Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More cuts? 21:23 - Oct 17 with 1812 viewsCatullus

Can schools in Swansea stand any more cuts? My sons school has no new buildings, no extra rooms but the number of children has nearly f=doubled in 6 years. If there are cuts his education will definitely suffer, how can the WAG justify it?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/education/cuts-schools-huge-wales-faces-15293

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

More cuts? on 21:43 - Oct 17 with 1770 viewsmajorraglan

I was a Parent governor at one of our children’s school for a number of years and spent some time on the finance committee. There were about 250 kids in the school and balancing the books was a difficult task as costs were rising and the budget was more or less frozen. In addition, some children were being “statemented” by education department staff and identified as being in need of additional learning support however no additional finance was forthcoming to deliver that additional support which had to be taken from the general budget. The number of applications being made was increasing as parents became more aware of learning difficulties and are naturally seeking the best for their kids, I was also told that some parents were seeking to have their children “statemented” so they could access additional state benefits, but I didn5 have any personal experience of that. What I can say is that the head teacher and most of the staff worked really hard to deliver the best education they could for the kids.
More cuts? on 22:07 - Oct 17 with 1739 viewsJack_Meoff

How can the WAG justify it? Unless I'm missing something they're somewhat constrained by Westminster funding and their 'austerity' agenda? Not defending them per se, wondering if I'm missing something?

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

More cuts? on 22:22 - Oct 17 with 1709 viewsbuilthjack

More cuts? on 22:07 - Oct 17 by Jack_Meoff

How can the WAG justify it? Unless I'm missing something they're somewhat constrained by Westminster funding and their 'austerity' agenda? Not defending them per se, wondering if I'm missing something?

The Torys always do cuts. It's happened time after time. Then they blame others. Always have.
Get rid.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

More cuts? on 22:31 - Oct 17 with 1697 viewsJack_Meoff

More cuts? on 22:22 - Oct 17 by builthjack

The Torys always do cuts. It's happened time after time. Then they blame others. Always have.
Get rid.

Amen. The Tories are criminals; traitors who don't, and have never ever given a f*ck about Britain. Ever. Apart from how much tax money they can launder from the populace. C*nts.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

More cuts? on 00:31 - Oct 18 with 1629 viewsKilkennyjack

More cuts? on 22:31 - Oct 17 by Jack_Meoff

Amen. The Tories are criminals; traitors who don't, and have never ever given a f*ck about Britain. Ever. Apart from how much tax money they can launder from the populace. C*nts.

I could not agree more.

Viva la revolution, brawd. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Beware of the Risen People

More cuts? on 01:24 - Oct 18 with 1615 viewsGoldminer

Now I'm no Tory but there are two levels of Labour control between the Torys and the schools. Did you know that per head Swansea council are in the bottom three in Wales for spending on primary school children?
More cuts? on 07:10 - Oct 18 with 1549 viewsKilkennyjack

More cuts? on 01:24 - Oct 18 by Goldminer

Now I'm no Tory but there are two levels of Labour control between the Torys and the schools. Did you know that per head Swansea council are in the bottom three in Wales for spending on primary school children?

Did you know the cost of replacing Trident is £167 billion.

Politics is about choices.

Toriesdo not give a shite about kids in Swansea.

More cuts? on 09:52 - Oct 18 with 1498 viewsProfessor

More cuts? on 07:10 - Oct 18 by Kilkennyjack

Did you know the cost of replacing Trident is £167 billion.

Politics is about choices.

Toriesdo not give a shite about kids in Swansea.

"That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin."

Aneurin Bevan
Login to get fewer ads

More cuts? on 09:56 - Oct 18 with 1493 viewsLeonWasGod

More cuts? on 22:07 - Oct 17 by Jack_Meoff

It looks like the WG are doing what they can to buffer Wales against Westminster cuts - https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/jul/12/english-schools-funding-has-fa
More cuts? on 10:33 - Oct 18 with 1474 viewsCatullus

If you read the article the person who highlighted this doesn't blame Westminster, he blames the WAG.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

More cuts? on 10:45 - Oct 18 with 1464 viewsCatullus

More cuts? on 21:43 - Oct 17 by majorraglan

I was a Parent governor at one of our children’s school for a number of years and spent some time on the finance committee. There were about 250 kids in the school and balancing the books was a difficult task as costs were rising and the budget was more or less frozen. In addition, some children were being “statemented” by education department staff and identified as being in need of additional learning support however no additional finance was forthcoming to deliver that additional support which had to be taken from the general budget. The number of applications being made was increasing as parents became more aware of learning difficulties and are naturally seeking the best for their kids, I was also told that some parents were seeking to have their children “statemented” so they could access additional state benefits, but I didn5 have any personal experience of that. What I can say is that the head teacher and most of the staff worked really hard to deliver the best education they could for the kids.

