Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Strongest XI 18:18 - Sep 19 with 6500 viewsjasper_T

We've used 25 players in the league in only 8 games this season, which is a remarkable number (in the Premier League we usually went through 21/22 every half season). Usually when that happens you'd assume the manager is a bit clueless and doesn't know who his good players are, but maybe the excessive injury issues we've had tell a different story.

We've had a good look at lots of them now, so if everyone was fit who actually makes it into our best 11 (or matchday 18)? How badly would we destroy the league if the team got a run of games?
Our Strongest XI on 20:31 - Sep 20 with 1128 viewsjasper_T

Our Strongest XI on 20:20 - Sep 20 by MoscowJack

My opinion's no different to yours.....it's just a guess, based on what we see.

You're stating that you think they won't sell more players as they need to maximise the value of their investment yet you don't agree that they could or should invest a bit to increase the chances of them getting back to where the very very big bucks are. That doesn't make sense.

There's nothing contradictory about owners wanting to maximise return/value of their investment without risk of making losses if it all goes wrong (which given their transfer record it more than likely would). Keeping the young lads on small wages, who can develop their talents and reputations here, fits with the approach shown so far. As does forcing out a few more of the senior players on big wages in January.

They would have to chuck in a fortune to give us a decent chance of going up first time. Half the league is running losses trying to guarantee the same thing. Villa almost went bust trying it, Bolton are a shambles etc. It's risky business.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2018 20:32]
Our Strongest XI on 20:31 - Sep 20 with 1123 views_

Our Strongest XI on 20:16 - Sep 20 by londonlisa2001

Well at least I’m declaring my position.

What about those who are not?

And there’s nothing personal. Seemingly it’s impossible to make any comment without being accused of being personal. Unless it’s made by those that really do have something personal in it all.

Like Jasper as an example.

So you're accusing Jasper of being who now then exactly?

Jesus, this is just pathetic. Is this what our Trust has become? A bunch of paranoid children accusing anyone that disagrees with them or quotes from a flipping newspaper that they're someone else??!

Beyond

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Our Strongest XI on 20:37 - Sep 20 with 1112 views_

Our Strongest XI on 20:20 - Sep 20 by MoscowJack

My opinion's no different to yours.....it's just a guess, based on what we see.

You're stating that you think they won't sell more players as they need to maximise the value of their investment yet you don't agree that they could or should invest a bit to increase the chances of them getting back to where the very very big bucks are. That doesn't make sense.

My opinion is based on fact and what I can see or have read.

It's not based on second guessing or reading between the lines or paranoia.

And I've never said they won't sell more. They stil WANT to sell a few notable players and no doubt they'll weigh up these factors again in January.

What I am saying is we're looking like we want to bring through our own players, develop them, allow a bright young manager to work with them and make them better and grow on the pitch to a degree we can challenge once more for promotion.

That's what I've said, not what you've written

But on the subject of them 'investing' more in the form of a loan, then no, that's the last thing I would want. I also think we've made the right call on Woods and we were right to hold off in the hope they'd drop the price down a million or two, especially after watching him in action.

I also believe there's a few quid for the right player(s) in January.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Our Strongest XI on 20:55 - Sep 20 with 1076 viewsMoscowJack

Our Strongest XI on 20:37 - Sep 20 by _

My opinion is based on fact and what I can see or have read.

It's not based on second guessing or reading between the lines or paranoia.

And I've never said they won't sell more. They stil WANT to sell a few notable players and no doubt they'll weigh up these factors again in January.

What I am saying is we're looking like we want to bring through our own players, develop them, allow a bright young manager to work with them and make them better and grow on the pitch to a degree we can challenge once more for promotion.

That's what I've said, not what you've written

But on the subject of them 'investing' more in the form of a loan, then no, that's the last thing I would want. I also think we've made the right call on Woods and we were right to hold off in the hope they'd drop the price down a million or two, especially after watching him in action.

I also believe there's a few quid for the right player(s) in January.

I'm not sure how many times you've contradicted yourself there.

The "bring through the kids" options wasn't out of choice - it was the only choice left. It could easily have backfired on them, in the usual ways of the Swans of old, but we've got lucky this time....and we're quite enjoying it. It still doesn't take away the fact that the Yanks sold anyone they could first and thought about the squad later, but I'm going to leave it now as there's no point in banging my head against a brick wall.

