx. 80% white British.

hang on, I though we were being over run by swarms and losing our national identity or is all that just made up b*llocks.

What make are the other 11% ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:01 - Aug 16 with 6804 viewsJango

Good for him.

So you don’t think there would be outcry if a famous white artist went back to where he was from and said he’s gonna help 2 White kids?
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:13 - Aug 16 with 6781 viewsLohengrin

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:53 - Aug 16 by Flashberryjack

I believe they are called ‘The Left.” A totally separate sub-species.

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:22 - Aug 16 with 6776 viewslondonlisa2001

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:01 - Aug 16 by Jango

So you don’t think there would be outcry if a famous white artist went back to where he was from and said he’s gonna help 2 White kids?

Yes there probably would be. But there’s no real equivalence. As there isn’t a disadvantaged group called ‘white people’.

If Anthony Hopkins said he was going to find two bursaries for underprivileged kids from Port Talbot there’d be no outcry. If Rooney said he was going to do it for kids from Liverpool there’d be no outcry.

I’d bet that the kids that have the opportunity of a bursary because they come from Norfolk are always white. The mining bursaries I’d bet are almost always for white kids.

There has been systemic prejudice against people from ethnic minority backgrounds in this country for generations. An attempt to elevate people from that background from someone that has come from that themselves is not ‘racist’. It is positive discrimination. A positive discrimination that has happened the other way round for decades.

If you are white, and I assume you are, you have never suffered institutional discrimination in this country because of your colour. You may have suffered it for other reasons, but not because of your colour. That is not to say that individual black people or Asian people or anything else, may not themselves be racist. Of course they can be. As often as white people may be. But institutionally, societally, nah.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:23 - Aug 16 with 6774 viewsomarjack

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:53 - Aug 16 by Flashberryjack

Non-British whites?
[Post edited 16 Aug 2018 16:24]

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:27 - Aug 16 with 6765 viewslondonlisa2001

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 15:40 - Aug 16 by Lohengrin

Given that Oxford currently sits at the apex of the WU rankings you’d be hard pressed to make a case for there being an awful lot in need of fixing, mind.

Yup. And I specifically said it wasn’t their fault.

It’d be nice though if they achieved that while doing so with a cross section of kids from all sorts of backgrounds, not just those whose parents are affluent.

Imagine how good they could be with a much bigger pool of people to choose from. There is less representation from ordinary backgrounds there now than there was in the 80s.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:28 - Aug 16 with 6764 viewsHighjack

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:22 - Aug 16 by londonlisa2001

Yes there probably would be. But there’s no real equivalence. As there isn’t a disadvantaged group called ‘white people’.

If Anthony Hopkins said he was going to find two bursaries for underprivileged kids from Port Talbot there’d be no outcry. If Rooney said he was going to do it for kids from Liverpool there’d be no outcry.

I’d bet that the kids that have the opportunity of a bursary because they come from Norfolk are always white. The mining bursaries I’d bet are almost always for white kids.

There has been systemic prejudice against people from ethnic minority backgrounds in this country for generations. An attempt to elevate people from that background from someone that has come from that themselves is not ‘racist’. It is positive discrimination. A positive discrimination that has happened the other way round for decades.

If you are white, and I assume you are, you have never suffered institutional discrimination in this country because of your colour. You may have suffered it for other reasons, but not because of your colour. That is not to say that individual black people or Asian people or anything else, may not themselves be racist. Of course they can be. As often as white people may be. But institutionally, societally, nah.

Is there a disadvantaged group called “black people”?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:29 - Aug 16 with 6761 viewslondonlisa2001

Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:28 - Aug 16 by Highjack

Is there a disadvantaged group called “black people”?

Yes.
Stormzy and scholarships for black kids. on 16:31 - Aug 16 with 6754 viewsomarjack

I wonder what's the racial/gender distribution of posters on this site.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024