Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early evaluation 00:34 - Aug 18 with 7821 viewsCroftyjack

So heres my early evaluation after 3 games.

Positives: Unbeaten with only 1 goal conceded, 2 clean sheets
Some of the u23s look like they could be useful and have desire.
Potter learning quickly about the squad and the league
The quality the teams we played is gash(luckily tonight and 2nd half Preston)

Negatives: 2nd half against Sheff utd and 1st half Preston we looked decent..the rest we looked poor.
The Squad looks thin and lacks quality.
We have not addressed last seasons issues..ie midfield and creativity.
Reluctant to use Naughton,Montero, Narsingh and Dyer could mean they be loaned off.
Lack of urgency with new additions with at least 4 really needed for the squad.
No leaders on the pitch..again what we missed last season.

So you can view it 2 ways..7 points from 9 with plenty of room for improvement or we are lucky so far and things could have been different in the 3 games and with 43 games left the squad could fizzle away.

I'm going to be optimistic and hope we get those 3 or 4 quality players and Potter will get the team really going!!
Early evaluation on 19:18 - Aug 18 with 1457 viewsDJack

Early evaluation on 19:03 - Aug 18 by Flashberryjack

Long term investment then.

The yanks won't put in a single penny, they will try to build us as we did once before. Buy hungry young talent who then get sold on for a profit for re-investing and work upwards until Premier league and flip the club. Long term re-investment of club money not yank money.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Early evaluation on 19:24 - Aug 18 with 1449 viewsOldjack

3 or 4 quality players Naaaaa ,we'll be lucky to get one i'm still baffled by the non appearance of Jeff though, he can and will put the opposition on the back foot

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Early evaluation on 19:42 - Aug 18 with 1428 viewsJack_Meoff

Early evaluation on 19:24 - Aug 18 by Oldjack

3 or 4 quality players Naaaaa ,we'll be lucky to get one i'm still baffled by the non appearance of Jeff though, he can and will put the opposition on the back foot

We'd probably had seen him against Preston had the keeper not got injured, and I guess the thinking was that we needed shoring up last night rather than try and go for the win. He'll be fresh for Tuesday at least.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Early evaluation on 04:17 - Aug 19 with 1335 viewsE20Jack

Early evaluation on 13:24 - Aug 18 by Fireboy2

Our position atm is false

We wont find our true standing for another 3 months

Just need a few loan signings in and the players that arent getting games or have earmarked to be loan out gone then potter can work his magic

Just hope the bellends who run us back him

And fwiw and i think i speak for most swans fans,im totally grateful for the last 7 years,whilst the last 3 have been a nightmare its been a privilege to part of the besr league in the world

Now we have to knuckle down and enjoy the ride

Yet if we were bottom nobody would be saying it is ''a false position'' they would be revelling in it.

If a nightmare is managing to survive relegation for 3 years back to back, then almost half of the PL and 100% of the football league would love some of that nightmare. Think of the celebrations if Cardiff manage to stay up - yet we see doing that 3 times in a row as a nightmare?!

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Early evaluation on 07:32 - Aug 19 with 1303 viewsjack247

Early evaluation on 04:17 - Aug 19 by E20Jack

Yet if we were bottom nobody would be saying it is ''a false position'' they would be revelling in it.

If a nightmare is managing to survive relegation for 3 years back to back, then almost half of the PL and 100% of the football league would love some of that nightmare. Think of the celebrations if Cardiff manage to stay up - yet we see doing that 3 times in a row as a nightmare?!

I think people are talking about our current position.

As much as it’s undeniably a massive achievement to remain in the PL for 7 years, we are in a shaky position on the pitch right now. Three centre backs, two of whom have a handful of games for Cheltenham between them, a very lightweight midfield, one fit striker for the foreseeable.

We do have a fantastic manager by the looks of it, so credit for that.

I don’t think we are in a false position at the moment, we have rode our luck in the last two games but clung on for the result. This has got implosion written all over it though unless Potter gets the reinforcements he desperately needs.
Early evaluation on 07:35 - Aug 19 with 1292 viewsE20Jack

Early evaluation on 07:32 - Aug 19 by jack247

I think people are talking about our current position.

As much as it’s undeniably a massive achievement to remain in the PL for 7 years, we are in a shaky position on the pitch right now. Three centre backs, two of whom have a handful of games for Cheltenham between them, a very lightweight midfield, one fit striker for the foreseeable.

We do have a fantastic manager by the looks of it, so credit for that.

I don’t think we are in a false position at the moment, we have rode our luck in the last two games but clung on for the result. This has got implosion written all over it though unless Potter gets the reinforcements he desperately needs.

