Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today 09:03 - Aug 31 with 2091 viewsdna

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45341168
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 09:30 - Aug 31 with 2077 viewscontroversial_jack

I was there
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 09:58 - Aug 31 with 2048 viewsjackal

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 09:30 - Aug 31 by controversial_jack

I was there

I'm not a huge cricket fan but it must have been brilliant to witness history like that.
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 10:04 - Aug 31 with 2043 viewsWarwickHunt

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 09:30 - Aug 31 by controversial_jack

I was there

Me too. About twenty yards from where Roger Davies caught the fifth ball.
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 10:05 - Aug 31 with 2042 viewsdickythorpe

I'm reading malcolm Nash's book. An enjoyable read and how Glammy need the quality of players mentioned in that book.
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 10:27 - Aug 31 with 2026 viewstheloneranger

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/380411/scorecard/312039/glamorgan-vs-nottingh

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 10:36 - Aug 31 with 2021 viewspikeypaul

And to add to Nash's misery Sobers came out and clean bowled him.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 11:03 - Aug 31 with 2006 viewsWarwickHunt

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 10:36 - Aug 31 by pikeypaul

And to add to Nash's misery Sobers came out and clean bowled him.

Malcolm was always a bit "shit or bust" at the crease.

Hell of a bowler at St. Helen's when the conditions were right though.
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 11:37 - Aug 31 with 1991 viewsleighton1318

I was there too! On the big bank not far from the scoreboard.

We only went because my dad was trying to get a game of tennis at Ashleigh Road and couldn’t get on.

Really fortunately, I bumped into the great man here in Edinburgh about ten years ago when he was doing an event with Cricket Scotland. He looked pretty well considering how much he’s meant to drink.
Login to get fewer ads

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 11:40 - Aug 31 with 1989 viewsProfessor

Poor Malcom Nash-great servant. Still playing when I started watching Glammy in the 80s.

Going back to the other thread-what a great atmospheric bowl for cricket a development of St Helens could have been. With the Ospreys at the Liberty a new home could have been found for the all-Whites and a truly wonderful ground built. What an amphitheatre for one-day and T20. A horseshoe stand where the rugby field is and facilities built behind that. Could have stuck a media centre next to the bar and improved the town side. Would also be great for tests against the likes of SL and Bangladesh.
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 12:17 - Aug 31 with 1973 viewsbonymine

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 11:40 - Aug 31 by Professor

Poor Malcom Nash-great servant. Still playing when I started watching Glammy in the 80s.

Going back to the other thread-what a great atmospheric bowl for cricket a development of St Helens could have been. With the Ospreys at the Liberty a new home could have been found for the all-Whites and a truly wonderful ground built. What an amphitheatre for one-day and T20. A horseshoe stand where the rugby field is and facilities built behind that. Could have stuck a media centre next to the bar and improved the town side. Would also be great for tests against the likes of SL and Bangladesh.

In our dreams eh ....sadly ‘Cardiff CCC’s roots are now firmly entrenched at Sofia Gardens leaving us with ever more far and distant memories of the great atmospheres and occasions at St Helens in years gone by.

Sad.

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 12:54 - Aug 31 with 1958 viewskarnataka

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 11:40 - Aug 31 by Professor

Always felt sorry for Malcolm Nash, whatever else he achieved in the game, he'll only be remembered for the 6 x 6s.
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 13:18 - Aug 31 with 1939 viewsoldcob

My brother-in-law and I were there too. I would have sooner Peter Davis had caught him though. Mal Nash was a very good all rounder. Lost count of the times he got an lbw decision in the first over, especially at St. Helens. Far from quick, but he couldn't half swing the new ball. Met him some years later in my role as pub quiz master, he was on the committee of the NSPCC and he came to be presented with some money we had raised. Genuinely nice guy.
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 13:52 - Aug 31 with 1902 viewsProfessor

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 12:17 - Aug 31 by bonymine

In our dreams eh ....sadly ‘Cardiff CCC’s roots are now firmly entrenched at Sofia Gardens leaving us with ever more far and distant memories of the great atmospheres and occasions at St Helens in years gone by.

Sad.

I think Sophia Gardens was seen as the easier and more economically viable option. It lacks atmosphere and has a horrible pitch being next to the Taff. I don't buy (as on the other thread) that all the support was in Swansea, but St Helens would have led to a better ground for the county's needs and for the standard (i.e. not corporate) punter. A number of Cardiffian Glamorgan loyal fans I knew in the 90s always preferred St Helens and the game up in Abergavenny to Cardiff and certainly to the souless place it is now
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 14:01 - Aug 31 with 1898 viewsJackfath

This thread has got me thinking, what's harder?

