Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier 16:03 - Sep 13 with 5123 views_

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 18:38 - Sep 13 with 3232 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Have what you're given and like it.......

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 19:43 - Sep 13 with 3145 views_

Just interested in what fans expectation levels are like now compared to how we knew the club growing up.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 19:57 - Sep 13 with 3105 viewspencoedjack

As a city yes with our football heritage over the last 40 years no

Unfortunately we have been fuked over royally by the previous owners of our football club

I know you disagree but hey ho
Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 19:57 - Sep 13 with 3095 viewspeenemunde

Oscar Wilde once said :- We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking to the stars.

Forget decades ago, Swansea are now a club that should be looking to play in the premier league.
Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 20:02 - Sep 13 with 3089 viewsbonymine

Asset stripped to the bare bones in order to go some way to making up for the total incompetence of our multi millionaire & self proclaimed DoF over the past 3 years we have been well and truely shafted .....enough said.

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 20:04 - Sep 13 with 3078 viewsItchySphincter

I always remember longing for this division when I was a kid. Always thought the top division would be beyond us but always felt we were underachieving by not getting to this league. We should definitely be regularly fighting it out with the likes of WBA, Crapdiff, Forest (not a massive club other than the Brian Clough years), Derby, Watford, QPR, Norwich, Burnley, West ham, etc.

I also remember Pinocchio saying back in the El Baldo Greaseball years that it was our aim to be one of the top 30 clubs in the country, so basically in the top half of the Championship.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 20:34 - Sep 13 with 3017 viewsRancid

I don't think you can pigeon hole a club like Swansea and it's expectations because we've been up, down, on the brink, on the verge and pretty much every predicament a football club could get into.If I had to say then I do like the Championship and think we're more fitting to it than the odd foray into the PL or a massive collapse into the cesspits of the League 1's and 2's.

I'd happily watch us for the next 10 years in the Championship and watch us evolve again.
Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 20:35 - Sep 13 with 3004 viewslifelong

We joined the football league system in 1920/21, bear in mind a break of 6 years for WW2, including this season we have spent 93 season in the league.
9 of those seasons in the top tier.
41 seasons in the second tier.
21 seasons in the third tier.
22 seasons in the fourth tier.

So, if would be fair to say that there is no way we are punching above our weight in the second tier.
Login to get fewer ads

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 20:39 - Sep 13 with 2986 viewsItchySphincter

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 20:35 - Sep 13 by lifelong

We joined the football league system in 1920/21, bear in mind a break of 6 years for WW2, including this season we have spent 93 season in the league.

So, if would be fair to say that there is no way we are punching above our weight in the second tier.

Thank you.

Great post.

Besides dropping down the leagues when I was less than 10 years old I’ve spent most of my time watching the Swans in the bottom two divisions. Loved every minute of it too.

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 20:55 - Sep 13 with 2948 views_

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 20:35 - Sep 13 by lifelong

I counted it 37 in the second tier
And 45 in the third and fourth.

Which to be honest, I was surprised to find out. I thought we'd been a lot more in the bottom tier.

I would now say this league is our weight class and the least we should accept.is to play here. I think it's pretty official we were punching above our weight in the EPL with just 9 seasons out of around 92 that high.

We haven't been asset stripped to the bone, in fact, we haven't been asset stripped at all. All that's happened is we've returned to a league we can and have been competitive in, and a league we've been lucky to get promoted from twice.

I guess that last stat really puts a lot into perspective. Out of the 37 seasons we've been in this league we've only got out of it going up 1 in around 18/19

That's quite a scary fact and one that would be nice to improve on.

It's when we can at least establish ourselves in this league and even if we went up and down a few times we can rightly stake a claim to be a recognised big club.

We shouldn't take relegation so badly or petulantly. We should do all we can to fight our way back and prove our clout is getting bigger and bigger every season we're in existence.

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:21 - Sep 13 with 2868 viewslonglostjack

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 19:57 - Sep 13 by peenemunde

Oscar Wilde once said :- We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking to the stars.

Forget decades ago, Swansea are now a club that should be looking to play in the premier league.

I need to lie down. I agree with you Peens.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2018 21:23]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:23 - Sep 13 with 2862 viewshobo

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 20:39 - Sep 13 by ItchySphincter

Thank you.

Great post.

Besides dropping down the leagues when I was less than 10 years old I’ve spent most of my time watching the Swans in the bottom two divisions. Loved every minute of it too.

Same! Started in '96 in the old division 2 before spending most of my younger years in division 3. Division 1 (or the Chamionship' as it's now called, had always been a distant dream! Even so, hopefully we have evolved as a club now, and the top two divisions are where our future lies
Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:29 - Sep 13 with 2853 views_

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:23 - Sep 13 by hobo

Same! Started in '96 in the old division 2 before spending most of my younger years in division 3. Division 1 (or the Chamionship' as it's now called, had always been a distant dream! Even so, hopefully we have evolved as a club now, and the top two divisions are where our future lies

What do you mean by the old division 2?