Ps I doubt there's a penny to spend in Jan and I'm sure we'll see 4, 5 or more leaving in deals as desperate as some of the ones we saw in the summer.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2018 20:57]

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Our Strongest XI on 21:39 - Sep 20 with 1024 views_

Our Strongest XI on 20:55 - Sep 20 by MoscowJack

The "bring through the kids" options wasn't out of choice - it was the only choice left. It could easily have backfired on them, in the usual ways of the Swans of old, but we've got lucky this time....and we're quite enjoying it. It still doesn't take away the fact that the Yanks sold anyone they could first and thought about the squad later, but I'm going to leave it now as there's no point in banging my head against a brick wall.

Ps I doubt there's a penny to spend in Jan and I'm sure we'll see 4, 5 or more leaving in deals as desperate as some of the ones we saw in the summer.

You'll have to show me a contradiction, even just the ONE??

You seem to think there's a blueprint for dealing with relegation, maybe because Newcastle went straight back up, or you watched Stoke gamble their future in front of your very eyes.

But we had to make drastic decisions. There were no ifs, buts or maybe's, this HAD to happen. We had to listen to any offers that came our way and we had to deal with it.

And to deal with it and as Potter said over and over again he wanted to assess what's already here.

And as soon as he walked through the door he assessed his squad. He didn't assess his senior squad and then the under 23's. He assessed them altogether.

These boys have been training with the first team for years, these boys have been winning games of football for fun and getting real success.

Their performances may have come as a shock to you and Lisa but they're not coming as a shock to the football management right through the club.

It's as plain as day everyone would've been over the moon had we gone out and bought Byers, Rodon (who Lisa had another dig at again) Roberts, Grimes, Fulton, James (who Lisa had another dig at again) but the fact we've brought them through is taking everyone a lot longer to deal with.

Our Strongest XI on 21:56 - Sep 20 with 1012 viewsjasper_T

Our Strongest XI on 20:55 - Sep 20 by MoscowJack

Using the academy was always the plan in the event of relegation. We've spent a lot of time and money bringing young players in and developing those we've had through the age groups, the cream that's risen to the top was always going to have a good chance of looking the part at this level.
Our Strongest XI on 22:20 - Sep 20 with 993 viewslondonlisa2001

Our Strongest XI on 21:39 - Sep 20 by _

You seem to think there's a blueprint for dealing with relegation, maybe because Newcastle went straight back up, or you watched Stoke gamble their future in front of your very eyes.

But we had to make drastic decisions. There were no ifs, buts or maybe's, this HAD to happen. We had to listen to any offers that came our way and we had to deal with it.

And to deal with it and as Potter said over and over again he wanted to assess what's already here.

And as soon as he walked through the door he assessed his squad. He didn't assess his senior squad and then the under 23's. He assessed them altogether.

These boys have been training with the first team for years, these boys have been winning games of football for fun and getting real success.

Their performances may have come as a shock to you and Lisa but they're not coming as a shock to the football management right through the club.

It's as plain as day everyone would've been over the moon had we gone out and bought Byers, Rodon (who Lisa had another dig at again) Roberts, Grimes, Fulton, James (who Lisa had another dig at again) but the fact we've brought them through is taking everyone a lot longer to deal with.

I didn’t have a dig at either Rodon or James. I said i wouldn’t choose James as part of our strongest 11. Guess what. Neither will Potter. As for Rodon, I said he had done well. But CCV may well end up as our first choice. Which may be the case. May not. We’ll have to wait and see. But after his performance against Stoke he doesn’t deserve to not be considered at least in that way.

You chose 11 - are the remaining players ones you are having a dig at?

You’re being utterly ridiculous.
Our Strongest XI on 22:30 - Sep 20 with 975 viewsMoscowJack

I've watched about 3/4 of the U23s games for the last year or two so had a reasonable idea about who could potentially step up and who probably wouldn't, but it's never as easy as that. I don't think many saw Ben Davies as a stand-out player for the U23s, but he was superb when he joined the first team.

Rodon was touted by many for great things, but I was very disappointed with him, if I'm honest. He stopped improving and it surprised many that he was looking pretty average for the last two seasons, even in a successful team.....yet he's been superb since he came into the first team this season.

