Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 07:56 - Oct 12 with 17322 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Come on you Swans.

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 00:46 - Oct 14 with 1422 viewsChief

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 00:20 - Oct 14 by E20Jack

Showed signs of the right ideas but signings like Sanches and us not being able to get Chadli scuppered that. It isn't a magic wand where it improves overnight, you need the right players and time for it to be implemented. Now we are seeing the benefits of the likes of Roberts now fitting in seamlessly to that style as he was prepped for it long before.

So no then, the style of play wasn't great on the eye last season without Siggy. A wonderful passing magician who'd absolutely thrive (like he has previously) in a team where the manager had the balls to play the passing game we know and love. Which now we don't have the threat of relegation hanging over us and a new season is far easier to implement.

Was sending Roberts on loan to Garry Monks Middlesbrough part of his 'prepping'?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 00:55 - Oct 14 with 1415 viewsE20Jack

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 00:46 - Oct 14 by Chief

So no then, the style of play wasn't great on the eye last season without Siggy. A wonderful passing magician who'd absolutely thrive (like he has previously) in a team where the manager had the balls to play the passing game we know and love. Which now we don't have the threat of relegation hanging over us and a new season is far easier to implement.

Was sending Roberts on loan to Garry Monks Middlesbrough part of his 'prepping'?

Correct, It's a no - but not for the reasons you are implying. It's a no because it takes time to restore, not because it was a mistake for trying.

Are you calling Gylfi a ''passing magician''? seriously? I would say his passing is among what makes him such a limited player, it is at times painful to watch, especially when trying to build a quick attack.

Yes sending Roberts on loan was absolutely part of his preparation for first team football, do you think it wasn't?

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 01:04 - Oct 14 with 1407 viewsChief

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 00:55 - Oct 14 by E20Jack

Correct, It's a no - but not for the reasons you are implying. It's a no because it takes time to restore, not because it was a mistake for trying.

Are you calling Gylfi a ''passing magician''? seriously? I would say his passing is among what makes him such a limited player, it is at times painful to watch, especially when trying to build a quick attack.

Yes sending Roberts on loan was absolutely part of his preparation for first team football, do you think it wasn't?

It does take time to restore. But Potters managed it very quickly. The contrast to last seasons style is stark. So not overnight, but over a summer. So it is do-able in a relatively short space of time although easier now due to the reasons I've said earlier.

Yes iam calling him that some of his link up play and assists (and im not talking the pin point crosses here either) were great over the years. Ball to Olsson against Leicester comes to mind.

Part of his preparation to first team football yes (although he hardly got any there). Part of 'prepping' him to play in a passing style of football? No, don't be silly. If that was the plan he wouldn't have been loaned to Boro!

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 01:21 - Oct 14 with 1389 viewsE20Jack

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 01:04 - Oct 14 by Chief

It does take time to restore. But Potters managed it very quickly. The contrast to last seasons style is stark. So not overnight, but over a summer. So it is do-able in a relatively short space of time although easier now due to the reasons I've said earlier.

Yes iam calling him that some of his link up play and assists (and im not talking the pin point crosses here either) were great over the years. Ball to Olsson against Leicester comes to mind.

Part of his preparation to first team football yes (although he hardly got any there). Part of 'prepping' him to play in a passing style of football? No, don't be silly. If that was the plan he wouldn't have been loaned to Boro!

He has done it quickly based on a plan that was in action long before. The U-23's played some fantastic stuff in winning the title and were playing in the right way. He now has players comfortable in that style.

Gylfi had some nice touches, that backheel for example was lovely as was some of his work with Bony at times, but to call him a passing magician or even hinting that it is something of a strength is wide of the mark. His stats were consistently low backed up by what we were seeing on the pitch, his assists in the main come from set pieces - which he is excellent at. He was slow and cumbersome on the ball, infuriating to watch. His work rate was exceptional as were his set pieces and long range shooting, the rest of his game is average - which is why he played most of his career at Reading, Swansea and Everton unable to make a mark at anyone better.

Of course Roberts would have been loaned to Boro. Exposure to that level of football while coming back and playing passing style here was absolutely vital in his prep and I am sure he would tell you the same.

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 01:42 - Oct 14 with 1373 viewsChief

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 01:21 - Oct 14 by E20Jack

He has done it quickly based on a plan that was in action long before. The U-23's played some fantastic stuff in winning the title and were playing in the right way. He now has players comfortable in that style.

