Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are 22:44 - Aug 21 with 8260 viewsMagic_Michu

Having read the Leeds forums, listened to their fans on TalkShite and heard them in and around the ground tonight you would have thought they were the Barcelona of the championship.

When really, you press them slightly and they turn to sh*t and we’re played off the park by a threadbare Swansea team made up of inexperienced kids.

Don’t take anything away from the way we played tonight... best I’ve seen us playing for years.

But it’s time the scrawny little loud mouth Leeds boys were brought down a peg or two.

Twitter: @swanseadan
Poll: Will the Woods deal happen?

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 06:47 - Aug 22 with 2010 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Regarding the OP - no they aren't. They didn't have a sniff until the mistake for the first goal, then Bielsa had change his tactics and another mistake gave them the draw. We should have finished them off and Celina on another day puts his chance away but I'll grudgingly take a draw.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 07:16 - Aug 22 with 1979 viewsMagic_Michu

Agree, before the game... having seen them against Stoke and seen reports from
Media and their fans I thought they were going to blow us away.

But an average side trying to play nice football under Bielsa but without the required skill or quality to do it.

They certainly were nowhere near the levels we were when we played that sort of style getting promoted last time around.

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 11:09 - Aug 22 with 1840 viewsAce_Jack

Championship is a long old slog. Play like that most weeks and both teams will be in and around the top 8.
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 11:24 - Aug 22 with 1811 viewsUxbridge

It wasn't our best performance for years. That's just silly. Most enjoyable? Maybe.

Nice to see Leeds playing some football. I fully approve and they'll do well because of it. They're still a collection of bang average players though, Pablo aside. Oh Pablo, why did we ever part. I forgive you.

Even nicer to see our kids playing football. Can't underestimate the impact VdH and Fer have on that team. Takes so much pressure off the youngsters who can then thrive with some solidity around them. Enjoyed Celina's work although he really should have scored at the end. McSocks looks to be growing in to the lead striker role, which is a bit of a relief.

Think we saw two teams with a real chance of doing well this season. A bit of footballing quality will get you far in this league and both have a bit. Expect Leeds to be challenging the top 2 (I'm struggling to look past WBA and possibly Sjoke if they get their act together) but at least top 6. As for us, it very much depends who we bring in this loan window - the need for a CB, CM and CF are patently obvious, not just to boost the starting XI but in case we have injuries to key men. I dread to think what would happen if Vdh, Fer or McB got injured. This division is bang average though, and it really wouldn't take much.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 11:30 - Aug 22 with 1796 viewsjack247

Leeds were outplayed last night but still dug in and came from behind twice to get a result. I’m not sure if they weren’t at their best or if they are a bit too kamikaze, but you’ve got to give them credit for getting a point, not many teams would have.
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 11:38 - Aug 22 with 1780 viewsFireboy2

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 11:30 - Aug 22 by jack247

Leeds were outplayed last night but still dug in and came from behind twice to get a result. I’m not sure if they weren’t at their best or if they are a bit too kamikaze, but you’ve got to give them credit for getting a point, not many teams would have.

Give our lot credit for stopping them play

Remember they absolutely tvvatted derby 10 days ago
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 11:54 - Aug 22 with 1746 viewsjack247

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 11:38 - Aug 22 by Fireboy2

Give our lot credit for stopping them play

Remember they absolutely tvvatted derby 10 days ago

We were excellent, comfortably the better team in a very entertaining match.

I’m just giving Leeds credit for getting a point when most teams (set up the way they were) would have been blown away
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 12:00 - Aug 22 with 1734 viewsWandererJack

Yeah they looked decent enough. We were better.

The media have done what the media do and I was fully expecting to see Pep's great Barcelona team rock up last night.
Login to get fewer ads

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 13:08 - Aug 22 with 1667 viewsBarrySwan

"Best I’ve seen us playing for years. "

One can only assume that you don't watch the Swans much?