That position (the one we currently find ourselves in) goes hand in hand with such successes though, especially for that prolonged period of time. If you don't like this position then celebrating promotion to the PL seems counter intuitive. Because as a result, we will be in this position again and again and again should we have any sort of success at the top table.

Early evaluation on 07:40 - Aug 19 with 1295 viewsjack247

Early evaluation on 07:35 - Aug 19 by E20Jack

That position (the one we currently find ourselves in) goes hand in hand with such successes though, especially for that prolonged period of time. If you don't like this position then celebrating promotion to the PL seems counter intuitive. Because as a result, we will be in this position again and again and again should we have any sort of success at the top table.

Not necessarily. I get that we had been in the PL with PL outgoings longer than most newly relegated sides. I also get that most have better owners.

It’s very rare to see a cull of this magnitude though, most teams sell their best couple of players, get reasonable money for them and reinvest some of it on cheaper replacements. Being kind, we haven’t really done that.
Early evaluation on 07:49 - Aug 19 with 1282 viewsE20Jack

Early evaluation on 07:40 - Aug 19 by jack247

Not necessarily. I get that we had been in the PL with PL outgoings longer than most newly relegated sides. I also get that most have better owners.

It’s very rare to see a cull of this magnitude though, most teams sell their best couple of players, get reasonable money for them and reinvest some of it on cheaper replacements. Being kind, we haven’t really done that.

But it's also very rare for a club with such limited resources to have so much sustained success in the PL - and as a result taking on those costs.

I would say the only club that has managed what we have done is Wigan and they went through a similar culling upon relegation, they got rid of 20+ players. Their highest outlay on a single player was 2.1m and didn't they bring in 8 or 9 loan players? maybe more, and a host of free transfers.

However we are reaping the rewards of some investment into our infrastructure, especially the academy. Even if it just acted as an incubator for other clubs talent that we are now benefiting from.

People need to understand that football is cyclical, if you cheer for promotion then be realistic and know as a result you will have to take the fall, because it WILL come. Hence why I can never understand people calling such periods ''nightmares'' when they are a byproduct of the very success they have longed for.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2018 7:55]

Login to get fewer ads

Early evaluation on 07:59 - Aug 19 with 1273 viewsDewi1jack

Early evaluation on 18:42 - Aug 18 by raynor94

With the greatest respect, why do you bother, sounds like you have given up already?

Well said sir.

"We may as well concede against Leeds.
In fact no point putting any players out on the pitch for any game in case they get bullied on the pitch and heads drop".

What a touched, strange, in fact totally Twp attitude some of our fans have.

Personally, I'm happy to see players giving their all so far, refusing to be bullied, playing together as a team.
What a refreshing change from the last 2 seasons.

Are we seriously thin as a squad?
Painfully.

Who's to blame?
Think we all know the answer to that.

Am I worried about the effect the inevitable suspensions and injuries happen will have?
Yes. Because our squad is painfully thin. I personally blame the board / sellouts for the position we're in.
Will I still hate anyone who boos the team when they're on the pitch?
Yes so nothing's changed there.

To the doom and gloom merchants.
Peddle your sh1t somewhere else please and give the lads time to grow into the club. They are our future now thanks to the snide, lying vermin crap that sold our club to unsuitable owners.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Early evaluation on 08:07 - Aug 19 with 1269 viewsjack247

Early evaluation on 07:49 - Aug 19 by E20Jack

But it's also very rare for a club with such limited resources to have so much sustained success in the PL - and as a result taking on those costs.

I would say the only club that has managed what we have done is Wigan and they went through a similar culling upon relegation, they got rid of 20+ players. Their highest outlay on a single player was 2.1m and didn't they bring in 8 or 9 loan players? maybe more, and a host of free transfers.

However we are reaping the rewards of some investment into our infrastructure, especially the academy. Even if it just acted as an incubator for other clubs talent that we are now benefiting from.

People need to understand that football is cyclical, if you cheer for promotion then be realistic and know as a result you will have to take the fall, because it WILL come. Hence why I can never understand people calling such periods ''nightmares'' when they are a byproduct of the very success they have longed for.

We have had a similar cull, our highest outlay is around £3m (in a more inflated market than when Wigan went down), we’ve probably spent that again on Asoro, McKay and John combined and not loaned anyone? Dhanda in on a free.

Even if we manage to replicate what Wigan did, with Potter and his team choosing the 8 or 9 loans and the host of frees, I’d be a lot happier. Do you see that happening?
Early evaluation on 08:49 - Aug 19 with 1233 viewsE20Jack

Early evaluation on 08:07 - Aug 19 by jack247

We have had a similar cull, our highest outlay is around £3m (in a more inflated market than when Wigan went down), we’ve probably spent that again on Asoro, McKay and John combined and not loaned anyone? Dhanda in on a free.

