Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Continuing the theme of banning Christmas 09:39 - Oct 13 with 3248 viewswaynekerr55

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/cambridge-university-

My question for the pre social media people - did bat shít crack ideas such as changing the concept of remembrance day exist forever or is it now the case that we get to see more of it due to wider access to reporting and a larger population? Or are we, as a society changing ?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 18:00 - Oct 13 with 2373 viewsCatullus

It's not extreme patriotism or imperialistic to recognise the incredibly brave men and women who have fought in wars to protect freedom and democracy, not just this country either.
Yoy don't have to have to like war, agree with war or support a war to accept that people have made tremendous sacrifices so people today have the freedom to behave like these Cambridge students.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 18:00 - Oct 13 with 2373 viewslonglostjack

The media seems to exaggerate everything. That coupled with technology and 24/7 news. Hands up - who was really aware of tsunamis back in the 80ies?

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 18:08 - Oct 13 with 2366 viewslonglostjack

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 18:00 - Oct 13 by Catullus

It's not extreme patriotism or imperialistic to recognise the incredibly brave men and women who have fought in wars to protect freedom and democracy, not just this country either.
Yoy don't have to have to like war, agree with war or support a war to accept that people have made tremendous sacrifices so people today have the freedom to behave like these Cambridge students.

Very true. But it does seem that people who have never experienced the horrors of war seem to relish talking about it. Whereas those who did .....

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 18:11 - Oct 13 with 2360 viewsexiledclaseboy

Poppy fascism season is fast approaching.

Poll: Tory leader

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 18:13 - Oct 13 with 2359 viewsCatullus

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 18:08 - Oct 13 by longlostjack

Very true. But it does seem that people who have never experienced the horrors of war seem to relish talking about it. Whereas those who did .....

As I have posted elsewhere, my grandfather was a Royal Marine Commando in WW2. Though a hero to me he never talked about it, so yes, you are partly right.
Conversely a friend who was in the Paras didn't mind telling me what it was like in Northern Ireland in "the troubles" and things he saw and did. We are all different.

I don't glorify war or think it heroic and glorious but that's different to respecting those who served.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 18:17 - Oct 13 with 2356 viewslonglostjack

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 18:13 - Oct 13 by Catullus

As I have posted elsewhere, my grandfather was a Royal Marine Commando in WW2. Though a hero to me he never talked about it, so yes, you are partly right.
Conversely a friend who was in the Paras didn't mind telling me what it was like in Northern Ireland in "the troubles" and things he saw and did. We are all different.

I don't glorify war or think it heroic and glorious but that's different to respecting those who served.

I didn’t suggest for one moment that you did mate. Apologies if my post led you to think so.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 18:20]

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 18:25 - Oct 13 with 2342 viewsLeonWasGod

Talking about Christmas, I wandered into Wyvale today over past the Liberty to have a look at fish tanks as I'm thinking of getting one for my daughter's bedroom (i.e. it's another room I can have another tank in!).

Anyhow, fecking Christmas displays are all up already. I'd like to see that banned and the people responsible made to crawl through the city centre on the end of dog leads. Naked. In snow. Bunch of wazzocks.
Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:01 - Oct 13 with 2302 viewspeenemunde

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 18:11 - Oct 13 by exiledclaseboy

Poppy fascism season is fast approaching.

Come on stop being a coward just for a day and admit what you really think of the poppy appeal.
Login to get fewer ads

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:06 - Oct 13 with 2296 viewsexiledclaseboy

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:01 - Oct 13 by peenemunde

Come on stop being a coward just for a day and admit what you really think of the poppy appeal.

Ok I’ll admit it. I contribute to the Royal British Legion poppy appeal every year. As do most people no doubt.

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:11 - Oct 13 with 2289 viewspeenemunde

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:06 - Oct 13 by exiledclaseboy

Ok I’ll admit it. I contribute to the Royal British Legion poppy appeal every year. As do most people no doubt.

Let’s be honest here. You dislike the poppy appeal, regardless of your contribution.
Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:19 - Oct 13 with 2283 viewsexiledclaseboy

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:11 - Oct 13 by peenemunde

Let’s be honest here. You dislike the poppy appeal, regardless of your contribution.

Well if I did I wouldn’t contribute. I have no issue with what the Legion does for current and former service men and women and their families. I think the Royal British Legion is an upstanding organisation.

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:20 - Oct 13 with 2278 viewspeenemunde

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:19 - Oct 13 by exiledclaseboy

Well if I did I wouldn’t contribute. I have no issue with what the Legion does for current and former service men and women and their families. I think the Royal British Legion is an upstanding organisation.

Not necessarily after all you dislike the Daily Mail, but still admit to reading it.
Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:23 - Oct 13 with 2272 viewsexiledclaseboy

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:20 - Oct 13 by peenemunde

Not necessarily after all you dislike the Daily Mail, but still admit to reading it.

