Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Carnage Starts 16:25 - Sep 13 with 8907 viewsCARDAN

Just been to pick up my passes for the game on Saturday, there has just been a meeting and the girls in the commercial department I believe are being laid off. There are only a few of them and I don’t suppose they earn a fortune, are the club that skint ?
The Carnage Starts on 00:16 - Sep 14 with 2682 viewsairedale

The Carnage Starts on 20:14 - Sep 13 by Arizlan2

Sickening!!!

Cut from the top not the bottom!

Exactly! Sack the board, all managers, sales department (w*nkers), just keep the production department. They’re the ones who make the money. That’s all you need.

Oh, maybe keep the wages dept too, and their managers, just in case.
The Carnage Starts on 00:55 - Sep 14 with 2658 viewsDJack

The Carnage Starts on 19:45 - Sep 13 by Garyjack

Mel Nurses consortium? Never heard of it! Who was in it?

Notice the lack of reply...and if you do get one he will mention that he ASKED if it was that as if it was a genuine mistake. Dissembling at it's best.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

The Carnage Starts on 03:19 - Sep 14 with 2629 viewsmajorraglan

The Carnage Starts on 19:20 - Sep 13 by Badlands

Very sad for anyone losing a wage but let's make no bones about it - when a business lays off staff the top brass are the last to go.
Making out it's unique to Swansea City is bull.
Wasn't it Mel Nurse's consortium that persuaded local firms to accept 5p in the £ to keep us in business?
As upsetting as it is, successful businesses take hard decisions.

Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas.
The Carnage Starts on 03:29 - Sep 14 with 2623 viewsmajorraglan

Poster on SCFC 2 stating he has spoken to someone at the club and this is right. Another 1 has commented on the £47m non playing wages and made reference to the “books”. Concerning times.
The Carnage Starts on 06:00 - Sep 14 with 2569 viewswobbly

The Carnage Starts on 00:55 - Sep 14 by DJack

Notice the lack of reply...and if you do get one he will mention that he ASKED if it was that as if it was a genuine mistake. Dissembling at it's best.

It’s how the BBC described the consortium at the time

‘Former Swans director and Wales international Mel Nurse led a local business consortium's buy-out of the club in January, for a sum thought to near £50,000.‘

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/1892909.stm

It also reports how of the £1.4m of creditors who took 5p in the Pound, £801,000 of that was Mel himself and another £250,000 was John Hollins. I think Matt Bound was another £40,000. So the others have to have been (relatively) small creditors.

Mel bought that debt off Ninth Floor, and he bought it for less than £800,000, but he still lost money. Incredible sacrifice.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2018 6:01]
The Carnage Starts on 06:37 - Sep 14 with 2550 viewsSWANSEYE

The Carnage Starts on 18:49 - Sep 13 by 34dfgdf54

F*cking mental if he’s on the same screw.

Absolutely gutted for the people losing jobs. I thought Dineen said on Swansea Sound that there would be no job losses, apart from playing staff being cut.

What do you expect . .more lies
The Carnage Starts on 09:38 - Sep 14 with 2384 viewsSmellyplumz

Here is a new flash folks... Life is unfair.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

The Carnage Starts on 10:34 - Sep 14 with 2319 viewsMoscowJack

What I don't understand is why 'normal' people are being made redundant when £1m a year is being spent on Pearlman and Jenkins.

If they halved that, they could keep 20 people on £25k salaries, although they would still need to pay for a real boss to run the business.

Last year I was involved in trying to save the Russian offices of a major global recruitment agency. The people in their HQ were looking at which of the 100s of staff in-country they could 'release' but hardly looked at the top people within the region because they were company men/women who they trusted. The reality, which they didn't like, was that the 'leaders' were weak and not the right fit for the business, so we saved $2m per year on their salaries whilst replacing them with much better local talent on less than half the money.

The point I'm trying to make is that the people in the business are only as good as the leaders who lead them. I understand that the Swans don't have the global attraction of some or most clubs, but we all know that the commercial department has been a joke for a long time. It's been run by an absolutely amateur (Dineen) for a very long time and Pearlman's performance hasn't really inspired me either.

When you have weak or 'limited' leaders, the people below them will be weak too and many of them deserve better, not a P45.

I'd help the Swans sort this out for free but I'm sure the Yanks wouldn't accept any changes that removed Pearlman and Jenkins, but that's probably what needs to be done.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Login to get fewer ads

The Carnage Starts on 10:36 - Sep 14 with 2308 viewsCatullus

The Carnage Starts on 09:38 - Sep 14 by Smellyplumz

Here is a new flash folks... Life is unfair.

No one ever told me life would be fair but I was often told if you work hard etc, you will be ok.......that was a lie! If they'd told me to be careful with money, choose friends wisely and be careful which family members you trust, that would have been good advice. Is it any wonder I sacked my parents.
Anyone who thought cuts would only be made to players is......unaware, shall we say? Every penny that can be saved will be saved. We can only hope the end result is a financially healthy, well run club.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The Carnage Starts on 11:51 - Sep 14 with 2239 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The Carnage Starts on 10:36 - Sep 14 by Catullus

No one ever told me life would be fair but I was often told if you work hard etc, you will be ok.......that was a lie! If they'd told me to be careful with money, choose friends wisely and be careful which family members you trust, that would have been good advice. Is it any wonder I sacked my parents.
Anyone who thought cuts would only be made to players is......unaware, shall we say? Every penny that can be saved will be saved. We can only hope the end result is a financially healthy, well run club.

