Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alcoholism 10:22 - Sep 20 with 3451 viewsomarjack

It's a cancer that eats through your life. Alienates your loved ones and turns you into a shell of who you used to be.

Sobriety, inspirational stories are welcomed here.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2018 10:22]

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Alcoholism on 20:58 - Sep 20 with 1182 viewscackinthesackjack

I didnt have any issue with alcohol but wanted to cut down anyway.

I read Allan Car's Easy way to control alcohol and I rarely drink these days.

I'd recommend it as a read

Poll: To replace or not to replace Garry Monk?

Alcoholism on 21:05 - Sep 20 with 1172 viewsbyron

Alcoholism on 20:36 - Sep 20 by Gowerjack

I think it's all relative and each individual,has a different tolerance for and risk of addiction to alcohol.

I'm 54 I started drinking regularly at 15.

I used to drink probably between 5 - 6 bottles of wine a week plus a few beers almost all drunk from a Thursday to Sunday.

I thought this was too much and stopped completely , I've not had a drink at all this year.

I don't really feel any different but my blood pressure has dropped and I sleep like a baby. Can't say I miss the hangovers either !

But that's just my personal experience as I say we're all different!

I think things like this are defined by the question, does it affect your life in a negative way? If no then carry on, if it does affect things/people around you in a negative way then it’s an issue. My father in law has drunk at least 4 to 6 cans every night he says since his early 20’s, used to smoke 30 a day up until 60 too. He just turned 70 and still does 6 cans a night, always in the house nowadays. He will never stop. The odd night off if ill or in hospital. Did used to affect his kids and wife but they survived.

Benny

Alcoholism on 23:16 - Sep 20 with 1100 viewscontroversial_jack

Alcoholism on 21:05 - Sep 20 by byron

I think things like this are defined by the question, does it affect your life in a negative way? If no then carry on, if it does affect things/people around you in a negative way then it’s an issue. My father in law has drunk at least 4 to 6 cans every night he says since his early 20’s, used to smoke 30 a day up until 60 too. He just turned 70 and still does 6 cans a night, always in the house nowadays. He will never stop. The odd night off if ill or in hospital. Did used to affect his kids and wife but they survived.

Millions worldwide drink alcohol without any ill effects whatsoever, and take recreational drugs
Alcoholism on 06:58 - Sep 21 with 1016 viewsSirjohnalot

Alcoholism on 18:06 - Sep 20 by taffpunk

I drink 4 pints just about every day Mon-Friday, a fair bit more on the weekend, probably 6-8 pints a day. I don't go out to GET drunk, and hardly ever get into a state. I go out for the social side of it which I still enjoy,also I can go without drink easily,and never drink in the house. Would others consider me an alcoholic?

In all seriousness, I’d say you do have a problem yes, if you’re drinking every day. When you say you can go without it, how long have you gone both without drinking or, maybe more importantly, thinking about It ?
Alcoholism on 08:07 - Sep 21 with 973 viewstaffpunk

Alcoholism on 06:58 - Sep 21 by Sirjohnalot

In all seriousness, I’d say you do have a problem yes, if you’re drinking every day. When you say you can go without it, how long have you gone both without drinking or, maybe more importantly, thinking about It ?

I did mention in another post that I had 3 days off booze two weeks ago, and approx three months ago I went without a drink for a fortnight. I didn't miss it in the slightest.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Alcoholism on 08:28 - Sep 21 with 956 viewsSirjohnalot

Alcoholism on 08:07 - Sep 21 by taffpunk

I did mention in another post that I had 3 days off booze two weeks ago, and approx three months ago I went without a drink for a fortnight. I didn't miss it in the slightest.

Yes, sorry, I replied before I read all the posts
Alcoholism on 13:26 - Sep 21 with 898 viewspeenemunde

Alcoholism on 16:04 - Sep 20 by Jackfath

There are many, many people who are alcohol dependent. I am continually amazed at the number of people who "have to" drink alcohol every night, even if it's a glass of wine or a can of lager.

