Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader 00:12 - Aug 20 with 8806 viewsDarran

It has been almost two weeks since I was voted back in as Chair of the Swans Trust and I have to say that the two weeks have flown by in a flurry of activity not just for me but from the board at large.

One of the commitments that I made to the board when I was elected as Chair this time was that I would ensure that our communication increased — or should I say continues to increase as it has stepped up quite a bit over the past six months thanks to some excellent work from board members.

Clearly much of the focus of the Trust board at the moment is the continuation of the mediation process that kicked off back in May. It has been the advice of the legal advisors that we say little about this in the public domain at the moment, but I can assure all members that this is a big focus for us as a board and a fuller update will be provided soon. As I said I cannot give much away but there are some key dates in this process and some of these are looming large on the horizon which means that updates have to be provided as they pass, and the mediation takes the course that it needs to follow. Sorry if some of that sounds a little vague but I want to change this in the near future, just as soon as we are able to.

Elsewhere of course we have had to face up to the very relevant concerns of all fans around the club’s activity in the transfer window. We issued a statement that I hope everyone saw around this and have requested answers from the club’s majority owners which relate to the concerns being raised by everyone around the club’s finances and budgets. Whilst as an organisation we expect most accept that belts had to be tightened following relegation it does feel like we have taken that tightening too far and at the expense of the depth of the squad. It may be when these answers come back that we are not able to share them chapter and verse (due to confidentiality constraints) but I want everyone to be assured that the right questions are being asked in line with the concerns that have rightfully been raised. I would also add here that we have placed some deadlines on the owners for answers which is important to ensure that answers are forthcoming.

On the subject of the club we have also asked — through our Supporter Director — to obtain a page in the match-day programme. This is part of our aim to increase communication and whilst we wait for an answer we see no reason why the representatives of the supporters should not be granted this so watch this space. Whilst programme sales are nowhere near as high as maybe they used to be this is part of our programme to increase communications with members (and by default non-members as well) so that people get a greater understanding of what we are doing.

On another front I have been pleased to see positive feedback coming from many people renewing their memberships but also people coming back and becoming members again, maybe after a time where they have not been members. I would urge everyone who is not a member to consider becoming one particularly as I see some level of consultation process coming up and the only way to get your view counted is to actually be a member, so you have that all important vote. I do understand why people are reluctant to become members, but I hope that through communications like this and strong election statements that you will consider joining and supporting us as we try and progress as an organisation.

One of the things that we have been criticised for in the past has been Trust board members taking seats in the directors’ box on a matchday. This has been the subject of a wide discussion as a board and for now the majority (but by no means unanimous) view of the Trust board is that we should continue to take up our right to be represented. Stuart — as our Supporter Director — remains a director of the football club and should have his presence there with maybe 1 or 2 further Trust board members for support. It is up to every board member as individuals if they wish to attend when the opportunity arises, but it is important to stress that this continued presence is the majority view of the board at the moment but will be continually reviewed.

I mentioned Stuart above and I — and he — are aware of criticism over how we need to raise his profile. He is in agreement with me that this needs to happen and we will be working together to make sure that this happens. One of the things that we are looking at first is an online Q&A where he will take questions and answer them to the best of his ability. This will be a good session to undertake and whilst we won’t be aiming to hide behind ‘confidentiality’ rules I would ask people to understand that we cannot make public every little detail of the football club, the balance here is very difficult to achieve, but I hope that you see this to be a step in the right direction. In addition to the session with Stuart, there are plans for me to do one as Chair and then make these a more regular process stretching to other board members as another way of keeping members informed and having a greater understanding of the board.

Our next board meeting is scheduled for 3rd September at which I hope that we can get further clarity on the focus of the various sub groups that work within the Trust board. In particular I am excited to see some of the ideas that the communications and membership sub groups can come up with as these are both big focus areas for us.

Finally, for this update, there plans afoot to hold a member’s forum in the near future — provisionally we are looking at early September but this is a date to be confirmed but as soon as we know for certain we will let you know.

So anyway, that is the first of the regular Chairman’s Updates giving you updates on what we are working on and how things are progressing within the Trust. As ever I am keen to hear from members and non-members alike in terms of what you maybe have questions on or things you would like to hear updates about. I will reply to all e-mails just allow me some time to fit them in around all different commitments as well.

