Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Job seekers allowance 12:20 - Sep 13 with 2357 viewsCountyJim

My Wife was recenly made redundant and had to go the Job center and claim JSA for the first time at the age of 50 she has been told that as her NI payments in 2015-16 are not enough she is not entitled to to JSA

Couple of question why is that a working person claiming JSA for the first time in 34 years is turned down yet someone that has never worked or paid a penny to the system (as the Job Center member of staff told her there where plenty ) gets money from the state

2 why dont the goverment tell people every year you are not paying enough NI contributions

She loved her job working in Ladies fashions but her firm went bust another on the high street gone
Job seekers allowance on 12:35 - Sep 13 with 2320 viewsswanforthemoney

JSA is a contributary benefits, so you have to have the requisite contributions to claim the allowance.

I THINK she may be able to top up her contributions for the year in question, and that might make her eligible.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/deadlines

Im not that knowledgable so it mey be wrong. Someone on here might know.

The BIGGER issue is for her to keep her contributions up to date for pension purposes.
Her state pension will depend on how many years she has contributed the sufficient amount. You can get a statement for how many years you have for pension purposes.

https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

everyone should do this, my Mrs has actually bought some years in preparation for drawing a pension in a few years time.

I stand in the North Stand

Job seekers allowance on 13:05 - Sep 13 with 2277 viewsstevethejack

Exactly the correct advice, 7 years is the limit to make those top up payments. Small outlay could mean JSA for 6 months.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 13:08]
Job seekers allowance on 13:18 - Sep 13 with 2248 viewsdickythorpe

Can't answer your question Jim, but hope all works out. The threat of redundancy is bad enough, but full redundancy is very stressful and can have very negative impacts.
Job seekers allowance on 13:24 - Sep 13 with 2227 viewsJackfath

Can one overpay in order to have more at a later date, or retire early?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Job seekers allowance on 13:27 - Sep 13 with 2221 viewsCountyJim

Job seekers allowance on 13:18 - Sep 13 by dickythorpe

Can't answer your question Jim, but hope all works out. The threat of redundancy is bad enough, but full redundancy is very stressful and can have very negative impacts.

It is Dicky I know what she's going through was made redundant myself just over 2 years back you do feel lost

She has to get used to all that computer malarkey now she hasn't even got a mobile there's not many in the UK that can say that
Job seekers allowance on 13:31 - Sep 13 with 2210 viewsHCMC

How many weeks NI is she missing from 15/16 ?

She can pay them now (top up) if she wants and she will then get JSA plus 1 year towards the required 35 to get full state pension.

So many people are missing just a couple of weeks which then voids the entire years NI towards pension entitlement.

All of you should send for a NI statement and top up if there is a danger of you not getting the required 35 years in.

I can top up from 2005/06 and have until 2023 to do it at the same rate as if I had paid in the day(no interest charged) But have most of those years covered and a load from earlier so I will get 35 in easy without topping up.
Job seekers allowance on 13:58 - Sep 13 with 2161 viewsmonmouth

Job seekers allowance on 13:31 - Sep 13 by HCMC

How many weeks NI is she missing from 15/16 ?

She can pay them now (top up) if she wants and she will then get JSA plus 1 year towards the required 35 to get full state pension.

So many people are missing just a couple of weeks which then voids the entire years NI towards pension entitlement.

All of you should send for a NI statement and top up if there is a danger of you not getting the required 35 years in.

I can top up from 2005/06 and have until 2023 to do it at the same rate as if I had paid in the day(no interest charged) But have most of those years covered and a load from earlier so I will get 35 in easy without topping up.

It’s not quite as simple as 35 years if you’ve been part of a contracted out scheme. Jim, look on you gov web site and phone them. They were very good with me about state pension requirement. You do need sufficient NI conts each year for the year to count, but 150 quid can do it and it’s an unbeatable investment really.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Job seekers allowance on 14:49 - Sep 13 with 2116 viewsCatullus

I was medically retired in 2011 and was worried about my pension so I asked, it was a real hard job back then but now you can check online you just have to register, gateway account I think it is.
I discovered that because I am down as our son's primary carer I was being credited with the necessary NI contributions. I double checked, did the maths and found that when my son reaches the age when that no longer happens I would have 37 years in and despite missing a year (when I was 23 and full time employed) so all is good.

Good luck to your missus, the system is rubbish and that's after it's been improved!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Job seekers allowance on 17:04 - Sep 13 with 2008 viewsDr_Winston

It's been a while since I did much JSA, but from memory there needs to be a minimum of six months paid Class One contributions for the relevant income tax year (RITY). Self paid contributions don't count, which is where self-employed people used to have problems claiming if their partner worked.

For JSA purposes only the last two complete RITY's are taken into account, so for a claim made this year it'd be the ones ending in 2016 & 2017. It's possible her employer has made an error, or if she's changed jobs in that period something hasn't carried over. Worth asking HMRC for her contribution record so she can check.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Job seekers allowance on 17:28 - Sep 13 with 1981 viewsHCMC

Job seekers allowance on 13:58 - Sep 13 by monmouth

It’s not quite as simple as 35 years if you’ve been part of a contracted out scheme. Jim, look on you gov web site and phone them. They were very good with me about state pension requirement. You do need sufficient NI conts each year for the year to count, but 150 quid can do it and it’s an unbeatable investment really.

It is still 35 years but you may get a reduced rate

I will still suggest people get a NI statement record.

It states exactly what you have paid ,how many full years you have and the cost of topping up any missing years.

The rules change all the time until a few years ago you needed 30 years NI they then put it up to 35 years who is to say this won't go to 40 or 45 in the future? In fact I would bet good money they will.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 17:30]
Job seekers allowance on 21:33 - Sep 13 with 1826 viewsCatullus

Job seekers allowance on 17:28 - Sep 13 by HCMC

It is still 35 years but you may get a reduced rate

I will still suggest people get a NI statement record.

It states exactly what you have paid ,how many full years you have and the cost of topping up any missing years.

The rules change all the time until a few years ago you needed 30 years NI they then put it up to 35 years who is to say this won't go to 40 or 45 in the future? In fact I would bet good money they will.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 17:30]

Of course they will and the state pension age will rise too. Us poor folk have to worry about things like this but the MP's, well we should be kicking up a real stink aboiut their pension arrangements...

https://www.ft.com/content/1082473a-3979-11e7-ac89-b01cc67cfeec

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Job seekers allowance on 22:00 - Sep 13 with 1803 viewsjack_lord

What happens if there was an error from the mid 90's?
I was a student with a period of unemployment between degree and research degree and the jobcentre, at the time, were talking about missing contributions?

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024