Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alcoholism 10:22 - Sep 20 with 3450 viewsomarjack

It's a cancer that eats through your life. Alienates your loved ones and turns you into a shell of who you used to be.

Sobriety, inspirational stories are welcomed here.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2018 10:22]

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Alcoholism on 10:58 - Sep 20 with 1832 viewssquarebear

I’ve not had a lot of exposure to alcoholics. The only one I know lives abroad so I barely see him.

It’s the thin end of the wedge but on those days (Fri/Sat/Sun) I permit myself a couple of beers I always spare a thought for those reformed drinkers who can’t share the sheer joy of a spontaneous swifty straight from work, or sitting by the beach, or wherever, with whoever. It’s like being barred from a really great club. Good luck to them in finding an alternative pursuit.

There was a story in the Evening Post about a guy who got through three litres of vodka a day. I didn’t read it (I’m pretty hardened to such desperate media tales) but three litres of beer a day is likely to mean someone has a problem, never mind consuming that much in spirits.
Alcoholism on 13:11 - Sep 20 with 1738 viewsSgorioFruit

i wonder if SgorioFruit likes a drink

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Alcoholism on 14:34 - Sep 20 with 1674 viewsbyron

Seems to be rife these days, maybe it always was? The older gen drink the most apparently ie more Reg. With pubs being so expensive now compared to having a few at home, 2 pints at home or a 12 pack of bottles in the fridge?
Think life is quite tough and somewhat depressing for many people in the uk and a few drinks is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. My mother is an alcoholic, so was her brother and sister and mother and father. She doesn’t even know why she drinks, she just always has to help the worry of life. The irony being she never had a single thing to worry about as my dad provided for her completely. Always been very aware of the genetic side of it but it’s not a vice I tend to go for.
Know plenty of parents of young kids who think nothing of putting away a bottle or 2 a night, the stress of kids and all that, kids, they ironically wanted.

Benny

Alcoholism on 14:51 - Sep 20 with 1653 viewsCatullus

My mother was alcoholic and it is a terrible thing. It can destroy families and friendships and your health.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Alcoholism on 16:04 - Sep 20 with 1592 viewsJackfath

There are many, many people who are alcohol dependent. I am continually amazed at the number of people who "have to" drink alcohol every night, even if it's a glass of wine or a can of lager.

There are also many people who want congratulations from all for going a month without alcohol in the ever increasingly trendy "dry months".

Worrying.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Alcoholism on 16:30 - Sep 20 with 1551 viewsMo_Wives

It's a disease. I remember how I felt when I first heard Randy Marsh had it.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Alcoholism on 16:31 - Sep 20 with 1549 viewslifelong

Alcoholism on 16:04 - Sep 20 by Jackfath

There are many, many people who are alcohol dependent. I am continually amazed at the number of people who "have to" drink alcohol every night, even if it's a glass of wine or a can of lager.

There are also many people who want congratulations from all for going a month without alcohol in the ever increasingly trendy "dry months".

Worrying.

‘Sober October’ is here shortly.
Alcoholism on 17:32 - Sep 20 with 1506 viewsJackfath

Alcoholism on 16:31 - Sep 20 by lifelong

I look forward to hearing all about it from alcohol dependants.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Login to get fewer ads

Alcoholism on 17:43 - Sep 20 with 1491 viewsnantywatcher

Alcoholism on 16:31 - Sep 20 by lifelong

The randomness of the illness is frightening. You can have twin brothers go out together, knock eight pints each. One brother can then go weeks without anything more than an odd pint every few days; the other brother with the "X factor" cannot get through even 24 hours without the desperate need to top up. Being addicted to alcohol is nothing to do with volume, I've met people who are in the same bad state mentally needing one bottle of wine a night compared to the guy who cannot get through the day without consuming six bottles of wine. If you think a friend, a relative or a colleague has this illness reach out to them. Within this area there are dozens of charities that can help addicts rebuild their lives, ten seconds on Google is all it will take. PM me if want any further information or help.
Alcoholism on 17:44 - Sep 20 with 1490 viewsShaky

I used to drink 3-4 bottles of wine every day. 1 and a bit at lunch time, then the rest in the evening, plus whatever else came my way if I was staying out late.

Then when iI left the City, I pretty much stopped dead. No sweat.

But when I came off my +12 cup a day strong black coffee habit, I was in a cold sweat on the couch for 2 days solid.

Don't do coffee kidz.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Alcoholism on 18:06 - Sep 20 with 1462 viewstaffpunk

I drink 4 pints just about every day Mon-Friday, a fair bit more on the weekend, probably 6-8 pints a day. I don't go out to GET drunk, and hardly ever get into a state. I go out for the social side of it which I still enjoy,also I can go without drink easily,and never drink in the house. Would others consider me an alcoholic?

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Alcoholism on 18:16 - Sep 20 with 1440 viewslifelong

Alcoholism on 18:06 - Sep 20 by taffpunk

I drink 4 pints just about every day Mon-Friday, a fair bit more on the weekend, probably 6-8 pints a day. I don't go out to GET drunk, and hardly ever get into a state. I go out for the social side of it which I still enjoy,also I can go without drink easily,and never drink in the house. Would others consider me an alcoholic?

I would say you’re quite a heavy drinker and not necessarily a alcoholic, it must be costing you a small fortune.
Alcoholism on 18:24 - Sep 20 with 1431 viewsJackfath

When was the last time you absconded and for how long?