Phil Sumbler
Chairman, Swansea City Supporters Trust

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 00:44 - Aug 21 with 1443 viewsHighjack

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 21:52 - Aug 20 by builthjack

Can't Stu come on here and speak for himself?

Or just say anything ever.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 10:56 - Aug 21 with 1320 viewsDafyddHuw

To Phil Sumbler

As our Supporters' Director refuses to communicate with err...the supporters...can you point out exactly what he has done since his appointment?
The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 11:33 - Aug 21 with 1292 viewsUxbridge

The irony is that a lot of what Stu does is a matter of public record, included in the monthly board minutes at https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/trust-board-and-agm-minutes/

I'll cut and paste the latest one from the July below which gives a taste of what the SD role requires.

Maybe, if the SD report was framed differently (e.g. put on its own page, sent to members directly) etc then the perception that it's some sort of perk, he does nothing etc would simply go away, because to be frank it's clearly not true, a thankless job that takes plenty of time and impacts your personal life for zero recompense (there's a tap in for someone there).

Nobody would be happier than me if Stu came on here to shoot the sh1t, or other social media platforms, but he's not that sort of person and never has been really, bar the occasional post on here in the old days. Anyway, as I say, the work he does could be framed better and being perfectly honest that's a Trust board failing more than his.

It shouldn't fall all on the SD anyway. The board is 15 strong (if we include affiliates) and each has a responsibility to engage with the fans and members in a variety of ways. I may post on here and elsewhere online but I don't tend to do many away games. Stu is generally at away games and generally in the away end talking to fans (and to reiterate Clasey's point, he'd be far happier outside the DB and often ends up there by default). There's lots of ways to engage with the fanbase and just because one person isn't doing one method, it doesn't mean they aren't doing others.

Anyway, as has been talked about often enough, the Trust has considerable scope to improve it's comms and engagement with the members and plans to improve that are already in motion. Forums, both online and in person, will be scheduled soon, and I know Stu is planning to be fully involved with both types of those, as he has been plenty of times in the past.

So, that last report, I'll c&p below. https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/trust-board-and-agm-minutes/

SMcD reported that our new Manager, Graham Potter and his management team are now in place. The Trust Board met with Graham and Kyle Macauley at Fairwood, and it is fair to say that we were impressed with his knowledge, freshness, honesty and commitment to the task ahead. There is also no doubt that Graham and Kyle (Head of Recruitment) will have a huge say in the recruitment of players ongoing.

The feedback from the Club Board Meeting is that there will have to be a significant cut in the Player cost budget for 2018/19. The likely reduction in total revenues from season 2017/18 will be £65m +, which will inevitably lead to us moving high earning players on. This is a slow process at the moment, but is expected to gather momentum once the World Cup is over, and once the big money clubs commence trading, which will then filter down through the Leagues.

On the Commercial side we will inevitably see a significant drop in revenues from those in the Premier League, but there are new sponsorship deals being struck albeit at reduced revenue levels. These include BetUK.com as front of shirt sponsor and Swansea University as back of shirt sponsor, with other new potential deals as the Club look to widen its base of commercial partners.
The Club have financially benefitted from the two successful concerts held at the Liberty Stadium this summer (The Killers and Little Mix), and have been hosting courses for Overseas coaches which are also bringing in welcome revenues.

I have continued discussions with the Club on the importance and ways to improve engagement with Supporters, the Fans Forum with Graham Potter and his Management Team being an example of this, and there should be future activity in this area.

Invited Jonathan Wilsher, Head of Media & Marketing to give a brief overview of the Live Streaming situation and to answer questions. The Club have taken a decision to undertake its own live streaming primarily because it felt it could produce a better product than iFollow (the official EFL live streaming facility). A significant number of other Clubs are doing the same. The Club used RamsTV as a guide to the sort of service it wished to provide and whilst iFollow has one static camera, the Club will operate with
two additional cameras at all games it streams. It will also include a studio based discussion around the game. The 20% discount to USA customers was also mentioned, it seems this is an arrangement with Stateside Jacks members as part of a package which will see them doing various promotional stuff for the club in the US. Confirmed that the Club are looking to increase availability of Stadium and Training Ground tours both commercially and for Community Groups, a couple of small but nevertheless welcome commercial opportunities the Trust have been pursuing.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 12:08 - Aug 21 with 1240 viewsDarran

Nobody has said it’s a perk being SD Andrew,they’ve said there’s perks through being in the Directors Box on a match day.

