Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans 37 Years Ago Today 18:38 - Oct 17 with 2736 viewstheloneranger

17th October 1981

Swans beat Stoke 2-1 to go top of the 1st Division.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 18:51 - Oct 17 with 2234 viewsBadlands

Brilliant season but another where we completely lost form over the final half dozen games.
I was based in the Midlands at that time and, although home games were a trek, it was great to get to away matches.
(A reminder too that as good as we were financial mismanagement (naivety) and not living within our means saw us back in the fourth division in the blink of an eye.)

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:46 - Oct 17 with 2195 viewsFlashberryjack

I was there

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:53 - Oct 17 with 2180 viewsLeonWasGod

Oldjack remembers it well - it was the day he retired
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 20:19 - Oct 17 with 2146 viewsjacktheripper

Was there with my brother and a mate. Swans players were on the pitch prior to kick off and Charlo came over for a chat as he knew us all from Cwmbwrla. My brother fell asleep during the game due to him polishing off a bottle of vodka and missed all the goals. Happy days
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 21:08 - Oct 17 with 2108 viewsCatullus

I was there, in the Wingstand with my dad, I was 13, it was pre North Bank days. I still have the programme.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 21:19 - Oct 17 with 2104 viewsAguycalledJack

For those of you lucky enough to see both, how did our rise through the leagues to the old first division and our time there, compare to our rise and promotion to and our time in the premiere league, excitement and experience wise? If you had to choose which was better?
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 21:58 - Oct 17 with 2055 viewsBadlands

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 21:19 - Oct 17 by AguycalledJack

For those of you lucky enough to see both, how did our rise through the leagues to the old first division and our time there, compare to our rise and promotion to and our time in the premiere league, excitement and experience wise? If you had to choose which was better?

For me, the excitement first time round was all about outdoing all expectations - out of the 4th was great and we'd done that before. We'd even got in to the Second Division but realistically almost all supporters believed that was where we belonged. But getting to the First Division had never happened before, and t took some getting used to
Initially Toshack came in and all of a sudden we were different, more professional, talked about and were supporters' second team because of our association with Liverpool.
On the way up to Preston, seeing First Division teams' supporters waving 'Good luck Swansea' banners as we passed on the motorway was quite humbling.
And, by the time we got to the First Division we had the likes of James, James, Jimmy, Curtis, Ante, Kennedy, Charles, Saunders, Mahoney, Wyngham,Irwin et al, mostly in their prime, not just beating established teams but tearing them apart - some at the time the best in Europe - that was so, so special. And it was achieved with more than a smattering of local (and local- ish) players and in the Vetch.
Second time round was more like an extended escape mission from relegation battles and boom and bust. Flynn was the founder of a new confidence, Jackett did really well (and deserves more credit) but then Roberto came in and ripped up the lower divisions' rule book. From then on we were unique is a way we had not been in the past.
We were exciting, in Trundle we had a TV personality standard showman but still kept our share of 'characters' (Willy getting arrested and Gorka's tackle on Speed were epic examples.) and when we were on form we tore teams apart from first to last minute.
We improved every season.
With no money for goal scorers, Sousa taught us how to defend and then Rogers and Laudrup improved the standard with similar style - entertaining, slick winning.
Unfortunately we then entered the time of the Monk and although our place improved our standards went through the floor and the dream was over.
Just as I'd been taken aback by the Swansea banners waved by other teams on the way to Preston seeing the Premier League advertised on the billboards of Madrid with Michu, Britton, Monk, Ash and Angel just stopped me in my tracks.
Different local pride v European acceptance!

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 21:59 - Oct 17 with 2054 viewsTNT

The rise both times were great, and equally great being in the top flight initially, except for longer the second time. Brilliant memories both times.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Login to get fewer ads

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 22:08 - Oct 17 with 2041 viewscmajack

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 21:08 - Oct 17 by Catullus

I was there, in the Wingstand with my dad, I was 13, it was pre North Bank days. I still have the programme.

Sure the game was at the Victoria ground stoke. If it wasn't my apologies.
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 22:34 - Oct 17 with 2013 viewsSwanseajill

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:46 - Oct 17 by Flashberryjack

I was there

Me too😀
My memory is rubbish these days, Gary Stanley scored if I recall.
What I do remember is leaving the ground on someone's shoulders with a load of very happy people.
I did every away game that season, it was magic.
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 22:42 - Oct 17 with 2002 viewsTNT

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 22:08 - Oct 17 by cmajack

Sure the game was at the Victoria ground stoke. If it wasn't my apologies.

