Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes 20:26 - Oct 23 with 13610 views_

Facking pathetic Potter

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 09:46 - Oct 25 with 1835 viewsEU5Makaveli

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 08:57 - Oct 25 by _

It's not a mistake lad, it's called a tactic.

And it wasn't just Naughton, it was. Grimes on the other side.

The formation as best I can diagram it was

-------------------------- Nordvelt -------------------------

--------------------- CCV ------- VdH --------------------
Roberts ----/-----------------------------/----- Olsson
-----/---Naughton --Carroll --- Grimes ---/---

James ----------------------------------------------- Celina
---------------------------- McBurnie ------------------------

Roberts was trying his best to bomb on leaving Naughton to tuck into a 3 when necessary and the same the other side.

And they were all over the shop with their responsibilities.

Then we went with a flat back 4 and things started to click, albeit more when we got a bit more steel in the middle when Fer and Fulton came on.

I get where your coming from, but if you look at any team who tries to play with high full backs, the deep lying midfielders will generally find themselves plugging holes in the full back positions when the full backs bomb on. The Liverpool game lastnight is a perfect example.

I think the difference between Naughton and Roberts at RB is that Roberts is a lot more attack- minded and always tends to overlap the winger.

It doesn’t help that we were camped in our own half for large spells of the 35 minutes either, meaning the deep lying midfielders were on top of the back 4 and even deeper than them on times when tracking runners
Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes (n/t) on 09:46 - Oct 25 with 1835 viewsEU5Makaveli

http://sport.bt.com/video/highlights-liverpool-4-0-red-star-belgrade-91364305344

Anyone who has a spare 5 mins, watch it and look out for how many times wjinaldum (however you spell it) finds himself in a left back position, and Fabinho finds himself as a third centre back when the full backs push on

And before anyone starts- I hate the scouse b*stards
[Post edited 25 Oct 2018 9:56]
Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:03 - Oct 25 with 1805 viewsmagicdaps10

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 09:32 - Oct 25 by builthjack

Daps hasn't played the game like me and you

That be right.

I can guarantee I have not played on the same level as Chris, dont know you so cant comment.

What standard you played up to, League of Wales?

😜

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:10 - Oct 25 with 1786 views_

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 09:46 - Oct 25 by EU5Makaveli

I get where your coming from, but if you look at any team who tries to play with high full backs, the deep lying midfielders will generally find themselves plugging holes in the full back positions when the full backs bomb on. The Liverpool game lastnight is a perfect example.

I think the difference between Naughton and Roberts at RB is that Roberts is a lot more attack- minded and always tends to overlap the winger.

It doesn’t help that we were camped in our own half for large spells of the 35 minutes either, meaning the deep lying midfielders were on top of the back 4 and even deeper than them on times when tracking runners

Yes but to a lesser extent. You wouldn't see Wijnaldum or Henderson
dropping regularly in to make it a marshalling back 3

Naughton and Grimes were picked especially for these roles. I know what he tried to do and he's done it a lot, it's the total football theory, and total football doesn't mean pass, pass, pass, pass, it's the ability for players to play anywhere. The Dutch loved that 343 system where the midfielders could either support or sweep.

Imagine us attacking down our right..... Roberts bombing on past Dan James, James cutting in and playing it back to Roberts, Roberts slipping it back again to Dan James, creating those two on one's etc, and then Naughton plugging the gap making it a 3 at the back with Grimes pushed on, Olsson too for the switch or to support the attack coming in from the other side.

And then the same on that other side with Olsson and Celina with Grimes sweeping back into the 3 and providing that platform.

I get the idea but we were all over the shop with it. Mostly because these players are in and out in and out, they're not quite ready for total football and we could really do with seeing some consistency in terms of player chemistry.... You know, like we saw in the second half.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:11 - Oct 25 with 1781 views_

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 09:46 - Oct 25 by EU5Makaveli

And sorry, lastly, why were we camped in our own half?

Because the players couldn't implement the tactics. They got confused by what Potter wanted.

It just didn't work. One experiment too many.

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:12 - Oct 25 with 1778 viewsLoyal

I see absolutely nothing wrong in changing formations as and when, Potter is a top notch coach who reads people and the game well, proven. We don't know what they are working on day to day and not just before games, all the time. To suggest he is rigid and stays in shape without reacting to in play situations is utter madneas.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:34 - Oct 25 with 1763 views_

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:12 - Oct 25 by Loyal

I see absolutely nothing wrong in changing formations as and when, Potter is a top notch coach who reads people and the game well, proven. We don't know what they are working on day to day and not just before games, all the time. To suggest he is rigid and stays in shape without reacting to in play situations is utter madneas.

