Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. 14:38 - Aug 26 with 8077 viewsdickythorpe

I know there's a few fans on here.
Right, yet another poor season leads many fans to suggest several ideas.
One is to see us relegated to minor counties league and try to rekindle interest by playing at St Helen's and other "out grounds"
Aneurin Donald was supposed to be our star of the future from the "pathway"scheme (academy) but has left on sour terms to Hampshire in the top flight.
His loss isn't a big one as his averages are 11 in the championship , and 16, 13in the shorter formats.
So in his defence how bloody top draw is our coaching set up?
Croft looks washed up! Harrison was an awful player and Maynard would surely have got something out of him which hints at Donald's reputation of being "arrogant"
Hogan has carried the bowling and shown loyalty whilst top flight counties wanted him.
Ingram only wanted to play t 20 which I believe caused animosity.
So, what does the future hold?
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 14:52 - Aug 26 with 6796 viewsKilkennyjack

Its Cardiff Cricket Club now and nobody cares.

Stands for self interest.

Beware of the Risen People

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 15:17 - Aug 26 with 6757 viewsdickythorpe

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 14:52 - Aug 26 by Kilkennyjack

Its Cardiff Cricket Club now and nobody cares.

Stands for self interest.

Which is a massive shame.
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 18:13 - Aug 26 with 6672 viewsoldcob

They aren't competitive anymore. They don't bother picking their best sides. Youngsters get to play in the first team for experience without proving themselves, whilst proven players sit it out. A place in the first team should be something worth proving yourself for, not gifted. Experience should be gained in the seconds, with the occasional first team chance. By the way I don't think Donald will be such a loss, he can't build an innings.
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 18:49 - Aug 26 with 6635 viewsCountyJim

Start off Croft needs to go ive said that before

Bring in a coach from outside

Try and get Ingram to play Championship this season we dont want to finish bottom FFS
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 19:07 - Aug 26 with 6615 viewsoldcob

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 18:49 - Aug 26 by CountyJim

Start off Croft needs to go ive said that before

Bring in a coach from outside

Try and get Ingram to play Championship this season we dont want to finish bottom FFS

Crofty is a good guy, good company and a decent person. If he's the authoritative figure needed in his position I'm not so sure. Too much 'one of the lads' I believe.
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 10:42 - Aug 29 with 6410 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Sadly Glamorgan are only interested in hosting international cricket. They lost the support of their members and the paying public years ago. They get more income from one game in Swansea than three championship games in Cardiff.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 11:01 - Aug 29 with 6379 viewstheloneranger

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 19:07 - Aug 26 by oldcob

Crofty is a good guy, good company and a decent person. If he's the authoritative figure needed in his position I'm not so sure. Too much 'one of the lads' I believe.

There are too many "one of the guys" at the club now, from the top to the bottom.

What's Duncan Fletcher doing nowadays??

The problem with Glamorgan is that they've overspent in Cardiff and Test cricket and there's not much left for the coaching staff recruitment and team rebuilding.

As regards Colin Ingram, I don't think he believes that his knee problems will stand all forms of cricket after his op in 2016. It's a great pity because he'd be a great asset in the red ball game and offer experience to the younger players.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 08:12 - Aug 30 with 6228 viewsCatullus

When it became Cardiff cricket club many people stopped bothering. They spent heavily to attract test matches then took a 2.5 million pay off not to apply for them between 2020-24. That must have annoyed genuine cricket fans in the area, of which I am not one, I do know several though and none of them bother these days. One used to run mini buses to away games but hasn't done so for years now.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 13:24 - Aug 30 with 6164 viewsProfessor

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 08:12 - Aug 30 by Catullus

When it became Cardiff cricket club many people stopped bothering. They spent heavily to attract test matches then took a 2.5 million pay off not to apply for them between 2020-24. That must have annoyed genuine cricket fans in the area, of which I am not one, I do know several though and none of them bother these days. One used to run mini buses to away games but hasn't done so for years now.

