Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
42 minutes in play 11:19 - Oct 2 with 4241 viewsCatullus

I was listening to talksport in the car this morning and that 42 minutes was a new Premier league record low for the ball being in play, yes it was Cardiff v Burnley.
Apparently Morrisons throw ins used up 8 minutes by themselves. Put that with time wasting ar free kicks, when the keeper has the ball etc and over half the game was wasted time.
I can't remember his name but an ex referee reckons we need an independent time keeper so that all wasted time is added on. He also asked, when was the last time a keeper was punished for holding the ball more than 6 seconds when they're all at it?
He's got a point surely. He also said nfans were being shortchanged and we are, aren't we? We pay to watch a full match not anywhere from 42-90 minutes.

https://talksport.com/football/315919/average-ball-play-time-each-premier-league

So do the rules need changing, do referees need to have time keeping taken off them AND be told to enforce the rules more often, more consistently?

I say yes.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

42 minutes in play on 11:23 - Oct 2 with 4215 viewsohsusannah

Yes
Every Warnock team is thus .
Cardiff are a boil on the PL that needs lancing .
It's not edifying for our country ,our capital city, being so bereft of style,content and having a turd like warnock constantly whinging.

They might be as bad as Swindon were in the PL
42 minutes in play on 11:23 - Oct 2 with 4214 viewsWarwickHunt

The poor bastards watching that shite got off lightly then.

If they added the time the ball was in the air it would have been under 20 minutes.
42 minutes in play on 11:31 - Oct 2 with 4185 viewsCatullus

Ok, but it wasn't meant to be a direct swipe at Cardiff. It's the rules that are wrong, if they made the players play for 90 no matter what then teams couldn't waste time to hide from better teams.
Referees too, they need a kick up the whotsits, do the job properly. Do we need to say if a player makes 4 small fouls it's a booking, consider it persistent foul play. Should we only allow 20 seconds for a throw in? If any player apart from the Captain and the player/s involved challenge the ref it's an automatic yellow.
Do time keeping like rugby league, a person in a room who stops the clock every time play stops and starts it when it resumes and when the counter hits 90 minutes a hooter sounds off.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

42 minutes in play on 11:42 - Oct 2 with 4145 viewsploppy

Personally, I wouldn't allow players extra time for taking a long throw - to dry the ball, etc. If that was a normal throw-in the ref would be telling then to hurry up, and booking players for taking too long.

Change the law so that players can't use a towel, or stick it up their shirts to dry the ball.

But, in general, I think the introduction of a clock is inevitable, and the clock should stop every time the ball's not in play. It would make time-wasting pointless (goalkeepers taking forever, substitutions taking forever) and would allow sin-binning (although I'm not a big fan of sin-binning, you couldn't introduce it without a clock).
[Post edited 2 Oct 2018 12:10]
42 minutes in play on 11:56 - Oct 2 with 4090 viewshobo

Again, as with VAR, this would be another rule to help the big teams. The longer a match goes on for, the more likely the team with the more skilled players will come out on top. Leave it as it is
42 minutes in play on 12:04 - Oct 2 with 4058 viewsjack247

You’d half half an hour added time every game. 42 minutes is extreme, but I’d guess the ball isn’t in play more than 60-70 minutes on average?
42 minutes in play on 12:05 - Oct 2 with 4052 viewsMo_Wives

When we're one up I can hardly take three mins added time. I get heart palpitations and tears of sweat rolling out of my bum cheeks. I don't know how I'd cope if they held up the board with 20mins on it, tbh.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

42 minutes in play on 12:11 - Oct 2 with 4018 viewsDr_Winston

Reduce the game to 30 minutes each way but stop the clock every time the ball goes dead. Simples.

You still get your hours actual play but timewasting becomes pointless.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

42 minutes in play on 12:13 - Oct 2 with 4010 viewsploppy

42 minutes in play on 12:05 - Oct 2 by Mo_Wives

When we're one up I can hardly take three mins added time. I get heart palpitations and tears of sweat rolling out of my bum cheeks. I don't know how I'd cope if they held up the board with 20mins on it, tbh.

