Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gylfi 16:48 - Sep 16 with 2541 viewspencoedjack

Great header
Gylfi on 13:34 - Sep 18 with 474 viewskarnataka

Gylfi on 12:23 - Sep 18 by ploppy

Against Man U at OT? I may be wrong.

Yes, think you're right, a cross from Barrow from the right iirc. Not quite in the same class as his Everton one though!
Gylfi on 13:38 - Sep 18 with 470 viewsMoscowJack

Gylfi on 13:23 - Sep 18 by LeonWasGod

Assists goals, they all count. We didn't have to go route 1 though - he was perfectly capable of playing The Swansea Way under Brendan and then second time with Wilf. That's a managerial choice as much as anything (and symptomatic of the deterioration of the squad over time).

The trouble with Siggy is he's been over-analysed to death. Every little thing he did wrong or didn't do he got jumped on. No he wasn't always influential and yes he had his weaknesses. No player constantly makes a difference all match, every match. But over the course of a season he was consistently one of our better players. I find it hard to see how anyone could argue otherwise.

I totally get where you're coming from but, if you took away his set-pieces, do you think he would have continually been picked (apart from the times when we were desperate and at the bottom of the league)?

Our best PL times were when we had more fluid players, like Hernandez, Routs an Dyer who were more skillful on the ball, quicker in thought and more creative. We quite often saw Gylfi moved out wide under Brendan and other managers because he was too limited to be a natural no.10.

I loved watching Gylfi play for us, but more for his effort and determination, rather than his silky skills. He came up with the odd 'wow' pass or superb finish but, in reality, the bread and butter of his game was an infectious work-rate and brilliant set pieces.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Gylfi on 13:40 - Sep 18 with 467 viewsploppy

Gylfi on 12:51 - Sep 18 by MoscowJack

Gylfi's a steady player, but he's also a main part of the reason that we had to rely on his set pieces so much.

His work-rate is wonderful, but any team that he's in shouldn't expect him to be the creative spirit in open play - they'll need others to do that.

Edit: we might have stayed up had we kept Llorente and Gylfi, but is that the football we wanted to see? Watching us trying to get free kicks all over the park just to be able to smack it far post to Llorente was as far away from the old 'Swansea way' as we could have gone.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 12:53]

Bravo, Sir.

It's quite interesting reading the Everton forum. He's (still) getting lots of criticism on there.

They've worked out that:
He doesn't affect the game enough
He scores a goal every now and then.
He hides from the ball
He's not a number 10
He runs around a lot without achieving anything
We've mugged them for £45m
Gylfi on 13:41 - Sep 18 with 467 views_

Gylfi on 13:38 - Sep 18 by MoscowJack

I totally get where you're coming from but, if you took away his set-pieces, do you think he would have continually been picked (apart from the times when we were desperate and at the bottom of the league)?

Our best PL times were when we had more fluid players, like Hernandez, Routs an Dyer who were more skillful on the ball, quicker in thought and more creative. We quite often saw Gylfi moved out wide under Brendan and other managers because he was too limited to be a natural no.10.

I loved watching Gylfi play for us, but more for his effort and determination, rather than his silky skills. He came up with the odd 'wow' pass or superb finish but, in reality, the bread and butter of his game was an infectious work-rate and brilliant set pieces.

Great post.

And Leon, have you read the Everton forum? They're saying exactly the same.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Gylfi on 14:13 - Sep 18 with 442 viewscostalotta

Gylfi on 08:13 - Sep 18 by _

I will say this. But ask the question at the same time?

You will never see Siggy in a successful team, and I'm not talking about a team that's done well to avoid relegation or a national side that's beaten a bigger country. I mean a team that wins things.

Do you agree?

Anyone?

There’s been an absolute ton of players who were very good that didn’t win or play for any for teams that did win things.

Shearer, le tissier, stevie G, Beardsley anyone could pick this list and keep adding to it.

Siggy is a very...very good player.
Gylfi on 14:21 - Sep 18 with 437 views_

Gylfi on 14:13 - Sep 18 by costalotta

There’s been an absolute ton of players who were very good that didn’t win or play for any for teams that did win things.

Shearer, le tissier, stevie G, Beardsley anyone could pick this list and keep adding to it.

Siggy is a very...very good player.

Is that the same Beardsley who won the title twice with one of them being a double with the fa Cup??

Or the same Champions League and Fa Cup winning Gerrard??

Geez.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Gylfi on 14:23 - Sep 18 with 436 views_

Or the EPL winning Shearer??

Gylfi on 14:31 - Sep 18 with 430 viewsLeonWasGod

Gylfi on 13:41 - Sep 18 by _

Great post.

And Leon, have you read the Everton forum? They're saying exactly the same.

He was great for us. He's gone.

Login to get fewer ads

Gylfi on 17:59 - Sep 18 with 376 viewsSPboy

Gylfi on 13:34 - Sep 18 by karnataka

Yes, think you're right, a cross from Barrow from the right iirc. Not quite in the same class as his Everton one though!

Think he got a header at Craven Cottage in his first spell in the 0-3 masterclass under Brendan
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024