Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gylfi 16:48 - Sep 16 with 2540 viewspencoedjack

Great header
Gylfi on 16:50 - Sep 16 with 2050 viewsomarjack

Holy sh!t..I forgot myself for a moment..I screamed "Gylfi!"..only to realise the good days are far gone..And let's not talk about Fabianski..almost a world class keeper imo. Being objective and all.

Good luck to both. I really don't hold any grudges.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2018 16:51]

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Gylfi on 00:09 - Sep 18 with 1759 views_

It was a great header - but yet another spectacularly shit performance.

99% of the Everton fans are as absolutely fed up as 1% of the Swans fans were.

The most ordinarily average expensive flop in the EPL

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/gylfi-sigurdsson.104350/page-100

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Gylfi on 05:59 - Sep 18 with 1681 viewskarnataka

Did he ever score with his head for us? I'm struggling to remember him doing so.
Gylfi on 07:18 - Sep 18 with 1657 viewsJango

Gylfi on 00:09 - Sep 18 by _

1 good game in 10. When he pops up with a free kick or an assist he’s the b*llocks, when he’s bang average it’s the because of the players around him or the managers tactics/formation. Works hard but not a 10, not LW and not a CM.
Gylfi on 07:28 - Sep 18 with 1649 viewsKilkennyjack

Gylfi on 07:18 - Sep 18 by Jango

1 good game in 10. When he pops up with a free kick or an assist he’s the b*llocks, when he’s bang average it’s the because of the players around him or the managers tactics/formation. Works hard but not a 10, not LW and not a CM.

A 10 all day long.

Beware of the Risen People

Gylfi on 07:59 - Sep 18 with 1616 views34dfgdf54

Gylfi on 00:09 - Sep 18 by _

How any Swans supporter could be fed up of Gylfi is beyond me to be honest.

One of our best ever players.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 8:27]
Gylfi on 08:13 - Sep 18 with 1603 views_

Gylfi on 07:59 - Sep 18 by 34dfgdf54

How any Swans supporter could be fed up of Gylfi is beyond me to be honest.

One of our best ever players.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 8:27]

I will say this. But ask the question at the same time?

You will never see Siggy in a successful team, and I'm not talking about a team that's done well to avoid relegation or a national side that's beaten a bigger country. I mean a team that wins things.

Do you agree?

Anyone?

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Gylfi on 08:26 - Sep 18 with 1582 viewsJango

Gylfi on 07:28 - Sep 18 by Kilkennyjack

A 10 all day long.

You’re entitled to your opinion, I disagree. Not fast enough, not skillful enough and his goals and assists from open play back up my claims.
Login to get fewer ads

Gylfi on 08:27 - Sep 18 with 1582 views34dfgdf54

Gylfi on 08:13 - Sep 18 by _

You will never see Siggy in a successful team, and I'm not talking about a team that's done well to avoid relegation or a national side that's beaten a bigger country. I mean a team that wins things.

Do you agree?

Anyone?

I don't believe he's a top four player, or anywhere near world class. But for us, on the whole he was outstanding and will probably go down as one of, if not the best player who has ever played for us. I wasn't around in the Toshack days so the older lot on here could put other names forward obviously, but for me, he's right up there.

We made good money on him, which is the name of the game for clubs our size, but the failure in replacing him cost us our Premier League status.
Gylfi on 08:50 - Sep 18 with 1543 views_

Gylfi on 08:27 - Sep 18 by 34dfgdf54

I don't believe he's a top four player, or anywhere near world class. But for us, on the whole he was outstanding and will probably go down as one of, if not the best player who has ever played for us. I wasn't around in the Toshack days so the older lot on here could put other names forward obviously, but for me, he's right up there.

We made good money on him, which is the name of the game for clubs our size, but the failure in replacing him cost us our Premier League status.

You complete avoided the question

Gylfi on 09:21 - Sep 18 with 1504 views34dfgdf54

Gylfi on 08:50 - Sep 18 by _

You complete avoided the question

I thought I was making it pretty obvious from the first sentence I was agreeing with you.

But I don't judge him on that, I judge him on his time here, at a time we were a mid table Premier League club. Whether he can ever make it at a side whose expectation is to win trophies is completely irrelavant for me.
Gylfi on 10:31 - Sep 18 with 1451 viewsJackSomething

Do you agree?

Anyone?

