Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What are we missing and what's to come... 21:57 - Sep 23 with 5360 views_

I think we need to look back on this question after the next 9 or 10 games.

We've got off to a strong, steady start, we're very composed at the back and our un-fashionable players are really staking a claim for their positions.

The last 2 away games we should have had 2 points and they are going to be up there among the hardest away games we'll have all season. They're out the way now and we've got some clearer roads ahead - at least on paper.

I think this run of games coming up is where we should really put all the good things we've taken from the first set of games and really put the pedal to the metal and get at teams high up the pitch - especially our home games.

Dyer and Routs are off the mark and have some much needed minutes under their belt and at home against the weaker teams they could really hurt them. Hopefully we'll see some calm in the ranks in terms of injuries and a run of games with an XI that we can start to describe as our best one.

I think we can go 442 or 4411 in this league, especially at home

------------------- Mulder --------------------
--------------- VdH ---- Rodon ---------------
Roberts ------------------------------ Olsson
---------------- Fer----- Grimes ---------------
Dyer ------------------------------------- Routs
--------------- Celina ---------------------------
------------------- McBurnie -------------------

And this is being really harsh on Naughton not picking him but on the other hand would make our bench really strong and with great options. No doubt Potter would rotate our forward 4 or 5 and this will bring great versatility. Every one can do a job for us on their day. I'm hoping there's some good days ahead.

Throw Bony into the mix and I think we're well on our way to a promotion challenging squad, especially if Potter identifies some targets in January and we get them. (let's not hijack debate with that one comment though, eh!?)

Bench/Squad:

Nordvelt
Declan John
Carter-Vickers
Naughton
Fulton
Carroll
Byers
Asoro
Mckay
Yan Dhanda
Dan James

If most are honest i'm sure you'll agree our squad is a pretty good one all in all and going in the right direction. There's a lot to like with the players listed above.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

What are we missing and what's to come... on 15:09 - Sep 24 with 1098 viewsshandyjack

What are we missing and what's to come... on 15:06 - Sep 24 by jack247

They aren’t that naive surely. Sellable yes, but not at anywhere near what they paid for him, particularly on high wages.

Their intentions will become clear over the next year or two. I hope you are right.

a big gamble and it didn't pay off, every football club makes them. Unfortuantely we seem to have made a few big mistakes over last 3/4 years. But the blame there lies with Huw not the owners, they trusted him to make the signings, no one can argue they haven't made money available, it's the poor way it's been spent.

Poll: Expectation for the season

What are we missing and what's to come... on 15:12 - Sep 24 with 1092 viewsjack247

What are we missing and what's to come... on 15:03 - Sep 24 by jasper_T

You think they should have given up in January, then? Terrible signing, obviously (even at the time) but spending to try to stay in the money league is understandable. Every club in the muck makes panic signings.

Aren't they already being accused of worse than "taking the piss" with their transfer policy? If the evil American hedge fund just wanted to bleed the club of as much money as possible why would they care about a little more hostility from supporters?

With hindsight, they shouldn’t have bought players they couldn’t afford. Though I did want us to spend in January, I didn’t know quite how severe the impact of relegation would be.

I haven’t said they are bleeding us dry (or called them evil) I’ve said it looks to me like they are running us like a bad debt for their hedge fund.

What makes you think they care about hostility from supporters?
What are we missing and what's to come... on 15:15 - Sep 24 with 1085 viewsjack247

What are we missing and what's to come... on 15:09 - Sep 24 by shandyjack

a big gamble and it didn't pay off, every football club makes them. Unfortuantely we seem to have made a few big mistakes over last 3/4 years. But the blame there lies with Huw not the owners, they trusted him to make the signings, no one can argue they haven't made money available, it's the poor way it's been spent.

For a start, that’s a huge mistake in itself. He’d already proven beyond reasonable debt that signing players wasn’t his forte.