Gylfi had some nice touches, that backheel for example was lovely as was some of his work with Bony at times, but to call him a passing magician or even hinting that it is something of a strength is wide of the mark. His stats were consistently low backed up by what we were seeing on the pitch, his assists in the main come from set pieces - which he is excellent at. He was slow and cumbersome on the ball, infuriating to watch. His work rate was exceptional as were his set pieces and long range shooting, the rest of his game is average - which is why he played most of his career at Reading, Swansea and Everton unable to make a mark at anyone better.

Of course Roberts would have been loaned to Boro. Exposure to that level of football while coming back and playing passing style here was absolutely vital in his prep and I am sure he would tell you the same.

Yes the u23s have been great&us dropping has given then the chance to graduate to the first team.

Im amazed any swans fan would say he was cumbersome on the ball! He wasnt the type of player to go dribbling past players but his intelligence meant he didn't have to. Infuriating to watch!! For 99% of his time at Swans he was an absolute pleasure to watch. We were very lucky to have him. His shooting - superb, would fit in seamlessly in a team where the wingers get round the back and deliver low crosses across the box or back to the edge of the box (Montero, Dan James), imagine utilising his tremendous work rate in a slick passing side, it would fit like a glove!

Well as I said he played very little football at Boro, probably a complete waste of everyone's time that move. And despite you trying to shoehorn it into your version of events, loaning him there totally goes against the mantra of prepping him to play in a passing football team.

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 02:09 - Oct 14 with 1348 viewsE20Jack

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 01:42 - Oct 14 by Chief

Yes the u23s have been great&us dropping has given then the chance to graduate to the first team.

Im amazed any swans fan would say he was cumbersome on the ball! He wasnt the type of player to go dribbling past players but his intelligence meant he didn't have to. Infuriating to watch!! For 99% of his time at Swans he was an absolute pleasure to watch. We were very lucky to have him. His shooting - superb, would fit in seamlessly in a team where the wingers get round the back and deliver low crosses across the box or back to the edge of the box (Montero, Dan James), imagine utilising his tremendous work rate in a slick passing side, it would fit like a glove!

Well as I said he played very little football at Boro, probably a complete waste of everyone's time that move. And despite you trying to shoehorn it into your version of events, loaning him there totally goes against the mantra of prepping him to play in a passing football team.

I think there is certainly some dewy eyed memory distorting going on when it comes to Gylfi. I don't think you could describe him anything other than slow or cumbersome on the ball.

There is no way it is accurate to say that 99% of the time he was a pleasure to watch. If it wasn't for some astute managerial changes at key times he would have led the side to relegation in successive seasons. We were dire, as was he.

You didn't ask about his time at Boro, you asked if loaning him to Boro was part of his prep for first team status. Of course it was, that isn't shoehorning anything, just the way it is. You are confusing result with action, one of many to continually do this, if something doesn't work that doesn't change the intention of the action.

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 07:03 - Oct 14 with 1318 viewspeenemunde

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 05:56 - Oct 13 by E20Jack

Aye, and Ryan Fraser is the best midfielder in the Premier League isn't he.

Real Madrid are coming calling I heard. Just like they were when Leon had better passing stats that Xavi and Iniesta when Leon was in the PL.

FYI the Gower stats were also from the Premier League, not the Championship.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 6:07]

Ffs. Who are you trying to convince.
GS is a superb player.
You and the res have found yourself in a hole regarding GS. Stop digging.
Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 07:21 - Oct 14 with 1313 viewsE20Jack

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 07:03 - Oct 14 by peenemunde

Ffs. Who are you trying to convince.
GS is a superb player.
You and the res have found yourself in a hole regarding GS. Stop digging.

I most certainly have not. I barely mentioned him other than to agree that selling him was for the good of the side due to the money we would get and the change of style that could happen as a result (which has). I made no comments on ability to my knowledge. I did call him utterly unprofessional when he refused to play or train however - is that what you are referring to?

This is, as usual with me, fresh untampered eyes devoid of agenda. Gylfi is a decent player with superb free kick taking ability. Pretending he is some footballing genius however, is just ridiculous.

He’s fine.

Login to get fewer ads

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:03 - Oct 14 with 1301 views34dfgdf54

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 22:29 - Oct 13 by E20Jack

Of course that just means you haven’t been able to understand it.

Which judging from previous conversations we had, it is hardly surprising.

