Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Nice Touch from the Club 17:24 - Sep 5 with 11196 viewsArizlan2

Take note Jason Levien, this is what football is all about, making people happy, not your bank manager!

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/teachers-swans-surprise
A Nice Touch from the Club on 07:45 - Sep 7 with 876 views34dfgdf54

A Nice Touch from the Club on 22:39 - Sep 6 by E20Jack

None, including me.

However we are discussing what is best for the club are we not? So now we are sold, if we are being run responsibly and not being run into the ground then that is a considerable win for us.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 22:41]

Go on then,

What is best for the club at this current time, enlighten me?
A Nice Touch from the Club on 08:17 - Sep 7 with 854 viewsE20Jack

A Nice Touch from the Club on 07:45 - Sep 7 by 34dfgdf54

Go on then,

What is best for the club at this current time, enlighten me?

In terms of what? That is a very broad question.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

A Nice Touch from the Club on 08:27 - Sep 7 with 844 views34dfgdf54

A Nice Touch from the Club on 08:17 - Sep 7 by E20Jack

In terms of what? That is a very broad question.

What should the Trust do.

How should the lifelong supporters act? As at present didn’t you say the fans are bringing disharmony to the club, or could do.
A Nice Touch from the Club on 08:38 - Sep 7 with 838 viewsE20Jack

A Nice Touch from the Club on 08:27 - Sep 7 by 34dfgdf54

What should the Trust do.

How should the lifelong supporters act? As at present didn’t you say the fans are bringing disharmony to the club, or could do.

Well the Trust should have been seeking buyers for their shares as soon as it became clear that the previous board wanted out and having an open dialogue with them clearly stating that they want in on any deal. Failing that they needed to take court action immediately to try and get top whack for their shares. It was the only real way the Trust could ever safeguard the club forever yet it was almost p*ssed away, thankfully and remarkably the Americans pulled out. So in terms of what they should do now - absolutely seek to get that money, I am not an expert in that field but can’t imagine waiting until relegation to do it will have helped, maybe it doesn’t matter but I don’t think it looks too clever.

In terms of life long supporters, well there aren’t many of them around. I am by no means old and remember being in the Vetch regularly with 3000 others and at away trips sometimes with less than a few dozen, I refuse to believe we had a baby boom in Swansea and the new 17,000 fans just weren’t born. But those that do call themselves fans need to stop looking for anything and everything to be negative about when the club could be riding a resurgent wave of positive energy. If there are grounds for valid and genuine complaint then feel free. But all this making up of stories regarding fraud and thieving and turning every single positive into a negative toward certain aspects of the club is not helpful.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 8:44]

A Nice Touch from the Club on 09:30 - Sep 7 with 809 views34dfgdf54

A Nice Touch from the Club on 08:38 - Sep 7 by E20Jack

Well the Trust should have been seeking buyers for their shares as soon as it became clear that the previous board wanted out and having an open dialogue with them clearly stating that they want in on any deal. Failing that they needed to take court action immediately to try and get top whack for their shares. It was the only real way the Trust could ever safeguard the club forever yet it was almost p*ssed away, thankfully and remarkably the Americans pulled out. So in terms of what they should do now - absolutely seek to get that money, I am not an expert in that field but can’t imagine waiting until relegation to do it will have helped, maybe it doesn’t matter but I don’t think it looks too clever.

In terms of life long supporters, well there aren’t many of them around. I am by no means old and remember being in the Vetch regularly with 3000 others and at away trips sometimes with less than a few dozen, I refuse to believe we had a baby boom in Swansea and the new 17,000 fans just weren’t born. But those that do call themselves fans need to stop looking for anything and everything to be negative about when the club could be riding a resurgent wave of positive energy. If there are grounds for valid and genuine complaint then feel free. But all this making up of stories regarding fraud and thieving and turning every single positive into a negative toward certain aspects of the club is not helpful.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 8:44]

Decent post.

Isn't there grounds for valid and genuine complaints though? In terms of the playing side, you said yourself on deadline day that if we didn't bring in loanees then there would be genuine cause for complaint. Please don't say CCV as we are still short elsewhere. So one loan doesn't cut it.

Off the field, one example from recently, Dyer/Narsingh/Routledge on a combined £135k, in the Championship! That alone highlights the horrendous mismanagent of the club over the last few years.

