Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good news for Wales... 02:44 - Sep 11 with 7210 viewsDJack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45477140

Well paid jobs I would have thought.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Good news for Wales... on 12:39 - Sep 12 with 2151 viewsPawelAbbott

Good news for Wales... on 10:05 - Sep 12 by peenemunde

Ffs, we will still have human rights post Brexit.
Absolutely ridiculous to say we won’t.

What human rights will you have? Was it made absolutely clear in the Brexit manifesto?
You have voted for some as yet undetermined human rights that you may or may not agree with.
You just voted to not have a group of nations decide your human rights but rather someone from your country who you don’t know will set them instead.
You have basically declared that you would prefer a conservative Tory toff who has no concept of working class people, such as Jacob Rees Mogg, can now decide your human rights. Rather than the ones you had before. And you support that?
Good news for Wales... on 20:13 - Sep 12 with 2094 viewsbluey_the_blue

Good news for Wales... on 12:39 - Sep 12 by PawelAbbott

What human rights will you have? Was it made absolutely clear in the Brexit manifesto?
You have voted for some as yet undetermined human rights that you may or may not agree with.
You just voted to not have a group of nations decide your human rights but rather someone from your country who you don’t know will set them instead.
You have basically declared that you would prefer a conservative Tory toff who has no concept of working class people, such as Jacob Rees Mogg, can now decide your human rights. Rather than the ones you had before. And you support that?

Maternity leave in the UK, for one thing, was above the minimum proscribed by EU.

The claim rights will magically disappear is yet another remain lie.
Good news for Wales... on 20:27 - Sep 12 with 2087 viewspeenemunde

Good news for Wales... on 12:39 - Sep 12 by PawelAbbott

Ok you crack on with your paranoia 🤣
Good news for Wales... on 20:29 - Sep 12 with 2082 viewspeenemunde

Good news for Wales... on 20:13 - Sep 12 by bluey_the_blue

Maternity leave in the UK, for one thing, was above the minimum proscribed by EU.

Of course it’s a lie.
I personally can’t believe anyone is thick enough to fall for it.
Good news for Wales... on 22:27 - Sep 12 with 2062 viewsthe_oracle

Good news for Wales... on 07:01 - Sep 11 by peenemunde

Unpopular ? What planet do you live on.
Wales voted to leave, so did Swansea.

Swansea West voted remain.
Good news for Wales... on 22:30 - Sep 12 with 2057 viewsPawelAbbott

Good news for Wales... on 20:13 - Sep 12 by bluey_the_blue

THere is a mass of lies on both sides.
The only thing that’s the referendum has shown is that the vast majority of politicians are self serving, lying b@stards
Good news for Wales... on 01:40 - Sep 13 with 2035 viewsDJack

Good news for Wales... on 11:01 - Sep 12 by BrynCartwright

It is indeed brilliant news that such a high profile company as AM is willing to invest even more into the St Athan site. Hopefully it will encourage more companies that we have a skilled workforce and to settle here.

Yep and this will give the kids aspirational options. It will let them know that there are decent jobs in South Wales and it is worth them trying to get the best education for themselves.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Good news for Wales... on 01:42 - Sep 13 with 2034 viewsDJack

Good news for Wales... on 11:25 - Sep 12 by LeonWasGod

Isn't it just. I'm not sure why anything else needs to be said. ~750 jobs will be a good boost to the region.

What is "funny" is that certain fckwits claim that some posters are just pushing their agenda, then they jump on my OP...and push their agenda.

Login to get fewer ads

Good news for Wales... on 06:24 - Sep 13 with 2006 viewspeenemunde

Good news for Wales... on 22:27 - Sep 12 by the_oracle

Swansea West voted remain.

