Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? 14:42 - Oct 10 with 3470 viewssherpajacob

a talented kid I coach at grass roots under 10s is in his local ADC, one step down from full academy.

Wednesday he trains grassroots, Friday he trains ADC, Saturday plays grassroots and Sunday occasionally plays rugby at grass roots level. he's a decent rugby player, he can already place kick and drop kick over adults posts from the 22.

The amount he can play rugby is limited because the ADC sometimes arrange matches for Sunday including full academy trials. It seems obvious to me that these take precedence over grass roots rugby. However his grass roots rugby club take a different view and say unless he commits to most Sundays they wont play him and suggest he gives up rugby. eg he can play rugby this Sunday in a tournament but they've told him not to come.

If he was in the full academy he would not be allowed to play grass roots anything.

As a grass roots football coach I can sort of understand them needing commitment from kids, but equally if a 9 year old turns up with a pair of boots for a grass roots game of rugby on a Sunday I think he should be allowed to play.

what's the view of the Planet swans panel?

[Post edited 10 Oct 2018 14:47]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 16:38 - Oct 10 with 2624 viewsJackfath

Any Rugby club that advises a 10 year old to give up Rugby if he can't commit to the games is way out of line.

Instead I would suggest the club, along with the parents agree to play him in the matches he can make, as long as they understand that those who are fully committed (even though they may attain less) will have playing priority on match days.

Let the child play, I say. Sooner or later they'll give up one to focus on the other and may wish to pick it back up later in life.

Keep the pressure off the child!

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 16:43 - Oct 10 with 2614 viewstrampie

That rugby club is way out of line, im all for winning and losing but some football and rugby coaches are way to much results orientated when in charge of young children.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 16:49 - Oct 10 with 2606 viewsJackfath

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 16:43 - Oct 10 by trampie

That rugby club is way out of line, im all for winning and losing but some football and rugby coaches are way to much results orientated when in charge of young children.

What annoys me is that a few loose words and throw away comments from a coach towards an impressionable youngster can put them off for life. Even if there is a low attaining player in the group, they should be encouraged; there is so much more to develop in a young person's character and well being than just winning matches on a weekend. That in my opinion should be secondary. Yes, it's nice to win, but developing friendships, confidence, team work is so much more important in the grand scheme of things.

There is room for all people in sports clubs and everyone should be welcome. Inclusivity is vital if community sport is to thrive at grass roots level.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 16:53 - Oct 10 with 2597 viewstrampie

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 16:49 - Oct 10 by Jackfath

What annoys me is that a few loose words and throw away comments from a coach towards an impressionable youngster can put them off for life. Even if there is a low attaining player in the group, they should be encouraged; there is so much more to develop in a young person's character and well being than just winning matches on a weekend. That in my opinion should be secondary. Yes, it's nice to win, but developing friendships, confidence, team work is so much more important in the grand scheme of things.

There is room for all people in sports clubs and everyone should be welcome. Inclusivity is vital if community sport is to thrive at grass roots level.

Yes exactly, im all for that for children at a young age and when they get up to school leaving age, a more winning mentality can be introduced.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 17:31 - Oct 10 with 2538 viewsDarran

My grandsons training with the Swans under 6's

Future Wales captain

Just saying

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 17:53 - Oct 10 with 2520 viewsFireboy2

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 17:31 - Oct 10 by Darran

Future Wales captain

Just saying

Competitive grampy eh

Bellend more like
At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 17:54 - Oct 10 with 2520 viewsPozuelosSideys

Well if the rugby are telling him no, then he will soon make up his own mind and he will fck rugby off pronto. Kids want to play, regardless. If he feels not wanted there it will be byebye

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 19:32 - Oct 10 with 2443 viewssainthelens

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 17:31 - Oct 10 by Darran

Future Wales captain

Just saying

Thought about putting a sneaky fiver on it Daz? Would make a good story.
Login to get fewer ads

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 19:40 - Oct 10 with 2433 viewsDarran

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 19:32 - Oct 10 by sainthelens

Thought about putting a sneaky fiver on it Daz? Would make a good story.

Mmmm interesting.

He scored a hat trick for Bryncoch Under 6’s on Sunday too.

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:58 - Oct 10 with 2419 viewshammy

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 19:40 - Oct 10 by Darran

Mmmm interesting.

He scored a hat trick for Bryncoch Under 6’s on Sunday too.