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 12:11 - Aug 21 with 1233 viewsNeathJack

When did the Trust become aware of the legal case between SSMC & City & County of Swansea regarding the condition of the Liberty Stadium?

Has this been discussed at Trust Board meetings and if so, what was the outcome of those discussions?

Thanks.
The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 13:13 - Aug 21 with 1174 viewsUxbridge

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 12:08 - Aug 21 by Darran

Nobody has said it’s a perk being SD Andrew,they’ve said there’s perks through being in the Directors Box on a match day.

Nonsense. In fact I clearly recall you saying he loved being in there. There's plenty who have said that Stu, and others, are only there for the status and what they can get. It's still bollox.

Maybe it's because I've done it a few times (4 I think, if we're keeping count, 2 league, 2 league cup) in the distant past that I think it's no perk, for me anyway. I'd much rather have a few pints and watch the game in the East with the other half/kids/mates than have a pretty average buffet and make conversation (polite or otherwise) with the people that are there. If I go there, it's a hassle, and not just for me. Some may see it as a perk being in that environment, I concede that, social media is littered with people who would. I've never really understood those sorts of people to be honest.

Anyway, all things being equal, I think the Trust should be represented in the DB. Discussions happen there and decisions get made. I'll give an example. Doubt I'm breaking any confidences here, but the last time I was there was the West Ham game which was Bradley's last game in charge. Of course there were conversations and decisions taken after that game, and if the Trust reps weren't there then the Trust's view would have been totally bypassed (some may argue it was nothing more than a courtesy anyway, and I'm not going to argue on that).

If I had my way, we'd make as much use of it as we could for the Trust's benefit, bring members in, give something back to volunteers who assist the Trust, give as many people as possible an insight into how things like this works, that sort of thing. I'd say there's value in all TB members going in there once or twice, it helped me gain a better insight on things and provides an opportunity to ask questions first hand. I have a much better handle on Jenkins and Pearlman after speaking with them in person than I would otherwise, that's just how life and business works.

If we're on a war footing, and that day may come along pretty soon, then different rules apply and we do what is best for getting our message across. We've not used that as I would have liked in the past, when staying out would have sent a powerful message. You can't make much of a show of boycotting if you're not there in the first place though.

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 13:18 - Aug 21 with 1165 viewsawayjack

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 11:33 - Aug 21 by Uxbridge

The irony is that a lot of what Stu does is a matter of public record, included in the monthly board minutes at https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/trust-board-and-agm-minutes/

I'll cut and paste the latest one from the July below which gives a taste of what the SD role requires.

Maybe, if the SD report was framed differently (e.g. put on its own page, sent to members directly) etc then the perception that it's some sort of perk, he does nothing etc would simply go away, because to be frank it's clearly not true, a thankless job that takes plenty of time and impacts your personal life for zero recompense (there's a tap in for someone there).

Nobody would be happier than me if Stu came on here to shoot the sh1t, or other social media platforms, but he's not that sort of person and never has been really, bar the occasional post on here in the old days. Anyway, as I say, the work he does could be framed better and being perfectly honest that's a Trust board failing more than his.

It shouldn't fall all on the SD anyway. The board is 15 strong (if we include affiliates) and each has a responsibility to engage with the fans and members in a variety of ways. I may post on here and elsewhere online but I don't tend to do many away games. Stu is generally at away games and generally in the away end talking to fans (and to reiterate Clasey's point, he'd be far happier outside the DB and often ends up there by default). There's lots of ways to engage with the fanbase and just because one person isn't doing one method, it doesn't mean they aren't doing others.

Anyway, as has been talked about often enough, the Trust has considerable scope to improve it's comms and engagement with the members and plans to improve that are already in motion. Forums, both online and in person, will be scheduled soon, and I know Stu is planning to be fully involved with both types of those, as he has been plenty of times in the past.

So, that last report, I'll c&p below. https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/trust-board-and-agm-minutes/

SMcD reported that our new Manager, Graham Potter and his management team are now in place. The Trust Board met with Graham and Kyle Macauley at Fairwood, and it is fair to say that we were impressed with his knowledge, freshness, honesty and commitment to the task ahead. There is also no doubt that Graham and Kyle (Head of Recruitment) will have a huge say in the recruitment of players ongoing.

