Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut 21:16 - Sep 7 with 4344 viewsTummer_from_Texas

They didn't have a name but informally went by The Yardbirds or The New Yardbirds, since they were performing gigs the "real" Yardbirds had already booked.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-make-their-live-debut-september-7-19

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 13:49 - Sep 9 with 817 viewsItchySphincter

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 10:16 - Sep 9 by bermudajack

Odd list for me... I suppose it’s all about popular votes by the masses but...

No Saxon
No Krocus
No Gary Moore
No MSG
No Ian Gillan Band
No Girlschool
No Linkin Park

The lowly positions of
Iron Maiden
Green day
Foo fighters
Rainbow
Marilyn Manson

The inclusion of
Meat loaf
Foreigner
Boston
Sex pistols

Doesn’t represent my top 100 in that order... 🤨

Gumby metal head alert.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 14:24 - Sep 9 with 803 viewsdickythorpe

If certain bands are on that list that shouldn't be then why aren't Wishbone Ash?
50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 14:41 - Sep 9 with 790 viewsJoe_bradshaw

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 14:24 - Sep 9 by dickythorpe

If certain bands are on that list that shouldn't be then why aren't Wishbone Ash?

Argus, Dicky.

One of my favourite albums.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 15:06 - Sep 9 with 782 viewsbermudajack

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 10:42 - Sep 9 by WarwickHunt

The absence of monosodium glutomate is a good thing, Shirley?

Friggin autocorrect 😂😂😂

MSB 👍👍👍

Poll: Priority for new manager?

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 15:39 - Sep 9 with 765 viewszedlep

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 15:06 - Sep 9 by bermudajack

Friggin autocorrect 😂😂😂

MSB 👍👍👍

MSG !!!!😂😂

Zedzdead

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 22:46 - Sep 9 with 726 viewsWarwickHunt

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 15:06 - Sep 9 by bermudajack

Friggin autocorrect 😂😂😂

MSB 👍👍👍

I’m still none the wiser.
50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 23:38 - Sep 9 with 696 viewsItchySphincter

Michael Schenker Group.

More nonsense.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 04:13 - Sep 10 with 656 viewsTummer_from_Texas

50 yrs ago today, arguably the greatest hard rock band in history made its debut on 10:16 - Sep 9 by bermudajack

Odd list for me... I suppose it’s all about popular votes by the masses but...

No Saxon
No Krocus
No Gary Moore
No MSG
No Ian Gillan Band
No Girlschool
No Linkin Park

The lowly positions of
Iron Maiden
Green day
Foo fighters
Rainbow
Marilyn Manson

The inclusion of
Meat loaf
Foreigner
Boston
Sex pistols

Doesn’t represent my top 100 in that order... 🤨

Actually, Bermuda, you might be interested to learn that neither the unwashed masses of the public, nor VH1 employees, nor music industry suits had anything to do with that list.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blog_files/Using_the_100_Greatest_Hard_Rock_Art

Back in 2000, VH1 compiled a list of the “100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock.” Although the exact methodology is unknown, the list was “selected by a panel of rock artists that included Pat Benatar, Def Leppard's Joe Elliott, Ozzy Osbourne, Scott Ian and John Bush of Anthrax, Korn's Dave Silveria, Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler, Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple, Dave Grohl of Nirvana/Foo Fighters, Mike Bordin of Faith No More, Skid Row's Sebastian Bach, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea, Yngwie Malmsteen, Lita Ford, and Geddy Lee of Rush.”

Doesn't say how many more rock stars were "included" in the voting, but that's a fairly qualified group of 16 to be tasked with this, IMO. And they had some difficult decisions to make. For instance, putting Yardbirds/Cream and Lynyrd Skynyrd on one side of the fine line of hard rock, while putting Eric Clapton solo and Allman Bros. on the "not hard rock" side.

Maybe this panel could have used a couple more Brits, but you've got 4 legends and the singer from Def Leppard.

What is interesting (and sad for us in the 21st century) is the feeling I have that, if the same voters (who, surprisingly enough, are all alive still) were re-assembled to vote again, there wouldn't be a whole lot to add to this list that only went back 36 years at the time to 1964 (Kinks, Who).

Who could you for sure say even crack the 100? White Stripes? Audioslave, a supergroup started in 2001 from guys who found fame in the 90's? Maybe System of a Down? Maybe Queens of the Stone Age? Maybe My Chemical Romance? Maybe The Killers? It's so bad now that even bands like Muse and Fall Out Boy are almost considered heavy or punk. Going down that 36-year list, 1964-1981 produced about 55, and 1982-2000 produced about 45. These latest 18 years would only be able to reasonably claim a very small handful to join them.

I'm sure Foo Fighters would make a strong jump from #72 to top 30 or 40, but this list only reminds me how sh!++y the last 18 years has been for hard rock.

And I get the complaining about a group like Yes being on the list; but the debatable issue of whether or not early 70's prog rock is hard rock is the reason they are #94 instead of much higher. They deserve a spot for Chris Squire alone, I say.

The dumbest inclusion to me was Spinal Tap at #75. Great movie, but that isn't even a real f-ing band.

I would remove:
1) Meatloaf (not even close to hard rock)
2) Spinal Tap (not a band)
3) Twisted Sister (a 2 hit wonder that was a joke even by 80's hair metal standards)
4) Lenny Kravitz (just on the other side of the fine line of hard rock)

I would add:
1) Argent
2) The Pretenders (first album was very heavy)
3) The Runaways
4) Triumph
[Post edited 10 Sep 2018 7:32]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024