I dislike most of your posts but I still read many of them. Who only wants to read things they agree with? And reading the daily mail doesn’t mean parting with any money.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 19:23]

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:24 - Oct 13 with 2268 viewspeenemunde

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:23 - Oct 13 by exiledclaseboy

I dislike most of your posts but I still read many of them. Who only wants to read things they agree with? And reading the daily mail doesn’t mean parting with any money.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 19:23]

Slightly different but there you go.
Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:30 - Oct 13 with 2259 viewsexiledclaseboy

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:24 - Oct 13 by peenemunde

Slightly different but there you go.

So do you only read things you agree with?

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:38 - Oct 13 with 2246 viewswaynekerr55

Any chance of an answer to the OP?

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:42 - Oct 13 with 2242 viewspeenemunde

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:30 - Oct 13 by exiledclaseboy

So do you only read things you agree with?

I certainly wouldn’t read anything I’m ideological opposed too, what’s the point ?
I already know I won’t agree with what they have to say.
Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:56 - Oct 13 with 2223 viewslonglostjack

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:42 - Oct 13 by peenemunde

I certainly wouldn’t read anything I’m ideological opposed too, what’s the point ?
I already know I won’t agree with what they have to say.

Come on Peens. You’re better than that. Man up.

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 20:10 - Oct 13 with 2203 viewsJack_Meoff

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:38 - Oct 13 by waynekerr55

Well as you asked I can't see how this is 'changing the concept of remembrance day.' This issue seems to be limited to Cambridge University.

It was a motion by CUCA that, after amendments, wasn't accepted by the student union council. There's not a lot of context to go on - no clips of said 'heated debate', and no lengthy excerpts from either the motion itself or the amendments. Very little content at all.

Not sure why you're trying to tie this in with the faux indignation of those who get taken in by the annual fanny about Christmas being banned due to offending minorities. Apples and oranges.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 20:56]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 20:19 - Oct 13 with 2187 viewspeenemunde

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:56 - Oct 13 by longlostjack

Come on Peens. You’re better than that. Man up.

Someone has been drinking again 😂
Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 20:49 - Oct 13 with 2147 viewslonglostjack

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 20:19 - Oct 13 by peenemunde

Someone has been drinking again 😂

Not at all. What’s your obsession with age and drink?

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 21:02 - Oct 13 with 2128 viewswaynekerr55

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 20:10 - Oct 13 by Jack_Meoff

Well as you asked I can't see how this is 'changing the concept of remembrance day.' This issue seems to be limited to Cambridge University.

It was a motion by CUCA that, after amendments, wasn't accepted by the student union council. There's not a lot of context to go on - no clips of said 'heated debate', and no lengthy excerpts from either the motion itself or the amendments. Very little content at all.

Not sure why you're trying to tie this in with the faux indignation of those who get taken in by the annual fanny about Christmas being banned due to offending minorities. Apples and oranges.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2018 20:56]

Apologies for the confusion in my language. What I (poorly) tried to articulate was to ask if (in my opinion) the increase in leftfield thinking is just more visible due to media or whether it is a change in society

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 21:14 - Oct 13 with 2113 viewsJack_Meoff

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 21:02 - Oct 13 by waynekerr55

Apologies for the confusion in my language. What I (poorly) tried to articulate was to ask if (in my opinion) the increase in leftfield thinking is just more visible due to media or whether it is a change in society

Do you mean leftist rather than leftfield?

Depends on whether you think the media is led and influenced by society or if society is led and influenced by the media. The two aren't unrelated, at least in my opinion. Also consider that it's no coincidence that the Behavioural Insights Team are nicknamed 'The Nudge Unit.' I don't the parameters of conversation and debate are as organic in our society as we think they may be. The Overton Window overlooks only a certain garden.

Not sure if that's of any help

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 21:17 - Oct 13 with 2106 viewswaynekerr55

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 21:14 - Oct 13 by Jack_Meoff

Do you mean leftist rather than leftfield?

Depends on whether you think the media is led and influenced by society or if society is led and influenced by the media. The two aren't unrelated, at least in my opinion. Also consider that it's no coincidence that the Behavioural Insights Team are nicknamed 'The Nudge Unit.' I don't the parameters of conversation and debate are as organic in our society as we think they may be. The Overton Window overlooks only a certain garden.

Not sure if that's of any help

It's a very interesting topic.

For the avoidance of doubt, it's leftfield. Both extremes of left and right are an abomination...

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 21:23 - Oct 13 with 2099 viewsLeonWasGod

Continuing the theme of banning Christmas on 19:38 - Oct 13 by waynekerr55

Not now peewee has turned up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024