Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd 11:26 - Oct 15 with 28897 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 20 Oct 2018 14:59]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 20:25 - Oct 20 with 1673 viewsFireboy2

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 16:50 - Oct 20 by Lord_Bony

Why the feck could nt Abraham play like this when he was here?

He scored from 1 headed chance

Apart from that he was sh!t
The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 20:29 - Oct 20 with 1666 viewsploppy

Nordfeldt worries me. He should be dealing with crosses/corners landing in the 6-yard box. Instead he's rooted to his line. If I was Mulder, I'd be majorly unhappy.

Barrie McKay - not good enough.

Celina - disappointing.

How many times did we give the ball away in midfield? Leroy was most guilty, dithering on the ball, but wasn't the only one.

We looked better when Carroll came on. Who knew.

That's all.

Edit: Oh, and Villa were bang average.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2018 20:29]
The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 20:35 - Oct 20 with 1652 views3swan

A few thoughts

Before the game
Surprised with the selection of Nordfeldt, McKay and Harries
The game itself, we gave them the first half, due to the team not competing against a Villa team that were more up for it than us. Very poor goal to give away.
Shows how average Villa are that it was only 1-0 at HT.
Second half after the changes we did at least give it a go but again could have been caught out. We do need to be more positive in the last third as we give defences time to regroup.
This season can go either way, the young group of lads develop, or the pressure can work against an inexperienced squad. A bit of luck and we could have come away with a point, but in reality with the chances it still didn’t feel as if we had it in us to score.
I will question GP’s continued changes to the starting line up as we are giving the initiative away early in games. We do need a settled team selection where players can build up a relationship with more or less the same players around them.
The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 20:41 - Oct 20 with 1634 viewsFireboy2

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 20:29 - Oct 20 by ploppy

Nordfeldt worries me. He should be dealing with crosses/corners landing in the 6-yard box. Instead he's rooted to his line. If I was Mulder, I'd be majorly unhappy.

Celina - disappointing.

How many times did we give the ball away in midfield? Leroy was most guilty, dithering on the ball, but wasn't the only one.

That's all.

Agree with all of that apart from fer

He did give the ball away but not aa much as mckay and celina

Fvck i never thought id say that we were good with carroll on the park
The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 21:02 - Oct 20 with 1575 viewsBadlands

Is GP being too clever?

Not sure if injuries played a part but hat selection was a bit bonkers.
Playing Norfefldt over Mulder - can anyone see the reason?
Cian looked underprepared.
Roberts did well considering McKay was ahead of him - I would be looking to loan out or off-load McKay at the earliest opportunity - lacks speed, technique and desire.
How many chances does Mc Burnie need? If we are keeping the ball low try Astro in the centre because realistically, at very worst, it would make no difference.

I'm warning to Grimes especially as he has been messed around so much with position.
When Carroll comes on and improves the team it says a lot.

Irrespective of new manager and Doug Ellis tribute - this really should have been a guaranteed points game.

Really, really frustrated at today.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 21:23 - Oct 20 with 1532 viewslifelong

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 21:02 - Oct 20 by Badlands

Is GP being too clever?

Not sure if injuries played a part but hat selection was a bit bonkers.
Playing Norfefldt over Mulder - can anyone see the reason?
Cian looked underprepared.
Roberts did well considering McKay was ahead of him - I would be looking to loan out or off-load McKay at the earliest opportunity - lacks speed, technique and desire.
How many chances does Mc Burnie need? If we are keeping the ball low try Astro in the centre because realistically, at very worst, it would make no difference.

I'm warning to Grimes especially as he has been messed around so much with position.
When Carroll comes on and improves the team it says a lot.

Irrespective of new manager and Doug Ellis tribute - this really should have been a guaranteed points game.

Really, really frustrated at today.

Haven’t seen the game today, listened to the commentary on Radio Wales and couldn’t stick it longer than 20 minutes.
Just watched the brief highlights on Quest, chances for both sides, Roberts surely had to score to earn a point.
The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 21:28 - Oct 20 with 1510 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I have just remembered, we do have another Striker, somebody called Baker-Richardson.
I think he might have scored the last time he played and we haven't seen him since.
Not even on the bench.
The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 21:39 - Oct 20 with 1483 viewsploppy

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 20:41 - Oct 20 by Fireboy2

Agree with all of that apart from fer

He did give the ball away but not aa much as mckay and celina

Fvck i never thought id say that we were good with carroll on the park

The reason I picked on Fer was that he was robbed a few times in very dangerous positions. He has previous for doing this. Villa robbed him and were straight onto our back 3/4/5. Better strikers would have made us pay.
Login to get fewer ads

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 21:42 - Oct 20 with 1476 viewsjasper_T

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 21:28 - Oct 20 by A_Fans_Dad

I have just remembered, we do have another Striker, somebody called Baker-Richardson.
I think he might have scored the last time he played and we haven't seen him since.
Not even on the bench.