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 20:13 - Oct 10 with 2405 viewshammy

If this kid is that good at kicking an oval ball 22m at 9 years of age, then he could be the next Gavin Henson. So depends whether he wants to be a big fish in a small pond (i.e., rugby) or a small fish in potentially no pond at all … at such a young age there is pretty much no way of knowing how he'll turn out as an adult … what I have said to my kids is just do what you enjoy and think is best for you … I took on too much "advice" when I was a teenager and took the wrong academic options, so go for what you think is right for you, that's my "advice" ;)

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 20:27 - Oct 10 with 2383 viewsMoscowJack

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 20:13 - Oct 10 by hammy

If this kid is that good at kicking an oval ball 22m at 9 years of age, then he could be the next Gavin Henson. So depends whether he wants to be a big fish in a small pond (i.e., rugby) or a small fish in potentially no pond at all … at such a young age there is pretty much no way of knowing how he'll turn out as an adult … what I have said to my kids is just do what you enjoy and think is best for you … I took on too much "advice" when I was a teenager and took the wrong academic options, so go for what you think is right for you, that's my "advice" ;)

I was decent at squash but loved football (which I wasn't so talented at). At 14 (35 years ago!) I had to choose between the two because of the travel involved.

I spoke to a lot of people around my family who all said "squash" and that's what I did. I ended up playing for Wales but football was my love and went back to playing cr@p for a cr@p team in the pub leagues (with the odd season for Haford).

Had I taken football seriously instead I might have made it in the lower leagues (at best) but I would have loved it. I'm now not that far off 50 and it's always niggled me that I went for what others thought I was better at, rather than what I really loved.

At that age, I think it's always about doing your best at what you enjoy the most. The rest will come if the talent and dedication is there, even if it means moving teams/clubs to find the right "home".

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 20:49 - Oct 10 with 2349 viewsDarran

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 20:27 - Oct 10 by MoscowJack

I was decent at squash but loved football (which I wasn't so talented at). At 14 (35 years ago!) I had to choose between the two because of the travel involved.

I spoke to a lot of people around my family who all said "squash" and that's what I did. I ended up playing for Wales but football was my love and went back to playing cr@p for a cr@p team in the pub leagues (with the odd season for Haford).

Had I taken football seriously instead I might have made it in the lower leagues (at best) but I would have loved it. I'm now not that far off 50 and it's always niggled me that I went for what others thought I was better at, rather than what I really loved.

At that age, I think it's always about doing your best at what you enjoy the most. The rest will come if the talent and dedication is there, even if it means moving teams/clubs to find the right "home".

You’re not 50 yet?

Fuçking hell where was your paper round Chernobyl?

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 22:13 - Oct 10 with 2296 viewssherpajacob

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 20:13 - Oct 10 by hammy

This is my view, he's a talented sportsman so if the football ADC drop him in the future , be could make a tidy fly half or wing/ full back for the rugby club, but if he doesn't play rugby at all, it will be harder to pick back up later on than if he plays occasionally now.

He's one of those kids that just love sport, all sport, and is better than average at most of them.

As a football coach I'd like to thing if the converse happened, we have kids who are ok footballers but outstanding rugby players, if their district or region picked them up and they could only play football occasionally for us, I would say " just play when you can" but understand priority game time must go to the kids who come training every week.

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 22:25 - Oct 10 with 2277 viewsLeonWasGod

We're a bit fecked in this country imo. It's all well and good focussing, but kids are still developing and should be able to try multiple sports. Over in the States they have distinct seasons and kids get to play 'soccer' or football, baseball, basketball, etc. Here we limit them to one if you want to be taken seriously. If you're in a football club you don't even get a chance to play cricket in the summer as training runs pretty much through because of he summer football tournaments. For the average kid it's too much - it seems to be a bit daft to me when the vast majority playing grass roots will never be professionals (and I bet the majority of those in development squads won't be either).

Meh.
At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 22:44 - Oct 10 with 2257 viewspembsjack

My boy is 12 and has just chosen to give up playing football for his club. He still trains with them and plays for school etc but we encouraged him to lighten the load and have Saturday free.
With training and matches for club and school, it was at least 6 days or evenings a week quite often 7. Personally, I don't think it was great for his body especially with the knocks he can take in rugby.
I appreciate his club allowing him to still train with them even though he doesn't play matches. Would have been disappointed if they had said no to him. Clubs should encourage kids to take part whenever they want, it's not all about building an unbeatable squad on a Sunday.
At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 22:53 - Oct 10 with 2248 viewsminimichu

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 22:13 - Oct 10 by sherpajacob

This is my view, he's a talented sportsman so if the football ADC drop him in the future , be could make a tidy fly half or wing/ full back for the rugby club, but if he doesn't play rugby at all, it will be harder to pick back up later on than if he plays occasionally now.