If we consider Pearlman, Jenkins and Dineen then I'm not sure that every penny that can be saved will be saved.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

The Carnage Starts on 11:55 - Sep 14 with 2227 viewsLoyal

The Carnage Starts on 06:00 - Sep 14 by wobbly

It’s how the BBC described the consortium at the time

‘Former Swans director and Wales international Mel Nurse led a local business consortium's buy-out of the club in January, for a sum thought to near £50,000.‘

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/1892909.stm

It also reports how of the £1.4m of creditors who took 5p in the Pound, £801,000 of that was Mel himself and another £250,000 was John Hollins. I think Matt Bound was another £40,000. So the others have to have been (relatively) small creditors.

Mel bought that debt off Ninth Floor, and he bought it for less than £800,000, but he still lost money. Incredible sacrifice.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2018 6:01]

I'm really not sure this is how it went.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The Carnage Starts on 12:10 - Sep 14 with 2198 viewswobbly

The Carnage Starts on 11:55 - Sep 14 by Loyal

I'm really not sure this is how it went.

Which bit is wrong? It was a long time ago so it may not all be right. But I remember Ninth floor built up a debt of about 800,000 funding the club and to get leverage over Petty, Mel bought it from them for about 100k. There was a car park as well :)

At 5p in the pound, he would have got 40,000 back under the CVA?
The Carnage Starts on 12:42 - Sep 14 with 2152 viewsAguycalledJack

The Carnage Starts on 11:51 - Sep 14 by JACKMANANDBOY

If we consider Pearlman, Jenkins and Dineen then I'm not sure that every penny that can be saved will be saved.

The city centre club shop should be one of the things to go.

Total waste of time and money.
The Carnage Starts on 12:50 - Sep 14 with 2136 viewsLoyal

The Carnage Starts on 12:10 - Sep 14 by wobbly

Which bit is wrong? It was a long time ago so it may not all be right. But I remember Ninth floor built up a debt of about 800,000 funding the club and to get leverage over Petty, Mel bought it from them for about 100k. There was a car park as well :)

At 5p in the pound, he would have got 40,000 back under the CVA?

OK, yes, the car park, maybe Phil can shed some light but I have always been sceptical of the MelNurse stories around this time.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The Carnage Starts on 12:55 - Sep 14 with 2116 views34dfgdf54

The Carnage Starts on 10:34 - Sep 14 by MoscowJack

What I don't understand is why 'normal' people are being made redundant when £1m a year is being spent on Pearlman and Jenkins.

If they halved that, they could keep 20 people on £25k salaries, although they would still need to pay for a real boss to run the business.

Last year I was involved in trying to save the Russian offices of a major global recruitment agency. The people in their HQ were looking at which of the 100s of staff in-country they could 'release' but hardly looked at the top people within the region because they were company men/women who they trusted. The reality, which they didn't like, was that the 'leaders' were weak and not the right fit for the business, so we saved $2m per year on their salaries whilst replacing them with much better local talent on less than half the money.

The point I'm trying to make is that the people in the business are only as good as the leaders who lead them. I understand that the Swans don't have the global attraction of some or most clubs, but we all know that the commercial department has been a joke for a long time. It's been run by an absolutely amateur (Dineen) for a very long time and Pearlman's performance hasn't really inspired me either.

When you have weak or 'limited' leaders, the people below them will be weak too and many of them deserve better, not a P45.

I'd help the Swans sort this out for free but I'm sure the Yanks wouldn't accept any changes that removed Pearlman and Jenkins, but that's probably what needs to be done.

Good post.

Like I said earlier in the thread, an American company I worked for, after making big losses for a year, were ruthless. The board wanted action, and it was, Global CEO fired, European Director fired, UK manager fired. They get paid big salaries, with that comes responsibility, you fall on your sword when things go wrong.

What I expected to happen, was Jenkins and Pearlman to be sacked immediately, Americans then bring others in to replace, and then restructure. At the moment it’s still the same senior staff here, no ones taken responsibility.
The Carnage Starts on 13:07 - Sep 14 with 2083 viewsQJumpingJack

The Trust should request info on:

+ bonuses paid to executives over the last 24 months
+ expenses which have been claimed for.
The Carnage Starts on 13:23 - Sep 14 with 2051 viewsmajorraglan

The Carnage Starts on 13:07 - Sep 14 by QJumpingJack

The Trust should request info on:

+ bonuses paid to executives over the last 24 months
+ expenses which have been claimed for.

They may well have, but it appears that they can’t get access to some of the financial info if what is being posted on here is correct.
The Carnage Starts on 13:26 - Sep 14 with 2037 viewsmajorraglan

The Carnage Starts on 12:55 - Sep 14 by 34dfgdf54

Good post.