There are also many people who want congratulations from all for going a month without alcohol in the ever increasingly trendy "dry months".

Worrying.

A bit pointless going sober in October, if you are pi$$ed up for the other 11 months.
That’s another example of “pi$$ing in the wind”.
Alcoholism on 19:12 - Sep 21 with 836 viewsbyron

Alcoholism on 08:07 - Sep 21 by taffpunk

Hey taff, just wondering if there was a reason you had 2 weeks off? And if you didn’t miss it at all, why go back? Aswell as being expensive to drink out it does boring also. Up until having kids 7 years ago I used to go out a lot, help org nights etc but after 20 years of it I’d had enough anyway.
Have you got a family?

Benny

Login to get fewer ads

Alcoholism on 19:21 - Sep 21 with 834 viewsJackfath

Alcoholism on 13:26 - Sep 21 by peenemunde

A bit pointless going sober in October, if you are pi$$ed up for the other 11 months.
That’s another example of “pi$$ing in the wind”.

You're telling the wrong person.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Alcoholism on 19:24 - Sep 21 with 832 viewspeenemunde

Alcoholism on 19:21 - Sep 21 by Jackfath

You're telling the wrong person.

Ummmm no I’m telling you, not because you drink to excess, but because you mentioned - that silly gimmick “sober October”.
Alcoholism on 19:29 - Sep 21 with 830 viewsJackfath

Alcoholism on 19:24 - Sep 21 by peenemunde

Ummmm no I’m telling you, not because you drink to excess, but because you mentioned - that silly gimmick “sober October”.

No I didn't.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Alcoholism on 19:31 - Sep 21 with 825 viewspeenemunde

Alcoholism on 19:29 - Sep 21 by Jackfath

No I didn't.

Ok. The words you used were “trendy months”.
Alcoholism on 19:32 - Sep 21 with 825 viewsJackfath

Alcoholism on 19:31 - Sep 21 by peenemunde

Ok. The words you used were “trendy months”.

Apology accepted.

Alcoholism on 19:34 - Sep 21 with 821 viewspeenemunde

Alcoholism on 19:32 - Sep 21 by Jackfath

Apology accepted.

I didn’t apologise.
Alcoholism on 19:40 - Sep 21 with 817 viewsJackfath

Alcoholism on 19:34 - Sep 21 by peenemunde

I didn’t apologise.

...or make a worthwhile addition to a sensitive thread.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 19:49]

Alcoholism on 19:48 - Sep 21 with 807 viewstaffpunk

Alcoholism on 19:12 - Sep 21 by byron

Hey taff, just wondering if there was a reason you had 2 weeks off? And if you didn’t miss it at all, why go back? Aswell as being expensive to drink out it does boring also. Up until having kids 7 years ago I used to go out a lot, help org nights etc but after 20 years of it I’d had enough anyway.
Have you got a family?

Just do it now and then, possibly to prove that I can? My kids are adults-late 20's early 30's. I like going out with friends, I'm a social drinker though fully accept that I'm spending too much on drink-5 grand a year-ouch!

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Alcoholism on 19:49 - Sep 21 with 800 viewspeenemunde

Alcoholism on 19:40 - Sep 21 by Jackfath

...or make a worthwhile addition to a sensitive thread.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 19:49]

Are you drunk
Alcoholism on 19:50 - Sep 21 with 797 viewsJackfath

Alcoholism on 19:49 - Sep 21 by peenemunde

Are you drunk

No.

Alcoholism on 19:55 - Sep 21 with 790 viewspeenemunde

Alcoholism on 19:50 - Sep 21 by Jackfath

No.