Before Tuesday. One win in 7.

At half due to more completely unnecessary tinkering, we were 1 down and shapeless.

Case closed.

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:58 - Oct 25 with 1736 viewsjackrmee

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 09:32 - Oct 25 by builthjack

Daps hasn't played the game like me and you

Who did you all play for lads?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Login to get fewer ads

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:04 - Oct 25 with 1727 views34dfgdf54

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:58 - Oct 25 by jackrmee

I'm interested to know this now.
Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:19 - Oct 25 with 1712 views34dfgdf54

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:34 - Oct 25 by _

Before Tuesday. One win in 7.

At half due to more completely unnecessary tinkering, we were 1 down and shapeless.

Case closed.

Forest Home - Could have done better, but a point againt a side who will be there or thereabouts.

Boro Away - 0-0 away against one of the league favourites, best defence in the league by a distance

Stoke Away - Completely robbed, loads of injuries to boot.

QPR Home - Battered them

Wigan Away - Another great point agaisnt a team who I'm sure have the best home form in the division?

Ipswich Home - Should have buried them. Bad result granted.

Villa Away - Always going to be tough, I personally didn't expect anything but loads on here said we were the better side and should have won.

Blackburn Home - Win.

Home form is a bit of a concern granted, but judging him on those seven games is a bit harsh in my opinion. Two draws againt good sides away, should have been another agaisnt Stoke but bad decisons cost us.

Forest and Ipwich at home are below par results granted, but that's about it. I'm hoping the win Tuesday will straighten out the home form with another one Saturday agaisnt a struggling Reading side.
Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:55 - Oct 25 with 1671 views_

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:19 - Oct 25 by 34dfgdf54

Forest Home - Could have done better, but a point againt a side who will be there or thereabouts.

Boro Away - 0-0 away against one of the league favourites, best defence in the league by a distance

Stoke Away - Completely robbed, loads of injuries to boot.

QPR Home - Battered them

Wigan Away - Another great point agaisnt a team who I'm sure have the best home form in the division?

Ipswich Home - Should have buried them. Bad result granted.

Villa Away - Always going to be tough, I personally didn't expect anything but loads on here said we were the better side and should have won.

Blackburn Home - Win.

Home form is a bit of a concern granted, but judging him on those seven games is a bit harsh in my opinion. Two draws againt good sides away, should have been another agaisnt Stoke but bad decisons cost us.

Forest and Ipwich at home are below par results granted, but that's about it. I'm hoping the win Tuesday will straighten out the home form with another one Saturday agaisnt a struggling Reading side.

Not sure what you're trying to get at with that. Apart from make excuses a tad.

Boro just drew at home with Rotherham and Stoke are hovering above the drop zone.

We should've beaten Wigan, Forest, Ipswich and got something from Villa

And OK, maybe not too cocky here in saying should have, but we really could have, and that's the point. We've been guilty of trying to be a bit too clever with a view on assessing the opposition as opposed to making our first XI properly gel

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:59 - Oct 25 with 1666 viewsjackrmee

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:55 - Oct 25 by _

Not sure what you're trying to get at with that. Apart from make excuses a tad.

Boro just drew at home with Rotherham and Stoke are hovering above the drop zone.

We should've beaten Wigan, Forest, Ipswich and got something from Villa

And OK, maybe not too cocky here in saying should have, but we really could have, and that's the point. We've been guilty of trying to be a bit too clever with a view on assessing the opposition as opposed to making our first XI properly gel

Personally I don't think he is attempting to make a first xi gel yet. That's not his plan and it's not all about winning games right now

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 12:04 - Oct 25 with 1661 views_

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:59 - Oct 25 by jackrmee

Personally I don't think he is attempting to make a first xi gel yet. That's not his plan and it's not all about winning games right now

Yes well if that's the case it's bloody nonsense.

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 16:54 - Oct 25 with 1540 viewsJinxy

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:59 - Oct 25 by jackrmee

I agree with this. It's more about establishing a footballing philosophy, testing players in different positions, taking them out of their comfort zone, keeping them learning - much the same as getting the Ostersunds players and staff performing shows etc. in front of the locals! ps when's that happening here Graham?!