The Trust, past mistakes or not, which I agree there has been plenty, would't be making things public if there wasn't genuine cause for concern and they only have the clubs best interest at heart.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 9:31]
A Nice Touch from the Club on 10:52 - Sep 7 with 783 viewsE20Jack

A Nice Touch from the Club on 09:30 - Sep 7 by 34dfgdf54

Decent post.

Isn't there grounds for valid and genuine complaints though? In terms of the playing side, you said yourself on deadline day that if we didn't bring in loanees then there would be genuine cause for complaint. Please don't say CCV as we are still short elsewhere. So one loan doesn't cut it.

Off the field, one example from recently, Dyer/Narsingh/Routledge on a combined £135k, in the Championship! That alone highlights the horrendous mismanagent of the club over the last few years.

The Trust, past mistakes or not, which I agree there has been plenty, would't be making things public if there wasn't genuine cause for concern and they only have the clubs best interest at heart.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 9:31]

Maybe for some. Personally I did not expect so many U-23’s to step up the way they did and provide another layer of depth. We got a promising CB in on loan and it has since emerged just how roughly the financial situation was/is. If people are annoyed by not getting players in then fine, but do it with a sense of realism and understand that what they are annoyed about may well just be the wrong thing for the club and it’s overall health.

As for mismanagement, I just don’t accept it. Routledge and Dyer have been almost ever presents in the PL, too half finishes a major trophy win and European knockout stage level. Sure mentioned as potential England material, I don’t think 40k a week represents mismanagement. Narsingh on 50k seems over the odds I grant you, but what club doesn’t have overpaid players? That is the upshot of 7 seasons of success. If we had never got into a position to offer Narsingh 50k a week we simply would not have had the success we all enjoyed and will remember forever. None of us would take it back, not one of us.

The jury is out on this new Trust. Do I think the club was at heart with the old Trust? No, not always. I have grounds for concern over this rejuvenated board too and think they are clouded by meaningless agendas.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 10:54]

A Nice Touch from the Club on 11:28 - Sep 7 with 763 views34dfgdf54

A Nice Touch from the Club on 10:52 - Sep 7 by E20Jack

Maybe for some. Personally I did not expect so many U-23’s to step up the way they did and provide another layer of depth. We got a promising CB in on loan and it has since emerged just how roughly the financial situation was/is. If people are annoyed by not getting players in then fine, but do it with a sense of realism and understand that what they are annoyed about may well just be the wrong thing for the club and it’s overall health.

As for mismanagement, I just don’t accept it. Routledge and Dyer have been almost ever presents in the PL, too half finishes a major trophy win and European knockout stage level. Sure mentioned as potential England material, I don’t think 40k a week represents mismanagement. Narsingh on 50k seems over the odds I grant you, but what club doesn’t have overpaid players? That is the upshot of 7 seasons of success. If we had never got into a position to offer Narsingh 50k a week we simply would not have had the success we all enjoyed and will remember forever. None of us would take it back, not one of us.

The jury is out on this new Trust. Do I think the club was at heart with the old Trust? No, not always. I have grounds for concern over this rejuvenated board too and think they are clouded by meaningless agendas.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 10:54]

I love Dyer, so please don't think I'm slagging him off here, but Dyer has been pretty much a bit part player for the last three seasons has he not? To then, on top of that, be offered a £40k per week contract when he was a bit part squad player is absolutely mismanagement, same with Routs, and that also highlights how poor the scouting team operated under Jenkins.

It also highlights how bad the scouting was, that we are forced into paying panic signings such as Narsingh anywhere close to £50k per week. As Res says, and rightly so, it's never easy, I can completely accept that, but we should never be in the mess we seem to be in now, no matter how long you're in the Premier League.

I don't know alot about the guys in the Trust, but I'm glad Phil's back, and from talking to people, one of which is a complete legend at this club, he can vouch that Phil wouldn't let meaningless agendas cloud his judgement, he only wants what is best and people should stay off his back.
A Nice Touch from the Club on 11:47 - Sep 7 with 757 viewsE20Jack

A Nice Touch from the Club on 11:28 - Sep 7 by 34dfgdf54

I love Dyer, so please don't think I'm slagging him off here, but Dyer has been pretty much a bit part player for the last three seasons has he not? To then, on top of that, be offered a £40k per week contract when he was a bit part squad player is absolutely mismanagement, same with Routs, and that also highlights how poor the scouting team operated under Jenkins.