Even if we manage to replicate what Wigan did, with Potter and his team choosing the 8 or 9 loans and the host of frees, I’d be a lot happier. Do you see that happening?

No I dont. Our success and thus level of play was much higher than Wigan’s, I only highlighted them as they are the closest example of what happens to small teams after such sustained success. I don’t think think they had back to back top 10 finishes for example, and of course lumbered with the costs of that.

I also would like to think we are smarter than signing free transfers like that. They are usually free transfers for a reason and have significant costs associated to them as a result of there being no fee, the ones that are any way half decent anyway.

Do I think we will get some loans in however? Yes 1 or 2 would be my guess.

Early evaluation on 09:46 - Aug 19 with 1216 viewsJackSomething

Early evaluation on 07:49 - Aug 19 by E20Jack

West Brom?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Early evaluation on 10:30 - Aug 19 with 1178 viewsE20Jack

Early evaluation on 09:46 - Aug 19 by JackSomething

West Brom?

Much bigger club than us. And are a notorious team for yo-yo-ing between the Prem and Championship. They have been promoted to the PL four times and spent the last 25 years of their existence in the top 2 divisions.

We came from league 2 to the PL relatively quickly and did not have the structure, fanbase or stadium in place to properly and sustainably support it. Nor will we ever probably. This is why relegation hits teams like us and Wigan harder after such a period there, absorbing that fall is a lot harder.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2018 10:35]

Early evaluation on 10:40 - Aug 19 with 1166 viewsAl_Bundy

Early evaluation on 09:54 - Aug 18 by MattG

On the quality of our passing, one possibility is that Brum deliberately left the grass a bit longer.

Someone mentioned on commentary about the pitch looking a bit sticky so wonder if it was that and the youngsters struggled to come to terms with it, particularly first half.

The reason our passing was poor is we lacked composure when pressed. Many of them went into panic mode. What didn't help is when we did get it forward v Brum is we couldn't hold the ball up at all.
Early evaluation on 18:58 - Aug 19 with 1060 viewsOldjack

Early evaluation on 10:40 - Aug 19 by Al_Bundy

The reason our passing was poor is we lacked composure when pressed. Many of them went into panic mode. What didn't help is when we did get it forward v Brum is we couldn't hold the ball up at all.

Pressing is what dirty Liids do best atm ,i hope we've learnt something from the Brum game
[Post edited 19 Aug 2018 19:24]

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Early evaluation on 19:04 - Aug 19 with 1056 viewsjack247

Early evaluation on 09:46 - Aug 19 by JackSomething

West Brom?

Stoke would be a better example, traditionally a bigger club, but have been through the divisions with not much better teams and not much bigger crowds than us.

Of course, they have a wealthy local owner who cares about the club.
Early evaluation on 20:15 - Aug 19 with 1013 viewsFlashberryjack

Early evaluation on 19:07 - Aug 18 by Neath_Jack

Depends what you're deeming long term / short term, in the football business world.

If we are not back up there by the time the parachute payments run out, then it will get interesting i expect.

When the parachute payments ends, the yanks will be gone.

What's left will be very interesting indeed.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Early evaluation on 21:15 - Aug 19 with 984 viewsE20Jack

Early evaluation on 19:04 - Aug 19 by jack247

Stoke would be a better example, traditionally a bigger club, but have been through the divisions with not much better teams and not much bigger crowds than us.

Of course, they have a wealthy local owner who cares about the club.

That will also come to an end.

It’s cyclical.

Unless they can find another mega rich Stoke buyer. Then they will be in they hands if someone who puts miney before the club.

Early evaluation on 21:36 - Aug 19 with 960 viewsbuilthjack

Early evaluation on 18:58 - Aug 19 by Oldjack

Pressing is what dirty Liids do best atm ,i hope we've learnt something from the Brum game
[Post edited 19 Aug 2018 19:24]

When they were known as dirty Leeds, I think there was a far dirtier team. Liverpool.
Just saying.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Early evaluation on 13:59 - Aug 20 with 872 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Early evaluation on 00:46 - Aug 18 by DJack

A great post Crofty.

Much better than I was expecting to be honest !!!

But it's a long season and in the Championship, lots of teams start badly and fade and the reverse on occasions.

Leeds will give us a real idea of where we are, although even then win or lose it's too early to judge, I always say ten games and we will know where we are !!!

Great Start Potter keep it up !!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024