Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Collective Responsibility 17:46 - Oct 19 with 1642 viewsPrivate_Partz

A couple of days ago I heard on BBC Cardiff that a Flintshire AM had removed her name off a letter complaining of the lack of Local Government funding, and Education in particular, as a result of the financial problems the local schools were experiencing.. She has even officially apologised for signing up to the letter.
The reason? Carwyn Jones had reminded her of her responsibilities under Collective Responsibility.
So there you have it folks. If you feel your Welsh Labour AM is not fighting the corner for their area the answer is Complacent Carwyn's CR factor being waved in their faces.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Collective Responsibility on 19:24 - Oct 19 with 1602 viewsexiledclaseboy

She’s a government minister. If she disagrees with a government decision she either sucks it up amd supports it publicly or resigns as a minister. That’s how it works.

Poll: Tory leader

Collective Responsibility on 20:13 - Oct 19 with 1579 viewsAguycalledJack

Pity they don’t take collective responsibility for a number of other issues.
Collective Responsibility on 20:20 - Oct 19 with 1572 viewsPrivate_Partz

Collective Responsibility on 19:24 - Oct 19 by exiledclaseboy

She’s a government minister. If she disagrees with a government decision she either sucks it up amd supports it publicly or resigns as a minister. That’s how it works.

Which is exactly my point. They all keep schtum to retain their seat on the gravy train. I suspect if it applies to what is laughingly called a 'minister' then those of lesser status will be subject to the same pressures.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2018 20:22]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Collective Responsibility on 20:23 - Oct 19 with 1565 viewsexiledclaseboy

Collective Responsibility on 20:20 - Oct 19 by Private_Partz

Which is exactly my point. They all keep schtum to retain their seat on the gravy train. I suspect if it applies to what is laughingly called a 'minister' then those of lesser status will be subject to the same pressures.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2018 20:22]

It applies to anyone on the government payroll. Actually, in Westminster that includes unpaid parliamentary private secretaries, who are basically ministers’ aids in the house. It doesn’t apply to non ministers, I.e. backbench MPs/AMs. The whips are there to keep them in line.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2018 20:26]

Collective Responsibility on 21:02 - Oct 19 with 1545 viewsPrivate_Partz

Collective Responsibility on 20:23 - Oct 19 by exiledclaseboy

It applies to anyone on the government payroll. Actually, in Westminster that includes unpaid parliamentary private secretaries, who are basically ministers’ aids in the house. It doesn’t apply to non ministers, I.e. backbench MPs/AMs. The whips are there to keep them in line.

I agree. It certainly brings it home though when an AM public ally gets a slapped wrist, has to withdraw from a protest, and actually apologise when schools and education in her patch are obviously suffering.
We need more politicians falling on their swords but it ain't going to happen and so the decline will continue.

Collective Responsibility on 21:04 - Oct 19 with 1540 viewsexiledclaseboy

Collective Responsibility on 21:02 - Oct 19 by Private_Partz

I agree. It certainly brings it home though when an AM public ally gets a slapped wrist, has to withdraw from a protest, and actually apologise when schools and education in her patch are obviously suffering.
We need more politicians falling on their swords but it ain't going to happen and so the decline will continue.

No what brings it home is that this AM clearly feels strongly about it but not strongly enough to take the only option available to a minister when they disagree with a government’s decision, which is to resign. She could always have told Carwyn to stick his job.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2018 21:11]

Collective Responsibility on 21:19 - Oct 19 with 1528 viewsPrivate_Partz

Collective Responsibility on 21:04 - Oct 19 by exiledclaseboy

No what brings it home is that this AM clearly feels strongly about it but not strongly enough to take the only option available to a minister when they disagree with a government’s decision, which is to resign. She could always have told Carwyn to stick his job.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2018 21:11]

I agree. That equates to falling on their sword in my book.
I actually have some sympathy with WAG ( I do, honestly :-)) as it Central Govt funding that plays a huge part in this.
They cannot be let off the hook though. They don't protest enough and Education funding is ridiculously complicated apparently. Also places like Cardiff do get preferential treatment over other areas.

Collective Responsibility on 21:24 - Oct 19 with 1523 viewsexiledclaseboy

Collective Responsibility on 21:19 - Oct 19 by Private_Partz

I agree. That equates to falling on their sword in my book.
I actually have some sympathy with WAG ( I do, honestly :-)) as it Central Govt funding that plays a huge part in this.
They cannot be let off the hook though. They don't protest enough and Education funding is ridiculously complicated apparently. Also places like Cardiff do get preferential treatment over other areas.

I’m going to stop talking to you in every thread in which you refer to an organisation that doesn’t exist.

Login to get fewer ads

Collective Responsibility on 21:32 - Oct 19 with 1515 viewsPrivate_Partz

Collective Responsibility on 21:24 - Oct 19 by exiledclaseboy

I’m going to stop talking to you in every thread in which you refer to an organisation that doesn’t exist.