It also highlights how bad the scouting was, that we are forced into paying panic signings such as Narsingh anywhere close to £50k per week. As Res says, and rightly so, it's never easy, I can completely accept that, but we should never be in the mess we seem to be in now, no matter how long you're in the Premier League.

I don't know alot about the guys in the Trust, but I'm glad Phil's back, and from talking to people, one of which is a complete legend at this club, he can vouch that Phil wouldn't let meaningless agendas cloud his judgement, he only wants what is best and people should stay off his back.

Then we disagree again. If we were faced with the situation of paying Dyer 40k and signing him on or offering him 25k and losing him for nothing then I would keep him every time. That 15k a week difference means around 750k, reckon you could replace Dyer for 750k including signing on fee for someone willing to accept low end PL wages? And only then it would be the same scenario financially, just a different name.

And again we disagree. We will always be in this position should we ever have a similar period of success again. The irony is we can only dream of being in this situation again after having another’s 7 years of success that we just had. Anyone who says different is a liar.

I am not on Phil’s back at all. I’m behind him if he has changed his views and approach. He was a key member in almost destroying our chance to safeguard our club and told him at the time. I also acknowledged that there was a clear feeling of revenge when I was asked to join that twitter thing he led and then left, my suspicions proved correct and it was all about revenge and not the good of the club. So that view has to change before anything positive can be achieved, whether it has or not remains to be seen.

Login to get fewer ads

A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:06 - Sep 7 with 751 viewsjasper_T

We got McKay for £500k.
A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:09 - Sep 7 with 748 viewsDarran

A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:06 - Sep 7 by jasper_T

We got McKay for £500k.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:11 - Sep 7 with 747 viewsE20Jack

A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:06 - Sep 7 by jasper_T

We got McKay for £500k.

Indeed, someone never been considered good enough to be a PL player and has had how many good games for us? One? Signing a player and being a better player are not the same thing.

We signed Aiden Newhouse too, doesn’t mean he is a better replacement than Wilfried Bony.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 12:13]

A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:13 - Sep 7 with 743 viewsjasper_T

How many good games has Dyer had for us recently?
A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:15 - Sep 7 with 741 viewsE20Jack

A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:13 - Sep 7 by jasper_T

How many good games has Dyer had for us recently?

He hasn’t played due to his bonus payments but more than McKay would have if selected no doubt. A player a cut above at this level.

A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:27 - Sep 7 with 735 views34dfgdf54

A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:15 - Sep 7 by E20Jack

He hasn’t played due to his bonus payments but more than McKay would have if selected no doubt. A player a cut above at this level.

Mismanagement.

Why is his bonuses higher than what we can pay in the Championship? Relegation is always a strong possibility, like you correctly always point out.

Also a player cut above at this level, who no one fancies enough to take on a loan deal.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 12:30]
A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:36 - Sep 7 with 729 viewsE20Jack

A Nice Touch from the Club on 12:27 - Sep 7 by 34dfgdf54

Mismanagement.

Why is his bonuses higher than what we can pay in the Championship? Relegation is always a strong possibility, like you correctly always point out.

Also a player cut above at this level, who no one fancies enough to take on a loan deal.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2018 12:30]

It’s not mismanagement. It is the effect of success. In order to sign the likes of Michu we couldn’t insert such like as relegation cuts, he simply would not accept them. If he doesn’t have them then others won’t want them. The longer you stay at that level the more players have these clauses filtered out, just the natural cause of it. Again, we stay there for 7 years again and on relegation we will probably have another host of PL players that we cannot afford to play... and let’s hope we do because it means we would have been superbly successful again.

Dyer has injury problems and a 40k a week salary he obviously doesn’t want to give up. Come on now, you have been relatively sensible up to now.

A Nice Touch from the Club on 14:00 - Sep 7 with 705 viewsjack247

A Nice Touch from the Club on 22:13 - Sep 6 by E20Jack

No I didn’t, I referred to the people who made the decision based on the health of the club. You are guessing that is just two people. The club did decide to not sign him. Just like the club signed Wilfried Bony. Stop being pedantic to make a really pointless point.