But then, what can you expect from the people who put Bob Bradley in charge of a Premier League team.
What are we missing and what's to come... on 15:48 - Sep 24 with 1051 views_

What are we missing and what's to come... on 14:54 - Sep 24 by jack247

If they were being responsible, they wouldn’t have signed Andre Ayew for a massive fee on huge wages when we looked more likely than not to go down.

It would be flat out taking the piss to go into the season with no senior striker and no creativity in midfield.

I think that's ridiculously unfair.

They tried their hardest to keep us in the league. After West Ham it was looking like a great move.

And let's face it we should've stayed up, no questions. We went on a dismal run but you've got to cut them some slack for trying to keep us up.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:00 - Sep 24 with 1030 viewsjasper_T

What are we missing and what's to come... on 15:12 - Sep 24 by jack247

With hindsight, they shouldn’t have bought players they couldn’t afford. Though I did want us to spend in January, I didn’t know quite how severe the impact of relegation would be.

I haven’t said they are bleeding us dry (or called them evil) I’ve said it looks to me like they are running us like a bad debt for their hedge fund.

What makes you think they care about hostility from supporters?

We could afford them all if we'd won a game in the last couple months of the season. It was a close run thing.

"I genuinely think they are looking to minimise their losses as much as possible"
"If Levein and Kaplan are treating us like a bad debt for their syndicate, then not so great. You could easily argue either way at the moment."

Is this an "I'm not saying they're bleeding us dry, I'm just asking questions!" sort of thing?
[Post edited 24 Sep 2018 16:01]
What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:15 - Sep 24 with 1019 viewsjack247

What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:00 - Sep 24 by jasper_T

We could afford them all if we'd won a game in the last couple months of the season. It was a close run thing.

"I genuinely think they are looking to minimise their losses as much as possible"
"If Levein and Kaplan are treating us like a bad debt for their syndicate, then not so great. You could easily argue either way at the moment."

Is this an "I'm not saying they're bleeding us dry, I'm just asking questions!" sort of thing?
[Post edited 24 Sep 2018 16:01]

As far as I’m aware, they can’t sell players and send the funds back to Delaware. You may know different

That would be ‘bleeding us dry’. I think they are just trying to get our expenditure as low as realistically possible, without major regard for how it affects the football side of things. Managing us like a bad debt.
What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:20 - Sep 24 with 1015 views_

What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:15 - Sep 24 by jack247

As far as I’m aware, they can’t sell players and send the funds back to Delaware. You may know different

That would be ‘bleeding us dry’. I think they are just trying to get our expenditure as low as realistically possible, without major regard for how it affects the football side of things. Managing us like a bad debt.

But what's the point in that when the business is healthy and can stabilise itself and seriously be in contention for increasing its current value by tenfold?

People really need to stop and think about SCFC as we are now and put some very obvious pieces of the jigsaw into place.

It won't cost the Americans a penny to get things right. The club itself can do all this for us / them.

What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:31 - Sep 24 with 999 viewsdobjack2

What are we missing and what's to come... on 15:48 - Sep 24 by _

They tried their hardest to keep us in the league. After West Ham it was looking like a great move.

And let's face it we should've stayed up, no questions. We went on a dismal run but you've got to cut them some slack for trying to keep us up.

January’s window was a consequence of the summer window. Carvalhal made it clear that they tried to get players in but the players weren’t interested in a relegation battle.

Therefore the massive gamble on Andre Ayew- paid far too much for a player who wasn’t wanted at West Ham and had no clear position when he was here previously.

Though despite all that we should have stayed up.
Login to get fewer ads

What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:34 - Sep 24 with 997 viewsjack247

What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:20 - Sep 24 by _

But what's the point in that when the business is healthy and can stabilise itself and seriously be in contention for increasing its current value by tenfold?

People really need to stop and think about SCFC as we are now and put some very obvious pieces of the jigsaw into place.

It won't cost the Americans a penny to get things right. The club itself can do all this for us / them.

Can it though?

They/Jenkins have pulled off an absolute master stroke in Potter. He is getting far more out of the squad than could reasonably be expected. Without intending any disrespect to our squad, it’s not very often a team of promising youngsters, players who haven’t made it elsewhere and players no one wanted to buy in the summer make it to the Premier League.