I was a Glamorgan member when I worked and studied in Cardiff in the 90s. A great team that won the championship and Sunday League. Not only did the move to Sophia Gardens and the almost complete dropping of the more historic St Helens lead to where we are today, the club alienated many cricket fans in Cardiff and the Valleys with the redevelopment and drive for tests. I don't dispute there was a need for a base and that economically Sophia Gardens made more sense. However, plenty of cricket fans (even from Cardiff) preferred St Helens. The removal of the old covered riverside stand in Sophia Gardens was a particular bugbear-this was were most of the diehards sat. Both Cardiff City Council and WAG are complicit in this. It is not just Swansea let down here, but cricket fans throughout Wales. A re-development for 10-12,000 capacity ground over time would still have allowed it to be a ODI venue and be more viable as a home ground that was welcoming and enjoyable (Sophia Gardens was when owned by Cardiff Athletic Club). As it is, it was good to get test cricket into Wales, but not at the cost of almost killing the first class game.
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 15:08 - Aug 30 with 6107 viewsleighton1318

FInancially - I’ve read that we tied up so much in the stadium redevelopment that the budget for playing staff is weak. So no talismanic overseas player like Waqar or Viv Richards who really could lift the others, but instead worthies like Hogan, and Saffas who just want out of their own country.

Batting - whenever we are weak, through my time following Glamorgan, it seems to be that is the batsmen not making enough runs who are the problem - you look at the averages af the end of the season and we have few heavy scorers. We need better coaching for the batters and better wickets. It doesn’t help them develop if they are playing on a green top in a wet Welsh spring or autumn.

Coaching - I have lost count of the number off young talents who have failed to really come through since the championship season. Evans, Law, Hughes, Rees, Cherry and so many others before Donald who come in and average 20-something. We must be doing something wrong.

It can’t just be temperament with the youngsters, can it? County players are pretty well paid nowadays- do they lose the will to improve?

Finally - linked to coaching - is it that the big £££ is in one day cricket and so the coaching focuses only on this, and not how to build a long innings?

It’s a depressing picture!
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 15:24 - Aug 30 with 6090 viewsLoyal

Fckd about too much with the make up of competitions and trophys ,bit like rugby.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 20:08 - Aug 30 with 6029 viewsJack59

I've just read through a number of good posts on here relating to the ruination of first class cricket in Wales. All have made valid contributions.

For me, far too much effort and capital has gone into making Cardiff a Test venue. That situation came about because certain idiots were so desperate to get a test match in Cardiff, that they were prepared to bid far more than they could afford.
Subsequently, Glamorgan CCC had to get over £1 million from Cardiff Council to bail them out of trouble.
I'm amazed the ratepayers of Cardiff allowed all this to happen with barely a whimper,
But it all boils down to them up the road willing to do anything to increase their status, they really don't care about anything else, including the future of Glamorgan CCC.

I have some fantastic memories of cricket at St Helens, especially watching the tourist matches against Australia and West Indies in the 1960's

Glamorgan are no longer of any interest to me, I just see them as Cardiff Cricket Club. But I do hope that in the future we will at least see a Swansea or West Wales team compete in a national 20/20 league, with St Helens as the main venue.
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 21:34 - Aug 30 with 5983 viewsclloy2

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 10:42 - Aug 29 by felixstowe_jack

Sadly Glamorgan are only interested in hosting international cricket. They lost the support of their members and the paying public years ago. They get more income from one game in Swansea than three championship games in Cardiff.

That's cos Glamorgan never had a any real fan base in SE Wales , its all largely based down West. When the money men decided to take Glamorgan to Cardiff, that's when the rot started . The only thing Glamorgan/Cardiff cricket club are interested in is how many test matches can they bring to the Swalec stadium. County cricket results is of no interest to them. Shame on Glamorgan for taking county cricket away from its historical and loyal fanbase.
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 08:05 - Aug 31 with 5922 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 15:17 - Aug 26 by dickythorpe

Which is a massive shame.

Everything the "capitol" touches turns to sh*t

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 09:25 - Aug 31 with 5894 viewsProfessor

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 21:34 - Aug 30 by clloy2

That's cos Glamorgan never had a any real fan base in SE Wales , its all largely based down West. When the money men decided to take Glamorgan to Cardiff, that's when the rot started . The only thing Glamorgan/Cardiff cricket club are interested in is how many test matches can they bring to the Swalec stadium. County cricket results is of no interest to them. Shame on Glamorgan for taking county cricket away from its historical and loyal fanbase.