Being punished for the sitters he missed? If only McBurnie got the same treatment, eh.
The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 22:07 - Oct 20 with 1427 viewsymaohyd

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 20:22 - Oct 20 by AnotherJohn

The form table based on last 10 games has us in 18th place now. I don't blame Potter who has only had the most minimal backing. The young lads have done well, but the step up from u23 to Championship football is huge. Things could get very sticky as fatigue, injuries and suspensions kick in. At the moment we don't seem to have many players who can score a goal.

There it is....

Spot on.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 22:12 - Oct 20 with 1410 viewsLoyal

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 20:29 - Oct 20 by ploppy

Celina - disappointing.

That's all.

I get the feeling come January Mulder will be more than happy, but not at Swansea.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 22:36 - Oct 20 with 1367 viewsLoyal

Before I rest my weary head tonight please check out any villa forum, your real answers are all there regards today.

Majority making their keeper MOM.

Half full 👍

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 23:09 - Oct 20 with 1328 viewsKilkennyjack

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 20:22 - Oct 20 by AnotherJohn

The form table based on last 10 games has us in 18th place now. I don't blame Potter who has only had the most minimal backing. The young lads have done well, but the step up from u23 to Championship football is huge. Things could get very sticky as fatigue, injuries and suspensions kick in. At the moment we don't seem to have many players who can score a goal.

This is worrying.

Beware of the Risen People

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 23:24 - Oct 20 with 1302 viewsFireboy2

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 23:09 - Oct 20 by Kilkennyjack

This is worrying.

Mentioned this to a the northern jacks i was with after the game

We are slowly sliding and by january we 'could' be near the relegation spots

Feel for GP having to tinker because the likes of narsingh,dyer,routeledge,montero and bony cant be used

Absolutely fvcking shocking and we are being taken for a ride
The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 03:11 - Oct 21 with 1204 viewsLord_Bony

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 18:02 - Oct 20 by jackrmee

GP is clearly not interested in winning games this season as such. He's interested in performances, style, building up an identity, working out how to play best and who goes where.

If you're interest is only around getting 3 points then you're going to be disappointed more often than not I believe.

Ipswich was one of the most exciting games i have seen in a while and a very good performance, let down by some bad defending. The outcome was good in my point of view. No points, but some really good things to take forward.

The other game that stood out to me this season so far is Leeds draw. Again, no win, but performance was brilliant.

These are the games we need to look at.
Fuk 3 points. Don't really care about that at all. It's nice to win don't get me wrong, but I want to build for the future, play exciting football and have a chance to smash every kunt and get back to the prem in a few years.

Cardiff games again next year. Better to prepare now and do the business then tbh.

Yeah but points make prizes as Brucie used to say.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 04:50 - Oct 21 with 1180 viewsdameedna

Still like the look of this side. Plenty of chances from midfield. McBurnie had a good game again not sure why he would be criticised. Looked very composed. Villa got lucky today they must be thinking mid table and more signings in January. Pressure is on but I can see this side enjoying a some pressure I think we have a top 6 team again.
The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 08:18 - Oct 21 with 1101 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 21:23 - Oct 20 by lifelong

Haven’t seen the game today, listened to the commentary on Radio Wales and couldn’t stick it longer than 20 minutes.
Just watched the brief highlights on Quest, chances for both sides, Roberts surely had to score to earn a point.

Same here, and radio Wales commentary kept flip flopping between our game and Cardiff's, does that happen all the time?

Anyway yesterday's selection. With Potter himself saying it was going to be a difficult occasion due to the death of Doug Ellis (and the galvanizing effect of a new manager) - why start with 5 at the back with a very inexperienced centre back making a debut (of sorts - not sure if he played in the cardboard cup?) ?

Gabbidon said on Radio Wales that there seemed to be a big gap between defence and midfield and it sounds like this is where we gave the initiative away to villa and the goal. I'm really not a fan of this system, with Adomah a threat we really needed dedicated full backs and wingers as we sounded exposed down the flanks. Roberts was guilty of giving the ball away once or twice in dangerous circumstances but most of the midfield seemed to be doing that too.