It was.

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 22:49 - Oct 17 with 1992 viewsTNT

Bron will be along shortly. So, just a reminder that on this day when we went top of the top flight, cardiff were playing in front of 3,800 (massive club see) and were relegated to the third tier at the end of the season.

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 23:57 - Oct 17 with 1959 viewstheloneranger

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 22:34 - Oct 17 by Swanseajill

Me too😀
My memory is rubbish these days, Gary Stanley scored if I recall.
What I do remember is leaving the ground on someone's shoulders with a load of very happy people.
I did every away game that season, it was magic.

👍👍 Gary Stanley and Bob Latchford

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 12:24 - Oct 18 with 1834 viewsCaptain_Sham

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 21:08 - Oct 17 by Catullus

It was away. Keep taking the mushrooms.

[Post edited 18 Oct 2018 12:25]

Its just a ride.

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 15:33 - Oct 18 with 1785 viewsFlashberryjack

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 23:57 - Oct 17 by theloneranger

👍👍 Gary Stanley and Bob Latchford

1 goal down at half time...I think.

Hello

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 16:39 - Oct 18 with 1762 viewsraynor94

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 15:33 - Oct 18 by Flashberryjack

1 goal down at half time...I think.

Quite correct

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 16:51 - Oct 18 with 1757 viewsAnotherJohn

The memory fades after all this time, but what I recall about getting to the old first division was Tosh's role as a player. He wasn't fully fit and for a time came on only as a late sub, often making the crucial difference. I remember one very late goal from a towering header in front of the new stand - but haven't a clue now which team we beat that night. Fairy tale memories!
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 17:14 - Oct 18 with 1746 viewsAguycalledJack

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 16:51 - Oct 18 by AnotherJohn

The memory fades after all this time, but what I recall about getting to the old first division was Tosh's role as a player. He wasn't fully fit and for a time came on only as a late sub, often making the crucial difference. I remember one very late goal from a towering header in front of the new stand - but haven't a clue now which team we beat that night. Fairy tale memories!

That may have been Watford?
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 18:16 - Oct 18 with 1728 viewsOldjack

and people still moaned

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 18:20 - Oct 18 with 1724 viewsAnotherJohn

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 17:14 - Oct 18 by AguycalledJack

That may have been Watford?

I said that the memory fades. On checking it seems I was thinking of the 1978-79 promotion season when we got from the 3rd to 2nd division, and Tosh scored a crucial goal in the final game of the season against Chesterfield at the Vetch. There were 25,000 there on that night of May 12th 1979.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/gallery/swansea-citys-greatest-results-60

(scroll down to the Chesterfield game. I think the picture is the goal).
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 18:22 - Oct 18 with 1722 viewsFlashberryjack

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 16:51 - Oct 18 by AnotherJohn

I was on the North bank for that game, I think it was Chesterfield.

Hello

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 18:35 - Oct 18 with 1706 viewsGaryjack

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 18:22 - Oct 18 by Flashberryjack

I was on the North bank for that game, I think it was Chesterfield.

The new stand wasn't there then Flash.
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 18:46 - Oct 18 with 1691 viewsFlashberryjack

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 18:35 - Oct 18 by Garyjack

The new stand wasn't there then Flash.

I know that, the game I'm thinking of was well before the new stand was built, an evening game against Cheterfield (3rd division I think) Tosh came on and scored the winner with a majestic header.

I may have it completely wrong, it was a long time ago mind.

Hello

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:06 - Oct 18 with 1668 viewsGaryjack

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 18:46 - Oct 18 by Flashberryjack

I know that, the game I'm thinking of was well before the new stand was built, an evening game against Cheterfield (3rd division I think) Tosh came on and scored the winner with a majestic header.

I may have it completely wrong, it was a long time ago mind.

Yes, it was the night we got promoted from the third division. Maybe Anotherjohn got it wrong and it was in front of the old East Bank?
Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:13 - Oct 18 with 1654 viewsFlashberryjack

Swans 37 Years Ago Today on 19:06 - Oct 18 by Garyjack

Yes, it was the night we got promoted from the third division. Maybe Anotherjohn got it wrong and it was in front of the old East Bank?

That's the game, I remember it like it was yesterday

Hello

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024