With a clock it wouldn't work like that though. There wouldn't be time added on. At 90mins, it's over. The current "added time" is just nonsense.
42 minutes in play on 12:26 - Oct 2 with 3954 viewsJackFish

42 minutes in play on 12:11 - Oct 2 by Dr_Winston

Reduce the game to 30 minutes each way but stop the clock every time the ball goes dead. Simples.

Exactly this. Players would still timewaste to slow the game down but at least you'd still get the full amount of playing time.
42 minutes in play on 12:26 - Oct 2 with 3950 viewsMo_Wives

42 minutes in play on 12:13 - Oct 2 by ploppy

With a clock it wouldn't work like that though. There wouldn't be time added on. At 90mins, it's over. The current "added time" is just nonsense.

Good point. Do it. Or do what Dr Winston just said.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

42 minutes in play on 14:09 - Oct 2 with 3726 viewskarnataka

42 minutes in play on 12:04 - Oct 2 by jack247

You’d half half an hour added time every game. 42 minutes is extreme, but I’d guess the ball isn’t in play more than 60-70 minutes on average?

I think you're spot on. For a long time now, I've found it necessary to record World Cup/Euro matches that have been played when I haven't been able to watch them. When I have watched these recordings, whenever the ball goes out of play or there's an injury or the goalkeeper hangs onto the ball for too long, I speed up the playback to X2 or X4 and press Play again immediately play resumes, then speed through half time at X64. Each time, I've nearly always been able to watch the action of a full match in about 60-65 minutes so I would imagine that is the norm for any match. Never managed to watch one in 42 minutes though, that is a bit extreme!
42 minutes in play on 14:37 - Oct 2 with 3661 viewsDr_Winston

42 minutes in play on 12:26 - Oct 2 by JackFish

Exactly this. Players would still timewaste to slow the game down but at least you'd still get the full amount of playing time.

Players wouldn't have to go off and come back on again if they'd been treated by a physio and imagine how exciting a game could be if a team was trailing and had a countdown timer telling them how long they had left to equalise.

Would also put an end to disputes about "Fergie time".

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

42 minutes in play on 14:53 - Oct 2 with 3630 viewsTom1912

Almost 10% of a football match spent watching a lad line up to take a throw in. Jesus wept.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2018 14:54]
42 minutes in play on 18:02 - Oct 2 with 3423 viewsBadlands

Once the ball goes out of play or a free kick is given an automatic yellow if an opposition player deliberately touches the ball or prevents the restart.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

42 minutes in play on 20:06 - Oct 2 with 3262 viewsLoyal

42 minutes in play on 12:05 - Oct 2 by Mo_Wives

The average w@nk takes 4 and a half minutes, great opportunity.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

42 minutes in play on 21:35 - Oct 2 with 3142 viewsCatullus

42 minutes in play on 20:06 - Oct 2 by Loyal

The average w@nk takes 4 and a half minutes, great opportunity.

Why rush? Just wait til halftime.....but not when you're the Liberty please!

42 minutes in play on 21:42 - Oct 2 with 3111 viewsOldjack

I said after the game there was a record in there somewhere ,fuking shocking game to watch with zero football played

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

42 minutes in play on 03:31 - Oct 4 with 2850 viewsWanderer

American football style, liked the game, enjoyed the highlights, but once I watched the superbowl live, my god never again went on for hours and hours, the total break time was longer than the actual game, lost all interest in AF as a result.
42 minutes in play on 12:05 - Oct 4 with 2667 viewskarnataka

42 minutes in play on 21:42 - Oct 2 by Oldjack

I said after the game there was a record in there somewhere ,fuking shocking game to watch with zero football played

Reckon the MoTD producers were peed off too struggling to base an entire programme around such a dire match as it was the only EPL game being played on Sunday. What they ended up with was definitely a bargain basement low budget style show befitting the low standard of the match.
42 minutes in play on 15:28 - Oct 4 with 2554 viewsEasternJack

42 minutes in play on 12:11 - Oct 2 by Dr_Winston

Cardiff games will end up becoming test matches.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024