Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
La Liga Game 19:26 - Aug 16 with 1734 viewsfrenzied

I see they have announced that a Spanish La Liga game is to be played in the USA....

I wonder how long it will before we follow suit...
La Liga Game on 08:01 - Aug 17 with 1593 viewsBigKindo

Not quite the same but didn't Hornets play in Toronto recently?
La Liga Game on 08:11 - Aug 17 with 1584 viewsdeeplishblue

Can see it now.....

Rochdale V Hartlepool in Miami.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

La Liga Game on 08:57 - Aug 17 with 1558 viewsyumyum

The authorities always talk of a game 39 being played abroad.Nothing more than a glorified friendly really.No points will be at stake if only 20 teams in the league.Anything for money.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 8:58]
La Liga Game on 10:44 - Aug 17 with 1499 viewsColDale

La Liga Game on 08:57 - Aug 17 by yumyum

The authorities always talk of a game 39 being played abroad.Nothing more than a glorified friendly really.No points will be at stake if only 20 teams in the league.Anything for money.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 8:58]

After La Liga's announcement, I think a 39th game is inevitable.

Aside from the individual teams battling it out, there's a battle between the Premier League and La Liga to be the world's best league in terms of attracting a world wide audience. La Liga has just taken an advantage with this.

I can see a 39th game being created where one weekend the whole Premier League moves around the world with ten games played in venues in the likes of China, Dubai, Australia, New York, Qatar, LA etc a bit like the Superleague's magic weekend but at all different venues.

We know the fans don't want it, but we've seen this week that half the Premier League don't even need a single paying supporter all season.
La Liga Game on 13:01 - Aug 17 with 1449 viewswatford_dale

Probably by next season,

The domestic market is saturated and the money is in the overseas market.

Other sports put on competitive games - NFL (3 games a year) , next year the premium fixture of Boston v NY Yankees will be coming over to the UK, NBA does 1 game a year in January.

If this is going to be done they need competitive games and not just friendlies going overseas.
La Liga Game on 14:38 - Aug 17 with 1392 viewsDaleiLama

La Liga Game on 13:01 - Aug 17 by watford_dale

Probably by next season,

The domestic market is saturated and the money is in the overseas market.

Other sports put on competitive games - NFL (3 games a year) , next year the premium fixture of Boston v NY Yankees will be coming over to the UK, NBA does 1 game a year in January.

If this is going to be done they need competitive games and not just friendlies going overseas.

Tbf, the NFL started the UK experiment with pre-season games back in the 80s and then the NFL tanked in popularity. The recent renaissance also started with pre-season games and now has the Jags potentially looking at making Wembley home.

None of the owners/players were up for it to start with but all could see the financial benefits and as you say, a saturated home market means expanding outside your own shores. Needless to say the US market has vast potential from a numbers point of view too and with all the concussions in the NFL, lots of parents are steering their kids to other sports, meaning "soccer" is getting bigger by the day.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 14:50]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

La Liga Game on 16:41 - Aug 17 with 1303 viewsfunkkk

It's all just a load of bollocks isn't it!?

Competitive premier league games played abroad is surely only a matter of time. Hopefully the bubble bursts one day...
La Liga Game on 17:07 - Aug 17 with 1278 viewsyumyum

Although loads of countries would bid for the top 6 teams live,who is going to bid on a Bournemouth v Hudds game etc?
Login to get fewer ads

La Liga Game on 17:43 - Aug 17 with 1248 viewsJumeirahDale

NFL has an annual game in Mexico now as well, in addition to the 3 in the UK. I believe Canada has been done in the past also. Geography is quickly becoming irrelevant in the top flights - wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the money cascaded downwards appropriately to support the lower leagues but it never will.
La Liga Game on 21:24 - Aug 17 with 1170 viewsShun

La Liga Game on 10:44 - Aug 17 by ColDale

Aside from the individual teams battling it out, there's a battle between the Premier League and La Liga to be the world's best league in terms of attracting a world wide audience. La Liga has just taken an advantage with this.

