Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? 18:33 - Sep 24 with 5056 viewsJackfath

Great. So we get promoted, but what next?
What would the board do?
How can they ensure we stay competitive in the Premier League, stay up and not break the bank?
Are we destined to become a "yo-yo" club for evermore?

Personally I'm quite happy to reinvent ourselves in this league for a couple/few seasons.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 21:59 - Sep 24 with 1476 viewsOldjack

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 19:58 - Sep 24 by jasper_T

This squad can come a long way in a season. If we prove good enough to go up then the kids will be alright for a go in the PL. We won't have done it playing percentage football with pros at (or beyond) the peak of their powers.

We'd have a lot to spend as well, since our starting wage bill will be so low.

''We'd have a lot to spend as well, since our starting wage bill will be so low.''

the Yanks will put pay to that ,have no fear of that

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 23:53 - Sep 24 with 1413 viewsHighjack

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 21:44 - Sep 24 by Pacemaker

Oddly enough I was talking to one of the boys in work who is a long time Cardiff fan. He was really depressed and couldn't see where a win was coming from, he thought that they may have a strategy of yo yoing between the leagues slowly improving the squad in a bid to stay up eventually.

He said he could see Warnock staying on as Tan trusts him and he hasn't spent any money relatively speaking compared to Malky.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2018 21:45]

Warnock must be pushing 80 by now. Surely he can’t inflict his unique style of anti football on the world forever???

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 23:58 - Sep 24 with 1406 viewsDJack

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 23:53 - Sep 24 by Highjack

Warnock must be pushing 80 by now. Surely he can’t inflict his unique style of anti football on the world forever???

You'd think! He probably bathes in blood to keep going...

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 00:30 - Sep 25 with 1391 viewsJoe_bradshaw

If Potter gets this squad promoted he can get it, along with a few astute additions, to stay up as well.
If we look at the squad Brendan Rodgers managed into 11th place in our first season it was an astonishing achievement. Can Potter emulate that? Frankly I doubt he can get us up this season but from what I’ve seen so far if he gets us up in the next 2 or 3 seasons I have no doubt that he can keep us up by being different just like Brendan did.

Now where did I put that Elvis costume?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 03:34 - Sep 25 with 1349 viewsmajorraglan

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 19:28 - Sep 24 by Jackfath

So the next part to this is about our near neighbours. They clearly are going to come down, BUT they have bought a squad who when they do come down they could keep and go again the following season.

Regardless of ones hatred for them, have they, this time, judged it right and is this the way forward for us?

I think Vincent Tan is a pretty shrewd guy, he’s made a great deal of money from his business interests and he’s apparently worth about $820m. I didn’t realise until earlier, he owns a club in Sarajevo, FC Kortrijk in Belgium and shares in one of the LA teams.

I think Cardiff City have some pretty significant debts and going up this year along with keeping a tight reign on their expenditure and the parachute payments will help them clear up some of their debt. I think it’s a certainty they will be relegated, I also believe that if they are able to retain the bulk of their current squad (and I can’t see any reasons why they would need to have a fire sale) it would probably be good enough to take them back up, especially if they have an experienced operator like Warnock in charge. I think Tan will realise the importance of having someone like Warnock at the helm, that guy Slade and Paul Trollope did nothing for them much like Solksjar.

I think this is the model for the Swans to follow along with investment in high quality coaching in the academy to develop the next generation of players. There s nothing wrong in doing what Burnley, or teams like West Brom before them have done until the club’s can build a really competitive squad. Swansea City will never really challenge the top 8 over a sustained period, the money and infrastructure required is prohibitive.
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 06:47 - Sep 25 with 1316 viewspencoedjack

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 19:47 - Sep 24 by cmajack

Personally don't think the owners are that keen on us being in the premier league. In the time they have been here all they have seen is average players bought for huge sums of money, players on massive wages and agents getting paid ridiculous bonuses. Add to that we have been fighting the drop every season since they bought the club. Attendances have only dropped slightly and i think for a very small outlay (compared to premier league) they can have a competitive team winning some matches. They will make their money on selling the likes of rodon, celina perhaps or whoever else becomes valuable for them.

You think our US hedge fund don’t want us in the PL?