That is not entirely true. Much of South Wales has a large cricketing fan base. Whilst St Helens has a lot of history and Sophia Gardens was only used since the late 1960s, there are plenty of supporters in Cardiff and the valleys. Players have come from all over South Wales too. Remember that along with Rhos-on-sea - Abergavenny, Merthyr, Ebbw Vale, Neath, Llanelli and Pontypridd all hosted games in the 80s and 90s. Many were Sunday League but all were packed. It is not just Glamorgan. Most counties have ditched ‘out ground’ games beyond one or two to centralise income after ground development
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 09:32 - Aug 31 with 5883 viewsDaggyjack

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 19:07 - Aug 26 by oldcob

Well he looked a miserable so and so when I saw him at Sophia Gardens recently.
He's obviously not up to much as coach and the team, who were getting hammered by Northants when I saw them, were laughing and joking in the field.
They didn't come across as very professional to me and that starts with the coaching team.
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 16:42 - Aug 31 with 5797 viewssquarebear

It’s always with a heavy heart that I check the cricket scores to see how Glamorgan are doing. They’re invariably getting a beating from <whoever>.

Is there a fundamental problem of no talent coming through or is it that they’ve no cash so only ever recruit losers?

There was talk of a young generation of talented batters about to emerge but generally these guys are getting out for sub-20 scores.
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 19:09 - Sep 3 with 5627 viewsAl_Bundy

Their squad is set up for T20cricket... soon to be 100 ball cricket
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 19:18 - Sep 3 with 5621 viewsCountyJim

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 09:25 - Aug 31 by Professor

That is not entirely true. Much of South Wales has a large cricketing fan base. Whilst St Helens has a lot of history and Sophia Gardens was only used since the late 1960s, there are plenty of supporters in Cardiff and the valleys. Players have come from all over South Wales too. Remember that along with Rhos-on-sea - Abergavenny, Merthyr, Ebbw Vale, Neath, Llanelli and Pontypridd all hosted games in the 80s and 90s. Many were Sunday League but all were packed. It is not just Glamorgan. Most counties have ditched ‘out ground’ games beyond one or two to centralise income after ground development

At last someone talking sence all Counties have one base these days

And as I have said before the most successful County Yorkshire original base was in Bradford but the people of Yorkshire didn't turn their backs on them
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 19:53 - Sep 3 with 5610 viewsJack59

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 19:18 - Sep 3 by CountyJim

At last someone talking sence all Counties have one base these days

And as I have said before the most successful County Yorkshire original base was in Bradford but the people of Yorkshire didn't turn their backs on them

I remember going to county championship and tourist matches at both Sophia Gardens, and St Helens in the sixties and early seventies. The attendances and atmosphere, at like for like games, was always superior at St Helens.

It is true that a new fan base has been growing in Cardiff particularly over the last 10 years or so.
The new demographic for this increase appears to be huge foam handed, 4 and 6 card waving, 18 to 30 year old dancing fancy dressers.
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 19:19 - Sep 4 with 5513 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 19:53 - Sep 3 by Jack59

I remember going to county championship and tourist matches at both Sophia Gardens, and St Helens in the sixties and early seventies. The attendances and atmosphere, at like for like games, was always superior at St Helens.

It is true that a new fan base has been growing in Cardiff particularly over the last 10 years or so.
The new demographic for this increase appears to be huge foam handed, 4 and 6 card waving, 18 to 30 year old dancing fancy dressers.

It's got a very synthetic feel to it. It's just a case of "me" "me" "me" for the Cardiff contingent . They shouldn't be holding test matches there - it's just a short sighted money spinning scheme with no long term gains for county cricket here at all.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 09:44 - Sep 5 with 5440 viewsWarwickHunt

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 19:53 - Sep 3 by Jack59

The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 10:06 - Sep 21 with 5063 viewsdickythorpe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45581431

Hogan's last paragraph, time for those in charge to wake up and dead wood to ship out!
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 11:01 - Sep 21 with 5042 viewsWarwickHunt

Four of my team have/had their lads coming through the junior set up at Surrey - the standard of coaching is incredible. One was in the U-19s with Pope and the Currans - had the talent but not the dedication. Very handy when he plays for us though

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/20/surrey-cricket-production-line-cou
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 11:11]
The future of Glamorgan cricket club. on 11:53 - Sep 21 with 5016 viewsCaptain_Sham

I have a bat signed by Majid Khan at home, bought from Edwards sports. Is that shop still there?

Its just a ride.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024