Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RBL Swansea City Poppy badges 20:57 - Oct 16 with 5892 viewsPacemaker

For those of you wishing to support the Royal British Legion as a Swans fan you can now buy Swansea City poppy pins.

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/swansea-city-2018-poppy-lapel-pin.html

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 21:08 - Oct 16 with 5881 viewsraynor94

Brilliant, ordered one already

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 21:15 - Oct 16 with 5858 viewsPacemaker

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 21:08 - Oct 16 by raynor94

Brilliant, ordered one already

Great I have noticed that many clubs poppies are sold out already hopefully Swans fans will sell ours out too. I can tell you from personal experience a fantastic charity.

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 21:15 - Oct 16 with 5857 viewspencoedjack

Thanks ordered
RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 22:26 - Oct 16 with 5770 viewsAndy1300

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 21:15 - Oct 16 by pencoedjack

Thanks ordered

I bought last years at the ground last year, they had a stall outside the club shop

Number 1 team in Wales

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 22:38 - Oct 16 with 5740 viewspencoedjack

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 22:26 - Oct 16 by Andy1300

I bought last years at the ground last year, they had a stall outside the club shop

Was it an official RBL stall Andy? Always weary of buying from a stall

Paid £20 as it’s a great charity.
RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 00:30 - Oct 17 with 5676 viewsBadlands

Can't be doing with that personally.
We are obsessed with celebrating war.
I will continue to wear a British Legion Poppy on Armistice Day as a mark of respect.
And fund the Legion directly throughout the year.

https://support.britishlegion.org.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/304/~/donating-by-d

For anyone who would like to support our ex-service men and women.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 06:29 - Oct 17 with 5618 viewsPacemaker

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 00:30 - Oct 17 by Badlands

I will continue to wear a British Legion Poppy on Armistice Day as a mark of respect.

https://support.britishlegion.org.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/304/~/donating-by-d

It has absolutely nothing to do with celebrating war and never has been. The poppy and poppy appeal has always been about remembering the sacrifice many made and to support those who need it after conflict.

The Swansea City badge is a way of marketing the poppy no doubt but it's still about supporting those left behind. If there is any celebration it is of life itself and the memories of those who have gone, it also highlights that it allows people like you in a position to criticise such a movement and day of remembrance without fear. It is 100 years since armistice day this November and the Poppy appeal is still as relevant as it was in 1918.

Glad to see you go still buy a poppy though, thank you.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2018 6:32]

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 08:02 - Oct 17 with 5556 viewsPhil_S

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 22:38 - Oct 16 by pencoedjack

Yes it would have been - the club traditionally have a RBL stall outside the Liberty around Remembrance Sunday
Login to get fewer ads

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 10:53 - Oct 17 with 5463 viewsLeonWasGod

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 00:30 - Oct 17 by Badlands

No sure why that gets a down arrow. I'd have thought donating directly to the British Legion throughout the year is a positive.

I don't understand the need to strap football colours to it either, but hey each to their own.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2018 10:54]
RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 13:57 - Oct 17 with 5377 viewsBadlands

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 10:53 - Oct 17 by LeonWasGod

No sure why that gets a down arrow. I'd have thought donating directly to the British Legion throughout the year is a positive.

I don't understand the need to strap football colours to it either, but hey each to their own.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2018 10:54]

Cheers.
I think my attitude comes from my old man who served in the airforce for 36 - 45 he never went near the parades etc and, believed the people who did were the ones who had contributed the least. He always gave to the RBL and occasionally helped old service mates.
He always considered (almost all) his time in RAF, fighting fascism, as the best of his life. (Thanks !!!)
On the other hand from a baby I'd be taken door-to-door poppy selling by my mother and later making up the poppies for sale (adding leaves, pins, foil to the basic stem). I'd also be the one or one of the ones in every works, company or organisation arranging the sale of poppies.
Anyone who believes the parades etc are anything but celebratory needs to listen to what is being said - which will be largely about thanking god for winning wars and the media will use it to engender hate. If you like that sort of thing go ahead and enjoy it but it's not for me.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 14:04 - Oct 17 with 5370 viewsAndy1300

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 22:38 - Oct 16 by pencoedjack