As part of this whole thing is experimenting, which of course gives rise to errors and minor failures, but uncovering a few gems and successes too. That means losing a few games (where it would be "safe" to play purely to win that one game) - speculating to accumulate in the longer term. That's why I am happy with staying in this league for at least this season. I'm loving watching us develop (again!).
Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 17:05 - Oct 25 with 1529 viewsLoyal

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 12:04 - Oct 25 by _

Yes well if that's the case it's bloody nonsense.

The guys track record means he is given opportunity to do as he thinks is best. You said yourself we should be happy with him as long as we stabilise and move forwards.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 09:47 - Oct 27 with 1382 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 16:54 - Oct 25 by Jinxy

I agree with this. It's more about establishing a footballing philosophy, testing players in different positions, taking them out of their comfort zone, keeping them learning - much the same as getting the Ostersunds players and staff performing shows etc. in front of the locals! ps when's that happening here Graham?!

As part of this whole thing is experimenting, which of course gives rise to errors and minor failures, but uncovering a few gems and successes too. That means losing a few games (where it would be "safe" to play purely to win that one game) - speculating to accumulate in the longer term. That's why I am happy with staying in this league for at least this season. I'm loving watching us develop (again!).

That's a fair comment although I fear that if we miss out on promotion this season it's only going to get harder. If Newcastle come down then that's one auto spot booked. The great thing for us is that this league is entirely forgiving, and despite much inconsistency and experimentation we remain only two wins from the top of the table...……..

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 09:58 - Oct 27 with 1370 viewsCaptain_Sham

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:58 - Oct 25 by jackrmee

Im guessing Cefn Coed High Security ward.

Its just a ride.

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:40 - Oct 27 with 1338 viewsJinxy

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 09:47 - Oct 27 by Brynmill_Jack

That's a fair comment although I fear that if we miss out on promotion this season it's only going to get harder. If Newcastle come down then that's one auto spot booked. The great thing for us is that this league is entirely forgiving, and despite much inconsistency and experimentation we remain only two wins from the top of the table...……..

I know what you mean. Every seasons has its challenges eh. For me, the biggest obstacle will be holding on to GP, especially if we finish inside or just outside the play off places. I like to think that if we lose players (e.g. CR, JR, DJ etc.) then we would either attract young players with aspirations (through our vastly improved scouting network!), or enable more academy players to come through (they will all be champing at the bit now). GP is far more irreplaceable than even our best players in my view.

When LT10 virtually caught the ball and threw it into the net at home (v Doncaster I think?) and we missed out on a play off place, I consoled myself by concluding it would have been too early for us. Same in the play off final v Barnsley (hard as that particular one was to stand and watch it). Everything has a time, place and reason?

Hopefully GP will want to see the job through, because no matter how well he is tied down contractually if he feels the club don't match his aspirations through their actions, coupled with a bigger/better opportunity coming a-calling, he and his team will be offski. Board please take note!
Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:59 - Oct 27 with 1328 views34dfgdf54

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 09:47 - Oct 27 by Brynmill_Jack

How can we realistically expect promotion?

If it happens, then it will be an unbelievable achievement, but that would be going well above and beyond the targets set for Potter this year.

The owners, which many back on here, said themselves it will be a long road back, it doesn’t happen overnight.
Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:15 - Oct 27 with 1311 views_

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 10:59 - Oct 27 by 34dfgdf54

How can we realistically expect promotion?

If it happens, then it will be an unbelievable achievement, but that would be going well above and beyond the targets set for Potter this year.

The owners, which many back on here, said themselves it will be a long road back, it doesn’t happen overnight.

Potters under no pressure to deliver promotion and this season may be too early but everyone at the Club is aiming for it no matter what some of these ludicrous comments on here are saying.

Potter has been making changes to win games or because something happened the week before, he's not doing it to experiment FFS.

He's changed formation and shape twice in the last two games and both times before half time. He's doing that because his first plan didn't come off.

And he's doing that to win games.

This is a promotion challenge, make no bones about it.

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:38 - Oct 27 with 1277 viewsjackrmee

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:15 - Oct 27 by _

Potters under no pressure to deliver promotion and this season may be too early but everyone at the Club is aiming for it no matter what some of these ludicrous comments on here are saying.

Potter has been making changes to win games or because something happened the week before, he's not doing it to experiment FFS.