Dan James is someone I've admired for ages - I just love his energy, pace and directness, so he was someone that everyone who watched the U23s could see was a good one, and the same can be said about George Byers too, but that's about it.

Connor wasn't a stand-out performer but his engine was noticeably good.

If you cornered Cameron Toshack and forced him to take a truth serum, I'm sure he'd say that there were about 3 who could maybe step up to the Championship, but probably as a support for very strong and more experienced pros and not the 'great white hope' that they've become.

Adding Connor (aged 22), Byers (aged 22) and Dan James (aged 20) to a good and experienced first team would be less of a risk and very understandable considering the outgoings that needed to be made, but if you honestly believe that the Yanks added Rodon (aged 20) Fulton (aged 23), Ollie (aged 22), Grimes (aged 23), Carter-Vickers (aged 20), Asoro (19), John (23), Dhanda (19) and Baker-Richardson (22) to the first team because they knew they would be able to step up immediately, then either you're lying or you believe the Yanks are suddenly 'soccer geniuses'. Even Mckay is only 23 and I haven't mentioned any of the others who've made the bench or played v Palace in the Carling Cup.

It was pure desperation and we could very easily be bottom of the league now. A lot less has happened to teams and they've been relegated.

I'm sure you'll disagree and that's your prerogative but I'm not 100% convinced that you believe what you're righting on here quite often.

Anyway, even if it was more luck than judgment, I can't remember being so proud after a defeat as I was against Stoke the other night. It still doesn't fit into your theory that the Yanks will back the club financially (by not selling anyone in January) though.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Login to get fewer ads

Our Strongest XI on 23:08 - Sep 20 with 937 views_

Our Strongest XI on 22:30 - Sep 20 by MoscowJack

I've watched about 3/4 of the U23s games for the last year or two so had a reasonable idea about who could potentially step up and who probably wouldn't, but it's never as easy as that. I don't think many saw Ben Davies as a stand-out player for the U23s, but he was superb when he joined the first team.

Rodon was touted by many for great things, but I was very disappointed with him, if I'm honest. He stopped improving and it surprised many that he was looking pretty average for the last two seasons, even in a successful team.....yet he's been superb since he came into the first team this season.

Dan James is someone I've admired for ages - I just love his energy, pace and directness, so he was someone that everyone who watched the U23s could see was a good one, and the same can be said about George Byers too, but that's about it.

Connor wasn't a stand-out performer but his engine was noticeably good.

If you cornered Cameron Toshack and forced him to take a truth serum, I'm sure he'd say that there were about 3 who could maybe step up to the Championship, but probably as a support for very strong and more experienced pros and not the 'great white hope' that they've become.

Adding Connor (aged 22), Byers (aged 22) and Dan James (aged 20) to a good and experienced first team would be less of a risk and very understandable considering the outgoings that needed to be made, but if you honestly believe that the Yanks added Rodon (aged 20) Fulton (aged 23), Ollie (aged 22), Grimes (aged 23), Carter-Vickers (aged 20), Asoro (19), John (23), Dhanda (19) and Baker-Richardson (22) to the first team because they knew they would be able to step up immediately, then either you're lying or you believe the Yanks are suddenly 'soccer geniuses'. Even Mckay is only 23 and I haven't mentioned any of the others who've made the bench or played v Palace in the Carling Cup.

It was pure desperation and we could very easily be bottom of the league now. A lot less has happened to teams and they've been relegated.

I'm sure you'll disagree and that's your prerogative but I'm not 100% convinced that you believe what you're righting on here quite often.

Anyway, even if it was more luck than judgment, I can't remember being so proud after a defeat as I was against Stoke the other night. It still doesn't fit into your theory that the Yanks will back the club financially (by not selling anyone in January) though.

You talk about these boys like they're children.

There's one reason and one reason only.why you're even mentioning it and that's because the EPL is an unforgiving place for anything bar the super talented or ready made stars.

It's not a league to slowly develop so the under 23's system has manifested.

If you were talking about players aged 16 and 17 I could see your point, but 20 to 23, no way.

And what you see watching a stream of an under 23 game and what professionals see is completely different.

