Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans 37 Years Ago Today 18:38 - Oct 17 with 2732 viewstheloneranger

17th October 1981

Swans beat Stoke 2-1 to go top of the 1st Division.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:29 - Oct 18 with 476 viewsGaryjack

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:13 - Oct 18 by Flashberryjack

That's the game, I remember it like it was yesterday

Not as well as me. Promotion was between us and Swindon, who needed 3 points from their last two games to secure promotion (2 points for a win then). The night we beat Chesterfield they lost 2-1 at Sheff Weds, so we were promoted. Swindon went on to lose their last game 0-1 at home to Blackpool a few days later.
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:32 - Oct 18 with 468 viewsmonmouth

First time round by far the best for me. Many local players, local fans and no Sky shit. The days when Speedy, Curt and Robbie bought us drinks in the Bay View after promotion.

I was amazed and thrilled to see the second time too. It still astounds me that some people didn't seem to enjoy any of the second time as they were too busy banging on about 'next level', even after we'd won a cup. That period was truly amazing when we were still all bound together, as a genuine collective, playing beautiful football. You can keep the 'sellout' years though, and not because they sold, but because they destroyed that collective in the process.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:42 - Oct 18 with 455 viewsAnotherJohn

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:06 - Oct 18 by Garyjack

Yes, it was the night we got promoted from the third division. Maybe Anotherjohn got it wrong and it was in front of the old East Bank?

Yes, I really meant the east end and lazily associated it with the new stand that wasn't there then. I was watching from the North bank.
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:52 - Oct 18 with 447 viewsGaryjack

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:42 - Oct 18 by AnotherJohn

Yes, I really meant the east end and lazily associated it with the new stand that wasn't there then. I was watching from the North bank.

I see. So you got it wrong then. Look, you aren't casually talking to your mates down the pub on here mind. This is the internet, where every word you say will be scrutinised down to the finest detail. You cannot make simple mistakes or get anything wrong.
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 20:12 - Oct 18 with 432 viewsAnotherJohn

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:52 - Oct 18 by Garyjack

I see. So you got it wrong then. Look, you aren't casually talking to your mates down the pub on here mind. This is the internet, where every word you say will be scrutinised down to the finest detail. You cannot make simple mistakes or get anything wrong.

Indeed I know that Planet Swans has its site police, and apologise for my senior moment. What some of us remember more than the terrace behind the goal is the drama of a semi-fit ex-Liverpool striker coming on as a 2nd half substitute and scoring a fantastic header. I even found a picture for you (link in earlier post).
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 21:10 - Oct 18 with 415 viewsGaryjack

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 20:12 - Oct 18 by AnotherJohn

Indeed I know that Planet Swans has its site police, and apologise for my senior moment. What some of us remember more than the terrace behind the goal is the drama of a semi-fit ex-Liverpool striker coming on as a 2nd half substitute and scoring a fantastic header. I even found a picture for you (link in earlier post).

It's on youtube somewhere, i tried to find it but failed. I'm not the site police though, just joshing ya. I remember it well, much better than the Ipswich game last week in fact. So let's not talk about senior moments!
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 21:45 - Oct 18 with 389 viewsTNT

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:32 - Oct 18 by monmouth

First time round by far the best for me. Many local players, local fans and no Sky shit. The days when Speedy, Curt and Robbie bought us drinks in the Bay View after promotion.

I was amazed and thrilled to see the second time too. It still astounds me that some people didn't seem to enjoy any of the second time as they were too busy banging on about 'next level', even after we'd won a cup. That period was truly amazing when we were still all bound together, as a genuine collective, playing beautiful football. You can keep the 'sellout' years though, and not because they sold, but because they destroyed that collective in the process.

Both times we had players with hunger, desire, talent and togetherness which saw us rise from the basement to the top. Both times, once that group came to its natural conclusion, there were players who hadn't done the hard miles with the fans, who didn't know what it really meant to us, and both times that led to relegation imho.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024