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:32 - Sep 13 with 2841 viewsLoyal

I expect 100% regardless.
And I don't care what league we play in.
If we have given 100% I won't complain.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:53 - Sep 13 with 2797 viewsItchySphincter

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:29 - Sep 13 by _

What do you mean by the old division 2?

Probably means old div 3 which became League One. We were relegated from that division in ‘96 weren’t we? First time in about seven or eight years that we went back down to the bottom division.

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:56 - Sep 13 with 2792 views_

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:53 - Sep 13 by ItchySphincter

Probably means old div 3 which became League One. We were relegated from that division in ‘96 weren’t we? First time in about seven or eight years that we went back down to the bottom division.

So the third tier then? I forgot it went Premier League, Division 1, 2 and 3 for a bit.

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:57 - Sep 13 with 2789 viewsItchySphincter

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:53 - Sep 13 by ItchySphincter

Actually, did division three become division two before it became League One? I can’t remember. When the Premiership started didn’t the second division get called the first division before being rebranded the Championship?

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:58 - Sep 13 with 2785 viewsItchySphincter

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:56 - Sep 13 by _

So the third tier then? I forgot it went Premier League, Division 1, 2 and 3 for a bit.

Ha! Yes, I had the same memory loss!

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 22:55 - Sep 13 with 2698 viewsjack_lord

You've got to know where you've come from to know where you're going!

Our history is richer than than a lot of us give our club credit for. We know what it is like at the bottom and we know what it is like at the top. We have spend more time in the top two tiers than the bottom and our recent history has been much better to experience than the majority of the 70's until 2004. It makes us more appreciative of everything we have experienced and history will tell us we certainly are not punching above our weight.

History will also tell us that Huw and is buddies cashed in and f ooked over the supporters trust to make themselves rich.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 01:03 - Sep 14 with 2605 viewsDJack

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 19:43 - Sep 13 by _

Just interested in what fans expectation levels are like now compared to how we knew the club growing up.

Your question is a good one. But the answers will contain as much hope as expectation and it skews things... even more so as it will vary depending how people view our history - as seen or as recorded.

But as I said, it is a good question.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 01:28 - Sep 14 with 2594 viewswobbly

Yes, the death knell that season was a drubbing away at Notts County (4-0 I think?). I was one of the 24,000 who now claim to have been there that day

I’m genuinely surprised by how long we have been in the top two tiers. That’s a great statistic.
Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 03:17 - Sep 14 with 2562 viewsmajorraglan

Yes and no, I have mixed views on this.

After nearly going out of the league and business in the early 2,000s, the new ownership and the move to the Liberty provided the club with a solid base to move forward and develop. Sustained success on and off the field and a lack of debt during its resurgence provided an environment for the club to flourish. I believe the club is capable of and should be playing Championship and Premier League football and that it is not punching above its weight.

That said, in terms of the current team, I do believe the players are punching above their weight. A lot of high earners and some quality players have been stripped out of the team and replaced with youngsters, having regard to what been left behind and recruited Potter is doing ok.
Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 07:32 - Sep 14 with 2456 viewsMrSwerve

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 21:57 - Sep 13 by ItchySphincter

Actually, did division three become division two before it became League One? I can’t remember. When the Premiership started didn’t the second division get called the first division before being rebranded the Championship?

Yep, it went from

Div 1, div 2, div 3, div 4
To
Premiership/PL, div 1, div 2, div 3
To
PL, championship, L1, L2

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 08:12 - Sep 14 with 2414 views_

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 01:28 - Sep 14 by wobbly

Yes, the death knell that season was a drubbing away at Notts County (4-0 I think?). I was one of the 24,000 who now claim to have been there that day

I’m genuinely surprised by how long we have been in the top two tiers. That’s a great statistic.

So was I and it's changed my mindset quite a bit since last night actually.

My time growing up with the Swans was completely different. I saw us in the top flight the first time around but until recently it was always scrubbing around in the lower leagues.

I think it's time we reinforced all our mindsets to really believe we are a renowned top 2 club. I really do believe that at times the arrogance of bigger clubs has seen them succeed over us because of their history. We can have a bit of that as well.

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 08:16 - Sep 14 with 2407 views_

Is Swansea City FC still punching above its weight in the 2nd Tier on 03:17 - Sep 14 by majorraglan

Yes and no, I have mixed views on this.

After nearly going out of the league and business in the early 2,000s, the new ownership and the move to the Liberty provided the club with a solid base to move forward and develop. Sustained success on and off the field and a lack of debt during its resurgence provided an environment for the club to flourish. I believe the club is capable of and should be playing Championship and Premier League football and that it is not punching above its weight.

That said, in terms of the current team, I do believe the players are punching above their weight. A lot of high earners and some quality players have been stripped out of the team and replaced with youngsters, having regard to what been left behind and recruited Potter is doing ok.

I disagree completely on your last point. We've spent a whole lot of time and money on our age grade football and we are reaping some rewards.

This is a bloody good squad of Championship footballers, light in some areas, but strong overall. There's nothing to fear in this league with what we've got.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024