It was an encouraging performance but it was hardly Barcelonaesque was it?
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 13:10]
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 13:41 - Aug 22 with 1618 viewsCjay

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 06:36 - Aug 22 by dobjack2

I don’t think either side has a good enough squad at present. Ours is paper thin in key areas.

Unless we both strengthen, playing Saturday and midweek will take its toll through injuries, tiredness, loss of form or suspension.

Fully agree.

We are in the same boat and already suffering.
Stuart Dallas, Pontus Jansson, Liam Cooper and Adam Forshaw all out already.

No fit senior cbs at all.

We both have decent first 11s, ok 7 subs, then think we are both paper thin.
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 13:52 - Aug 22 with 1592 viewsCjay

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 07:16 - Aug 22 by Magic_Michu

Agree, before the game... having seen them against Stoke and seen reports from
Media and their fans I thought they were going to blow us away.

But an average side trying to play nice football under Bielsa but without the required skill or quality to do it.

They certainly were nowhere near the levels we were when we played that sort of style getting promoted last time around.

Sorry but again your judging us on one game, a game where despite how you played you only forced our young gk playing behind a makeshift defence to make 2 saves of note, and one of them was going wide anyway from McBurnie.

I read a lot of forums and im now seeing comments like yours about "oh not as good as Wolves, Newcastle, etc etc when we got promoted".

Yet our start is better then all these teams, using practically the same side that finished mid table last season.

I dont think for what its worth we have a deep enough squad to get promoted.

But all these comments judging us on one game (where we didnt play well but could have won in the end and got something, like good teams do), i find the comments quite annoying.

Fact remains we are unbeaten, we are currently top of the league, we dont have a huge budget, our squad isnt as expensive as yours, or Derby or Stoke, but none of you beat us.

Wolves, Newcastle, you when you won promotion, none started as well as us.

We may fall away, fair enough, but people dismissing us after a draw, which is all it was, is silly.

And that was a mini rant, not really my style,
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 13:54]
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 13:58 - Aug 22 with 1577 viewsDr_Winston

If they don't burn themselves out Leeds could be up there. They played decent stuff at times and will certainly be combative. Question marks remain about their squad depth and the tendency for Bielsa sides to go off the boil.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 14:12 - Aug 22 with 1542 viewsomarjack

They have a decent championship squad and all, but I can't think of any player of theirs that I'd really want to play for us.

Hernandez surely, but at the age of 34 and in decline, he's unlikely to fit Potter's philosophy, So really, none.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 14:15 - Aug 22 with 1537 viewsMagic_Michu

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 14:12 - Aug 22 by omarjack

They have a decent championship squad and all, but I can't think of any player of theirs that I'd really want to play for us.

Hernandez surely, but at the age of 34 and in decline, he's unlikely to fit Potter's philosophy, So really, none.

Saiz is a brilliant player... it would be a hard choice between him and Celina... but I ruddy love Celina and he’s far younger and only going to get better so I wouldn’t swap him.

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 15:13 - Aug 22 with 1473 views34dfgdf54

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 14:12 - Aug 22 by omarjack

Douglas at Left Back is a quality player at this level.
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 15:42 - Aug 22 with 1444 viewsFireboy2

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 13:52 - Aug 22 by Cjay

Sorry but again your judging us on one game, a game where despite how you played you only forced our young gk playing behind a makeshift defence to make 2 saves of note, and one of them was going wide anyway from McBurnie.

I read a lot of forums and im now seeing comments like yours about "oh not as good as Wolves, Newcastle, etc etc when we got promoted".

Yet our start is better then all these teams, using practically the same side that finished mid table last season.

But all these comments judging us on one game (where we didnt play well but could have won in the end and got something, like good teams do), i find the comments quite annoying.

Fact remains we are unbeaten, we are currently top of the league, we dont have a huge budget, our squad isnt as expensive as yours, or Derby or Stoke, but none of you beat us.

We may fall away, fair enough, but people dismissing us after a draw, which is all it was, is silly.