Absolutely nothing obtuse about it absolutely no need to be flustered. You either aren’t grasping what we are saying here or are getting hot under the collar as you yet again try and debate a point against me after realising you are on very weak ground.

The point I made was that if disappointing Potter meant it was good for the health of the club I hope he is continually disappointed. You could not come back to that so decided to focus on what you deem “the club” is until you settled in it being everyone - the point isn’t even a point.

Next time you say “we scored a great goal” I will say “you didn’t score, you aren’t the club”. Then accuse you of being flustered when you point out what a moron I’m being. But of course my point is always far too strong and able to stand on its own without resorting to such rubbish.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2018 22:21]

Kaplan and Levein made the decision to disappoint Potter on deadline day, though you are right, there may well have been others involved. I’d say it’s a fairly educated guess who made the final call based on their own words from the interview the other day. Would you disagree?

I’m not sure where you’re going with that example. I don’t consider myself part of the club, but do consider the fan base in general to be. I’m not sure if you were aiming to illustrate the club is a collective and more than just the majority owners, but if so, we agree.

In terms of disappointing Potter, I absolutely hope we don’t continue to disappoint him. One thing we will probably all agree on is that he has been a resounding success so far. Some of their detractors may be more churlish, but I will happily admit he is a massive tick in the box for Jenkins and the Americans. He obviously came here fully prepared for a cost cutting exercise. I’m surmising here, but it seems pretty apparent from Billy Reid’s press conference and the Americans interview, that it was a bit more dramatic than expected and he thought he would have a few quid from the sales to strengthen the team. There is going to be interest in him at some point, I just hope we don’t lose him for the sake of not chucking him the odd bone here and there. If he keeps us up, let alone challenges for promotion, he will be worth a lot more than £6.5m to us.
A Nice Touch from the Club on 14:02 - Sep 7 with 703 viewsjasper_T

"If he keeps us up" good lord the negativity round here is insane.
A Nice Touch from the Club on 14:19 - Sep 7 with 696 viewsjack247

A Nice Touch from the Club on 14:02 - Sep 7 by jasper_T

"If he keeps us up" good lord the negativity round here is insane.

What do you think his remit was when he joined?
A Nice Touch from the Club on 14:45 - Sep 7 with 684 viewsjasper_T

A Nice Touch from the Club on 14:19 - Sep 7 by jack247

What do you think his remit was when he joined?

Rebuild the football club and get promoted within three years.
A Nice Touch from the Club on 15:03 - Sep 7 with 678 viewsjack247

A Nice Touch from the Club on 14:45 - Sep 7 by jasper_T

Rebuild the football club and get promoted within three years.

It’s a nice aspiration. What do you think his mandate for this season would have been?
A Nice Touch from the Club on 15:07 - Sep 7 with 677 viewsDrizzy

A Nice Touch from the Club on 15:03 - Sep 7 by jack247

It’s a nice aspiration. What do you think his mandate for this season would have been?

Have you seen the state of the league we're in? Half the teams are utter gash and devoid of any quality. Our youth players who've barely played senior football don't look out of place in this league. If his mandate was anything other than push for the playoffs I'd be disappointed.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

A Nice Touch from the Club on 15:13 - Sep 7 with 665 viewsjack247

A Nice Touch from the Club on 15:07 - Sep 7 by Drizzy

Have you seen the state of the league we're in? Half the teams are utter gash and devoid of any quality. Our youth players who've barely played senior football don't look out of place in this league. If his mandate was anything other than push for the playoffs I'd be disappointed.

Yeah totally. We probably wouldn’t have had to spend much of the fire sale money to have a real good crack at it.

As it is, we’ve got one fit striker and he’s too injured to play for Scotland, two centre backs with just Harries as back up and way too many wingers. The run we are on now is great, but it’s a hell of an ask to maintain that with a depleted squad.
A Nice Touch from the Club on 16:13 - Sep 7 with 654 viewsomarjack

A Nice Touch from the Club on 15:13 - Sep 7 by jack247

Yeah totally. We probably wouldn’t have had to spend much of the fire sale money to have a real good crack at it.