Look, I don't think we overly planned to be without a recognised centre back or two, for instance, but on the other hand I don't think we felt we had to gamble and bring in just anyone because the fans were kicking off. There's more from the under 23's that will still step up. Everyone slagged off the bringing in of players for this group and everyone slagged off not having a plan for relegation.

Well that's as close you'll ever get to a plan in preparing for it and I'm hoping we're going to be looking back at this policy with enormous respect if they ultimately get us back up.

This is a time to regroup and enjoy. Not look back or keep looking for negatives.

Our Strongest XI on 05:45 - Sep 21 with 876 viewsCaptain_Sham

Our Strongest XI on 20:14 - Sep 20 by londonlisa2001

Yeah, rightio “Jasper”.

Shaky levels of paranoia. Rofl.

Its just a ride.

Our Strongest XI on 06:56 - Sep 21 with 860 viewssomersetsimon

Our Strongest XI on 15:24 - Sep 20 by awayjack

I’m not sure how much more evidence we need? Maybe people get confused by definition of a firesale. So to keep it simple if players are out main asset...
- Did we sell any players of value we were able to - yes.
- Would we have sold more if fitness permitted - yes.
- Will we sell any players of any value in January - yes.

Is the club going to make a profit while we are in the Championship? No
Our Strongest XI on 07:58 - Sep 21 with 828 viewsawayjack

Our Strongest XI on 16:36 - Sep 20 by jasper_T

Did we sell everyone we had an offer for? No.
Did we sell any young players on small contracts? No.
Did we spend money on players to strengthen the squad? Yes.

You somehow seem confident the Owners will invest in players rather than sell. Put your money where you mouth is. Despite the promise form Huw we’ve kept money back for Jan, if we spend more than we raise from player sales in Jan window, I’ll donate £100 to charity. Will you do the same if we raise more from sales than we spend?
Our Strongest XI on 08:20 - Sep 21 with 819 viewsCaptain_Sham

Our Strongest XI on 15:24 - Sep 20 by awayjack

I’m not sure how much more evidence we need? Maybe people get confused by definition of a firesale. So to keep it simple if players are out main asset...
- Did we sell any players of value we were able to - yes.
- Would we have sold more if fitness permitted - yes.
- Will we sell any players of any value in January - yes.

It seems you are the one who doesn't understand the definition of firesale.

"A fire sale is the sale of goods at extremely discounted prices. The term originated in reference to the sale of goods at a heavy discount due to fire damage. It may be defined as a closeout, the final sale of goods to ZERO INVENTORY."

I could have sworn we bought players ....
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 8:34]

Its just a ride.

Our Strongest XI on 09:14 - Sep 21 with 777 viewsmissingmel

Our Strongest XI on 16:36 - Sep 20 by jasper_T

Did we sell everyone we had an offer for? No.
Did we sell any young players on small contracts? No.
Did we spend money on players to strengthen the squad? Yes.

Are you all there!!
Our Strongest XI on 09:18 - Sep 21 with 771 viewsawayjack

Our Strongest XI on 08:20 - Sep 21 by Captain_Sham

It seems you are the one who doesn't understand the definition of firesale.

"A fire sale is the sale of goods at extremely discounted prices. The term originated in reference to the sale of goods at a heavy discount due to fire damage. It may be defined as a closeout, the final sale of goods to ZERO INVENTORY."

I could have sworn we bought players ....
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 8:34]

Oh ffs. My point is people are hiding behind definitions to avoid facts and Board apologists are using terminology to defend the position. We sold our most valuable players at below market value and only invested a very small proportion back into squad. That’s a fact. My opinion is we’ll sell more players of value in Jan. Grow up and focus on the serious issue our club have not fussing about text book definitions.
Our Strongest XI on 09:46 - Sep 21 with 768 viewsJackSomething

It's having a dig to suggest two players haven't done enough to be part of a strongest 11 in her opinion, but it's fine to call our top scorer 'Wardrobe' and all the abuse you aimed at our best player Gylfi?

You're being a little more subtle these days, but your constant attempts to undermine Lisa and the Trust are more than a tad obvious. Still not earning your keep, must do better you sell-out.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Our Strongest XI on 10:22 - Sep 21 with 745 viewsFireboy2

Our Strongest XI on 09:46 - Sep 21 by JackSomething

It's having a dig to suggest two players haven't done enough to be part of a strongest 11 in her opinion, but it's fine to call our top scorer 'Wardrobe' and all the abuse you aimed at our best player Gylfi?