I was a parent governor for a while and I saw some of the problems up close. The school needed upgrading in many areas but there was either no money for it or the council couldn't get to it for ages because of their own cuts.
I know parents who actively sought to have their kids diagnosed or statemented. Some were just naughty kids but the parents had learned from others if they got a diagnosis of ADHD there was additional help in school and of course more welfare benefits.
Our school has a high proportion of SEN kids as the previous headmaster never turned any kid away. Other schools were refusing kids with SEN's to keep their league position up (another issue with league tables) but our head said ALL kids were welcome regardless of problems. It's a fine idea but it did cause the school to get worse, in educational terms. Kids who had been doing well and/or improving (my son amongst them) started to fall behind, then she left for a better job. There aren't the special schools anymore, kids with SEN's should be in mainstream, again a nice idea but when you see your kids results tailing off, well, being a selfish parent who wants the nest for my son, you get the idea.
Any more cuts and we are betraying generations of kids. The other issue with that is (this should get the attention of the Indyfans) Welsh independence, if Brexit does cause the break up of the union, we need our kids to be educated enough to build the country up in years to come.
This is something the WAG need to seriously consider. Wales needs well educated kids for a brighter future.

More cuts? on 12:18 - Oct 18 with 1433 viewsProfessor

More cuts? on 10:45 - Oct 18 by Catullus

I was a parent governor for a while and I saw some of the problems up close. The school needed upgrading in many areas but there was either no money for it or the council couldn't get to it for ages because of their own cuts.
I know parents who actively sought to have their kids diagnosed or statemented. Some were just naughty kids but the parents had learned from others if they got a diagnosis of ADHD there was additional help in school and of course more welfare benefits.
Our school has a high proportion of SEN kids as the previous headmaster never turned any kid away. Other schools were refusing kids with SEN's to keep their league position up (another issue with league tables) but our head said ALL kids were welcome regardless of problems. It's a fine idea but it did cause the school to get worse, in educational terms. Kids who had been doing well and/or improving (my son amongst them) started to fall behind, then she left for a better job. There aren't the special schools anymore, kids with SEN's should be in mainstream, again a nice idea but when you see your kids results tailing off, well, being a selfish parent who wants the nest for my son, you get the idea.
Any more cuts and we are betraying generations of kids. The other issue with that is (this should get the attention of the Indyfans) Welsh independence, if Brexit does cause the break up of the union, we need our kids to be educated enough to build the country up in years to come.
This is something the WAG need to seriously consider. Wales needs well educated kids for a brighter future.

All of this is the case. My wife works in an outstanding primary in Cheshire. Budget is an issue, but the school is oversubscribed and takes a larger share of SEN kids as others refuse. It does however have a good structural fabric and get leadership.

Of course the WAG educational budget is based on what flows from Westminster. What I do know is my kids are getting/had much better education in Cheshire and latterly in Wirral than my nieces and nephews get in South Wales and generally University standards are lower across the sector (with exceptions of Swansea and Cardiff)
More cuts? on 13:14 - Oct 18 with 1403 viewsLeonWasGod

More cuts? on 10:33 - Oct 18 by Catullus

If you read the article the person who highlighted this doesn't blame Westminster, he blames the WAG.

He's appealing to the WG because that'a where they get their money from. But where do the WG get their money from....? It's all in the context of 8 years of cuts, that is also explicit in one of the complaints in question.

"opportunity to end austerity in Wales". He's having a laugh. £370m 'extra' from Westminster is pissing in the wind against a total budget of around £17bn.

