Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Planning permission 18:01 - Oct 8 with 2350 viewsAguycalledJack

Doing a self build. Does anybody know if I need to amend our planning permission if I want to change the colour of the window frames Ie white to grey?

Everything I’ve read on the net relates to the replacing of windows in an existing house for which generally it appears you do not require planning.

Thanks in advance.
Planning permission on 18:04 - Oct 8 with 2345 viewsCatullus

Better off getting official advice, believe someone on here then when you have to knock the whole house down you won't be happy!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Planning permission on 18:34 - Oct 8 with 2297 viewsGowerjack

I'd definitely check.

I've been involved in planning issues locally and size and appearance of windows is part of the decision making criteria.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Planning permission on 18:35 - Oct 8 with 2308 viewsJackfath

Planning permission on 18:34 - Oct 8 by Gowerjack

I'd definitely check.

I've been involved in planning issues locally and size and appearance of windows is part of the decision making criteria.

Are you a NIMBY?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Planning permission on 18:37 - Oct 8 with 2305 viewsbuilthjack

If you are doing a self build you will have regular contact with your building inspector. Ask him/her

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Planning permission on 18:59 - Oct 8 with 2268 viewsGowerjack

Planning permission on 18:35 - Oct 8 by Jackfath

Are you a NIMBY?

No.

But I recognise the unique pressures attendant to planning issues on the AONB.

We need to preserve manage & maintain Gower in a way that protects it for future generations.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Planning permission on 19:13 - Oct 8 with 2258 viewsjack2jack

You've probably been here, if not have a look or a quick call to the planning officer for your area will do the trick
https://www.swansea.gov.uk/planningapplications
Planning permission on 19:13 - Oct 8 with 2257 viewsmajorraglan

It is definitely worth checking, some planning departments and planning officers are a lot more fussy than others and the area you are building in may have an impact. I suspect that you wont have any hassle, but it’s not worth the risk of spending a lot of money only to find you have to change the windows. A mate of mine had a load of hassle over his windows when he built.
Planning permission on 19:48 - Oct 8 with 2218 viewsItchySphincter

Just do it.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Planning permission on 20:05 - Oct 8 with 2194 viewshobo

Planning permission on 19:48 - Oct 8 by ItchySphincter

Just do it.

Was going to post the exact same words
Planning permission on 20:20 - Oct 8 with 2163 viewsjack2jack

If the building inspector checks, and they do throughout each phase of the build, and he spots something, he'll make you rip them out if there's something amiss, and you'll be faced with another bill, check first
Planning permission on 20:40 - Oct 8 with 2144 viewsAguycalledJack

Yes intend to check. I just wondered if anybody had been through the same thing.
Planning permission on 20:49 - Oct 8 with 2133 viewsItchySphincter

Building inspector won't give a monkey's f*ck if it meets building regs.. Nothing to do with planning permission. Just smash 'em in and say f*ck all.

Planning permission on 21:16 - Oct 8 with 2095 viewsjack2jack

Planning permission on 20:49 - Oct 8 by ItchySphincter

Building inspector won't give a monkey's f*ck if it meets building regs.. Nothing to do with planning permission. Just smash 'em in and say f*ck all.

The building inspector, will have sight of the plans, which are submitted with the planning application, the plans will have details of such things as materials to be used etc.
If you are building in conservation area or working on let's say a listed building, planning will be all over it like cheap suite.
Planning permission on 21:18 - Oct 8 with 2095 viewsvalleyboy

Planning permission on 18:37 - Oct 8 by builthjack

If you are doing a self build you will have regular contact with your building inspector. Ask him/her

It’s nothing to do with building inspector

Most of his inspection is to do that the house has been built to building regs

As been mentioned in a previous posting. It would be better to as ask the Planning Department if you could change in what has already been agreed

You should have had “planning brief” telling you what materials you can use such what type of windows and their colour, down to what colour of facias and rain water goods

A lot will depend is it just a one off building or part of an estate

If it’s an estate, Planning likes to keep control of what colour windows you can use so they don’t stand out like a sore thumb
Planning permission on 21:20 - Oct 8 with 2091 viewsvalleyboy

Planning permission on 19:48 - Oct 8 by ItchySphincter

Just do it.

That would be a very big mistake and could cost him a lot of money
Planning permission on 21:26 - Oct 8 with 2079 viewsItchySphincter

Planning permission on 21:20 - Oct 8 by valleyboy

That would be a very big mistake and could cost him a lot of money

Nah, it’ll be fine mun.

Planning permission on 21:29 - Oct 8 with 2076 viewsjackharris

And if all else fails do as this guy did in the 1990’s and shoot the chief planning officer stone cold dead, with a World War One pistol. This was brought to my attention because Albert Dryden died a a couple of weeks ago, a year after being let out of prison. On arrest it was found he had a massive arsenal of weapons.

[Post edited 8 Oct 2018 21:52]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Planning permission on 21:33 - Oct 8 with 2059 viewsvalleyboy

Planning permission on 21:26 - Oct 8 by ItchySphincter

Nah, it’ll be fine mun.

I did a self build myself and know exactly how Planning works

I also know of someone building at the same time that installed white pvc windows in to what the design brill stated and were forced to change them

And this was building a house in the Cynon Valley and not in some other posh parts of the country
Planning permission on 21:41 - Oct 8 with 2042 viewsPentyrchJack

My advice is to check the planning permission that you already have against the plans you submitted - if it specified a certain colour then you need to check with Planning Department if you want to install a different colour. If it didn't specify a colour in the planning application or permission, then you should just go ahead.

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

Planning permission on 22:57 - Oct 8 with 1979 viewsvalleyboy

Planning permission on 21:41 - Oct 8 by PentyrchJack

My advice is to check the planning permission that you already have against the plans you submitted - if it specified a certain colour then you need to check with Planning Department if you want to install a different colour. If it didn't specify a colour in the planning application or permission, then you should just go ahead.

Planning regs are not that loose and would be surprise if they didn’t state in the design brief
What type of windows they wanted to install and if it’s pvc the colour as well

In my case they insisted they had to be wood, which wasn’t a problem as I wanted hardwood windows in any case

This as I said in a previous post, that someone on the same site put in pvc windows and were made to replace them with wood

Cost him something like £12k and that was over 20 years ago
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024