I don’t see that approach changing, with the parachute payments reducing we’re more likely to tighten our belts further over coming windows.

I’d love to be wrong on this, but if we go back up this season or the next few, it will be in spite of the owners, not because of them.
What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:35 - Sep 24 with 995 viewskarnataka

What are we missing and what's to come... on 14:39 - Sep 24 by shandyjack

this is exactly how i see this.

No promotion this year, a medium term project with young hungry players and a young hungry manager, 3/4 years build up a solid squad ready for not only promotion but being competitive in the PL again

I wouldn't disagree with that as a plan, my only problem is that surely, that is the same plan that almost every club in the Championship has bar the few who knew from day 1 that they will be trying to avoid relegation. Some will implement the plan better than us and some will do it worse, that's life, but that means it will always be a helluva battle to be one of the 2 or 3 clubs who do it best.
What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:44 - Sep 24 with 985 viewsjack247

What are we missing and what's to come... on 15:48 - Sep 24 by _

Let’s be completely honest on this one. I absolutely wanted us to spend in January. I wanted us to spend the previous summer. Unfortunately, we bought Clucas, Mesa and Bony and loaned Tammy and Sanches.

I wanted us to have a good go at staying up in January, I (probably naively) thought we’d be able to do that without leaving ourselves exposed after selling Gylfi, Llorente and Cork. If I’d realised how tight our finances would have become in the event of relegation, I wouldn’t have been gambling on £20m players with the wages to match.
What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:51 - Sep 24 with 975 viewsJinxy

Unless anyone has a Tardis, the past is the past! The only thing we can do is learn from it. We've been in survival mode for 2/3 seasons with the obvious panic signings. It could have worked last season but for what - another miserable season? Not for me. I think the Americans cut HJ far too much slack (maybe they felt they had no option), and it would appear that they have slammed the financial door shut, also stripping him of recruitment duties (although I'm not sure of the precise authority levels etc.). However perhaps he's still around for the good stuff he did too - and there was a lot of that. Shoot me down, but Potter's appointment, for me, has HJ written all over it as an example.

One major advantage we have is that we've done this before, and were damn good at it. We also have disciples at the club (e.g. Mr Curtis) who were part of that - smart move bringing him back in Mr Potter! Sorting out the playing style, wage budget, transfer policy etc. were long overdue, so I'm like ShandyJack on this, I'm in the middle, supporting the club, positive because I like what I see at the moment. I said as much to GP in the meet the manager thingy - as long as we see progress, we're behind him and we'll be patient. We'll be fine - Swanselona v2.0 here we come!
What are we missing and what's to come... on 17:20 - Sep 24 with 944 viewsjasper_T

What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:35 - Sep 24 by karnataka

I wouldn't disagree with that as a plan, my only problem is that surely, that is the same plan that almost every club in the Championship has bar the few who knew from day 1 that they will be trying to avoid relegation. Some will implement the plan better than us and some will do it worse, that's life, but that means it will always be a helluva battle to be one of the 2 or 3 clubs who do it best.

More clubs seem to be trying the plan of spending beyond their means for a couple of seasons and praying everything clicks, risking bankruptcy and sanctions should they fail (unless some last minute investors step in to save them like Villa).

Half the division is running an operational loss iirc. Football's gone mad.
What are we missing and what's to come... on 20:40 - Sep 24 with 890 views_

What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:44 - Sep 24 by jack247

Let’s be completely honest on this one. I absolutely wanted us to spend in January. I wanted us to spend the previous summer. Unfortunately, we bought Clucas, Mesa and Bony and loaned Tammy and Sanches.

I wanted us to have a good go at staying up in January, I (probably naively) thought we’d be able to do that without leaving ourselves exposed after selling Gylfi, Llorente and Cork. If I’d realised how tight our finances would have become in the event of relegation, I wouldn’t have been gambling on £20m players with the wages to match.