Alcoholism on 18:28 - Sep 20 with 1418 viewsProfessor

It probably would make the definition, but as you say plenty of people drink 4 pints or a bottle or so of wine daily and lead a productive life. Not the best for health but a bit less boring. I don’t drink every day and rarely more than 3 beers or a bottle of red even on a weekend now. Like you when I lived in the Rhondda it would be 8 on a Friday and Saturday, with 4 or 5 on Sunday and Wednesday . Drank less when I went to University
Alcoholism on 18:37 - Sep 20 with 1400 viewstaffpunk

Alcoholism on 18:24 - Sep 20 by Jackfath

When was the last time you absconded and for how long?

A fortnight ago, I didn't drink Tuesday to Thursday. I'm 56, probably walk 10 miles a day, still play 5 a side football, and feel reasonably healthy tbh. Like I said I never drink at home, and don't go out to get drunk. I've gone 2 weeks without a swig fairly recently, and didn't miss it in the slightest.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Alcoholism on 18:38 - Sep 20 with 1397 viewslifelong

Took my Grandson to a birthday party in a local social club last Sunday between 12 and 2pm, there were 8 or 9 men in the bar having a pint.
My mind went back to what it was like, in similar clubs, in the 60’s and early 70’s, on Sunday afternoons.
They used to be packed with men drinking between 6-8 pints, many of them would return later the same evening and drink a similar amount.
Alcoholism on 19:08 - Sep 20 with 1347 viewstaffpunk

Alcoholism on 18:16 - Sep 20 by lifelong

I would say you’re quite a heavy drinker and not necessarily a alcoholic, it must be costing you a small fortune.

Yeah, that's the main problem tbh. I spend a ton on booze a week, need to get that down a fair bit. Wealth not health is my concern at the moment.

Alcoholism on 19:11 - Sep 20 with 1335 viewstaffpunk

Alcoholism on 18:28 - Sep 20 by Professor

It probably would make the definition, but as you say plenty of people drink 4 pints or a bottle or so of wine daily and lead a productive life. Not the best for health but a bit less boring. I don’t drink every day and rarely more than 3 beers or a bottle of red even on a weekend now. Like you when I lived in the Rhondda it would be 8 on a Friday and Saturday, with 4 or 5 on Sunday and Wednesday . Drank less when I went to University

Valleys life, I still love going out for a drink and meeting friends.

Alcoholism on 19:14 - Sep 20 with 1326 viewspeenemunde

Alcoholism on 18:37 - Sep 20 by taffpunk

A fortnight ago, I didn't drink Tuesday to Thursday. I'm 56, probably walk 10 miles a day, still play 5 a side football, and feel reasonably healthy tbh. Like I said I never drink at home, and don't go out to get drunk. I've gone 2 weeks without a swig fairly recently, and didn't miss it in the slightest.

If you went two weeks without a drink, you probably aren’t an alcoholic.
You are just someone who has a habit of going into a pub.
If you want to cut down on drinking, why not spend more time doing things of interest to you apart from going into the pub.
Alcoholism on 19:40 - Sep 20 with 1274 viewsbuilthjack

I enjoy a pint, but rarely go out. A good sesh, about 10-12 pints every 2 or 3 months. Stick to Guinness and no headache. Other than that it's just the odd pint or two if out for. a meal, or after a meeting.
When young and single it was 4 or 5 nights a week, and up for work at 6.
I wouldn't be much good doing 2 nights running these days.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Alcoholism on 19:49 - Sep 20 with 1260 viewstaffpunk

Alcoholism on 19:40 - Sep 20 by builthjack

I enjoy a pint, but rarely go out. A good sesh, about 10-12 pints every 2 or 3 months. Stick to Guinness and no headache. Other than that it's just the odd pint or two if out for. a meal, or after a meeting.
When young and single it was 4 or 5 nights a week, and up for work at 6.
I wouldn't be much good doing 2 nights running these days.

I completely get where your coming from, but won't you be cheesed off when local Pubs/Clubs close down because no-ones going there?

Alcoholism on 19:49 - Sep 20 with 1260 viewsexiledclaseboy

Just one day a week for me these days, save for special occasions. I do enjoy my Saturday swig though.

Poll: Tory leader

Alcoholism on 20:16 - Sep 20 with 1202 viewsbyron

Probably mate, but I know people the same, functioning alcoholics as they say these days. It’s only an issue really if you can’t stop

Benny

Alcoholism on 20:32 - Sep 20 with 1178 viewspeenemunde

Alcoholism on 20:16 - Sep 20 by byron

Probably mate, but I know people the same, functioning alcoholics as they say these days. It’s only an issue really if you can’t stop

Ummm not really though is it.
Even if you aren’t addicted but still consume a lot of alcohol, you run the risk of serious illnesses like type two diabetes, high blood pressure etc and many more.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2018 20:39]
Alcoholism on 20:36 - Sep 20 with 1173 viewsGowerjack

I think it's all relative and each individual,has a different tolerance for and risk of addiction to alcohol.

I'm 54 I started drinking regularly at 15.

I used to drink probably between 5 - 6 bottles of wine a week plus a few beers almost all drunk from a Thursday to Sunday.

I thought this was too much and stopped completely , I've not had a drink at all this year.

I don't really feel any different but my blood pressure has dropped and I sleep like a baby. Can't say I miss the hangovers either !

But that's just my personal experience as I say we're all different!

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024