Really
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 07:04 - Sep 25 with 1310 viewsMo_Wives

What happens? We troll Byron, of course...and then if we switch again the season after he trolls us. T'is the way, I'm afraid.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 07:30 - Sep 25 with 1297 viewsawayjack

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 06:47 - Sep 25 by pencoedjack

Really

I’m struggling to work out any scenario where Owners would prefer £20m or so of annual revenue versus £130m.
Login to get fewer ads

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 14:58 - Sep 25 with 1201 viewsLoyal

We won't get promoted because they will continue to asset strip in January which will leave us mid table if lucky.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:03 - Sep 25 with 1162 viewsFlashberryjack

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 16:25 - Sep 25 with 1148 viewsAnotherJohn

It is going to be difficult to regain the position we had and squandered. The problem with a fire sale is that replacing the quality lost takes a lot more money than a club receives from moving players on.

I still think the best chance of getting back up comes in the years when the parachute payments are being received and so I am not convinced by the 'take a few years to re-group' school of thought. I predict that financial pressures, player ambition and the approach of our owners, are likely to mean that cumulative improvement over say three to four years will be very hard to achieve.

The frustrating thing is that one senses we would be right in the promotion mix this year with a few additions, and might even get to that position as we are if Fer, Montero and Bony were all fit and firing.

My concern is that our seven year run of success was really based on the team Laudrup built. My take on things is that Brendan saw 'second season syndrome' coming, which meant that the 'project' here couldn't compete with the offer he received. Nobody who came afterwards replicated Laudrup's feat in building a competitive EPL team at minimal cost. The sixty-four thousand dollar question is whether Potter can do the same. If the troubles at the top continue we will be lucky to keep him long enough to find out.
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 17:03 - Sep 25 with 1135 viewscmajack

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 06:47 - Sep 25 by pencoedjack

Really

Well they are not trying very hard at the moment. With a couple of decent additions they could have had us challenging for promotion this season. There is nothing they have done since we were relegated that indicates they really want us to get back at the first attempt.
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 01:45 - Sep 26 with 1037 viewsDyfnant

If we remain in the championship next season, where are they going to find £15M worth of savings to offset the next drop in revenue.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 07:50 - Sep 26 with 995 viewsItchySphincter

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 16:25 - Sep 25 by AnotherJohn

It is going to be difficult to regain the position we had and squandered. The problem with a fire sale is that replacing the quality lost takes a lot more money than a club receives from moving players on.

I still think the best chance of getting back up comes in the years when the parachute payments are being received and so I am not convinced by the 'take a few years to re-group' school of thought. I predict that financial pressures, player ambition and the approach of our owners, are likely to mean that cumulative improvement over say three to four years will be very hard to achieve.

The frustrating thing is that one senses we would be right in the promotion mix this year with a few additions, and might even get to that position as we are if Fer, Montero and Bony were all fit and firing.

My concern is that our seven year run of success was really based on the team Laudrup built. My take on things is that Brendan saw 'second season syndrome' coming, which meant that the 'project' here couldn't compete with the offer he received. Nobody who came afterwards replicated Laudrup's feat in building a competitive EPL team at minimal cost. The sixty-four thousand dollar question is whether Potter can do the same. If the troubles at the top continue we will be lucky to keep him long enough to find out.

It's funny how you can build a good case with good, well presented use of language, even when what is being written is complete buIIshit.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 08:13 - Sep 26 with 981 viewsawayjack

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 14:58 - Sep 25 by Loyal

We won't get promoted because they will continue to asset strip in January which will leave us mid table if lucky.

Careful. The definition police will say selling our best players is not asset stripping. Sadly it’s inevitable anyone with a decent value will be sold.
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 09:46 - Sep 26 with 946 viewsjasper_T

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 01:45 - Sep 26 by Dyfnant

If we remain in the championship next season, where are they going to find £15M worth of savings to offset the next drop in revenue.

Hopefully transfer fees for the Ayews.
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 10:34 - Sep 26 with 922 viewsShaky

Having seen a bit more of the 'quality' of the Championship, I think there may be a viable business strategy for a Hull or say Bournmouth.

That would involve flitting between the Prem and the Championship divisions, selling players in the Prem, buying in the Championship, keeping wages down and pocketing parachute payments and Prem TV money.

Doubt it would appeal to Kaplan, however.

As for promotion this season I think that is way too early. the squad is simply too thin, and there is no money to strengthen.

Far better to pick up some bargains and work on the training field, then have a much stronger squad be in a position for another sustainable run next season or the one after.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 10:37 - Sep 26 with 914 viewsawayjack

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 09:46 - Sep 26 by jasper_T

Hopefully transfer fees for the Ayews.

So selling players are now savings?
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 10:50 - Sep 26 with 901 viewsjasper_T

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 10:37 - Sep 26 by awayjack

So selling players are now savings?