The money we spent directly from his sale provided the recyclable find that allowed us to get the likes if Celina, Potter and his team.

Tell me which bit confuses you and I will go through it step by step.

The money we got directly off his sale, was spent on players who weren’t good enough, and we got relegated.

Stop trying to dress everything up.

You’re really starting to embarrass yourself on here.
Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:07 - Oct 14 with 1291 viewsE20Jack

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:03 - Oct 14 by 34dfgdf54

The money we got directly off his sale, was spent on players who weren’t good enough, and we got relegated.

Stop trying to dress everything up.

You’re really starting to embarrass yourself on here.

What am I dressing up exactly? You just don’t understand the simplest of points... again.

That money was recycled. It enabled us to sign Potter, his backroom staff and the likes of Celina. In fact the very side that everyone is now wetting themselves over.

I literally cannot say it any clearer.

Being correct is never embarrassing. Ever.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2018 8:16]

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:15 - Oct 14 with 1284 viewsE20Jack

Here we go, one of my famous examples when people are intentionally not understanding (or possibly even unintentionally in your case).

A computer company is going downhill fast, performance is terrible - they have a super computer that they revolve everything around in terms of creating algorithms for other companies, but they were losing money and desperately trying to keep their head above water.

One person (two people) had the idea to sell the super computer for a hell of a lot of money, far more than expected, in an effort to reinvent the company and restore it to former glories. They sell it and buy in some computer chip makers. They were faulty so sold at a loss as the company continued its slide - in order to buy more suitable ones.

That company then shows all the hallmarks of the old one with the balance sheet looking more sustainable and a much nicer environment. The buzz around the company is now back that was missing for years.

It was the sale of that computer which allowed this to happen.

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:20 - Oct 14 with 1283 viewsjack247

A few points on this

Siggy,and to a lesser extent Joe Allen, should probably have their own board on here so the people that still pine for them can crack on and discuss every goal they score.

He wanted to go, refused to go on a pre season tour and we got a huge offer for him, selling him was without doubt the right thing to do. Dragging it out for a few months and then not being able to replace him properly wasn’t.

We spent the proceeds on Mesa, Clucas, Bony, Ayew and loans that didn’t work out, that’s what relegated us.
Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:34 - Oct 14 with 1278 viewsE20Jack

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:20 - Oct 14 by jack247

A few points on this

Siggy,and to a lesser extent Joe Allen, should probably have their own board on here so the people that still pine for them can crack on and discuss every goal they score.

He wanted to go, refused to go on a pre season tour and we got a huge offer for him, selling him was without doubt the right thing to do. Dragging it out for a few months and then not being able to replace him properly wasn’t.

We spent the proceeds on Mesa, Clucas, Bony, Ayew and loans that didn’t work out, that’s what relegated us.

That didn’t relegate us.

Us not being good enough relegated us, we were in borrowed time long before we had that money. Only some inspired managerial firefighting appointments changed that. It was nearly the theme again barring 1 result.

We have had this discussion ad nauseum. What relegated us was the backbone of our team getting old and not being able to replace the spine of the side. Spiralling costs limited our options and we simply were just trying to survive, it was eventually going to come to an end and it is my firm belief it would have whether we sold him or not.

We were not good enough anymore. That simple.

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:56 - Oct 14 with 1272 views34dfgdf54

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:07 - Oct 14 by E20Jack

What am I dressing up exactly? You just don’t understand the simplest of points... again.

That money was recycled. It enabled us to sign Potter, his backroom staff and the likes of Celina. In fact the very side that everyone is now wetting themselves over.

The Siggy money, was used on players who ultimately failed and we lost further money on. There is none left and had no bearing on what Potter has done this summer.

Potter is here because we got relegated, are you trying to say that Relegation and losing a serious amount of money on players is in some way a success?

Like I said, you embarrass yourself daily.
Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 09:09 - Oct 14 with 1265 viewsjack247

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:34 - Oct 14 by E20Jack

That didn’t relegate us.

Us not being good enough relegated us, we were in borrowed time long before we had that money. Only some inspired managerial firefighting appointments changed that. It was nearly the theme again barring 1 result.

We have had this discussion ad nauseum. What relegated us was the backbone of our team getting old and not being able to replace the spine of the side. Spiralling costs limited our options and we simply were just trying to survive, it was eventually going to come to an end and it is my firm belief it would have whether we sold him or not.

We were not good enough anymore. That simple.

