Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. 10:34 - Oct 25 with 1684 viewsjackrmee

Firstly, excuse the long OP, but I have a few points to make...

I'm getting quite frustrated with this forum, as there is constant bickering and it really seems like everyone hates eachother. It's mental mun.
I'm sure this isn't the only forum whose posters think they know better than the manager, but alas, we do not. And in fact, after beating Blackburn (as Jasper stated) "the Blackburn fans mostly think they've been robbed by a shockingly poor side due to their own manager's bad tactical changes (took Graham off, put a striker on the wing and their best midfielder up front)."...So it's clearly not just us.

GP is not going to stop his tinkering, as he has stated post Blackburn match. IMO he is justified to do so. He has many quality young players at his disposal now, due to him being brave and knowledgeable enough to give them their first chance in senior football, and I guess not having many other alternatives, but either way this has worked wonders. But he says that he needs to bring them in slowly, even if they are in form, so they can't play week in week out, hence Rodon being dropped to the bench (not because he's being forced by the board to keep him fresh for prospective buyers in January as some posters have mentioned ).
This is what he said when questioned after the game about the tinkering...
(Q)The subs worked well today, but with changes made over games fans have wondered what is behind them, especially something like the change of goalkeeper between Kristoffer Nordfeldt and Erwin Mulder. Can you explain the thinking behind the changes from game to game?
(A)"From game to game it depends on the players, it’s a 20 minute answer if I’m being honest.
Leroy Fer wasn’t ready to play 90 minutes from the start, Tom Carroll only had two days training before the Villa game and we had boys coming back from international duty.
Dan James is unable to play at the level he did today three times a week at his age, so there’s a complexity about how you want to play in the game and maintain your own idea.
I understand the mantra is to keep a settled team which might be easier for me, but my responsibility is to do what I think is right, then I know that if we lose I’m wrong. I’d rather take that responsibility than take the easy way out. The supporters can disagree and that's their right to do so. They can have a different point of view but that’s the beauty of football.
If we don't get results, anything I do is wrong. So I have to stick to my principles and what I think is right, I’ve done that since I started at Swansea City and I will continue to do that."

I applaud the guy for his honesty and his assertiveness. He is doing his own thing and has confidence in himself. There must be a lot of pressure to bow to fans expectations, especially when hearing boos from the stands and having questions like that fired at you, but he has confidence in himself and his team.
I for one can see that he knows better than I, even though I don't agree with many of his decisions initially (mainly the keeper situation), but I will still stand by him and it actually excites me to see what happens next, as I believe it will be positive.
He even admitted that he confused the players on Tuesday, but it's early days and that is not necessarily a bad thing. It helps GP learn where the boys are mentally and tactically and what they are ready to implement. He soon realised this wasn't the right time and he is able to change things quickly and got the win quite emphatically ffs. If/when our players do finally learn all GP's tactics and ideas they can go on to be world beaters, and this division will have no answers or clues to what's going on when they play us.
It's a case of patience I believe. Something fans on here seem to have little of.
Would you prefer to have a manager who doesn't try new things? Who sticks to the same thing every week, so other teams know what to expect from us?

Maybe when we are able to get some players back fully fit from injury (Bony,Fer), a few new players in and get shot of the higher earners (Dyer, Routs, Narsingh), he will be more able to field a more settled side, as we will have more experienced players in those positions.
However, I am slightly fearful that will come at the expense of seeing our upcoming young stars play less. But again, a manager of Potter's ilk seems to know more about blooding youngsters and looking after their well-being than I, so I trust him to bring them through as stars in the best way possible.

A couple of quotes from posters I'd like to comment on:

T2C - "Our squad is as good as anyone in this league. We're short here and there but overall we've got the talent in abundance."
*I do agree with this somewhat...we do have talent in abundance, however there are teams who have much better squads on paper.
With Bony back and Fer back to full strength and able to play regular 90s I'd be really happy with our squad, as GP is creating depth with his ability to get players to perform in other positions.
I do however also agree with other posters who've said we need a solid, ballplaying CDM from somewhere. Another Leon if you will. But where are we going to find one for free? This is another reason I agree totally with GP's tinkering. We need to find one of our squad who can do that job. Unfortunately, this is one position we haven't been able to do that to any great extent.
We do have players who can do a decent job there, but none to the high enough standard we really need, or ones that are able to play better in other positions so are more important there ie. Celina, Fer, Naughton, Grimes.
Hopefully we can rectify this in January. Or maybe Bony can be redeployed as a solid CDM

Brynmill_Jack - "If anyone could have got inside Mesa's head it would have been Potter. But CDM wasn't Mesa's position , apparently he liked to play further forward."
*I totally agree with your first sentence, but I think that's what GP is all about. I'm sure most of our players now would initially have preferred to play elsewhere, but he is installing a different mindset. Even the older heads like Naughton and Olsson are playing out of their pre-ordained positions and are seeming to be better, more equipped players for it. I'd love to see Mesa in that CDM position and I'm sure he'd enjoy playing there under Potter's free flowing style.

