Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
V For Vendetta (2005) 23:40 - Oct 11 with 1140 viewsomarjack

It has it's flaws obviously. Cheesy fight scenes and heavy handed symbolism. But f*ck me if it's not way more relevant nowadays. The events depicted are supposed to be in year 2028 or so. I truly believe that in around 10-15 years the west will be a massive far-right, neo-nazi authoritarian sh!thole if things go on the way they are.

I have to admit I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist weirdo but I'm serious here, the trajectory is heading towards a massive destruction of human values.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

V For Vendetta (2005) on 06:54 - Oct 12 with 1065 viewspeenemunde

If the west becomes a shite hole, blame the liberals who are trying to social engineer the whole of society.

This society we have now will collapse and something better will raise out of the ashes.
V For Vendetta (2005) on 10:12 - Oct 12 with 1024 viewsProfessor

Alan Moore's original comic was produced in the mid-80s-in some ways a similar 40 years ahead thought to Orwell's 1984. I think both V and Watchmen (another classic) have very prophetic elements. Both are good films, but neither quite nail the original comic/graphic novels. I would also recommend the 'Maus' series if you are interested in interpreting political history in a different way and for entertainment you can't beat Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman'.

I like Stephen Fry's character in 'V" and Stephen Rea as the policeman. Interesting than having a copy of the Quran is illegal in 'V". There are some who would wish this to happen.
V For Vendetta (2005) on 10:51 - Oct 12 with 1001 viewsGlossolalia

In terms of intolerance and authoritarianism, it is the far left who currently pose the biggest threat.
We're talking compelled speech (Article C16 in Canada; check it out); a complete lack of accommodation for those even slightly conservative (see the 'gay cake' saga); and a labeling of those with other views as something -phobic.

This is happening now. We are witnessing the erosion of open debate for the sake of, god forbid, not offending anyone. Safe spaces in university campuses! Gender courses that insist we are not a binary species and that men and women are not different.

And who could forget the Manchester university student union banning clapping at their meetings? Inclusion for the 'oppressed', virtue signalling, and the like are forms of liberal fascism that chew out anyone who isn't 'progressive' enough..

So there you go: direct, authoritarian rules that dictate how you should speak and behave.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2018 10:57]
V For Vendetta (2005) on 11:17 - Oct 12 with 972 viewspeenemunde

V For Vendetta (2005) on 10:51 - Oct 12 by Glossolalia

In terms of intolerance and authoritarianism, it is the far left who currently pose the biggest threat.
We're talking compelled speech (Article C16 in Canada; check it out); a complete lack of accommodation for those even slightly conservative (see the 'gay cake' saga); and a labeling of those with other views as something -phobic.

This is happening now. We are witnessing the erosion of open debate for the sake of, god forbid, not offending anyone. Safe spaces in university campuses! Gender courses that insist we are not a binary species and that men and women are not different.

And who could forget the Manchester university student union banning clapping at their meetings? Inclusion for the 'oppressed', virtue signalling, and the like are forms of liberal fascism that chew out anyone who isn't 'progressive' enough..

So there you go: direct, authoritarian rules that dictate how you should speak and behave.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2018 10:57]

And will eventually cause a huge backlash. Sooner the better.
V For Vendetta (2005) on 15:30 - Oct 12 with 907 viewsAce_Jack

Brazils new President has spoken in favor of dictatorship.

Saudi Arabia and Turkey just murdered a journalist for an American publication inside an embassy.

Russia committed a chemical attack on British soil.

12000 people have been subject to extrajudicial killings in the Philippines.

The President of the United States has praised despots in vile regimes such as Turkey and North Korea.

Tell me again how a gay cake in Canada is the biggest threat to western democracy.
V For Vendetta (2005) on 15:50 - Oct 12 with 901 viewsBatterseajack

V For Vendetta (2005) on 15:30 - Oct 12 by Ace_Jack

Saudi Arabia and Turkey just murdered a journalist for an American publication inside an embassy.

The President of the United States has praised despots in vile regimes such as Turkey and North Korea.

Tell me again how a gay cake in Canada is the biggest threat to western democracy.

Add to that, how many far right political killings or acts of terrorism have we had since Anders Breivik went on his rampage.
V For Vendetta (2005) on 17:00 - Oct 12 with 854 viewsGlossolalia

A spurious argument indeed, to belittle legitimate threats to our personal freedom because somewhere else, bad things are happening. I take that as a given.

Not a gay cake in Canada mate, so instead sounding ignorant, which you patently do, actually look into it.