If we need to find £15m to keep the lights on that's the easiest place to look.

Bony & Narsingh's contracts are up at the end of the season so that's half your total right there. But I think our cost-cutting this season will be sufficient that we're not having to cut close to the bone every year as parachute payments tail off. If January goes as planned then the club may even look profitable for this accounts year (which would be misleading enough to cause riots among many supporters, I'm sure).
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 11:21 - Sep 26 with 885 viewsomarjack

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 01:45 - Sep 26 by Dyfnant

Ayews sale? Fenerbahce have a 13.5 m option to buy, Andre is actually doing good with them.

As for Jordan, being young, not injury prone and a bit talented, this should warrant him at least 6-7 m in fee.

And of course, consider all the big earners who are in the last year of their contracts gone.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 14:00 - Sep 26 with 840 views34dfgdf54

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 11:21 - Sep 26 by omarjack

Ayews sale? Fenerbahce have a 13.5 m option to buy, Andre is actually doing good with them.

As for Jordan, being young, not injury prone and a bit talented, this should warrant him at least 6-7 m in fee.

And of course, consider all the big earners who are in the last year of their contracts gone.

Jordan struggling at Palace which is a shame, hopefully we can recoup a few mill from abroad at the end of the season, he will be into his last year of contract here so we won't be in a good bargaining position.

Looking more promising with Andre though I agree. Anything less than £10m would be a disaster.
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 15:28 - Sep 26 with 812 viewsawayjack

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 10:50 - Sep 26 by jasper_T

If we need to find £15m to keep the lights on that's the easiest place to look.

Bony & Narsingh's contracts are up at the end of the season so that's half your total right there. But I think our cost-cutting this season will be sufficient that we're not having to cut close to the bone every year as parachute payments tail off. If January goes as planned then the club may even look profitable for this accounts year (which would be misleading enough to cause riots among many supporters, I'm sure).

We’ve already loaned / sold Ayews so still I don’t see how this is cutting costs?

Our last reported cost base (2017) was £126m. We need to cut this by £100m within 3 years when parachutes run out. Bottom half squad costs in the championship are £15m-£20m. If we cut the academy costs to £5m, other non-playing costs need to be below £5m or so to be sustainable. That’s where we need to target cuts, starting with the Board and their lackies.
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 15:46 - Sep 26 with 804 viewsjasper_T

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 15:28 - Sep 26 by awayjack

We’ve already loaned / sold Ayews so still I don’t see how this is cutting costs?

Our last reported cost base (2017) was £126m. We need to cut this by £100m within 3 years when parachutes run out. Bottom half squad costs in the championship are £15m-£20m. If we cut the academy costs to £5m, other non-playing costs need to be below £5m or so to be sustainable. That’s where we need to target cuts, starting with the Board and their lackies.

It's not cutting costs it's adding revenue so that costs don't have to be cut so much (that season).
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 08:09 - Sep 28 with 729 viewsawayjack

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 15:46 - Sep 26 by jasper_T

It's not cutting costs it's adding revenue so that costs don't have to be cut so much (that season).

Yep appreciate selling players is part of life / biz model in the championship. We still need to get our costs down to £25m or so and I’m struggling to see how we do that without a major cut in our large non-playing costs. Even if we cut to the bone, so playing squad £20m, Academy £5m, Operations £5m - not much left for the Board / Owners.
What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 13:08 - Sep 28 with 693 viewsjasper_T

What happens if against all the odds we get promoted? on 08:09 - Sep 28 by awayjack

Yep appreciate selling players is part of life / biz model in the championship. We still need to get our costs down to £25m or so and I’m struggling to see how we do that without a major cut in our large non-playing costs. Even if we cut to the bone, so playing squad £20m, Academy £5m, Operations £5m - not much left for the Board / Owners.

Yes, the Championship is a tough budgetary challenge. Most clubs make an operational loss most seasons, be it because they're gambling on promotion or just in a bit of a mess.

If we spend a few seasons here we'll probably reduce the academy to Cat. Two status (like Sunderland have done) which saves a few million.

The Americans won't continue to pay Jenkins £600k a year to lounge around a Championship club, unless it's a contractual obligation from the sale (which would fall under the aforementioned "mess"). They'll be aware that the club can't be run as a cash cow for mates and hangers on (via overpriced construction and printing contracts, for example) without damaging the value of their now much more fragile investment. Losses and mounting debt will lose them millions, and anger all-important shareholders who are already wondering when their dividend cheques they were promised are coming.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024