🤣
Good news for Wales... on 11:18 - Sep 13 with 1973 viewsPawelAbbott

Good news for Wales... on 20:27 - Sep 12 by peenemunde

Ok you crack on with your paranoia 🤣

https://news.sky.com/story/govt-mass-surveillance-broke-human-rights-convention-

It's a good job we are leaving. What are they doing enforcing our human rights?? How dare they?
Good news for Wales... on 11:26 - Sep 13 with 1971 viewsCatullus

Good news for Wales... on 07:51 - Sep 12 by PawelAbbott

Two points
1 I didn’t say or give an inclination which way I voted
2 Voting remain would clearly have been a vote for the status quo

My point was what were you expecting the outcome to be when you voted?

Now a question worth answering for both sides, what did we vote for?

I posted in the thread about blaming the government why I chose leave. Yes I don't like the EU but I'm no fan of British politicians either. Yes I hope leaving is better for us in the long run. Yes I believe the EU is less democratic than the UK and I also believe EU open borders policy has helped terrorists and criminals movce freely across Europe and crime has risen because of it. I could be right or wrong.
Ultimately I chose leave because I had to choose and I honestly think we need fewer politicians (I'd do away with the WAG too, devolution, in my eyes, has been a mess) but I see Westminster outliving the EU and quite comfortably so it's the EU that has to go.
Also, the EU is openly federalist whereas the people of Europe are not ready to be one country with one set of rules and I believe pushing the federalist line will lead to more trouble, maybe even a war.
I chose leave not really knowing what the future would hold and nobody could know. All they could hope for was that our government and the EU would negotiate a fair deal, it soon became obvious it wouldn't happen as May crumbled at every red line, fell at every hurdle. We are being walked over which only goes to prove how useless our government is. At least May won an election though, when did I get a vote on Juncker or any commission member?
I was also partly pushed towards leave by the remain campaign which pushed fear ahead of facts. If remain could have given me definite facts about why we were better off remaining, facts that disproved leave claims but most of what I saw were bullying tactics, claims by the self interested for the self interested. There is still the "claim and counter claim" battle going on. Will there or won't there be a return of roaming charges, is the John Lewis announcement because of Brexit or because of their never knowingly undersold policy, who knows?
In 2016 the economist William White (who predicted the 2007/8 financial crisis said another one is coming and it may be worse than the last. In 2008 global debt was 200% of GDP but by 2016 it was 250% and he said nobody had learned any lessons, if he is right will Brexit trigger it? Will it help shield us from it's worst effects or leave us more vulnerable? Or will he be wrong......I can't say, I'm no intellectual, I don't have a great education and I'm not psychic but White has proven to be one expert worth listening to so I choose to believe him. So I'll ask another question, if another crash comes and it is worst than the last, will we be talking about Brexit in 10 years? Given the financial incompetence, is the EU part of the problem? Can we prevent a crash?
I have a feeling Brexit will turn out to be about a whole lot more than our exit deal. Worrying about the effect on our economy may be wasted, if the crash comes the EU may just collapse anyway....or actually have to reform in a meaningful way.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3445861/Look-heading-crash-warn

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Good news for Wales... on 11:33 - Sep 13 with 1966 viewspikeypaul

Good news for Wales... on 20:29 - Sep 12 by peenemunde

Of course it’s a lie.
I personally can’t believe anyone is thick enough to fall for it.

There are plenty on here.

197 AFLI

SIUYRL

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Good news for Wales... on 11:42 - Sep 13 with 1961 viewsProfessor