Doesn’t really matter how many times we have the discussion, we spent the Siggy/Llorente/Cork money on 6 players who to greater or lesser extents failed, plus Andy King, who I thought did well. If two or three of those had performed, I’m sure we would have survived.

As I have told you before, I agree relegation was inevitable at some point, it certainly wasn’t inevitable last season. Catastrophic recruitment relegated us last season.

Yes, I agree we would have gone down eventually with or without Sigurdsson.
Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 09:26 - Oct 14 with 1252 viewsE20Jack

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:56 - Oct 14 by 34dfgdf54

The Siggy money, was used on players who ultimately failed and we lost further money on. There is none left and had no bearing on what Potter has done this summer.

Potter is here because we got relegated, are you trying to say that Relegation and losing a serious amount of money on players is in some way a success?

Like I said, you embarrass yourself daily.

What on earth are you talking about?

Selling Gylfi was a success. It was his transfer money that HAS (this is a fact) led to us being able to appoint Potter, his backroom staff and thye players you are now wetting yourself over.

You are right, I am embarrassed, painfully embarrassed for you that you cannot grasp this concept.

If I sold my prize Merc, spent the money on a Range Rover, sold that at a loss and bought an undervalued gem which turned out to be a collectors item - the money to buy that came from the initial sale of the Merc (swap the Merc for Gylfi and hopefully that will then sink in).
[Post edited 14 Oct 2018 9:34]

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 09:33 - Oct 14 with 1248 viewsE20Jack

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 09:09 - Oct 14 by jack247

Doesn’t really matter how many times we have the discussion, we spent the Siggy/Llorente/Cork money on 6 players who to greater or lesser extents failed, plus Andy King, who I thought did well. If two or three of those had performed, I’m sure we would have survived.

As I have told you before, I agree relegation was inevitable at some point, it certainly wasn’t inevitable last season. Catastrophic recruitment relegated us last season.

Yes, I agree we would have gone down eventually with or without Sigurdsson.

As I have replied to your “inevitable but not inevitable” comment - it makes no sense.

If you agree it was inevitable, then why can’t you always say “it wasn’t inevitable THAT season”... which by definition makes it ‘not inevitable’.

The fact it was inevitable was due to our pool of options becoming smaller and smaller to a point where signings inevitably won’t work out. That’s what inevitably happened last season. It was the byproduct of inevitability.

You honestly can’t agree it was inevitable and then say it wasn’t when it happens. It’s mental.

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 09:38 - Oct 14 with 1243 viewsE20Jack

Back to you 247. I know you like my analogies.

I think we can both agree that a coin, if flipped, will inevitably land on heads eventually. Yes? (In fact, unlike the coin which is the same regardless, in football - the more seasons played for a side like us the chances get greater).

I flip it, it lands on heads...

You then tell me “yeah but it wasn’t inevitable on that flip”.

The fact it is inevitable means it is inevitable. You can’t pick and choose. Especially when all the trends, reasoning and odds pointed to it long before the event (that comment was back to football again).
[Post edited 14 Oct 2018 9:42]

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 09:49 - Oct 14 with 1226 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:20 - Oct 14 by jack247

A few points on this

Like lovesick teenagers on here some of them. What the hell is the point of threads like these?
Have an up arrow for your realism and sanity.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 09:57 - Oct 14 with 1221 viewsChief

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 02:09 - Oct 14 by E20Jack

I think there is certainly some dewy eyed memory distorting going on when it comes to Gylfi. I don't think you could describe him anything other than slow or cumbersome on the ball.

There is no way it is accurate to say that 99% of the time he was a pleasure to watch. If it wasn't for some astute managerial changes at key times he would have led the side to relegation in successive seasons. We were dire, as was he.

You didn't ask about his time at Boro, you asked if loaning him to Boro was part of his prep for first team status. Of course it was, that isn't shoehorning anything, just the way it is. You are confusing result with action, one of many to continually do this, if something doesn't work that doesn't change the intention of the action.

Completely disagree with this slow and cumbersome on the ball, if this was the case, surely he'd have been tackled a lot. In reality that barely happened! Ki or Carroll far more at fault in that respect.

With Siggys stats how could you say he was dire? All those assists and goals kept us up - while most of the team around him was dire. He wouldn't have led the side the relegation, Clement for example used him and Llorentes strengths when we seemed doomed, wasn't pretty sometimes but I understand why it needed to be done.