Yes from the official stall

Number 1 team in Wales

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 16:21 - Oct 17 with 5315 viewsCatullus

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 13:57 - Oct 17 by Badlands

Cheers.
I think my attitude comes from my old man who served in the airforce for 36 - 45 he never went near the parades etc and, believed the people who did were the ones who had contributed the least. He always gave to the RBL and occasionally helped old service mates.
He always considered (almost all) his time in RAF, fighting fascism, as the best of his life. (Thanks !!!)
On the other hand from a baby I'd be taken door-to-door poppy selling by my mother and later making up the poppies for sale (adding leaves, pins, foil to the basic stem). I'd also be the one or one of the ones in every works, company or organisation arranging the sale of poppies.
Anyone who believes the parades etc are anything but celebratory needs to listen to what is being said - which will be largely about thanking god for winning wars and the media will use it to engender hate. If you like that sort of thing go ahead and enjoy it but it's not for me.

Remembering what happened and keeping those memories alive, teaching kids what war is really like is the best way to educate and hopefully prevent future wars.

An unfortunate effect of war is to create national pride, cameraderie and brother/sisterhood, I say unfortunate because it seems celebratory but trust me, no one I've met who survived a war wanted to go back and do it again. I've seen men and women reduced to tears by the memories, seen the people on tv whose lives were destroyed by war. It's not a celebration, it's a commemoration.

I'll get my poppy from the RBL sellers, I won't have one with a football crest on it, it just seems wrong to me.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 22:24 - Oct 18 with 5122 viewsDewi1jack

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 13:57 - Oct 17 by Badlands

Cheers.

Youre right.
The parades are a couple of days.Loads of people showing up at the televised ones I'm sure just to say 'look at me. I support our war dead and maimed '
Fair play to you.

To those saying about the football poppy.
Mine is worn on my work fleece and another on my normal fleece every week of the year.
Many people around the UK comment on it and all are complimentary.
Certainly makes the working day easier when people are friendly. Even around the hooped areas of Glasgow!
Quite a lot are football fans and are happy to talk the game

Remembrance is for every day not just Armistice to knick and change a saying.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 07:58 - Oct 19 with 5061 viewsKilkennyjack

Is it true that ‘Lest We Forget’ has been deliberately ignored recently...?
I read it somewhere, and on reflection it rings a bit true.
Which is a shame.

I thought it summed up the whole thing, and as a kid it made you think what the previous generation gave as normal people.

Beware of the Risen People

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 12:47 - Oct 19 with 5001 viewsLohengrin

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 16:21 - Oct 17 by Catullus

Remembering what happened and keeping those memories alive, teaching kids what war is really like is the best way to educate and hopefully prevent future wars.

An unfortunate effect of war is to create national pride, cameraderie and brother/sisterhood, I say unfortunate because it seems celebratory but trust me, no one I've met who survived a war wanted to go back and do it again. I've seen men and women reduced to tears by the memories, seen the people on tv whose lives were destroyed by war. It's not a celebration, it's a commemoration.

I'll get my poppy from the RBL sellers, I won't have one with a football crest on it, it just seems wrong to me.

Pride, Camaraderie. Brotherhood.

I’ve read a lot of accounts like yours and I dare say I’ll read a lot more in the run-up to the 11th. An apologia, just about. I don’t say that to be in any way insulting to you but I find those sorts of sentiments impossible to square with my memories of the old boys of the Burma Star Association.

The truth, often too unpalatable for liberals to confront, is that many men are at home in war, Britons especially it seems to me. When I wear the poppy it is for several reasons - to remember those who never came back, to throw a protective arm around those who served and now need our help but also with a smile in fond remembrance of those boys of the Burma Star, now passed, and countless others like them who didn’t just grab life by the horns but straddled it and rode it into the ground.

“Don’t rush off, boy. Have another pint. Your Gran is going to give him a bollocking anyway, one more won’t matter.”

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 13:51 - Oct 27 with 4785 viewsTenbySwan

Just bought one of these today.
They have a box full of a couple of hundred or so on the till in the stadium club shop.

Perhaps they should put a poster in the window to publicise
RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 16:19 - Oct 27 with 4730 viewsnicky

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 12:47 - Oct 19 by Lohengrin

Pride, Camaraderie. Brotherhood.