Good news for Wales... on 11:26 - Sep 13 by Catullus

I posted in the thread about blaming the government why I chose leave. Yes I don't like the EU but I'm no fan of British politicians either. Yes I hope leaving is better for us in the long run. Yes I believe the EU is less democratic than the UK and I also believe EU open borders policy has helped terrorists and criminals movce freely across Europe and crime has risen because of it. I could be right or wrong.
Ultimately I chose leave because I had to choose and I honestly think we need fewer politicians (I'd do away with the WAG too, devolution, in my eyes, has been a mess) but I see Westminster outliving the EU and quite comfortably so it's the EU that has to go.
Also, the EU is openly federalist whereas the people of Europe are not ready to be one country with one set of rules and I believe pushing the federalist line will lead to more trouble, maybe even a war.
I chose leave not really knowing what the future would hold and nobody could know. All they could hope for was that our government and the EU would negotiate a fair deal, it soon became obvious it wouldn't happen as May crumbled at every red line, fell at every hurdle. We are being walked over which only goes to prove how useless our government is. At least May won an election though, when did I get a vote on Juncker or any commission member?
I was also partly pushed towards leave by the remain campaign which pushed fear ahead of facts. If remain could have given me definite facts about why we were better off remaining, facts that disproved leave claims but most of what I saw were bullying tactics, claims by the self interested for the self interested. There is still the "claim and counter claim" battle going on. Will there or won't there be a return of roaming charges, is the John Lewis announcement because of Brexit or because of their never knowingly undersold policy, who knows?
In 2016 the economist William White (who predicted the 2007/8 financial crisis said another one is coming and it may be worse than the last. In 2008 global debt was 200% of GDP but by 2016 it was 250% and he said nobody had learned any lessons, if he is right will Brexit trigger it? Will it help shield us from it's worst effects or leave us more vulnerable? Or will he be wrong......I can't say, I'm no intellectual, I don't have a great education and I'm not psychic but White has proven to be one expert worth listening to so I choose to believe him. So I'll ask another question, if another crash comes and it is worst than the last, will we be talking about Brexit in 10 years? Given the financial incompetence, is the EU part of the problem? Can we prevent a crash?
I have a feeling Brexit will turn out to be about a whole lot more than our exit deal. Worrying about the effect on our economy may be wasted, if the crash comes the EU may just collapse anyway....or actually have to reform in a meaningful way.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3445861/Look-heading-crash-warn

And as we discussed on the other thread my reasons for voting remain were top retain research and education partnerships, retain regulations of environmental and public health protection and importantly to retain workers rights on health, maternity etc. which may (or may not) be eroded by leaving. The Northwest has done well from the EU (arguably far better than through Westminster) which may explain the strong remain votes in Liverpool and Manchester.

As for John Lewis, having been a partner in the 1980s, it is run a bit differently than other businesses of course. Worth pointing out it has not lost money and has paid off debts and invested in new stores and improvements (though a number of the 'Little Waitrose' stores are going), so perhaps it is playing a long game in being the last Department Store standing. Debenhams may yet be swallowed by a merger with House of Fraser/Sports Direct which will almost certainly take it a bit downmarket-perhaps like JC Penney in the US which a sort of halfway between Primark and a traditional department store.
Good news for Wales... on 14:11 - Sep 13 with 1939 viewsPawelAbbott

Good news for Wales... on 11:26 - Sep 13 by Catullus

Really good post!
I think what is blatantly clear is that what we are going to get is nothing like what anyone had voted for.
Good news for Wales... on 14:36 - Sep 13 with 1928 viewsCatullus

Good news for Wales... on 14:11 - Sep 13 by PawelAbbott

Really good post!
I think what is blatantly clear is that what we are going to get is nothing like what anyone had voted for.

It's the nothing like anyone had voted for that was pretty much always the case I think. If anyone thought we were going to close our borders and kick all migrants out or maintain single market access on our terms, well they are madder than me.
I always thought a fair deal was possible so I was mad enough for thinking that. A "no deal" looks more and more likely so, unless it's political blather to make us plebs think we're screwed and then they miraculously pull a deal together, y'know to convince us how good they are, then I think people need to look at their personal finances and take precautions. After seeing that article by White ( and our needing to remortgage to do a load of work on the house) we took out a ten year fixed rate and what we have on HP we managed to get at 0% interest too. Our outgoings are fixed til 2026 so hopoefully whatever is coming will have passed by then, be it a Brexit disaster or a global financial meltdown.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Good news for Wales... on 12:51 - Sep 16 with 1835 viewsjack2jack

Fantastic news.Aston showing faith in Wales and tapping into the wealth of skilled labour.
Good news for Wales... on 18:17 - Sep 16 with 1816 viewsDJack

Good news for Wales... on 12:51 - Sep 16 by jack2jack

Fantastic news.Aston showing faith in Wales and tapping into the wealth of skilled labour.

