Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
French Guyana Border - NI Border 13:43 - Oct 17 with 5547 viewswestwalesed

French Guyana is part of France, uses the Euro, and is part of the territory of the European Union.

It's border is over 1200km long and is shared with Brazil and Suriname. Is it a hard border all the way? I have no idea.

Just throwing this out there.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 13:59 - Oct 17 with 2168 viewslondonlisa2001

Yep. There is a hard border. Manned by French customs. And Brazilians need a visa to enter French Guiana.

I don’t know what the ‘all the way’ bit means. Are you thinking that a fence is required?

The Northern Ireland question has no solution that works without the UK remaining in a single market with the EU after Brexit.

If ROI has to have no customs border with NI (due to the Good Friday Agreement) and NI has to have no customs border with GB (due to the DUP and the fact that it is, you know, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland), then the ROI can’t have a customs border with GB. As ROI is, actually, the EU, that means no customs border between the EU and GB.

Full stop.

The reality is that it didn’t occur to anyone at the time, as no British politician ever gives much thought to Northern Ireland, plus no politician ever thought that Brexit would happen.
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:12 - Oct 17 with 2138 viewstrampie

If Ireland was Ireland as God created it and as it would have been without outsider involvement, this problem would not exist, Ireland would be in the EU and Britain would not, no problem, its Britain has caused this problem for itself by its involvement in the Emerald Isle.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:13 - Oct 17 with 2138 viewsBatterseajack

One quick look at French Guyana on google maps would reveal that the vast majority of this country's border with its neighbor is either thick rain Forrest or one of two rivers. There doesn't even appear to be even a single road between the two. Presumably the level of trade between these two nations in minuscule in comparison to UK/Ireland. Customs checks, if there are any would be done at or near the ferry terminals.

**Edit**

There is one bridge connecting it to Brazil. The rest of the border is along a river.

The french side the border has Border police, Customs and the directorate for foot, agriculture and forestry.

Brazilian side is not staffed, travellers arriving into brazil need to head to the local police station and /or federal revenue service.

Border is shut on Sundays.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2018 14:28]
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:18 - Oct 17 with 2126 viewsCatullus

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 13:59 - Oct 17 by londonlisa2001

Yep. There is a hard border. Manned by French customs. And Brazilians need a visa to enter French Guiana.

I don’t know what the ‘all the way’ bit means. Are you thinking that a fence is required?

The Northern Ireland question has no solution that works without the UK remaining in a single market with the EU after Brexit.

If ROI has to have no customs border with NI (due to the Good Friday Agreement) and NI has to have no customs border with GB (due to the DUP and the fact that it is, you know, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland), then the ROI can’t have a customs border with GB. As ROI is, actually, the EU, that means no customs border between the EU and GB.

Full stop.

The reality is that it didn’t occur to anyone at the time, as no British politician ever gives much thought to Northern Ireland, plus no politician ever thought that Brexit would happen.

The person who sorted out the Good Friday agreement is an arch europhile, a proven liar and actively campaigns to stop Brexit, if there is a clause in the GFA stipulating no hard border then Blair has played an EU blinder, deliberately or not.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:21 - Oct 17 with 2123 viewswestwalesed

Full stop.

Thanks, genuinely had no idea what the arrangement was there. By "all the way" I suppose I was envisioning ever potential border crossing point, I suppose every border has porous points where some level of illegal smuggling/tariff free action goes on.

I'm racking my brains to thin of out the box solutions:
1) What if the Republic of Ireland joined the Internal UK Customs market - that would hypothetically work wouldn't it?
2) What if both sides agreed to not regularly check anything crossing the NI border but committed to setting up ad hoc occasional border check points? Say 90 days out of each calendar year?
3) Can the Good Friday agreement be modified in any way, it is 20 years old now?
4) Separate referendum in Northern Ireland on Northern Irish independence (not succeeding to the Republic or remaining in the UK deliberately)?

I'm not being facetious, I genuinely find it interesting.