It’s not sensitivity that’s needed.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions - say things as they are. Drinking in moderation is fine, binge drinking or alcoholism is very dangerous, but hay-ho people already know this.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2018 19:57]
Alcoholism on 20:10 - Sep 21 with 769 viewslifelong

Alcoholism on 19:24 - Sep 21 by peenemunde

I mentioned Sober October, I think it’s a good idea to give your liver a break from alcohol howerever much you drink.
I shall be doing it. 👍
Alcoholism on 22:33 - Sep 21 with 713 viewsFieryJack

Alcoholism on 20:10 - Sep 21 by lifelong

I mentioned Sober October, I think it’s a good idea to give your liver a break from alcohol howerever much you drink.
I shall be doing it. 👍

As it happens I've just got back from a holiday in Germany, Austria & the Czech Republic.

These 3 countries top the list of the biggest beer drinking nations in the world - with the Czechs way out in front (for the 26th year in a row), consuming an incredible 37.5 gallons of beer per head of population.*

Somehow I managed to limit myself to 3 or 4 beers a night - mainly because I was too stuffed with goulash, dumplings & strudel to drink anymore.

* refers specifically to beer. The hard core consumers of alcohol, obviously, lie further east in Lithuania, Poland, Ukraine, Russia etc.
Alcoholism on 22:59 - Sep 21 with 702 viewsomarjack

I've started this thread because I wanted to bring attention to a problem that consumed me, and almost destroyed my life and all my relationships.

I had phases where I would binge drink 5 10% vol beers in a take (sometimes it's hard alcohol or wine or vodka energy drinks or whatever I could get my hands on), throw up and make an @ss of myself and cry myself of shame and misery..this went on almost everyday for years..

I'm happy to say that I've overcome this madness, and nowadays I'm drinking like 2 lightish beers every 2 weeks or so. I've pulled my sh!t together and started functioning again.

I've drank to deal with emotional problems, it helped momentarily. But when the buzz is over it was utter hell which made me crave for more and so on..

Pain is still there, but drowning it with alcohol is pointless. There are healthier ways to deal with it that's for sure.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Alcoholism on 09:53 - Sep 22 with 590 viewsbyron

Alcoholism on 22:59 - Sep 21 by omarjack

I've started this thread because I wanted to bring attention to a problem that consumed me, and almost destroyed my life and all my relationships.

I had phases where I would binge drink 5 10% vol beers in a take (sometimes it's hard alcohol or wine or vodka energy drinks or whatever I could get my hands on), throw up and make an @ss of myself and cry myself of shame and misery..this went on almost everyday for years..

I'm happy to say that I've overcome this madness, and nowadays I'm drinking like 2 lightish beers every 2 weeks or so. I've pulled my sh!t together and started functioning again.

I've drank to deal with emotional problems, it helped momentarily. But when the buzz is over it was utter hell which made me crave for more and so on..

Pain is still there, but drowning it with alcohol is pointless. There are healthier ways to deal with it that's for sure.

Good for you to see the light, it’s a long dark tunnel that will always be there though, the curse of all vices. I trust you have dealt with the issues that caused you to drink?

Benny

Alcoholism on 10:36 - Sep 22 with 569 viewscontroversial_jack

Alcoholism on 22:59 - Sep 21 by omarjack

Most addicts, alcoholics, and i'm not suggesting you are, drink to overcome or forget their past life or their problems.

The problem isn't the drink or drug itself - as any drug will do, but the underlying problems, drinkers, users are trying to escape from
Alcoholism on 11:48 - Sep 22 with 546 viewsnantywatcher

Alcoholism on 10:36 - Sep 22 by controversial_jack

Most addicts, alcoholics, and i'm not suggesting you are, drink to overcome or forget their past life or their problems.

The problem isn't the drink or drug itself - as any drug will do, but the underlying problems, drinkers, users are trying to escape from

Addiction , alcohol and otherwise is far more complex than that. Most people drift into addiction which then creates problems that only the alcohol can placate. It's a vicious circle that spirals out of control. One statistic to bear in mind when you consume alcohol - your liver performs 500 different functions in your body, every drop of alcohol disturbs that organ. 500 different functions!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024