He's changed formation and shape twice in the last two games and both times before half time. He's doing that because his first plan didn't come off.

Of course he's putting teams out to win the game. But he is balancing that with the wellbeing and development of our players. Winning the game isn't the be all and end all. Therefore, a promotion push is not his priority.

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 12:00 - Oct 27 with 1246 views_

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:38 - Oct 27 by jackrmee

Of course he's putting teams out to win the game. But he is balancing that with the wellbeing and development of our players. Winning the game isn't the be all and end all. Therefore, a promotion push is not his priority.

It's not that really either mate. Cian Harris got picked tactically against Villa, not for any other reason.

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 12:13 - Oct 27 with 1235 views34dfgdf54

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 11:15 - Oct 27 by _

Of course everyone is aiming for promotion in the long run, but this season is all about clearing the decks financially, this will be further proven in January I have no doubt.

Potter is over achieving as it stands and and it’s unfair to judge him when our form drops, which it will in stages his season.

He makes changes to win games, it’s a results business at the end of end day, but I absolutely believe he makes changes to the starting XI to experiment and see who he can rely on in the near future. More will be going in January I have no doubt whatsoever, you can’t have your cake and eat it, fully understand sorting ourselves out financially, but don’t jump on the manager when the form drops, he’s doing above and beyond what was expected:
Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 12:42 - Oct 27 with 1217 views_

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 12:13 - Oct 27 by 34dfgdf54

Of course everyone is aiming for promotion in the long run, but this season is all about clearing the decks financially, this will be further proven in January I have no doubt.

Potter is over achieving as it stands and and it’s unfair to judge him when our form drops, which it will in stages his season.

He makes changes to win games, it’s a results business at the end of end day, but I absolutely believe he makes changes to the starting XI to experiment and see who he can rely on in the near future. More will be going in January I have no doubt whatsoever, you can’t have your cake and eat it, fully understand sorting ourselves out financially, but don’t jump on the manager when the form drops, he’s doing above and beyond what was expected:

Well you're wrong mate.

He's not experimenting for the sake of it or for some long game plan. He's experimenting to win the game we're at.

This season is about promotion

And he's made changes the last two games to rectify mistakes. You haven't got to defend him blindly for the sake of it, he doesn't need that. It's OK to point out when he's made a mistake, it doesn't change anything long term. I still love Potter as I'm sure we all do.

And trust me,we're not planning on losing anyone we don't want to lose.

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 13:41 - Oct 27 with 1185 viewsJinxy

Gone to a flat back 4 on 36 minutes on 12:42 - Oct 27 by _

Well you're wrong mate.

He's not experimenting for the sake of it or for some long game plan. He's experimenting to win the game we're at.

This season is about promotion

And he's made changes the last two games to rectify mistakes. You haven't got to defend him blindly for the sake of it, he doesn't need that. It's OK to point out when he's made a mistake, it doesn't change anything long term. I still love Potter as I'm sure we all do.

And trust me,we're not planning on losing anyone we don't want to lose.

All about opinions of course and I am certainly no expert (far, far from it!), but this guy just seems to approach football differently. I think he probably thinks about guarding against every eventuality (injuries, losing players etc.), and even applies a philosophy of rotating, not dropping players although if some clearly underperform then last week he proved there is a line of tolerance. most other coaches do seem to have contingencies, but not deploy them until they are forced to. Potter is different. He is certainly a thinker, and his preferred qualification probably supports that.

It wouldn't surprise me if he is actively rotating keepers, so that any combination of CB's and GK's work efficiently. He wouldn't surprise me if he started Mulder today, or soon despite Nordfeldt's performances! I mean how downhearted would "2nd string" players be once we exited cup competitions - just waiting on injuries then (although that occasionally ends up well e.g. Ben Davies). He probably also mulls over how/why teams do or should perform differently away versus home! I can't predict his line-ups or formations easily, and I like that because probably neither can the opposition. I think his only target is performance quality - results will follow suit.

What I am saying is what 1 or 2 others seem to be saying here, in that he is not hung up on not winning every game (although that is his preferred desire of course). In a defeat or draw, he might learn some very valuable lessons that can be applied in future games, which can then result in an improvement in consistency or flexibility. That is why we are visibly improving in my view, because he is prepared to take risk, experiment and challenge. He would likely say that he wants to stay, not get into the EPL. Only my viewpoint of course!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024