Like I said earlier in the thread, an American company I worked for, after making big losses for a year, were ruthless. The board wanted action, and it was, Global CEO fired, European Director fired, UK manager fired. They get paid big salaries, with that comes responsibility, you fall on your sword when things go wrong.

What I expected to happen, was Jenkins and Pearlman to be sacked immediately, Americans then bring others in to replace, and then restructure. At the moment it’s still the same senior staff here, no ones taken responsibility.

In terms of the last paragraph, I suspect while there is a potential prospect of litigation between the Trust and the previous/current owners they may not want to rock the boat as it may cause issues in their relationships and divide what may now be a united front.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2018 13:27]
The Carnage Starts on 13:50 - Sep 14 with 1979 viewsBadlands

The Carnage Starts on 12:55 - Sep 14 by 34dfgdf54

Good post.

Pearlman is delivering on his brief.

'Pearlman will oversea the day-to-day commercial operations of the club, including stadium and corporate sponsorships, marketing, merchandise, ticketing, media and public relations.'

PR hasn't worked for those determined to use even good news to slate the shareholders but he's doing well given our circumstances.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Carnage Starts on 14:04 - Sep 14 with 1962 viewslonglostjack

The Carnage Starts on 13:50 - Sep 14 by Badlands

'Pearlman will oversea the day-to-day commercial operations of the club, including stadium and corporate sponsorships, marketing, merchandise, ticketing, media and public relations.'

PR hasn't worked for those determined to use even good news to slate the shareholders but he's doing well given our circumstances.

Let’s have some decent PR from him.

“I have taken a significant pay cut in response to the challenging commercial environment we face going forward. I have also made it my mission to slash management charges, directors expenses and consultancy fees.
Yours truly
Chris “

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

The Carnage Starts on 14:18 - Sep 14 with 1945 viewsBadlands

The Carnage Starts on 14:04 - Sep 14 by longlostjack

Let’s have some decent PR from him.

“I have taken a significant pay cut in response to the challenging commercial environment we face going forward. I have also made it my mission to slash management charges, directors expenses and consultancy fees.
Yours truly
Chris “

Of course, we all would do that - wouldn't we.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Carnage Starts on 14:23 - Sep 14 with 1936 viewslonglostjack

The Carnage Starts on 14:18 - Sep 14 by Badlands

Of course, we all would do that - wouldn't we.

Speak for yourself. To be honest as a Swans fan if I were doing his job and earning the money that he does then yes I would. Each to their own.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

The Carnage Starts on 14:27 - Sep 14 with 1928 viewsgrimreaper

From SCFC2 - https://www.scfc2.co.uk/forums/discussion/2492/lay-offs-in-commercial-dept

check it out, it might be true.

2017 figures submitted were 99M wages, careful studying of first squad players and coaches wages add up to 52M for between 25/30 people.
These are the wages of the top squad people and are based on what the board have told the media these guys have earned. They might not be spot on but close and in line with previous amounts.
The non playing squads employees totalled 369, so the 47M is based on the 340.
This 340 went up from 240 in 2014.
The disclosure of information on breakdowns would justify or not, why these non playing employees were engaged and for what purpose and also clarify why the significant increase in salaries were made.
Employees mentioned in the 2002Ltd books (Holding company) list these numbers but include the Association LTd and others.
It may well be that these employees with the huge salaries are included many times.
E.G. the CFO may be paid 5 times.
Jenkins earns 666K from 2002Ltd but is a paid director on the other 4.
Dineen doesn't appear in the 2002 Check but was incorporated in the Association Ltd in 2016 with others.
The company secretary is on more than one.
By doing this with all 5 companies the employees increase but the people numbers don't.
These are the high end earners
The commercial dept is part of the Association ltd but wasn't prior to 2016.
The wages split for these high earners in 5 companies could be in excess of 25M a year plus fees as consultants.
Disclosure would answer this but it is extremely unlikely they will.
Cutting proper working employees to the bare bones will ensure they keep these salaries and fees until all the money runs out.
The theory is becoming more realistic with every move they make.
The board members are historical in dissolving companies for whatever reason, in doing so ensuring they walk away unscathed.
The Carnage Starts on 14:43 - Sep 14 with 1898 viewsDarran

Is there anyone that actually believes that?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Carnage Starts on 14:45 - Sep 14 with 1899 viewsMoscowJack

The Carnage Starts on 13:50 - Sep 14 by Badlands

Pearlman alone might be doing a good job, but there was significant investment in the Commercial team so you would expect significant improvements, which I haven't seen (and financial reports don't reflect).

I agree with some that he hasn't had enough time to achieve everything he wants, but there was a lot of low-hanging fruit that he could have grabbed in the meantime....and I'm sure we would have known about it had he achieved it.

Getting the stadium means nothing now that we're a Championship club but having a stadium sponsor would have given us vital revenue. I actually offered them a chance to talk to a Korean client of mine (a massive company) about stadium sponsorship as it was something they were interested in, but I needed a signed shirt from Ki to give to the global CEO to get things moving. I think you can guess what happened! I understand that we didn't own the stadium then, but 30% of X is better than 100% of nothing!!!

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024