The feedback from the Club Board Meeting is that there will have to be a significant cut in the Player cost budget for 2018/19. The likely reduction in total revenues from season 2017/18 will be £65m +, which will inevitably lead to us moving high earning players on. This is a slow process at the moment, but is expected to gather momentum once the World Cup is over, and once the big money clubs commence trading, which will then filter down through the Leagues.

On the Commercial side we will inevitably see a significant drop in revenues from those in the Premier League, but there are new sponsorship deals being struck albeit at reduced revenue levels. These include BetUK.com as front of shirt sponsor and Swansea University as back of shirt sponsor, with other new potential deals as the Club look to widen its base of commercial partners.
The Club have financially benefitted from the two successful concerts held at the Liberty Stadium this summer (The Killers and Little Mix), and have been hosting courses for Overseas coaches which are also bringing in welcome revenues.

I have continued discussions with the Club on the importance and ways to improve engagement with Supporters, the Fans Forum with Graham Potter and his Management Team being an example of this, and there should be future activity in this area.

Invited Jonathan Wilsher, Head of Media & Marketing to give a brief overview of the Live Streaming situation and to answer questions. The Club have taken a decision to undertake its own live streaming primarily because it felt it could produce a better product than iFollow (the official EFL live streaming facility). A significant number of other Clubs are doing the same. The Club used RamsTV as a guide to the sort of service it wished to provide and whilst iFollow has one static camera, the Club will operate with
two additional cameras at all games it streams. It will also include a studio based discussion around the game. The 20% discount to USA customers was also mentioned, it seems this is an arrangement with Stateside Jacks members as part of a package which will see them doing various promotional stuff for the club in the US. Confirmed that the Club are looking to increase availability of Stadium and Training Ground tours both commercially and for Community Groups, a couple of small but nevertheless welcome commercial opportunities the Trust have been pursuing.

Hindsight is useful but reading that statement..
- Did the club indicate the extent of the firesale of players and huge cuts in playing squad without suitable replacements? The PR seemed to be we’d sell and then re-invest a decent amount. We haven’t.
- Any business with such a huge revenue loss looks to cut across the business, particularly back office with less impact on performance. Why have only playing costs been targetted? If the 2017 accounts are accurate it looks like there was £70m or so of non playing costs. Does an apparently broke championship team need an large and very expensive Board and hundreds of support staff really a priority over players?
- Leaders. We fire managers in a heartbeat but our Board, Consultants and senior support staff who’ve underperformed massively don’t seem to have any consequence. If change is to be made it needs to start at the very top. Do they receonise this or will we continue with’jobs for the boys’ culture.
- Shareholder Costs / offshore transfers. Do we have full anaylisis of the costs and anything to do with the shareholders, directors or their advisors? Is there protection in place to ensure funds can’t be transferred to owners various offshore companies?

Conscious there are confidentiality issues but any assurances from the Trust we’re asking the critical questions not the irrelevant stuff that’s made us look like patsies we’ve been over the last 3 years.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2018 13:20]
The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 13:42 - Aug 21 with 1137 viewsUxbridge

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 13:18 - Aug 21 by awayjack

- Did the club indicate the extent of the firesale of players and huge cuts in playing squad without suitable replacements? The PR seemed to be we’d sell and then re-invest a decent amount. We haven’t.
- Any business with such a huge revenue loss looks to cut across the business, particularly back office with less impact on performance. Why have only playing costs been targetted? If the 2017 accounts are accurate it looks like there was £70m or so of non playing costs. Does an apparently broke championship team need an large and very expensive Board and hundreds of support staff really a priority over players?
- Leaders. We fire managers in a heartbeat but our Board, Consultants and senior support staff who’ve underperformed massively don’t seem to have any consequence. If change is to be made it needs to start at the very top. Do they receonise this or will we continue with’jobs for the boys’ culture.
- Shareholder Costs / offshore transfers. Do we have full anaylisis of the costs and anything to do with the shareholders, directors or their advisors? Is there protection in place to ensure funds can’t be transferred to owners various offshore companies?