I dont think anyone is dismissing you lot,most of us are saying that as you will already know its a long season,you have started well,dont count your chickens sort of thing

Also with the rave reviews you have received you would have expected to blow us away

But you didnt
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 15:59 - Aug 22 with 1415 views1964white

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 11:54 - Aug 22 by jack247

We were excellent, comfortably the better team in a very entertaining match.

I’m just giving Leeds credit for getting a point when most teams (set up the way they were) would have been blown away

You're a fair man Jack

Playing with no recognised centre-back & having to make four enforced changes definitely disrupted our rhythm & dominance we showed v Stoke, Derby & Rotherham.
Swansea exploited our weaknesses & were excellent, your boys pushed us to the limits & was easily our hardest task so far. I'm expecting an easier ride at Norwich on Saturday,

Good luck for the rest of the season
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 16:28 - Aug 22 with 1376 viewsCjay

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 15:42 - Aug 22 by Fireboy2

I dont think anyone is dismissing you lot,most of us are saying that as you will already know its a long season,you have started well,dont count your chickens sort of thing

Also with the rave reviews you have received you would have expected to blow us away

But you didnt

I agree with what you say.

Long season,nothing is decided yet etc.

Was annoyed at the "But an average side trying to play nice football under Bielsa but without the required skill or quality to do it", which considering you only got a draw, at home, seems a tad arrogant thing to say.

With how we have played we should have blown you away, Swansea the way you played vs Brum, vs us if we played like we have vs Stoke, Derby, Rotherham, it would have been a cricket score, It really would.

Credit to you for how you played, did we seem tired? i think so, i dont think our pressing was anywhere near the levels it has been.

But you played well, probably deserved to win, but good teams find a way to get points undeserved.
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 16:50 - Aug 22 with 1345 viewsFireboy2

I think potters system of a 3 5 2/5 3 2 negated your press

The words 'we didnt play as well as we could' doesnt cut the mustard with me

I like the 'you can only play as well as the other team lets you' rings true in most games as our game v the brum can testify
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 17:44 - Aug 22 with 1282 viewsUplandsJack

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 16:28 - Aug 22 by Cjay

I agree with what you say.

Long season,nothing is decided yet etc.

Was annoyed at the "But an average side trying to play nice football under Bielsa but without the required skill or quality to do it", which considering you only got a draw, at home, seems a tad arrogant thing to say.

With how we have played we should have blown you away, Swansea the way you played vs Brum, vs us if we played like we have vs Stoke, Derby, Rotherham, it would have been a cricket score, It really would.

Credit to you for how you played, did we seem tired? i think so, i dont think our pressing was anywhere near the levels it has been.

But you played well, probably deserved to win, but good teams find a way to get points undeserved.

And there my friend is the issue.
We don't have the physicality in our team generally to fight against a tough no nonsense shite hoofballing team like B'ham. Whereas you do.
However put us up against a footballing team like yours and our undoubted qualities will shine through.
You did really well in your first few games against physical teams. Credit to you, that you were able to handle the physicality and still play football. Sadly as i just stated we struggle with that side of the game and without Fer probably would have last night too.
I told everyone who would listen in the ground before the game, I honestly thought we'd beat you and we really, really should have.
Your learning to play the beautiful game under Beilsa and I take may hat off to you for that, but you have to admit we out played you all over the park last night, plain and simple and I'm sure if your honest with yourself, you'd agree. Your team were shocked to come up against a team who play a similar style. You say you thought your team were not at their best, but I suggest it was us, who didn't allow you to play. The few times we slipped off of the level we set, we gifted you chances.
That said credit where it's due, you fought back twice when we gifted those chances to earn a point.
Honestly I think you will do well till Xmas picking up lots of points/wins where apon, unless you strengthen (like us) I believe the wheels will come off. Your Manager is renowned for working his players into the ground and history proves they tend to flag in the second half of seasons, if he stays that long. The championship is like no other league in the world as we all know, so unless he changes his ways which hes not known to do (and I really hope he doesn't, as I truly believe it's the way football should be played), that's how I see your season unfold.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 17:48]
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 17:44 - Aug 22 with 1280 viewsLeonWasGod

Oldest cliche in the book innit. Off your game a bit but to still come away with a point shows a bit of quality and a stubborn streak, especially away from home. Much like us against Brum. Both of us could well be in the mix at the end of the season.
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 21:39 - Aug 22 with 1168 viewsItchySphincter

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 13:52 - Aug 22 by Cjay

Flash in the pan.