147 in snooker, 9 dart finish or 6 sixes in an over?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 14:29 - Aug 31 with 1885 viewsBrynCartwright

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 14:01 - Aug 31 by Jackfath

This thread has got me thinking, what's harder?

147 in snooker, 9 dart finish or 6 sixes in an over?

I am a bit biased towards snooker, but feel to get a 147, 37 supremely accurate pots, with associated positioning, have to be made. So there you are- 147

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 21:22 - Aug 31 with 1798 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 14:29 - Aug 31 by BrynCartwright

I am a bit biased towards snooker, but feel to get a 147, 37 supremely accurate pots, with associated positioning, have to be made. So there you are- 147

Given that six sixes has only been achieved twice in over 100 years of first class cricket iteam is clearly harder than 147 which most top snooker players havery done more than once.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 21:36 - Aug 31 with 1789 viewsbonymine

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 12:54 - Aug 31 by karnataka

Always felt sorry for Malcolm Nash, whatever else he achieved in the game, he'll only be remembered for the 6 x 6s.

I was at a recent Charity match when Malcolm was there signing his books.

A couple of pissed up tw@ts came over to him and one said ‘my mate here said that as you conceded 6x6 off one over then you can’t be any good .......

Malcolm hit straight back by stating ‘Ask your mate who holds the record for the quickest 100 in Benson & Hedges Cricket ? .........Cue a stunned silence as Malcom said ......ME !!!!

Quality comeback fair play he must have rehearsed that a few times over the years ....👍😂

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 22:13 - Aug 31 with 1782 viewsOptimisticJack

I was there also.
In fact of some old footage of 100 Great Sporting Moments I was the young lad walking around the boundary eating an ice cream in one of the sixes.
Gary Sobers was the guest speaker at Gowerton Cricket Club about 10 years back. He remarked on how many people had approached him in Swansea saying they were there that day. He went on to joke and say there must have been thousands there that day! In reality there was a gate of a thousand or two.
It was the final day of a County Championship game that seemed to be going nowhere. In fact I seem to remember the Swans were home that afternoon.

Optimisticjack

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 22:16 - Aug 31 with 1779 viewsexiledclaseboy

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 22:13 - Aug 31 by OptimisticJack

I was there also.
In fact of some old footage of 100 Great Sporting Moments I was the young lad walking around the boundary eating an ice cream in one of the sixes.
Gary Sobers was the guest speaker at Gowerton Cricket Club about 10 years back. He remarked on how many people had approached him in Swansea saying they were there that day. He went on to joke and say there must have been thousands there that day! In reality there was a gate of a thousand or two.
It was the final day of a County Championship game that seemed to be going nowhere. In fact I seem to remember the Swans were home that afternoon.

Swans drew 0-0 with Workington Town that afternoon. Was talking about that with a work mate earlier in who has a knack for remembering these things.

Poll: Tory leader

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 22:20 - Aug 31 with 1775 viewstheloneranger

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 22:13 - Aug 31 by OptimisticJack

I was there also.

It was the first day of the match??

Swans drew with Workington 0-0

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 09:38 - Sep 1 with 1722 viewsWarwickHunt

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 21:36 - Aug 31 by bonymine

I was at a recent Charity match when Malcolm was there signing his books.

A couple of pissed up tw@ts came over to him and one said ‘my mate here said that as you conceded 6x6 off one over then you can’t be any good .......

Malcolm hit straight back by stating ‘Ask your mate who holds the record for the quickest 100 in Benson & Hedges Cricket ? .........Cue a stunned silence as Malcom said ......ME !!!!

Quality comeback fair play he must have rehearsed that a few times over the years ....👍😂

Very close to an England cap several times. Hugely underrated bowler and a big-hitting tailender.

Not many in the beer tent when he was batting - especially if Tony Cordle was at the other end...
Happy days.
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 10:19 - Sep 1 with 1703 viewsdickythorpe

Wasn't Trevor Ford bizarrely fielding for Glammy that day?
Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 10:37 - Sep 1 with 1692 viewsWarwickHunt

Sobers 6 Sixes - 50 years ago today on 10:19 - Sep 1 by dickythorpe

Wasn't Trevor Ford bizarrely fielding for Glammy that day?

There as a spectator and came on briefly as a sub for Ossie Wheatley after Tony Lewis found him some kit.

Played cricket for Wales at schoolboy level.

Not someone you’d want to sledge.🤫
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 10:40]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024