Any extremism is bad, left or right. But if you wanna look at the threat to us, in our country, in our day-to-day lives, it is the liberal fascists most likely to stifle your freedom of expression. Any stupid c unt could blow himself up or mow people down as they walk down the street, of course. But if we are taking about controlling behaviour and even speech, look (actually look this time) at Article C16 in Canada,

There is a thread on this forum, right now, about banning the word Jesus from carols. Who decides this? The left wingers who propound multiculturalism as the best thing around, while at the same time diluting Western traditions for the sake of spurious integration.

It doesn't work.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2018 17:05]
V For Vendetta (2005) on 17:10 - Oct 12 with 843 viewsProfessor

Turkey, whatever you think or Erdogan, are not implicated in the journalist’s murder. They are the ones pursuing the Saudis over it. Duerte is remarkably popular in the Philippines as is Putin in Russia. Values differ around the world.
Login to get fewer ads

V For Vendetta (2005) on 19:18 - Oct 12 with 813 viewsJack_Meoff

V For Vendetta (2005) on 10:12 - Oct 12 by Professor

Alan Moore's original comic was produced in the mid-80s-in some ways a similar 40 years ahead thought to Orwell's 1984. I think both V and Watchmen (another classic) have very prophetic elements. Both are good films, but neither quite nail the original comic/graphic novels. I would also recommend the 'Maus' series if you are interested in interpreting political history in a different way and for entertainment you can't beat Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman'.

I like Stephen Fry's character in 'V" and Stephen Rea as the policeman. Interesting than having a copy of the Quran is illegal in 'V". There are some who would wish this to happen.

Absolutely classic graphic novel. Used to love it back in the day. My younger self didn't envisage watching the dystopian future contained within unfurl before his very eyes though, I must confess. Although like you said, it was forty years after Orwell, and fifty odd after Huxley...

Loved the Sandman too, brilliant the way he tied in so many mythological and religious stories, characters and archetypes. Not read it in many years, may have a trip up the attic later!

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

V For Vendetta (2005) on 19:46 - Oct 12 with 800 viewsProfessor

V For Vendetta (2005) on 19:18 - Oct 12 by Jack_Meoff

Absolutely classic graphic novel. Used to love it back in the day. My younger self didn't envisage watching the dystopian future contained within unfurl before his very eyes though, I must confess. Although like you said, it was forty years after Orwell, and fifty odd after Huxley...

Loved the Sandman too, brilliant the way he tied in so many mythological and religious stories, characters and archetypes. Not read it in many years, may have a trip up the attic later!

Prefer ‘A Brave New World’ to ‘1984’. I saw a stage adaptation of 1984 about 3 years ago In London with Catrin Stewart as Julia. Was brilliant and electrifying-hit me in a way films don’t.

The Sandman series is so well thought out. Don’t have them all but picked up a few very cheaply in the early 2000s. I think ‘Preludes and nocturnes’ is my favourite graphic novel.
V For Vendetta (2005) on 21:22 - Oct 12 with 765 viewsomarjack

Bolsonaro is like the real life Adam Sutler ffs

Saudis and Erdogan are a hellish force of evil and ultra conservatism.

Dutuerte is a nutter.

Trump is a grotesque embodiment of all dictators and psychos all over the world.

Harsh times indeed.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

V For Vendetta (2005) on 08:54 - Oct 13 with 716 viewspeenemunde

V For Vendetta (2005) on 21:22 - Oct 12 by omarjack

Bolsonaro is like the real life Adam Sutler ffs

Saudis and Erdogan are a hellish force of evil and ultra conservatism.

Dutuerte is a nutter.

Trump is a grotesque embodiment of all dictators and psychos all over the world.

Harsh times indeed.

Trump is democratically in place , so he’s not a dictator at all
V For Vendetta (2005) on 10:41 - Oct 13 with 680 viewssg1912

V For Vendetta (2005) on 15:50 - Oct 12 by Batterseajack

Add to that, how many far right political killings or acts of terrorism have we had since Anders Breivik went on his rampage.

..not that many in comparison to Islamic terrorism, which could be argued has occurred as a result of left wing policies
V For Vendetta (2005) on 10:54 - Oct 13 with 671 viewsMo_Wives

God damn. Has Omar been watching a film produced by the establishment and thinking he's receiving an anti establishment message again? Shocking.

Is he also worrying about a new system which may replace the current system in 10 or 15 years while watching a movie that has inspired a generation of dolts to start tearing down the current system which will have to be replaced by a new system? You know the current system where he feels safe. The system that has done more for equal rights and freedom than any other in history. But that's OK...at least a bunch of losers get to dress up in masks that they bought from a corporation, that they saw in a film made by a corporation, while playing revolutionaries and raging against corporations.

Ordo ab chao - The west is f*cked

Good luck, Mr Cooper

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024