You'd never have seen Leon Britton, Angel Rangel or Ferrie Bodde in a 'team that wins things' either. Does that mean they were as sh*t as Gylfi in your eyes?

Your attempts to defend how incredibly wrong about Gylfi and Llorente you were are hilarious. We all get things wrong, why not just own it?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Gylfi on 11:13 - Sep 18 with 1421 views_

Gylfi on 10:31 - Sep 18 by JackSomething

You'd never have seen Leon Britton, Angel Rangel or Ferrie Bodde in a 'team that wins things' either. Does that mean they were as sh*t as Gylfi in your eyes?

Your attempts to defend how incredibly wrong about Gylfi and Llorente you were are hilarious. We all get things wrong, why not just own it?

Ferrie was cut down with an injury so it's not fair to include him but the other 2 won the League Cup you facking imbecile

They were also a part of our promotion to the EPL which is no mean feat and can certainly be described as an honour.

The only thing Siggy can claim is player of the month FFS.

Hopeless, hopeless poster 😂

Gylfi on 11:15 - Sep 18 with 1416 views_

Gylfi on 09:21 - Sep 18 by 34dfgdf54

I thought I was making it pretty obvious from the first sentence I was agreeing with you.

But I don't judge him on that, I judge him on his time here, at a time we were a mid table Premier League club. Whether he can ever make it at a side whose expectation is to win trophies is completely irrelavant for me.

But it's not just that. The point here is, and the point the Everton fans are making is, you need to build a team around him for him to have any success.

But what happens when you do that is your team won't get any success - just him.

Have a long think about this first and see if it makes any sense to you.

Gylfi on 12:20 - Sep 18 with 1371 views34dfgdf54

Gylfi on 11:15 - Sep 18 by _

But it's not just that. The point here is, and the point the Everton fans are making is, you need to build a team around him for him to have any success.

But what happens when you do that is your team won't get any success - just him.

Have a long think about this first and see if it makes any sense to you.

I have no issues with that.

Wouldn't you agree we did that relatively well during his spell here though?

I don't understand what you mean when you say the team won't get any success, just him? The team had success when we had our highest place finish, for me every season we had that we avoided relegation, the team was successful. Llorente also had success on the back of Siggy, I'm not the best with memory but didn't Bony have his best spell here when he was linking up with Siggy? I may be wrong there mind.
Gylfi on 12:23 - Sep 18 with 1366 viewsploppy

Gylfi on 05:59 - Sep 18 by karnataka

Did he ever score with his head for us? I'm struggling to remember him doing so.

Against Man U at OT? I may be wrong.
Gylfi on 12:33 - Sep 18 with 1345 views_

Gylfi on 12:20 - Sep 18 by 34dfgdf54

I have no issues with that.

Wouldn't you agree we did that relatively well during his spell here though?

I don't understand what you mean when you say the team won't get any success, just him? The team had success when we had our highest place finish, for me every season we had that we avoided relegation, the team was successful. Llorente also had success on the back of Siggy, I'm not the best with memory but didn't Bony have his best spell here when he was linking up with Siggy? I may be wrong there mind.

Our eighth place finish is very similar to Burnley's last season. We had an uncannily disproportionate amount of chances to goals. Plus the ability to hold onto leads. You could definitely argue there's a success in that, but only to a certain degree.

And it certainly wouldn't be enough to win you anything.

I know I've got entrenched in my view, as have others defending him, but I stand by what brought this all to life a year and a half ago.

And that's quite clearly, he's not all that.

What he does have is the ability to stand out in bang average teams. But that's not going to take him or any team he's playing in very far.

Gylfi on 12:44 - Sep 18 with 1321 viewsLeonWasGod

Do you agree?

Anyone?

Agree.

But then you've moved your goalposts from 'he's shit and holding us back' to 'he isn't world class'.

Your early view is blatantly wrong. He was great for us and we were a lot worse off without him (proven).

Now if we're switching to 'he's not good enough for regular champions' then I completely agree. Nobody on here has ever claimed he was/is as far as I'm concerned.
Gylfi on 12:51 - Sep 18 with 1314 viewsMoscowJack

Gylfi on 12:44 - Sep 18 by LeonWasGod

Agree.

But then you've moved your goalposts from 'he's shit and holding us back' to 'he isn't world class'.

Your early view is blatantly wrong. He was great for us and we were a lot worse off without him (proven).