I’ve read a lot of accounts like yours and I dare say I’ll read a lot more in the run-up to the 11th. An apologia, just about. I don’t say that to be in any way insulting to you but I find those sorts of sentiments impossible to square with my memories of the old boys of the Burma Star Association.

The truth, often too unpalatable for liberals to confront, is that many men are at home in war, Britons especially it seems to me. When I wear the poppy it is for several reasons - to remember those who never came back, to throw a protective arm around those who served and now need our help but also with a smile in fond remembrance of those boys of the Burma Star, now passed, and countless others like them who didn’t just grab life by the horns but straddled it and rode it into the ground.

“Don’t rush off, boy. Have another pint. Your Gran is going to give him a bollocking anyway, one more won’t matter.”

Hi Lohengrin

My late dad served with the SW Borderers in Burma during WW2 and had a burma star.

Just wondering what your link to the BS is? Family?

My dad didn't go a great deal on war memories. I think he spent most of his life trying to forget what happened so never went to re-unions, etc. Still it was so moving at his funeral to see a large number of Burma veterans turn out. There can't be too many of them keft now sadly.
RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 16:46 - Oct 27 with 4719 viewsLohengrin

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 16:19 - Oct 27 by nicky

Hi Lohengrin

My late dad served with the SW Borderers in Burma during WW2 and had a burma star.

My dad didn't go a great deal on war memories. I think he spent most of his life trying to forget what happened so never went to re-unions, etc. Still it was so moving at his funeral to see a large number of Burma veterans turn out. There can't be too many of them keft now sadly.

Yes mate, family.

That whole generation has almost passed, all the old boys I knew have all gone now.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 18:19 - Oct 27 with 4656 viewsnicky

too true mate

we must never forget
RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 18:57 - Oct 27 with 4630 views1983

In Thailand in the area of the death railway (bridge over the river Kwai) all the local children are taken to the British war cemetery to learn about and respect the soldiers,the whole place is immaculate and a totally surreal thought provoking place, the only time I have ever wept for people I never knew. Some graves are just headed for example... Unknown British soldier aged 22 yrs old.....WTF??
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 18:58]

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 19:57 - Oct 27 with 4597 viewsraynor94

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 07:58 - Oct 19 by Kilkennyjack

Is it true that ‘Lest We Forget’ has been deliberately ignored recently...?
I read it somewhere, and on reflection it rings a bit true.
Which is a shame.

I thought it summed up the whole thing, and as a kid it made you think what the previous generation gave as normal people.

As you have previously stated you are a Celtic supporter, so I'm mightily impressed by your post. Well done

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 20:15 - Oct 27 with 4585 viewsProfessor

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 16:19 - Oct 27 by nicky

Hi Lohengrin

We had a guy with us called Frank Jordan
Who sadly passsed away in his 90s a few years back. Frank was a vet and highly respected poultry scientist who I was lucky enough to do some work with. He was from Bridgend and said little about his time in Burma where he was in the RAVC. After he died I found out he was the vet with the Chindits who not only kept the mules healthy he operated on each one to de-voice them so they were quite when operating behind or near Japanese lines. Never fired a gun but another hero in that campaign
RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 20:42 - Oct 27 with 4553 viewsnicky

RBL Swansea City Poppy badges on 20:15 - Oct 27 by Professor

We had a guy with us called Frank Jordan
Who sadly passsed away in his 90s a few years back. Frank was a vet and highly respected poultry scientist who I was lucky enough to do some work with. He was from Bridgend and said little about his time in Burma where he was in the RAVC. After he died I found out he was the vet with the Chindits who not only kept the mules healthy he operated on each one to de-voice them so they were quite when operating behind or near Japanese lines. Never fired a gun but another hero in that campaign

this is my dad

at 22 he was sent half way round the world to fight, not knowing if he would ever come back. He served in 6th Bttn South Wales Borderers. I've read some stuff anout their exploits on line. It must have been terrifying.

at the same age I used to moan about getting out of bed to go work for the council.

if you ever get the chance, visit the SWB museum in Brecon. They've got some fantastic stuff in there from conflicts all over the world and down the ages.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024