You said he had been prepped in playing the passing the style and I asked if loaning him to Boro was a part of this plan. You think it was, I completely disagree. In hindsight OK I know it didn't work out (although you could say it didn't do him.any harm) but from the outside that was just a loan to the biggest club that showed an interest, not one that would give him experience or help him get used to a passing style.

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 10:04 - Oct 14 with 1216 viewsChief

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 08:07 - Oct 14 by E20Jack

Why are you saying that the Siggy money went to appointing a manager that was appointed a year after Siggy left? We spent a lot of money during that period on other players too.

And Celina, surely to funds to buy him came from the sales of players this summer?

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 10:18 - Oct 14 with 1206 viewsE20Jack

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 09:57 - Oct 14 by Chief

Completely disagree with this slow and cumbersome on the ball, if this was the case, surely he'd have been tackled a lot. In reality that barely happened! Ki or Carroll far more at fault in that respect.

With Siggys stats how could you say he was dire? All those assists and goals kept us up - while most of the team around him was dire. He wouldn't have led the side the relegation, Clement for example used him and Llorentes strengths when we seemed doomed, wasn't pretty sometimes but I understand why it needed to be done.

You said he had been prepped in playing the passing the style and I asked if loaning him to Boro was a part of this plan. You think it was, I completely disagree. In hindsight OK I know it didn't work out (although you could say it didn't do him.any harm) but from the outside that was just a loan to the biggest club that showed an interest, not one that would give him experience or help him get used to a passing style.

What do you mean he wasn’t tackled? He was very slow on the ball. Surely that isn’t even in question?

You are referring to part of a season though. A part in which every single attack was aimed toward him or Llorente. Prior to those instructions can you give me the stats that season? He along with the rest of the team were horrendous. Llorente was even worse mind, he looked utterly hideous. Make no mistake that side would have been relegated with or without him, it was a matter of when and he knew that too.

Of course it was part of the plan, the U23s played fantastic football, the loan to Boro was with a view for first ten experience. It was all part of the plan to develop him into the player he is today and enable him to step up seamlessly into the role he has. It wasn’t pure luck as some would love to suggest.

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 10:22 - Oct 14 with 1204 viewsE20Jack

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 10:04 - Oct 14 by Chief

Why are you saying that the Siggy money went to appointing a manager that was appointed a year after Siggy left? We spent a lot of money during that period on other players too.

And Celina, surely to funds to buy him came from the sales of players this summer?

I can’t explain it any clearer Chief.

We don’t have surplus cash. Our income goes on wages. We sell to buy. We sold him, bought players to try and regenerate, didn’t work so sold them and it worked - without the Siggy sale there is no Potter.

Potter was an expensive signature at a time when we were desperate to fill a financial hole. It would have been easier to stick with the cheap Carvalhal. Without the money tied up and about to be released in the likes of Clucas there would be no chance on earth we would be buying Celina for £3m and financing a whole new managerial team. None.

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 10:28 - Oct 14 with 1192 viewsjack247

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 09:38 - Oct 14 by E20Jack

Back to you 247. I know you like my analogies.

I think we can both agree that a coin, if flipped, will inevitably land on heads eventually. Yes? (In fact, unlike the coin which is the same regardless, in football - the more seasons played for a side like us the chances get greater).

I flip it, it lands on heads...

You then tell me “yeah but it wasn’t inevitable on that flip”.

The fact it is inevitable means it is inevitable. You can’t pick and choose. Especially when all the trends, reasoning and odds pointed to it long before the event (that comment was back to football again).
[Post edited 14 Oct 2018 9:42]

You’re inevitably going to die. You’re not inevitably going to die this year.

If you think relegation was inevitable last season, this discussion is over.
Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 10:30 - Oct 14 with 1191 viewspeenemunde

Chances Created in the Premier League. Sigurdsson is currently #1 on 07:21 - Oct 14 by E20Jack

I most certainly have not. I barely mentioned him other than to agree that selling him was for the good of the side due to the money we would get and the change of style that could happen as a result (which has). I made no comments on ability to my knowledge. I did call him utterly unprofessional when he refused to play or train however - is that what you are referring to?

This is, as usual with me, fresh untampered eyes devoid of agenda. Gylfi is a decent player with superb free kick taking ability. Pretending he is some footballing genius however, is just ridiculous.

He’s fine.

Who said he is a footballing genius ?
In terms of ability, he is/was the absolute limit of quality player that a club like Swansea could attract.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024