Now if we're switching to 'he's not good enough for regular champions' then I completely agree. Nobody on here has ever claimed he was/is as far as I'm concerned.

Gylfi's a steady player, but he's also a main part of the reason that we had to rely on his set pieces so much.

His work-rate is wonderful, but any team that he's in shouldn't expect him to be the creative spirit in open play - they'll need others to do that.

Edit: we might have stayed up had we kept Llorente and Gylfi, but is that the football we wanted to see? Watching us trying to get free kicks all over the park just to be able to smack it far post to Llorente was as far away from the old 'Swansea way' as we could have gone.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 12:53]

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Gylfi on 12:53 - Sep 18 with 1312 views_

Gylfi on 12:44 - Sep 18 by LeonWasGod

Agree.

Maybe I've taken for granted people can actually read and write on this message board but with your reply, maybe that's not the case!!

Where on heavens earth have I talked about world class FFS??

Even the regular bit?? Where did that come from?

No, I've not moved the goalposts one bit.

He's not world class, he's not a champion.

He's a bog standard lower half EPL player.

Gylfi on 13:08 - Sep 18 with 1277 viewsCooperman

Do you agree?

Anyone?

I agree that he will never be good enough for a Premier League top 6, Spanish top 3, Italian top 3 or Bayern.

But plenty of scope for him elsewhere if played in the correct position and formation.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Gylfi on 13:15 - Sep 18 with 1269 views_

Gylfi on 13:08 - Sep 18 by Cooperman

I agree that he will never be good enough for a Premier League top 6, Spanish top 3, Italian top 3 or Bayern.

But plenty of scope for him elsewhere if played in the correct position and formation.

Maybe, but he's 29 now and has won nothing and I don't think you'll ever see him in a team that's won something major, even one of the cups, or for example, getting Everton into the top 5 or 6.

And that correct position and formation is the reason why. Because he's no number 10 and when managers give him that chance in that position it's at the detriment of the rest of the team.

Gylfi on 13:17 - Sep 18 with 1266 viewsLeonWasGod

Gylfi on 12:53 - Sep 18 by _

Maybe I've taken for granted people can actually read and write on this message board but with your reply, maybe that's not the case!!

Where on heavens earth have I talked about world class FFS??

Even the regular bit?? Where did that come from?

No, I've not moved the goalposts one bit.

He's not world class, he's not a champion.

He's a bog standard lower half EPL player.

"A team that wins things". Things, plural. Regular winners. Which means the best teams. Which have the best players = world class players.

Bit of a jump I know. Maybe you can have shit players in the top teams?

He is bog standard lower-mid EPL, which was fine for us when that's where we were. Still contributed as much (if not more) than any other player in our time in the EPL. We missed him when he went.

But he's gone, let it go..... We've got Naughton as the driving force in the middle now
Gylfi on 13:23 - Sep 18 with 1253 viewsLeonWasGod

Gylfi on 12:51 - Sep 18 by MoscowJack

Gylfi's a steady player, but he's also a main part of the reason that we had to rely on his set pieces so much.

His work-rate is wonderful, but any team that he's in shouldn't expect him to be the creative spirit in open play - they'll need others to do that.

Edit: we might have stayed up had we kept Llorente and Gylfi, but is that the football we wanted to see? Watching us trying to get free kicks all over the park just to be able to smack it far post to Llorente was as far away from the old 'Swansea way' as we could have gone.

Assists goals, they all count. We didn't have to go route 1 though - he was perfectly capable of playing The Swansea Way under Brendan and then second time with Wilf. That's a managerial choice as much as anything (and symptomatic of the deterioration of the squad over time).

The trouble with Siggy is he's been over-analysed to death. Every little thing he did wrong or didn't do he got jumped on. No he wasn't always influential and yes he had his weaknesses. No player constantly makes a difference all match, every match. But over the course of a season he was consistently one of our better players. I find it hard to see how anyone could argue otherwise.
Gylfi on 13:30 - Sep 18 with 1240 views34dfgdf54

Gylfi on 12:51 - Sep 18 by MoscowJack

In regards to your edit, I don't think anyone thought we should have kept Siggy and Llorente originally, they both wanted to go and they money being offered left us with more than enough.

Problem was our recruitment team f*cked up massively and replaced with players nowhere near the standard required. Everyone on here has gone over this again and again, selling them was never the issue.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 13:36]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024