Conscious there are confidentiality issues but any assurances from the Trust we’re asking the critical questions not the irrelevant stuff that’s made us look like patsies we’ve been over the last 3 years.

Safe to say, the Trust board has plenty of questions arising from the decisions made in recent weeks and the impact they have on our current and future financial position. Those are being asked, and in detail. What can be shared publicly is always an issue, and we do have to be responsible in what we say whether we like it or not, but yes I believe the right questions are being asked. Questions have always been asked though, and think the comment about irrelevant ones is a bit unfair.

Like anything, there's a difference between theory and practice. The Trust, and I think most on here, are well aware that relegation creates a financial hole that needs plugging, players will want to leave, we will want to get players out for various reasons (and not just financial, but that is often the driver). The things that a PL club can do are not the same as what a Championship club will have the budget to do. As an example, commercial deals will always be smaller and more difficult in this division than the Prem. That surely has a knock on effect somewhere in terms of salaries and staffing levels, although you also have to balance against aiming for a return to the PL. Not sure where you get £70m though, that's off by quite some distance. Obviously there are plenty of questions regarding the handling of the player sales, the balance of the squad after that (did we recruit in the right areas etc), and where that leaves us financially. That will become clearer now the dust is settling.

Probably not specific answers there, but yes I believe we have the right people asking the right questions.

Login to get fewer ads

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 14:01 - Aug 21 with 1105 viewsDarran

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 13:13 - Aug 21 by Uxbridge

Nonsense. In fact I clearly recall you saying he loved being in there. There's plenty who have said that Stu, and others, are only there for the status and what they can get. It's still bollox.

Maybe it's because I've done it a few times (4 I think, if we're keeping count, 2 league, 2 league cup) in the distant past that I think it's no perk, for me anyway. I'd much rather have a few pints and watch the game in the East with the other half/kids/mates than have a pretty average buffet and make conversation (polite or otherwise) with the people that are there. If I go there, it's a hassle, and not just for me. Some may see it as a perk being in that environment, I concede that, social media is littered with people who would. I've never really understood those sorts of people to be honest.

Anyway, all things being equal, I think the Trust should be represented in the DB. Discussions happen there and decisions get made. I'll give an example. Doubt I'm breaking any confidences here, but the last time I was there was the West Ham game which was Bradley's last game in charge. Of course there were conversations and decisions taken after that game, and if the Trust reps weren't there then the Trust's view would have been totally bypassed (some may argue it was nothing more than a courtesy anyway, and I'm not going to argue on that).

If I had my way, we'd make as much use of it as we could for the Trust's benefit, bring members in, give something back to volunteers who assist the Trust, give as many people as possible an insight into how things like this works, that sort of thing. I'd say there's value in all TB members going in there once or twice, it helped me gain a better insight on things and provides an opportunity to ask questions first hand. I have a much better handle on Jenkins and Pearlman after speaking with them in person than I would otherwise, that's just how life and business works.

If we're on a war footing, and that day may come along pretty soon, then different rules apply and we do what is best for getting our message across. We've not used that as I would have liked in the past, when staying out would have sent a powerful message. You can't make much of a show of boycotting if you're not there in the first place though.

So you are saying there no perks to being in the Directors Box on a match day?

Utter fuçking crap.

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 14:06 - Aug 21 with 1101 viewscostalotta

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 13:18 - Aug 21 by awayjack

Excellent post.
The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 14:11 - Aug 21 with 1096 viewsUxbridge

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 14:01 - Aug 21 by Darran

So you are saying there no perks to being in the Directors Box on a match day?

Utter fuçking crap.

Depends if you're the sort who takes an inordinate amount of selfies wherever you go. I'd much rather be elsewhere.

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 14:56 - Aug 21 with 1048 viewsSmellyplumz

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 14:11 - Aug 21 by Uxbridge

Depends if you're the sort who takes an inordinate amount of selfies wherever you go. I'd much rather be elsewhere.

Due to my job at the time I've been in the directors box a few times at qpr when they where playing the swans and I hated it so much that at half time I asked the stadium security to take me through the qpr stand into the away end. It's not somewhere I'd like to be.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

The Trust Website is shit so here’s the statement from our Leader on 17:19 - Aug 21 with 953 views1983

Hilarious that the trust have “asked” for a page in the match programme 🤞

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024