I think that Potter should have a good idea of what does or doesn't work now and should play our strongest available side. At the moment that's going to mean a flat back four with Mulder behind (Roberts , VDH, Rodon, Grimes) then the big choice of who to partner Fer - Carroll or Naughton. Or maybe on certain occasions omit Fer for those two?

Celina would always be my number 10 pick and having those behind him will bring the best out of him. On the wings I think it's Dan James on the left and Mackay /Routledge in the right . Possibly starting Routs and using Mackay as an impact sub (same with Jeff coming on for DJ when he's fit). Ollie/ CBR rotating with Bony waiting in the wings.

Whilst some have said Potter is making the best of a difficult situation (and I take my hat of to him for how he's rejuvenated the club) I think he really needs to pick a settled side and keep faith in them. It's good that he can change the system when he needs to but like someone said earlier in some games we're wasting subs to get back to where we should have been due to a poorly selected starting X1.

Sorry for the rambling post (and I could be wrong) but that's how I see it. In all honesty Wigan and Ipswich were there for the taking and a draw was at least possible yesterday. We should be six points better off.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 08:38 - Oct 21 with 1090 viewsymaohyd

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 18:02 - Oct 20 by jackrmee

GP is clearly not interested in winning games this season as such. He's interested in performances, style, building up an identity, working out how to play best and who goes where.

If you're interest is only around getting 3 points then you're going to be disappointed more often than not I believe.

Ipswich was one of the most exciting games i have seen in a while and a very good performance, let down by some bad defending. The outcome was good in my point of view. No points, but some really good things to take forward.

The other game that stood out to me this season so far is Leeds draw. Again, no win, but performance was brilliant.

These are the games we need to look at.
Fuk 3 points. Don't really care about that at all. It's nice to win don't get me wrong, but I want to build for the future, play exciting football and have a chance to smash every kunt and get back to the prem in a few years.

Cardiff games again next year. Better to prepare now and do the business then tbh.

There are roughly 2100 professional footballers in the football league, vast majority of whom are extremely fit, have varying degrees of pace, ability etc etc.

But what creates the player who you put in that top 5% of ability. What creates the striker who can keep his nerve and convert a high ratio of his chances under the pressure of a game as compared to a player who might look lije the dog bollux in training but who needs a much higher ratio of chances in a game before scoring?

It's about attitude, desire and hard work. As the cheesy saying goes it's not about how you fall down but how you get up!

Two of my favourite people/teams in sport are Sir Alex Ferguson and The All Blacks. Being a plastic Liverpool fan and a proud Welshman i don't have any affinity with either but i love reading about their passion, desire and the intelligence they used to show in SAF's case and continue to in the All Blacks case towards creating sporting (not just success) but complete dominance.

A friend of a friend used to work at United with the youth set up (i don't suppose they called them acadamies then). I was told that Fergie would regularly get players from all age groups to take part in sprints. Not 100 or 200 metres but specifically 120.

He would stand about 20 yards from the finish line and observe. He wasn't interested in who won, what he wanted to see and what he wanted from the players who would progress with United was the individual who although maybe 10 yards behind the bloke in front would never give up and fight all the way to the finish line. Afterwards he wouldn't shout, or say anything he would digest what he saw and make a mental note to self and talk to the coaching staff in the boot room at a later date.

Think of all those annoying bloody games United would turn around from the brink of deafeat, last minute fucin goals that would annoy the hell out of me, or that stomach churning night when they beat Bayern in the last few minutes!!! That's where it all came from.

Similarly the All Blacks are the most successful sporting brand on the planet, second to none. Every defeat hurts like hell is analysed and collectively sworn never to happen again. In every changing room, be it kids teams, to the Crusaders/Blues in Super Rugby or the AB's themselves on the wall is written 'No Excuses'.

So back to football, quite simply you do not lose games like Millwall did against us (look at where they are in the table now) and you certainly do not lose fucin games like Ipswich!

If GP as you suggest isn't too bothered about winning or you yourself came from that game mighty pleased that you saw a jolly good game of footie then we really are fuced!

It's a long difficult season. Every year we all see similar scenarios, go down to an early goal then chasing the game (Bristol City), play really well and don't get that bit of luck (Leeds) and to a point i accept that.

After Ipswich i was fucin livid and if that game represents where we are mentally then we are in danger of being relegated.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 09:09 - Oct 21 with 1056 viewsFireboy2

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 08:38 - Oct 21 by ymaohyd

There are roughly 2100 professional footballers in the football league, vast majority of whom are extremely fit, have varying degrees of pace, ability etc etc.