As it is, we’ve got one fit striker and he’s too injured to play for Scotland, two centre backs with just Harries as back up and way too many wingers. The run we are on now is great, but it’s a hell of an ask to maintain that with a depleted squad.

How shameful though..there are still few free agents we can look at..but obviously won't.

Nottingham Forest just signed Claudio Yacob for example..was decent at WBA..I thought he wouldn't want to play championship football because he didn't renew with WBA..but here he is now.

Karim Ansarifard had a great season in Greece..Forest are also in for him. But never mind. We're still waiting on Baker-Richardson and Biabi to suddenly turn into pro players..

It's really useless to even hope for mediocre players anymore. This squad is so thin, with 3-4 constantly injured players (who happen to be our best players) and few names that can hardly cut it in the league like Fulton and Grimes..how shameful. Potter is a superb manager..but he's not a miracle worker.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

A Nice Touch from the Club on 20:56 - Sep 7 with 635 viewsE20Jack

A Nice Touch from the Club on 14:00 - Sep 7 by jack247

Kaplan and Levein made the decision to disappoint Potter on deadline day, though you are right, there may well have been others involved. I’d say it’s a fairly educated guess who made the final call based on their own words from the interview the other day. Would you disagree?

I’m not sure where you’re going with that example. I don’t consider myself part of the club, but do consider the fan base in general to be. I’m not sure if you were aiming to illustrate the club is a collective and more than just the majority owners, but if so, we agree.

In terms of disappointing Potter, I absolutely hope we don’t continue to disappoint him. One thing we will probably all agree on is that he has been a resounding success so far. Some of their detractors may be more churlish, but I will happily admit he is a massive tick in the box for Jenkins and the Americans. He obviously came here fully prepared for a cost cutting exercise. I’m surmising here, but it seems pretty apparent from Billy Reid’s press conference and the Americans interview, that it was a bit more dramatic than expected and he thought he would have a few quid from the sales to strengthen the team. There is going to be interest in him at some point, I just hope we don’t lose him for the sake of not chucking him the odd bone here and there. If he keeps us up, let alone challenges for promotion, he will be worth a lot more than £6.5m to us.

They did not make a decision to disappoint him, stop being so silly. They made a decision, as well as other key club figures not to sign a player due to it not being good for the club, the upshot of that left Potter disappointed as he wanted him. Tough titties, as I said, let’s hope we continue to disappoint him if the reason for that is protecting the health of the club.

I am utterly amazed you have the opposite view and would prefer to plunge us into financial danger zone just to give him every single player he wants. Ludicrous. Wasn’t Carvalhal and Clement also resounding successes at similar points in their Swansea career - yet giving them the players they wanted at the cost of the club is now being slated - yes?

A Nice Touch from the Club on 21:22 - Sep 7 with 628 viewsjack247

A Nice Touch from the Club on 20:56 - Sep 7 by E20Jack

They did not make a decision to disappoint him, stop being so silly. They made a decision, as well as other key club figures not to sign a player due to it not being good for the club, the upshot of that left Potter disappointed as he wanted him. Tough titties, as I said, let’s hope we continue to disappoint him if the reason for that is protecting the health of the club.

I am utterly amazed you have the opposite view and would prefer to plunge us into financial danger zone just to give him every single player he wants. Ludicrous. Wasn’t Carvalhal and Clement also resounding successes at similar points in their Swansea career - yet giving them the players they wanted at the cost of the club is now being slated - yes?

And you accuse me of pedantry. Ok, they didn’t decide to disappoint him just for the hell of it. They decided not to sign a player he really wanted, despite stripping the first team squad heavily and raising around £40m. Yes of course we had to cut costs and of course we were never going to spend as much as we brought in, but giving the manager a bit of help now and then is all people really want.

I didn’t say ‘every single player he wants’ you just made that up. Woods is just an example of a player he was very keen to sign. I agree it would be stupid to give him a blank chequebook.

In very simple terms, ie just transfer fees, signing Woods would have been roughly the same as not being able to shift Clucas. Had he been injured and not gone to Stoke, would that have plunged us into financial danger zone?

Did we give Carvahal and Clement the players they wanted? Most of the slating is around signing Bony and Ayew for big money on fat wages. It may not be right, but common perception is they were more Jenkins signings than anyone else’s.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024