T2C - "Potter in the first half confused the life out of his own players, he said this himself.
He was trying to be a bit too clever, simple as that. His thinking was we'd be able to push our full backs as far forward as possible and have Naughton and Grimes slotting back in depending on which side we may have been attacking from."
"He's constantly moving players around and they haven't got a facking clue where they're supposed to be or or what their roles are."
*Yes GP did say that himself. He did try to be a bit too clever, but why is that bad when we eventually won convincingly? In a few months time, when they boys have learned more in training, have more experience and are able to grasp GPs ideas better, would you not love to see that tactic work? It's a fresh and new idea, using attacking nous and would bamboozle opponents in this division and above even if played correctly dont you think?
Personally I love it when I see new things on the football field. When I watch MOTD and someone comes out with a training ground plan for a direct free kick or corner which looks good and confuses the other team I love it! Even if it doesn't come off.
OK, maybe a little early for this type of game, but surely worth a try and surely we should be excited to see that again in future?

Cooperman - "If he doesn’t start for Reading as he started the second half last night (against Blackburn) then I will be concerned."
*Please don't be concerned, as I really don't think he's going to start with that 2nd half team. We need to trust in what he's trying to do and not be so concerned about getting back into the prem this year. Really don't think that's going to happen, but am supremely confident we won't be near relegation either, so what's the concern for? We should just sit back and enjoy the ride. Enjoy learning about our young squad alongside GP. We are there with him, finding out what players can do and watching them adapt and grow into our new free flowing system that people are going to be talking about again when we get back to the prem. I for one was the proudest man on earth when we first started playing in the most difficult and challenging league in world football and the whole world were talking about us. It was the best feeling ever and we can get back to that. I truly believe GP is the man to take us there. But it will take time.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 10:37 - Oct 25 with 1674 viewsWhiterockin

TBH can't be bothered to read a post that long.

But yes Potter deserves more time.
Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 10:39 - Oct 25 with 1654 viewsomarjack

Who doesn't want to give GP more time? Are there any posters on here who are already #PotterOut campaigners? I don't think so, he's one of the most popular managers we've ever had I dare say.

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 10:46 - Oct 25 with 1638 viewsjackrmee

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 10:39 - Oct 25 by omarjack

Who doesn't want to give GP more time? Are there any posters on here who are already #PotterOut campaigners? I don't think so, he's one of the most popular managers we've ever had I dare say.

I'm not saying they want him out. I mean before slagging him off and thinking they know better.
Too many after the Blackburn game.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 10:46 - Oct 25 with 1636 viewsraynor94

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 10:37 - Oct 25 by Whiterockin

This

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 10:50 - Oct 25 with 1625 viewsjackrmee

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 10:37 - Oct 25 by Whiterockin

OK, to cut it down for you...

Too much bickering here. Does everyone hate eachother?

GP is not going to stop tinkering as he states here...

I applaud the guy for his honesty and assertiveness.

We will be fine, so stop slagging the kunt off.

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 11:05 - Oct 25 with 1594 views_

I like Potter, he's got my support and it's mostly unconditional as it is with almost all Swans managers.

But that can't always be the case and it can never just be blind faith. By the October of 2017 Clement had to go for me. That was it, no more, Finito.

Potter is nowhere near that territory but we've thrown away too many points with un-necessary tinkering and the last two games are perfect examples of that.

There was also a bit of waffle in his response to the journalists question on why he tinkered mentioning boys coming back from international duty.... Who went on that duty? Connor for one who's played the last two full games, Rodon went without playing but he was in against Villa, McBurnie played for Scotland but has played the last two....

It's not that from him. He's tried to be a bit too clever on occasions this season and it's cost us, it's as simple as that.

He's mentioned Dan James can't play two games in a row after the Villa game. Well if he's out Saturday Potter will come under more pressure.

FFS most of them have just had a two week break so no more flannel, just get on with the job of getting results. Our squad is superb, trust me on that one.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 11:29 - Oct 25 with 1536 viewsFireboy2

I think GP is doing a cracking job

People forget that his tinkering has got us 2 wins at sheff utd and millwall be it because of montero

I feel sorry for him having the likes of dyer,narsingh and routelege training but not being able to play for money reasons

Shocking when these players would make a big difference with their experience and being able to take the pressure of having to play the young uns too much

Keep up the good work GP
Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 11:32 - Oct 25 with 1536 viewsLeonWasGod

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 10:50 - Oct 25 by jackrmee

OK, to cut it down for you...