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:22 - Oct 17 with 2121 viewsPawelAbbott

HOW much of the nations GDP comes from import duties? We aren’t receiving any from the EU currently anyway.
What would be the result of scrapping all import duties thus removing the need to have a customs border?
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:24 - Oct 17 with 2117 viewsBatterseajack

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:18 - Oct 17 by Catullus

The person who sorted out the Good Friday agreement is an arch europhile, a proven liar and actively campaigns to stop Brexit, if there is a clause in the GFA stipulating no hard border then Blair has played an EU blinder, deliberately or not.

Leave politicians who convinced you to vote leave either knew all about the GFA and what what it would mean to leave and lied to you by not ever addressing it until now.....or they're incompetent and don't know anything.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2018 14:24]
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:27 - Oct 17 with 2105 viewsBatterseajack

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:22 - Oct 17 by PawelAbbott

HOW much of the nations GDP comes from import duties? We aren’t receiving any from the EU currently anyway.
What would be the result of scrapping all import duties thus removing the need to have a customs border?

If we scrap import duties for the EU, but without a formal trading agreement, under WTO, we must scrap import duties for everyone else.

Whilst that stops the immediate cliff edge, it will ruin our own exporters and we'd have no leverage left to negotiate future trade deals.
Login to get fewer ads

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:36 - Oct 17 with 2089 viewslondonlisa2001

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:18 - Oct 17 by Catullus

When the Good Friday agreement was implemented, the thought of leaving the EU would simply have not occurred.

Blair was and is many things, some good, some bad, some appalling, but the Good Friday Agreement was an outstanding achievement by everyone involved with it, on both sides. I have two friends, one a very good friend, whose parents were bombed by the IRA. Neither resulted in their death thank God but trivialising the peace agreement simply because it doesn’t suit the personal agendas of people like Johnson, Rees Mogg and Nigel Farage is utterly ridiculous.
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:39 - Oct 17 with 2083 viewslondonlisa2001

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:21 - Oct 17 by westwalesed

Thanks, genuinely had no idea what the arrangement was there. By "all the way" I suppose I was envisioning ever potential border crossing point, I suppose every border has porous points where some level of illegal smuggling/tariff free action goes on.

1) What if the Republic of Ireland joined the Internal UK Customs market - that would hypothetically work wouldn't it?
2) What if both sides agreed to not regularly check anything crossing the NI border but committed to setting up ad hoc occasional border check points? Say 90 days out of each calendar year?
3) Can the Good Friday agreement be modified in any way, it is 20 years old now?
4) Separate referendum in Northern Ireland on Northern Irish independence (not succeeding to the Republic or remaining in the UK deliberately)?

A hard border is a legal status not a wall.

The Republic understandably have no desire to break with the EU to join us instead.

It’s our mess, not theirs.

The ‘not checking’ bit makes no sense - as I said, it’s a legal issue, there’s either a border or there isn’t.
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:41 - Oct 17 with 2080 viewstrampie

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:21 - Oct 17 by westwalesed

On point [1] it would work in theory but surely the Republic would not give up its sovereignty to the UK.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:42 - Oct 17 with 2079 viewslondonlisa2001

The border applies to both sides. If we scrap all borders (an interesting advance on the ‘taking control of our borders argument’) the ‘other side ‘ to that border would also need no border...
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 15:57 - Oct 17 with 1989 viewsAce_Jack

taking back control of our borders indeed
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 16:09 - Oct 17 with 1974 viewswestwalesed

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:42 - Oct 17 by londonlisa2001

The border applies to both sides. If we scrap all borders (an interesting advance on the ‘taking control of our borders argument’) the ‘other side ‘ to that border would also need no border...

Or saying, ok, no border in NI. We will accept that there will be no tariffs collected on our (the UK) side in the interests of the Good Friday Agreement. If the EU is so desperate to put a hard border up, let them, on the Irish side of the border. We accept that we don't have control of that border, and retain control of our borders around mainland GB.