Mid table.

...and for a Leeds fan to be pleading poverty on a Swans boars.......? Purrlease....

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 12:13 - Aug 23 with 1043 viewsCjay

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 17:44 - Aug 22 by UplandsJack

And there my friend is the issue.
We don't have the physicality in our team generally to fight against a tough no nonsense shite hoofballing team like B'ham. Whereas you do.
However put us up against a footballing team like yours and our undoubted qualities will shine through.
You did really well in your first few games against physical teams. Credit to you, that you were able to handle the physicality and still play football. Sadly as i just stated we struggle with that side of the game and without Fer probably would have last night too.
I told everyone who would listen in the ground before the game, I honestly thought we'd beat you and we really, really should have.
Your learning to play the beautiful game under Beilsa and I take may hat off to you for that, but you have to admit we out played you all over the park last night, plain and simple and I'm sure if your honest with yourself, you'd agree. Your team were shocked to come up against a team who play a similar style. You say you thought your team were not at their best, but I suggest it was us, who didn't allow you to play. The few times we slipped off of the level we set, we gifted you chances.
That said credit where it's due, you fought back twice when we gifted those chances to earn a point.
Honestly I think you will do well till Xmas picking up lots of points/wins where apon, unless you strengthen (like us) I believe the wheels will come off. Your Manager is renowned for working his players into the ground and history proves they tend to flag in the second half of seasons, if he stays that long. The championship is like no other league in the world as we all know, so unless he changes his ways which hes not known to do (and I really hope he doesn't, as I truly believe it's the way football should be played), that's how I see your season unfold.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 17:48]

You definitely did deserve to win, wouldn't say it was total dominance though, but yes i thought we were lucky, or plucky, to get a draw.

I do agree that you did stop us playing how we usually do to an extent, your passing, your pressing, your energy was a shock to us i think. But, while this may sound like sour grapes, it really isnt, something wasnt right with us, we were no where near the levels of energy and pressing we have in every other game, thats not taking anything away from how you played, but i think all Leeds fans would agree with me on that.

For whatever reason, there is no doubt that we didnt press or battle like we have before.

For all you played well, you playing well cant stop us pressing, you can beat the press, but what i mean is the pressing wasnt there.

Take nothing away from how you played, you were the better side, had we lost then we would have deserved to lose.

I think your probably right, i dont think we have the squad to sustain, but the hope is that we get through to January in decent shape, then strengthen.

Bielsa does as you say work the players into the ground, think thats why its vital we do strengthen with a few loans now, then again in January, whether we will or not i dont know.

Think you and us are in a similar boat, probably 2 of the better footballing sides, on our day very good, but maybe just lacking the depth to go the whole way.

Thanks for your response
Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 12:22 - Aug 23 with 1031 viewsCjay

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 21:39 - Aug 22 by ItchySphincter

Flash in the pan.

Mid table.

...and for a Leeds fan to be pleading poverty on a Swans boars.......? Purrlease....

Maybe so, and in all likelihood you will be there with us.

Not pleading poverty, just making a factual point, your budget and squad cost is much higher then ours

Leeds - not really as great as they think they are on 12:28 - Aug 23 with 1024 viewsHeadmaster

It was one of those weird games where we deserved to win — and should have won, especially with Celina's chance at the end — but a draw is also a fair result given they came back twice.

Leeds will do well this season, but I think many underestimated us going into this match, including some of our own fans (which is understandable given the Birmingham game and the off-field situation). As Potter said, it's a step forward and as long as we see progress, I'll be happy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024