I'm hoping that they will offer apprenticeships.

Good news for Wales... on 20:45 - Sep 16 with 1807 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Good news for Wales... on 11:01 - Sep 12 by BrynCartwright

It is indeed brilliant news that such a high profile company as AM is willing to invest even more into the St Athan site. Hopefully it will encourage more companies that we have a skilled workforce and to settle here.

Its great news for that part of wales where there is already a high employment rate. We need something like this out west and fast

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Good news for Wales... on 21:20 - Sep 16 with 1792 viewsjack2jack

Good news for Wales... on 18:17 - Sep 16 by DJack

I'm hoping that they will offer apprenticeships.

Hope so DJ, do many places even offer apprenticeships these days?
Good news for Wales... on 21:34 - Sep 16 with 1787 viewsCatullus

Good news for Wales... on 21:20 - Sep 16 by jack2jack

Hope so DJ, do many places even offer apprenticeships these days?

That there aren't apprenticeships available is a national disgrace. No wonder so many young people feel let down, disenfranchised and face accusations of being lazy, I mean, there's nothing wrong with any paid job but teenagers should have more ambition than to flip burgers or sell phones.
No wonder our young people hate the Tories. It's not leaving the EU that's selling kids futures, it's a lack of training and opportunity. A country is truly in trouble when the young have no hope. We could reverse brexit, remain in the EU or leave and it turns out to be a success but it won't matter to young people if we continue to leave them to rot.
I want more for my son than a zero hours contract in a mobile phone shop!!

Good news for Wales... on 01:03 - Sep 17 with 1767 viewsDJack

Good news for Wales... on 21:34 - Sep 16 by Catullus

That there aren't apprenticeships available is a national disgrace. No wonder so many young people feel let down, disenfranchised and face accusations of being lazy, I mean, there's nothing wrong with any paid job but teenagers should have more ambition than to flip burgers or sell phones.
No wonder our young people hate the Tories. It's not leaving the EU that's selling kids futures, it's a lack of training and opportunity. A country is truly in trouble when the young have no hope. We could reverse brexit, remain in the EU or leave and it turns out to be a success but it won't matter to young people if we continue to leave them to rot.
I want more for my son than a zero hours contract in a mobile phone shop!!

You're right the crime is the lack of training and opportunity. That said businesses have their part in this crime. They expect the government/education system to train the youngsters to their needs. My view is, as a business if you want staff qualified in certain skills then you have to contribute.

Good news for Wales... on 06:47 - Sep 17 with 1750 viewspeenemunde

Good news for Wales... on 01:03 - Sep 17 by DJack

You're right the crime is the lack of training and opportunity. That said businesses have their part in this crime. They expect the government/education system to train the youngsters to their needs. My view is, as a business if you want staff qualified in certain skills then you have to contribute.

Why should businesses train people, when they can get cheap foreign labour ?
Good news for Wales... on 09:52 - Sep 17 with 1724 viewsCatullus

Good news for Wales... on 01:03 - Sep 17 by DJack

I totally agree. The government should be giving tax breaks for firms who take on apprentices, not tax breaks for people who reinvest in their business in ways that will return profit without helping anyone very much but themselves.
Maybe instead of criticising foreign workers though we should be saying that whatever the going rate is in any firm for any job, if someone leaves or is sacked the person who replaces them should be on at least the same wage, assuming they are equally as skilled and have roughly the same experience, if they are more skilled and /or have more experience they should be paid more. In all of this, being critical of immigrant workers is silly, they are being taken advantage of too. If a carpenter or electrician comes here from Poland and replaces a "homegrown" worker, why should the company be able to pay him/her less if they are at least as good? Actually, many times we hear the foreign workers are more dilligent, they should probably get a pay rise on the previous workers rate!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024