You're being a little more subtle these days, but your constant attempts to undermine Lisa and the Trust are more than a tad obvious. Still not earning your keep, must do better you sell-out.

He will surely blow his top soon JS

Cant wait
Our Strongest XI on 11:00 - Sep 21 with 728 viewsjasper_T

Our Strongest XI on 07:58 - Sep 21 by awayjack

You somehow seem confident the Owners will invest in players rather than sell. Put your money where you mouth is. Despite the promise form Huw we’ve kept money back for Jan, if we spend more than we raise from player sales in Jan window, I’ll donate £100 to charity. Will you do the same if we raise more from sales than we spend?

You've misunderstood my belief. We will absolutely sell more players in January, if possible. More big earners will go when we find people willing to take them. Routledge, Dyer, Narsingh and Bony represent financial drains far in excess of their contributions and what a sustainable Championship club can afford.

My assertion is simply that we're not selling indiscriminately and for any offer on the table. We won't be flogging Celina, Rodon, Roberts and McBurnie for a couple quid or anything daft like that.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 11:02]
Our Strongest XI on 13:01 - Sep 21 with 694 views_

Our Strongest XI on 09:18 - Sep 21 by awayjack

Oh ffs. My point is people are hiding behind definitions to avoid facts and Board apologists are using terminology to defend the position. We sold our most valuable players at below market value and only invested a very small proportion back into squad. That’s a fact. My opinion is we’ll sell more players of value in Jan. Grow up and focus on the serious issue our club have not fussing about text book definitions.

You don't understand stuff mate.

Our Strongest XI on 13:02 - Sep 21 with 693 views_

Our Strongest XI on 09:46 - Sep 21 by JackSomething

You're a sad little bloke aye.

Have a look at this guy's posting history, he only comes on here to reply to me

Our Strongest XI on 13:04 - Sep 21 with 691 views_

Our Strongest XI on 11:00 - Sep 21 by jasper_T

You've misunderstood my belief. We will absolutely sell more players in January, if possible. More big earners will go when we find people willing to take them. Routledge, Dyer, Narsingh and Bony represent financial drains far in excess of their contributions and what a sustainable Championship club can afford.

My assertion is simply that we're not selling indiscriminately and for any offer on the table. We won't be flogging Celina, Rodon, Roberts and McBurnie for a couple quid or anything daft like that.

Sensible post.

Won't go down well with the thickos on here

Our Strongest XI on 14:38 - Sep 21 with 667 viewsshandyjack

I'm all for getting those four off the wage bill, that's a reported £230K. Can't see how anyone wouldn't see this as sensible.

Poll: Expectation for the season

Our Strongest XI on 22:59 - Sep 21 with 625 viewsElmo

Our Strongest XI on 20:16 - Sep 20 by londonlisa2001

Well at least I’m declaring my position.

What about those who are not?

And there’s nothing personal. Seemingly it’s impossible to make any comment without being accused of being personal. Unless it’s made by those that really do have something personal in it all.

Like Jasper as an example.

The irony.

Not sure what's going on here but despite numerous objective questions on Financial matters you seem to take it personally if you are unable to answer basic stuff.

Nobody is interested in your personal agenda/opinion. An objective response from the Finance Affiliate is all that matters right now.

If not, what's the alternative ? Open dialogue with the Club board from us fans on the street to shed some transparency ?
Our Strongest XI on 08:13 - Sep 22 with 588 viewsawayjack

Fair enough and agree we have little choice but to get rid of high earners like Bony if we can.
We have 3 months to give squad 100% support without too much transfer distraction and hopefully we can get a few like Rodon and Roberts to extend contacts well before then.
Our Strongest XI on 09:00 - Sep 22 with 579 viewsdameedna

Our Strongest XI on 09:18 - Sep 21 by awayjack

We have invested in the squad for five years and developed top tier facilities. These facilities support losing our first team and surviving a low revenue environment with a coach with matching credentials.

We were stretched by Preston and Bristol but in all other games we have looked dominant for long periods and seem to be in a situation where we could field a team with no EPL experience.

One game at a time... a decent squad ....and a good coach. Wheels could easily come off with a thrashing at Boro but I dont see that happening.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024