How come you couldn't work it out though??

There's nothing that surprising about having a big wage bill catered for £140m revenue and then having to deal with only half of it the following season because of relegation!!!

What's not to realise? Football money isn't a secret you know.

What are we missing and what's to come... on 20:44 - Sep 24 with 888 views_

What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:34 - Sep 24 by jack247

Can it though?

They/Jenkins have pulled off an absolute master stroke in Potter. He is getting far more out of the squad than could reasonably be expected. Without intending any disrespect to our squad, it’s not very often a team of promising youngsters, players who haven’t made it elsewhere and players no one wanted to buy in the summer make it to the Premier League.

I don’t see that approach changing, with the parachute payments reducing we’re more likely to tighten our belts further over coming windows.

I’d love to be wrong on this, but if we go back up this season or the next few, it will be in spite of the owners, not because of them.

Of course it bloody can. Any team can win promotion and one built on a solid foundation is just as likely to succeed as one who gambles their future.

We've been up before, so have Blackpool, Huddersfield, Norwich, West Brom, even the scum on a limited budget.

And that is totally disrespecting the squad. They have been primed ready for this very occurrence.

What are we missing and what's to come... on 20:47 - Sep 24 with 885 views_

What are we missing and what's to come... on 16:51 - Sep 24 by Jinxy

Unless anyone has a Tardis, the past is the past! The only thing we can do is learn from it. We've been in survival mode for 2/3 seasons with the obvious panic signings. It could have worked last season but for what - another miserable season? Not for me. I think the Americans cut HJ far too much slack (maybe they felt they had no option), and it would appear that they have slammed the financial door shut, also stripping him of recruitment duties (although I'm not sure of the precise authority levels etc.). However perhaps he's still around for the good stuff he did too - and there was a lot of that. Shoot me down, but Potter's appointment, for me, has HJ written all over it as an example.

One major advantage we have is that we've done this before, and were damn good at it. We also have disciples at the club (e.g. Mr Curtis) who were part of that - smart move bringing him back in Mr Potter! Sorting out the playing style, wage budget, transfer policy etc. were long overdue, so I'm like ShandyJack on this, I'm in the middle, supporting the club, positive because I like what I see at the moment. I said as much to GP in the meet the manager thingy - as long as we see progress, we're behind him and we'll be patient. We'll be fine - Swanselona v2.0 here we come!

Some great posts in this thread.

You can't plan to "not" go up by the way and if we're in with a sniff we can expect the Americans to speculate to accumulate come January. Guaranteed.

What are we missing and what's to come... on 20:50 - Sep 24 with 882 viewsjack247

What are we missing and what's to come... on 20:40 - Sep 24 by _

How come you couldn't work it out though??

There's nothing that surprising about having a big wage bill catered for £140m revenue and then having to deal with only half of it the following season because of relegation!!!

What's not to realise? Football money isn't a secret you know.

Obviously I knew we’d take a drastic drop in income. I didn’t know the actual finances involved. We looked odds on for relegation at the time. I assumed that we could afford Ayew, particularly given the sales we’d made in the summer.

If I’d thought that in the event of relegation, we’d have to sell players for less than half what we paid for them 12 months earlier, or loan them out for 10% of what we’d paid for them 6 months earlier just to get shot of their wages, I wouldn’t have been so keen to gamble.
What are we missing and what's to come... on 20:56 - Sep 24 with 876 viewsjack247

What are we missing and what's to come... on 20:44 - Sep 24 by _

Of course it bloody can. Any team can win promotion and one built on a solid foundation is just as likely to succeed as one who gambles their future.

We've been up before, so have Blackpool, Huddersfield, Norwich, West Brom, even the scum on a limited budget.

And that is totally disrespecting the squad. They have been primed ready for this very occurrence.

It’s not disrespecting them in any way. It’s factual. Everyone had a price this summer. The likes of Rodon and Roberts have stepped up admirably, now hopefully Byers is joining the party. The players we brought in - Celina, McKay, Asoro, Dhanda, John were surplus to requirements at their clubs.