But what creates the player who you put in that top 5% of ability. What creates the striker who can keep his nerve and convert a high ratio of his chances under the pressure of a game as compared to a player who might look lije the dog bollux in training but who needs a much higher ratio of chances in a game before scoring?

It's about attitude, desire and hard work. As the cheesy saying goes it's not about how you fall down but how you get up!

Two of my favourite people/teams in sport are Sir Alex Ferguson and The All Blacks. Being a plastic Liverpool fan and a proud Welshman i don't have any affinity with either but i love reading about their passion, desire and the intelligence they used to show in SAF's case and continue to in the All Blacks case towards creating sporting (not just success) but complete dominance.

A friend of a friend used to work at United with the youth set up (i don't suppose they called them acadamies then). I was told that Fergie would regularly get players from all age groups to take part in sprints. Not 100 or 200 metres but specifically 120.

He would stand about 20 yards from the finish line and observe. He wasn't interested in who won, what he wanted to see and what he wanted from the players who would progress with United was the individual who although maybe 10 yards behind the bloke in front would never give up and fight all the way to the finish line. Afterwards he wouldn't shout, or say anything he would digest what he saw and make a mental note to self and talk to the coaching staff in the boot room at a later date.

Think of all those annoying bloody games United would turn around from the brink of deafeat, last minute fucin goals that would annoy the hell out of me, or that stomach churning night when they beat Bayern in the last few minutes!!! That's where it all came from.

Similarly the All Blacks are the most successful sporting brand on the planet, second to none. Every defeat hurts like hell is analysed and collectively sworn never to happen again. In every changing room, be it kids teams, to the Crusaders/Blues in Super Rugby or the AB's themselves on the wall is written 'No Excuses'.

So back to football, quite simply you do not lose games like Millwall did against us (look at where they are in the table now) and you certainly do not lose fucin games like Ipswich!

If GP as you suggest isn't too bothered about winning or you yourself came from that game mighty pleased that you saw a jolly good game of footie then we really are fuced!

It's a long difficult season. Every year we all see similar scenarios, go down to an early goal then chasing the game (Bristol City), play really well and don't get that bit of luck (Leeds) and to a point i accept that.

After Ipswich i was fucin livid and if that game represents where we are mentally then we are in danger of being relegated.

Great post spot on

We are getting nothing for playing well

And i dont know if anyone has noticed but we are slowly sliding down the league by 'playing well'
The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 10:28 - Oct 21 with 983 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 09:09 - Oct 21 by Fireboy2

Great post spot on

We are getting nothing for playing well

And i dont know if anyone has noticed but we are slowly sliding down the league by 'playing well'

We are in danger of overreacting a bit too. Things would be a lot worse if Potter hadn't got the superb reaction from the players and his methods have made made a huge impact , lifting every players performance levels, some beyond recognition.

We don't fall down by playing well , we fall down by sometimes over complicating our play and not being direct enough. But a big problem for me is that we're over complicating our match day selection too.

We are creating chances but simply aren't putting them away. With Jeff and Bony back that should change but a more settled side would help and no more wing backs please. Flat back 4 with Naughton sitting in front would be more than effective.

We have the style and skill in this squad to win this league. We just need consistent selections and less tinkering.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 12:43 - Oct 21 with 896 viewsFireboy2

The Official Aston Villa Vs Swansea City Match Day Thread; 42,000 Capacity Crowd on 10:28 - Oct 21 by Brynmill_Jack

We are in danger of overreacting a bit too. Things would be a lot worse if Potter hadn't got the superb reaction from the players and his methods have made made a huge impact , lifting every players performance levels, some beyond recognition.

We don't fall down by playing well , we fall down by sometimes over complicating our play and not being direct enough. But a big problem for me is that we're over complicating our match day selection too.

We are creating chances but simply aren't putting them away. With Jeff and Bony back that should change but a more settled side would help and no more wing backs please. Flat back 4 with Naughton sitting in front would be more than effective.

We have the style and skill in this squad to win this league. We just need consistent selections and less tinkering.

Im not overreacting brynnie

You are correct though,it was mentioned yesterday that why dont we have a pop now and again

You are also correct re potter,we are so lucky to have him in one way as he obviously knows how to get the best out of average players

When we went to a flat back 4 we played alot better

Im just a bit concerned that we are slowly sliding down the league and unless we start to win a few games we will be near to the relegation places

We could do with bony back but as we all know that aint going to happen and we will have to wait until january to see if we delve into the transfer market
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024