Fussy sod ;-) I can't call that shower a 'Government' outright mainly because in my view they are not. Just a regional administration. Just as I can't call Wales a Country. I use 'Principality' which also annoys a few lol.
When we become Independant I will toe the line ;-)

Collective Responsibility on 21:36 - Oct 19 with 1511 viewsexiledclaseboy

Collective Responsibility on 21:32 - Oct 19 by Private_Partz

Fussy sod ;-) I can't call that shower a 'Government' outright mainly because in my view they are not. Just a regional administration. Just as I can't call Wales a Country. I use 'Principality' which also annoys a few lol.
When we become Independant I will toe the line ;-)

It matters not what you think. Wales is a country, it’s government is a government. Referring to it as a “principality” is just stupid. With all due respect.

Collective Responsibility on 21:54 - Oct 19 with 1504 viewsCatullus

Collective Responsibility on 20:23 - Oct 19 by exiledclaseboy

The whips, yes that's another problem, there shouldn't be whips. If MP's are there to vote on the basis of having all the information AND representing their constituencies views as much as possible then whips are just wrong. Being bullied into voting against your conscience or conviction is wrong.
I get the collective responsibility of being a minister but if someone has strongly opposing views then have the gumption to stand down and stand by your convictions.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Collective Responsibility on 17:20 - Oct 20 with 1437 viewsPrivate_Partz

Collective Responsibility on 21:36 - Oct 19 by exiledclaseboy

It matters not what you think. Wales is a country, it’s government is a government. Referring to it as a “principality” is just stupid. With all due respect.

Of course it matters what I think....to me. WAG is not a Government as per Westminster. Call it Local Government if you like. A Super Local Authority. They are beholden to hand outs from the Tories and make a tight royal eff up of what they do with it.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2018 18:01]

Collective Responsibility on 17:23 - Oct 20 with 1427 viewsexiledclaseboy

Collective Responsibility on 17:20 - Oct 20 by Private_Partz

Of course it matters what I think....to me. WAG is not a Government as per Westminster. Call it Local Government if you like. A Super Local Authority. They are beholden to hand outs from the Tories and make a tight royal eff up of what they do with it.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2018 18:01]

Well you’re just factually incorrect. The assembly has primary law making powers amd complete autonomy in the areas devolved to it. It’s about as far removed from being a local authority as it’s possible to be in this context.

Collective Responsibility on 17:45 - Oct 20 with 1408 viewsWingstandwood

Collective Responsibility on 21:02 - Oct 19 by Private_Partz

Said on here before the best 'opposition' the Labour WAG ever got when it came to defending Swansea/SW Wales region was from (since left and re-employed at Morriston Hospital) SWEP health correspondent Susan Bailey and (Plaid Cymru) Dr Dai Lloyd.

The late (Labour and Independant) Peter Law was also pretty outspoken and a good-un when speaking out against Cardiff bias and ludicrous white elephants like that opera house in Cardiff Bay.

Blaenau Gwent was lucky because it also had Llew Smith M.P rocking the boat also. I guess Peter Law and Llew Smith were fully aware about the legendary Nye Bevan and his links to Ebbw Vale/Blaenau Gwent and felt both honoured/obliged to share his ideals, beliefs, passion and were a credit by keeping his memory alive!

Our local Labour AM's are utter sh1te because the party comes way before the people whom should indeed be priority No1.

Argus!

Collective Responsibility on 18:11 - Oct 20 with 1386 viewsCatullus

Collective Responsibility on 17:45 - Oct 20 by Wingstandwood

Said on here before the best 'opposition' the Labour WAG ever got when it came to defending Swansea/SW Wales region was from (since left and re-employed at Morriston Hospital) SWEP health correspondent Susan Bailey and (Plaid Cymru) Dr Dai Lloyd.

The late (Labour and Independant) Peter Law was also pretty outspoken and a good-un when speaking out against Cardiff bias and ludicrous white elephants like that opera house in Cardiff Bay.

Blaenau Gwent was lucky because it also had Llew Smith M.P rocking the boat also. I guess Peter Law and Llew Smith were fully aware about the legendary Nye Bevan and his links to Ebbw Vale/Blaenau Gwent and felt both honoured/obliged to share his ideals, beliefs, passion and were a credit by keeping his memory alive!

Our local Labour AM's are utter sh1te because the party comes way before the people whom should indeed be priority No1.

I agree with you but I would go further, collective responsibility (it seems to me) is also about protecting their gravy train. I've said it plenty of times, politicians are all in it together, well most of them are.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Collective Responsibility on 18:13 - Oct 20 with 1382 viewsLoyal

Collective Responsibility on 19:24 - Oct 19 by exiledclaseboy

Bit like the Swansea managers dilemma over the past three years.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024