Too much bickering here. Does everyone hate eachother?

GP is not going to stop tinkering as he states here...

I applaud the guy for his honesty and assertiveness.

We will be fine, so stop slagging the kunt off.

Too much bickering and hate? Feck off you dopey twåt!

Agree btw. There are a lot of ‘earthy’ types on here who aren’t afraid to vent their spleens. It’s been that way as long as I remember, but a little but more humility and humour wouldn’t go amiss.

Potter’s got time hasn’t he? Don’t we all think he’s doing a good job? I’d love us to be in the PL still as the quality is undoubtedly higher there, but we’re playing football that’s good to watch again. Even the disappointment of Ipswich was a cracking match. I’m happy. And it’s fantastic to see our youngsters coming through and playing without fear.
Login to get fewer ads

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 11:37 - Oct 25 with 1528 viewsDr_Winston

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 11:29 - Oct 25 by Fireboy2

People forget that his tinkering has got us 2 wins at sheff utd and millwall be it because of montero

I feel sorry for him having the likes of dyer,narsingh and routelege training but not being able to play for money reasons

Shocking when these players would make a big difference with their experience and being able to take the pressure of having to play the young uns too much

Keep up the good work GP

Tactical changes during a game aren't tinkering. They're part and parcel of the job. Making four or five changes to the starting lineup every game doesn't seem very necessary.

He's played both Dyer and Routledge this season, so the money reasons excuse doesn't stand up to scrutiny. He just doesn't want Narsingh.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 11:37 - Oct 25 with 1515 viewsswan65split

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 11:05 - Oct 25 by _

I like Potter, he's got my support and it's mostly unconditional as it is with almost all Swans managers.

But that can't always be the case and it can never just be blind faith. By the October of 2017 Clement had to go for me. That was it, no more, Finito.

Potter is nowhere near that territory but we've thrown away too many points with un-necessary tinkering and the last two games are perfect examples of that.

There was also a bit of waffle in his response to the journalists question on why he tinkered mentioning boys coming back from international duty.... Who went on that duty? Connor for one who's played the last two full games, Rodon went without playing but he was in against Villa, McBurnie played for Scotland but has played the last two....

It's not that from him. He's tried to be a bit too clever on occasions this season and it's cost us, it's as simple as that.

He's mentioned Dan James can't play two games in a row after the Villa game. Well if he's out Saturday Potter will come under more pressure.

FFS most of them have just had a two week break so no more flannel, just get on with the job of getting results. Our squad is superb, trust me on that one.

He is doing a Job with what the Wild Bunch have left him, cant knock him for that he has more Managers experience than a few on here.

PS wouldnt trust you with a limping toad.
Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 11:41 - Oct 25 with 1521 viewsLeonWasGod

And as a follow-up, I hadn’t heard Potter’s interview. His comment about tinkering is a spot on answer. I’ve always thought it’s the bigger picture he’s looking at. Take Fer for example. He’s coming back from an injury, looked a bit jaded on Saturday. It makes perfect sense to rest him, especially with the next game just a few days away. Much as we’d like to see our best players on the pitch each match, it’s not realistic and he also does need to develop the group.

First half was awful on Tuesday, no getting away from that. But he’s stuck with the squad he’s got. He changed it and it worked, that’s a good thing. If that half rest means Fer and Fulton are fully ready for Saturday, even better.
Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 11:41 - Oct 25 with 1517 viewsJinxy

Phew, that was a hell of a read! Good though, and I agree with pretty much all of it (as I keep posting) - only thing I disagree is re Bony. For me, he is the past and we need to invest in a young main striker/backup for Ollie. Who knows, CBR may take that opportunity. Bony, for evident reasons, cannot be relied upon imho.

As I said to GP in the meet the manager thingy, as long as we (fans) see progress we will be patient, but we do know what good looks like. We should be patient, because progress is what we are seeing. We have a progressive intelligent manager, the slide has stopped, our fantastic young players are flourishing, the Swansea Way is back and we are 10th in the table.

Support and trust the manager. And no more booing please!!
Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 12:03 - Oct 25 with 1468 viewsjackrmee

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 11:41 - Oct 25 by Jinxy

Phew, that was a hell of a read! Good though, and I agree with pretty much all of it (as I keep posting) - only thing I disagree is re Bony. For me, he is the past and we need to invest in a young main striker/backup for Ollie. Who knows, CBR may take that opportunity. Bony, for evident reasons, cannot be relied upon imho.

As I said to GP in the meet the manager thingy, as long as we (fans) see progress we will be patient, but we do know what good looks like. We should be patient, because progress is what we are seeing. We have a progressive intelligent manager, the slide has stopped, our fantastic young players are flourishing, the Swansea Way is back and we are 10th in the table.