I can see a 39th game being created where one weekend the whole Premier League moves around the world with ten games played in venues in the likes of China, Dubai, Australia, New York, Qatar, LA etc a bit like the Superleague's magic weekend but at all different venues.

We know the fans don't want it, but we've seen this week that half the Premier League don't even need a single paying supporter all season.

How would you work out who plays who in the 39th game out of interest?
La Liga Game on 02:07 - Aug 18 with 1094 viewsMorden

La Liga Game on 10:44 - Aug 17 by ColDale

Speaking of the Premier League and La Liga battling it out, I think an actual competition between leagues - 1st v 1st, 2nd v 2nd etc - would be interesting. The world's cities could bid for them, though can't imagine many going for West Brom v Malaga

Then after the English teams get taken to the cleaners, perhaps there might be less of this 'Best League In The World' nonsense
La Liga Game on 03:50 - Aug 18 with 1075 viewsdownunder

What next? They will be having international tournaments in stupid locations ,like Qatar!
La Liga Game on 04:38 - Aug 18 with 1068 viewspioneer

La Liga Game on 17:43 - Aug 17 by JumeirahDale

NFL has an annual game in Mexico now as well, in addition to the 3 in the UK. I believe Canada has been done in the past also. Geography is quickly becoming irrelevant in the top flights - wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the money cascaded downwards appropriately to support the lower leagues but it never will.

Buffalo bills signed a deal with the Rogers media empire to play one preseason and one regular season game in Toronto. Bills owner was sussing out the possibility of moving the franchise to Toronto and Bon Jovi was one name interested in being involved in ownership. As a result his music was banned from Buffalo sporting events.

The experiment lasted for about 4 seasons and the regular season game was always played in December to avoid clashing with the Canadian Football Leage season. The experiment was a bit of a flop because toronto folks attending were largely suporting the visitors and most Buffalo fans boycotted the games in protest. Also under Canada’s oppressive licensing laws there was no tailgaiting....which for buffalo fans was the best part of the day.
La Liga Game on 06:40 - Aug 18 with 1053 viewsnordenblue

La Liga Game on 08:01 - Aug 17 by BigKindo

Not quite the same but didn't Hornets play in Toronto recently?

Yes and Toulouse fairly recently
La Liga Game on 08:32 - Aug 18 with 1016 viewsColDale

La Liga Game on 21:24 - Aug 17 by Shun

How would you work out who plays who in the 39th game out of interest?

Theyve found a way to make it work in Rugby by selecting attractive fixtures, and in case making it derbies. It can be unfair if the team a team with a tougher opponent had their league position impacted but I reckon the money that would be on offer from doing this would be more than tempting.for the PL teams. They'd make an absolute fortune from doing it.

I reckon it would run something like this:
Saturday
9am (Melbourne)
11am (Beijing)
1pm (Dubai)
6pm (New York)
10pm (LA)
Sunday
9am (Sydney)
11am (Tokyo)
1pm (Qatar)
6pm (Miami)
10pm (Las Vegas)
La Liga Game on 13:44 - Aug 18 with 906 viewsDaleiLama

La Liga Game on 08:32 - Aug 18 by ColDale

Theyve found a way to make it work in Rugby by selecting attractive fixtures, and in case making it derbies. It can be unfair if the team a team with a tougher opponent had their league position impacted but I reckon the money that would be on offer from doing this would be more than tempting.for the PL teams. They'd make an absolute fortune from doing it.

I reckon it would run something like this:
Saturday
9am (Melbourne)
11am (Beijing)
1pm (Dubai)
6pm (New York)
10pm (LA)
Sunday
9am (Sydney)
11am (Tokyo)
1pm (Qatar)
6pm (Miami)
10pm (Las Vegas)

Similar in NFL. Started with pre-season friendlies, then inter-conference, then conference games and most recently some divisional games (the latter being most important for tie-breakers). US home team fans hate it as giving up one home game out of only eight is understandably unpopular. Money always talks loudest though.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024