To put it all in context, some apparent facts on the country's budget (from WG itself):
- in 2019-20, the Welsh budget will be 5% lower in real terms, on a like for like basis,
than at the start of the decade in 2010-11 — this is equivalent to £800m to spend on public
services.
- If spending on public services had kept pace with the growth in GDP since 2010-
11, we would have had an extra £4bn to spend in 2019-20, more than 20% up on our
actual budget.
More cuts? on 16:09 - Oct 18 with 1325 viewsCatullus

More cuts? on 13:14 - Oct 18 by LeonWasGod

He's appealing to the WG because that'a where they get their money from. But where do the WG get their money from....? It's all in the context of 8 years of cuts, that is also explicit in one of the complaints in question.

"opportunity to end austerity in Wales". He's having a laugh. £370m 'extra' from Westminster is pissing in the wind against a total budget of around £17bn.

To put it all in context, some apparent facts on the country's budget (from WG itself):
- in 2019-20, the Welsh budget will be 5% lower in real terms, on a like for like basis,
than at the start of the decade in 2010-11 — this is equivalent to £800m to spend on public
services.
- If spending on public services had kept pace with the growth in GDP since 2010-
11, we would have had an extra £4bn to spend in 2019-20, more than 20% up on our
actual budget.

Which leads people to question where our money is spent? The Welsh language spending is often criticised because, while it's a nice idea, is it more important than people's lives?

Then there's the WAG idea that they need 30% more AM's and all the staff that goes with it. Thry say it will only cost 10 million but that 10 million comes from somewhere else's budget.

There's always money in the pot for political junkets though.

More cuts? on 17:05 - Oct 18 with 1306 viewstrampie

More cuts? on 16:09 - Oct 18 by Catullus

Which leads people to question where our money is spent? The Welsh language spending is often criticised because, while it's a nice idea, is it more important than people's lives?

Then there's the WAG idea that they need 30% more AM's and all the staff that goes with it. Thry say it will only cost 10 million but that 10 million comes from somewhere else's budget.

Welsh language spending is only 0.15% of the budget.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

More cuts? on 17:24 - Oct 18 with 1287 viewsKilkennyjack

More cuts? on 16:09 - Oct 18 by Catullus

You are doing the Englishman’s job for him.

After we talk about ....

Crossrail
HS2
Heathrow Expansion
Illegal Wars
Brexit costs
Trident costs
Tax evasion costs

Then - and only then - need we consider the costs of providing services in the welsh language in wales. Most countries in the world consider this perfectly normal.

More cuts? on 09:27 - Oct 19 with 1165 viewsCatullus

More cuts? on 17:05 - Oct 18 by trampie

Welsh language spending is only 0.15% of the budget.

It's 150 million that could be better spent elsewhere.

More cuts? on 09:34 - Oct 19 with 1160 viewsCatullus

More cuts? on 17:24 - Oct 18 by Kilkennyjack

You are doing the Englishman’s job for him.

After we talk about ....

Crossrail
HS2
Heathrow Expansion
Illegal Wars
Brexit costs
Trident costs
Tax evasion costs

Then - and only then - need we consider the costs of providing services in the welsh language in wales. Most countries in the world consider this perfectly normal.

I'm not doing an Englishmans job, I'm doing a parents job and questioning where we spend money when schools are suffering here.

Like it or not when something is wrong it is just wrong. Obviously illegal wars are wrong, as are tax evasion or fiddling expenses or maybe using tax payers money to fly to France to watch football.

You just have tunnel vision when it comes to apportioning blame, it's not all black and white (or red and blue) and governments should worry about quality of life. Who knows, one day maybe English will be an extinct language.

More cuts? on 09:34 - Oct 19 with 1160 viewsLeonWasGod

More cuts? on 09:27 - Oct 19 by Catullus

It's 150 million that could be better spent elsewhere.

Surely the point is that it shouldn't have to be? If public services weren't being screwed into the ground by the Tories we wouldn't even have to decide whether it's better to cut off our left arm or right arm. We could keep both.

Personally I think spending money on trying to retain and growth the language of a nation (and sense of belonging and community that goes with that) is money well spent. Especially as we're losing so much diversity in an ever global and corporate world. Anything that makes Wales a different and interesting place to live is ok by me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024