It’s actually the opposite. I’m full of admiration for what they and Potter have achieved already. Couldn’t have any more respect for the performances and the shifts they are putting in.
What are we missing and what's to come... on 21:02 - Sep 24 with 870 viewsQJumpingJack

If we have some luck and don't get bad injuries or suspensions then Potter can take us into the Top 6.
Lose 2-3 key players for a good period of time and we could easily be bottom 6.
What are we missing and what's to come... on 21:22 - Sep 24 with 857 viewsSPboy

What are we missing and what's to come... on 20:47 - Sep 24 by _

You can't plan to "not" go up by the way and if we're in with a sniff we can expect the Americans to speculate to accumulate come January. Guaranteed.

Guaranteed ? That is a mighty bold statement. This is the regime that has overseen the biggest transfer surplus in the richest league in world football over the last 2 summers. This regime has blown all that along with all the money from the biggest ever tv deal in league football history. Incompetence doesn’t even begin to describe the level of failure.

There will be no speculation. The best that we can hope for this season is to consolidate a position in mid table. Right now with the squad that we have even that is a stretch. The squad needs to be strengthened just to maintain our current position. A couple of loan deals is the most that we will get
What are we missing and what's to come... on 22:06 - Sep 24 with 834 views_

What are we missing and what's to come... on 21:22 - Sep 24 by SPboy

Guaranteed ? That is a mighty bold statement. This is the regime that has overseen the biggest transfer surplus in the richest league in world football over the last 2 summers. This regime has blown all that along with all the money from the biggest ever tv deal in league football history. Incompetence doesn’t even begin to describe the level of failure.

There will be no speculation. The best that we can hope for this season is to consolidate a position in mid table. Right now with the squad that we have even that is a stretch. The squad needs to be strengthened just to maintain our current position. A couple of loan deals is the most that we will get

There is no transfer surplus no matter how much tosh you read or want to believe.

Getting relegated from the hardest league in world football isn't a failure, it's a cyclical event for all bar the super elite.

And they will fund players if we're in with a shout, within reason, they'd be crazy not to.

What are we missing and what's to come... on 22:16 - Sep 24 with 822 viewsbuilthjack

What are we missing and what's to come... on 20:47 - Sep 24 by _

So if we are top half come January 1st they will spend to get us up there. Great news.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

What are we missing and what's to come... on 22:21 - Sep 24 with 821 viewsPozuelosSideys

The quality in this division apart from two or three sides is trash.

As everyone was saying early doors, we are probably 3 players short of making a promo push. Personally id prefer to have a season of building the squad up and gaining experience before looking at next season to be genuine contenders

Concerns obviously being players potentially sold from underneath the management and not adequately replaced.

Theres nowt to fear in this league. I suspect we may come up short but also will probably continue to be enjoyable to watch our players and style develop. Its a breath of fresh air watching the youngsters learn and want to play. Not like the majority of overpaid bellend mercenaries we have had to endure the last couple of years

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

What are we missing and what's to come... on 23:52 - Sep 24 with 793 viewsDJack

What are we missing and what's to come... on 22:06 - Sep 24 by _

There is no transfer surplus no matter how much tosh you read or want to believe.

Getting relegated from the hardest league in world football isn't a failure, it's a cyclical event for all bar the super elite.

And they will fund players if we're in with a shout, within reason, they'd be crazy not to.

"Getting relegated from the hardest league in world football isn't a failure, it's a cyclical event for all bar the super elite. "

In isolation that is correct. BUT the decision making of our board over our last two seasons in the Premier League were the actual reason why we were relegated.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

What are we missing and what's to come... on 00:45 - Sep 25 with 779 viewsdameedna

I would like to see us go more for 433 to answer the future question.

If Bony or Routs play they can hold the ball up well but we make Asoro and McKay look very isolated at times.

No complaints though.

Games have been more entertainingand only the Bristol game was the let down but marginally so.

I am even happy with PS becoming more diamond formation than 433.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024