He's one of those kids that just love sport, all sport, and is better than average at most of them.

As a football coach I'd like to thing if the converse happened, we have kids who are ok footballers but outstanding rugby players, if their district or region picked them up and they could only play football occasionally for us, I would say " just play when you can" but understand priority game time must go to the kids who come training every week.

At his age, if he’s talented at both but concentrated on football and didn’t play rugby for 2/3 years, he’d easily pick up rugby again. Talent and flair is in them and things come naturally . Many coaches and coaching methods are a bigger problem in my opinion.
At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 03:13 - Oct 11 with 2193 viewskrunchykarrot

They shouldn't have to give up anything at that age most top coaches i have dealt with over the years actively encourage it until the kid decides. Whoever has told you that has most probably done you a favour as that is not the sort of set up you need.
At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 04:16 - Oct 11 with 2175 viewsKilkennyjack

I know for a fact that a swans academy player missed out on captaining his Swansea Schoolboys team in a winning welsh final, as our Academy moved him up an age and the training nights then clashed.

The child was told he needed to be with Swans, around u15 level ?
Schoolboys said ‘no, thats our training night’...

Adults (?) fall out, kid forced to pick Swans, and so not selected again for swansea schoolboys.

Even Theresa May could have negotiated a better outcome.

Shirley the adults could have found a way .. ?

Beware of the Risen People

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 06:52 - Oct 11 with 2130 viewsMattG

Slightly different situation but, in Port Talbot, club football is played on a Saturday morning and club rugby on a Sunday morning.

However, representative (Afan Nedd) football is played on a Sunday morning and representative (Aberavon Schoolboys) rugby on a Saturday morning.

This is at U11 age so, even though the clubs I am involved in don't mind accommodating those who want to do both, the better players in both sports are almost being forced to make a choice thanks to the ineptitude (or selfishness) of the organisers.
At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 07:59 - Oct 11 with 2093 viewssherpajacob

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 06:52 - Oct 11 by MattG

Slightly different situation but, in Port Talbot, club football is played on a Saturday morning and club rugby on a Sunday morning.

However, representative (Afan Nedd) football is played on a Sunday morning and representative (Aberavon Schoolboys) rugby on a Saturday morning.

This is at U11 age so, even though the clubs I am involved in don't mind accommodating those who want to do both, the better players in both sports are almost being forced to make a choice thanks to the ineptitude (or selfishness) of the organisers.

I'm guessing this is to allow the representative players to still play grass roots.

You're rightght though it forces them to choose one sport,.

My belief is that kids benefit from playing both sports, my kids footballing skills are easily transferable to rugby, and playing rugby makes them stronger footballers.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2018 8:03]

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 08:18 - Oct 11 with 2067 viewsbuilthjack

School days at 15 was playing rugby on a Saturday morning for the school, Football for the town seniors in the afternoon. Sunday was U16 football in the morning, and usually a cup game for the town seniors in the afternoon.
Burn out? Didn't have time for that.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 09:22 - Oct 11 with 2033 viewsexhmrc1

this isnt a rugby football issue but a boy who wishes to do what he wishes as against a coach running a team for the whole season not just when this kid wants to play. if this kid just plays when it suits him then one of the regular players gets left out. my opinion is good for the coach that he is standing up for his regulars rather than someone who is using the team for his own benefit. the kid has already chosen football over rugby by playing for your development team
At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 10:10 - Oct 11 with 2001 viewsMoscowJack

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 20:49 - Oct 10 by Darran

You’re not 50 yet?

Fuçking hell where was your paper round Chernobyl?

That's hilarious coming from the worst dressed and messiest scroat on the forum

Or was that another poor attempt at being funny, considering that I don't think I've ever met you in real life?

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 10:23 - Oct 11 with 1986 viewsDarran

At what age or ability level should a kid have to give up one sport for another? on 10:10 - Oct 11 by MoscowJack

That's hilarious coming from the worst dressed and messiest scroat on the forum

Or was that another poor attempt at being funny, considering that I don't think I've ever met you in real life?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024