Support and trust the manager. And no more booing please!!

Yeah tbh I am hoping rather than expecting Bony to do anything. I would love nothing more than for him to stay and get back to somewhere near his best, but I can't see that happening and I know they need his wage of their books. Sigh...

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 12:07 - Oct 25 with 1461 views_

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 11:29 - Oct 25 by Fireboy2

Keep up the good work GP

What?? No it didn't. Jeff Montero had a lot to do with those wins.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 12:08 - Oct 25 with 1457 viewsZaxx

Potter appears to be unwilling to sacrifice or jeapordise the wellbeing or development his players purely to gain results. This is clearly a medium to long term strategy and imo an essential part of managing young players and those returning from injury, which we have many.
If you want immediate results instead then go support a club which has the money to finance the purchase of whatever players their manager wants. No such luxury here.

Sure, it's hard to get behind the team when things aren't working out but hey, try it, give it a go instead of posting bs rants on a forum, innit?
Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 12:24 - Oct 25 with 1425 viewsjasper_T

He's putting himself under pressure with how many bad first halves we're dishing out, and how many games we're having to chase.

Joint highest points won after going behind in the league (9, same as West Brom). Tinkering to rescue results is a great skill to have but ideally we wouldn't have so many opportunities to try.
Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 12:26 - Oct 25 with 1421 viewsThrasher6

A good read and a good post

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time on 13:46 - Oct 25 with 1316 viewsFireboy2

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 12:07 - Oct 25 by _

What?? No it didn't. Jeff Montero had a lot to do with those wins.

I advise you look closer to what i said after the wins at sheff utd and millwall

You blind cvnt
Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 16:22 - Oct 25 with 1149 viewsCaptain_Sham

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 12:24 - Oct 25 by jasper_T

He's putting himself under pressure with how many bad first halves we're dishing out, and how many games we're having to chase.

Joint highest points won after going behind in the league (9, same as West Brom). Tinkering to rescue results is a great skill to have but ideally we wouldn't have so many opportunities to try.

Yes we should have more great first halves like against Ipswich. Who cares if we lose.

Its just a ride.

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 16:27 - Oct 25 with 1140 viewsjasper_T

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 16:22 - Oct 25 by Captain_Sham

Yes we should have more great first halves like against Ipswich. Who cares if we lose.

Apart from vdH having a rare off-day there was little wrong with the Ipswich performance. A few key mistakes will always cost you, especially when you don't take half a dozen gilt-edged chances, it's no reason to tear up the playbook.
Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 22:19 - Oct 25 with 995 viewsjackrmee

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 12:08 - Oct 25 by Zaxx

Potter appears to be unwilling to sacrifice or jeapordise the wellbeing or development his players purely to gain results. This is clearly a medium to long term strategy and imo an essential part of managing young players and those returning from injury, which we have many.
If you want immediate results instead then go support a club which has the money to finance the purchase of whatever players their manager wants. No such luxury here.

Sure, it's hard to get behind the team when things aren't working out but hey, try it, give it a go instead of posting bs rants on a forum, innit?

Hear fuking hear!

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 22:34 - Oct 25 with 971 viewsjackrmee

*Exceeding expectations?
"I think they all have, I had no idea what they can do. That is part of the process of getting to know them and their attributes. For example, is Dan James more effective on the right or left. Joe (Rodon) and Cian (Harries) were seen as a partnership together with not much between the two, other players have been mentioned and the only way to know give them the opportunity and to let them play. We are trying to develop a group and build something, to do that you need information to make those decisions. That’s the process.”

Graham Potter
[Post edited 25 Oct 2018 22:35]

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 22:36 - Oct 25 with 964 viewsjackrmee

*Potter's expectations changing?
"We try and win the next game, we need to be competitive. We had four and a half weeks to prepare for Sheffield United but I am not going to ask supporters for time. They want to go into a game thinking their team can win. Worrying about what can happen in April and May is far from my thoughts. It’s just focusing on how we can better and how we can win the next match.”

Graham Potter

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 23:52 - Oct 25 with 911 viewsswan65split

Dear forum full of top flight managers, please give GP more time. on 22:36 - Oct 25 by jackrmee

*Potter's expectations changing?
"We try and win the next game, we need to be competitive. We had four and a half weeks to prepare for Sheffield United but I am not going to ask supporters for time. They want to go into a game thinking their team can win. Worrying about what can happen in April and May is far from my thoughts. It’s just focusing on how we can better and how we can win the next match.”

Graham Potter

He has his own plan no doubt...no matter what the Wild Bunch have. ATM i am impressed. .......down to you GP.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024