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 16:19 - Oct 17 with 1967 viewstrampie

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 16:09 - Oct 17 by westwalesed

Or saying, ok, no border in NI. We will accept that there will be no tariffs collected on our (the UK) side in the interests of the Good Friday Agreement. If the EU is so desperate to put a hard border up, let them, on the Irish side of the border. We accept that we don't have control of that border, and retain control of our borders around mainland GB.

You will have smuggling then between the EU and the UK on the island of Ireland and the Ulster Unionists kicking off that N.I is being treated differently to the rest of the UK.

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 16:39 - Oct 17 with 1931 viewsexhmrc1

I cannot see a solution other than another referendum for the people to decide. There is no way May will get a vote to remain past her brexiteer mps and the remainers wont allow a vote to leave get through parliament so that is the only solution.
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 17:47 - Oct 17 with 1884 viewsHighjack

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 16:19 - Oct 17 by trampie

You will have smuggling then between the EU and the UK on the island of Ireland and the Ulster Unionists kicking off that N.I is being treated differently to the rest of the UK.

Smuggling is rampant anyway. You only have to look at the innumerable quantities of drugs hitting our streets from places like Colombia and Afghanistan.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 18:19 - Oct 17 with 1854 viewsHighjack

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 16:39 - Oct 17 by exhmrc1

I cannot see a solution other than another referendum for the people to decide. There is no way May will get a vote to remain past her brexiteer mps and the remainers wont allow a vote to leave get through parliament so that is the only solution.

What happens if leave wins again?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 18:27 - Oct 17 with 1845 viewstrampie

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 17:47 - Oct 17 by Highjack

Smuggling is rampant anyway. You only have to look at the innumerable quantities of drugs hitting our streets from places like Colombia and Afghanistan.

That is no excuse to allow even more smuggling is it.

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 18:32 - Oct 17 with 1834 viewspeenemunde

Full stop.

What a load of shite.
You still can’t accept we are leaving can you.
Idiot.
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 18:36 - Oct 17 with 1824 viewsexhmrc1

it would have to be a binding referendum. There would need to be a 2 part question. Do you agree we leave the EU on these terms and question 2 would be if there above is rejected do you wish to leave the UK without an agreement or remain in the UK
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 18:40 - Oct 17 with 1803 viewsWarwickHunt

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 18:36 - Oct 17 by exhmrc1

it would have to be a binding referendum. There would need to be a 2 part question. Do you agree we leave the EU on these terms and question 2 would be if there above is rejected do you wish to leave the UK without an agreement or remain in the UK

Aye - that will work...
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 18:43 - Oct 17 with 1802 viewsmagicdaps10

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:12 - Oct 17 by trampie

If Ireland was Ireland as God created it and as it would have been without outsider involvement, this problem would not exist, Ireland would be in the EU and Britain would not, no problem, its Britain has caused this problem for itself by its involvement in the Emerald Isle.

If everything was as god created then we wouldnt have a EU let alone heard of brexit.

Its a pointless discussion.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 18:47 - Oct 17 with 1787 viewsWarwickHunt

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 18:43 - Oct 17 by magicdaps10

If everything was as god created then we wouldnt have a EU let alone heard of brexit.

Its a pointless discussion.

It’s trampie, what did you expect?
French Guyana Border - NI Border on 18:55 - Oct 17 with 1773 viewsJango

French Guyana Border - NI Border on 14:36 - Oct 17 by londonlisa2001

When the Good Friday agreement was implemented, the thought of leaving the EU would simply have not occurred.

Blair was and is many things, some good, some bad, some appalling, but the Good Friday Agreement was an outstanding achievement by everyone involved with it, on both sides. I have two friends, one a very good friend, whose parents were bombed by the IRA. Neither resulted in their death thank God but trivialising the peace agreement simply because it doesn’t suit the personal agendas of people like Johnson, Rees Mogg and Nigel Farage is utterly ridiculous.

You’ve named 3 of the 17.4 million, can you name the rest?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024