Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rosemary Powell - the passing of a great lady 08:56 - Oct 16 with 641 viewsLohengrin

As November rolls back around I was saddened to hear of the recent passing of Rosemary Powell at the grand old age of 103. The name may mean nothing to most of you though she became something of a celebrity in Legion circles in later life.

She was there collecting at the very first Poppy Appeal in 1921 and her dedication saw her actively participate for every one of the intervening 97 years. Rosemary served throughout the Second War as a nurse and while volunteering as a medical missionary in Africa organise on behalf of native veterans.

As the old saying goes, you don’t get many of those to the pound...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Rosemary Powell - the passing of a great lady on 09:31 - Oct 16 with 607 viewsCatullus

I remember reading about her when she finally had to stop collecting for the poppy appeal. A very dedicated lady who continued to put others before herself long after she had already more than done her duty.
If only all of us were more concerned with others welfare and not so self obsessed, the world would be a better place, myself included.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Rosemary Powell - the passing of a great lady on 09:40 - Oct 16 with 596 viewsLohengrin

Rosemary Powell - the passing of a great lady on 09:31 - Oct 16 by Catullus

I remember reading about her when she finally had to stop collecting for the poppy appeal. A very dedicated lady who continued to put others before herself long after she had already more than done her duty.
If only all of us were more concerned with others welfare and not so self obsessed, the world would be a better place, myself included.

They are out there. Think of all the lads who give so freely of their own time organising junior football or rugby sections. Just about everything I loved as a child was underpinned by the goodwill of volunteers, without them we’d have no concept of community.

Rosemary Powell - the passing of a great lady on 09:54 - Oct 16 with 576 viewsCatullus

Rosemary Powell - the passing of a great lady on 09:40 - Oct 16 by Lohengrin

They are out there. Think of all the lads who give so freely of their own time organising junior football or rugby sections. Just about everything I loved as a child was underpinned by the goodwill of volunteers, without them we’d have no concept of community.

I know they are out there but as time passes the selfish minority has grown and being a volunteer is made ever harder because of the bad people in society and all the rules imposed to protect the vulnerable.

Where I live used to have a strong sense of community but it's been disrupted by the mindless, selfish and malicious few who have made people more defensive. Neighbours have installed CCTV, we have front and rear dashcams on our car, all because trust has been shattered.
I know it's a minority doing it but it's been allowed to happen because people have learned the hard way we can't rely on the police. The authorities have a lot to answer for.
This fine lady is/was part of a shrinking group of what wull soon be a bygone age. Or maybe I'm just being pessimistic?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Rosemary Powell - the passing of a great lady on 10:02 - Oct 16 with 571 viewsLohengrin

Rosemary Powell - the passing of a great lady on 09:54 - Oct 16 by Catullus

I know they are out there but as time passes the selfish minority has grown and being a volunteer is made ever harder because of the bad people in society and all the rules imposed to protect the vulnerable.

Where I live used to have a strong sense of community but it's been disrupted by the mindless, selfish and malicious few who have made people more defensive. Neighbours have installed CCTV, we have front and rear dashcams on our car, all because trust has been shattered.
I know it's a minority doing it but it's been allowed to happen because people have learned the hard way we can't rely on the police. The authorities have a lot to answer for.
This fine lady is/was part of a shrinking group of what wull soon be a bygone age. Or maybe I'm just being pessimistic?

I think you are being overly pessimistic. I posted a thread up a little while back about a local boy who had a bad accident abroad, if you recall? The medical flight home was quoted at £25,000. An appeal was launched mid-morning and by tea-time the amount was exceeded. Astonishing, really.

If all we knew came from the news we’d be forgiven for thinking the world was a very dark place indeed but we only have to look around to discover differently.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024