Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some Early season observations 12:15 - Oct 26 with 2314 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

We haven’t scored from a set piece yet .

We’ve never scored away from home unless montero is on the pitch .

Just a bit of pub talk over a pint like

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Some Early season observations on 12:21 - Oct 26 with 2296 viewsTailGunner

Yep - cant get away from those facts. We have big centre halves who should really be threatening more at set piece. Dan James emergence is a fantastic bonus & will take a bit of pressure off Jeff when he returns.

The positives far outweigh that for me though.
Seeing us passing through teams, running at teams again - is a thing of beauty.
On the whole our transformation is ahead of schedule for me.
It's Great to be generally delighted with our team, but with things to improve on.
Some Early season observations on 12:36 - Oct 26 with 2258 viewspencoedjack

Welcome back Tommy
Some Early season observations on 12:37 - Oct 26 with 2255 viewsjasper_T

Was it Big Joe hit the bar off one corner?
Some Early season observations on 12:44 - Oct 26 with 2233 viewsTailGunner

Some Early season observations on 12:37 - Oct 26 by jasper_T

Was it Big Joe hit the bar off one corner?

Indeed - VDH has had a few headers he should have done better with especially.
Both will probably be a bit disappointed not to have scored yet.

It'll come
Some Early season observations on 12:45 - Oct 26 with 2232 viewsBadlands

Our CBs have developed in an atmosphere where attacking in the penalty area is akin to a contactless sport. They have to get used to the idea that you really can, often, smash your way through defences to reach heading opportunities.
Mawson could head the ball and, as a typical English style bruiser, it to him a few goals (shame about everything else in his game).

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Some Early season observations on 12:47 - Oct 26 with 2224 viewsTailGunner

Did Joe threaten / get many for the 23s Jasper?
Some Early season observations on 12:50 - Oct 26 with 2209 viewsjasper_T

Some Early season observations on 12:47 - Oct 26 by TailGunner

Not many that I can recall. Toshack didn't have them lumping it into the box that often, I'd say at least half our corners last season were training ground routines where Byers and James would try something elaborate.
Some Early season observations on 12:54 - Oct 26 with 2199 viewsBadlands

Some Early season observations on 12:47 - Oct 26 by TailGunner

None - but as has been noted t wasn't the style of the under 23s
Carter-Vickers has scored one for Sheffield last season.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2018 12:55]

Login to get fewer ads

Some Early season observations on 13:24 - Oct 26 with 2127 viewsTailGunner

Thanks both.
Suppose it goes hand in hand to an extent with an expansive philosophy, akin to Martinez & Rodgers style.

Saying that delivery not always be great either. Would be nice to have up the sleeve though
Some Early season observations on 14:08 - Oct 26 with 2029 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Some Early season observations on 12:36 - Oct 26 by pencoedjack

Welcome back Tommy

Thank you , hope you are good mate

Get everyone fit and I think we could get something special going

Some Early season observations on 14:25 - Oct 26 with 1991 viewsHighjack

It seems like all our goals have come from fast counter attacks. We struggle to score against teams that park the bus a bit more.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Some Early season observations on 14:44 - Oct 26 with 1970 viewsBadlands

Some Early season observations on 14:25 - Oct 26 by Highjack

It seems like all our goals have come from fast counter attacks. We struggle to score against teams that park the bus a bit more.

TBF most teams do.
If there is a bus park I think we should hit shots from range aimed just below the crossbar and drive directly into the penalty area in addition to trying to pick our way through the thicket - just mix things up.
I can understand players not shooting if they know all that will happen is the ball will get cannoned back off legs.

I'm also happy to spend 10 minutes keeping possession to draw out defenders or wear them down which is what seems to be happening to some extent
15 goals scored
4 - in the first half
1 - 45-60 minutes
2 - 61- 75 minutes
8 - 76 - end

Some Early season observations on 14:57 - Oct 26 with 1949 viewsCatullus

Some Early season observations on 14:44 - Oct 26 by Badlands

TBF most teams do.
If there is a bus park I think we should hit shots from range aimed just below the crossbar and drive directly into the penalty area in addition to trying to pick our way through the thicket - just mix things up.
I can understand players not shooting if they know all that will happen is the ball will get cannoned back off legs.

I'm also happy to spend 10 minutes keeping possession to draw out defenders or wear them down which is what seems to be happening to some extent
15 goals scored
4 - in the first half
1 - 45-60 minutes
2 - 61- 75 minutes
8 - 76 - end

The thing about shooting is, sometimes it cannons around inside the box and gets poked home, sometimes if deflects and flies in. A good, low and hard shot can reap dividends. We shouldn't be scared to have a go.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Some Early season observations on 21:52 - Oct 26 with 1754 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Some Early season observations on 12:21 - Oct 26 by TailGunner

Yep - cant get away from those facts. We have big centre halves who should really be threatening more at set piece. Dan James emergence is a fantastic bonus & will take a bit of pressure off Jeff when he returns.

It's Great to be generally delighted with our team, but with things to improve on.

Indeed

Kids have been great fair play to them .

Some Early season observations on 22:00 - Oct 26 with 1737 viewsElmo

Some Early season observations on 14:57 - Oct 26 by Catullus

The thing about shooting is, sometimes it cannons around inside the box and gets poked home, sometimes if deflects and flies in. A good, low and hard shot can reap dividends. We shouldn't be scared to have a go.

The other thing about shooting is:

- why don't we practice shots in the warm up anymore ??
Some Early season observations on 22:41 - Oct 26 with 1694 views34dfgdf54

Some Early season observations on 12:21 - Oct 26 by TailGunner

Transformation well ahead of schedule is an understatement. The work Potter and his staff have done in one pre season and in the first few months of the season has been spectacular, this side will only get better with or without signings in January as long as we don’t lose loads.
Some Early season observations on 22:44 - Oct 26 with 1689 viewsjasper_T

Dan James would have kept us in the PL if he'd been given a chance last season. We were bringing on Routledge when we were chasing games... only needed a few more points.
Some Early season observations (n/t) on 22:47 - Oct 26 with 1685 views34dfgdf54

Some Early season observations on 22:44 - Oct 26 by jasper_T

Dan James would have kept us in the PL if he'd been given a chance last season. We were bringing on Routledge when we were chasing games... only needed a few more points.

Bit of a bold statement.

The step up to Premier League from Championship is massive, you have no idea if he would have made the required impact to keep us up.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2018 22:51]
Some Early season observations on 22:49 - Oct 26 with 1674 viewsTailGunner

Some Early season observations on 22:44 - Oct 26 by jasper_T

Didn't he suffer with injury last season?
Some Early season observations on 22:52 - Oct 26 with 1664 viewsjasper_T

Some Early season observations on 22:49 - Oct 26 by TailGunner

Didn't he suffer with injury last season?

First half of the season. He was only just getting back to regular match fitness when he made his debut against Notts County in February, hadn't had a consistent run of games before then.

He and Byers were in good form for the u23s during the run in where we collapsed.
Some Early season observations on 22:57 - Oct 26 with 1650 viewsTailGunner

Some Early season observations on 22:52 - Oct 26 by jasper_T

First half of the season. He was only just getting back to regular match fitness when he made his debut against Notts County in February, hadn't had a consistent run of games before then.

He and Byers were in good form for the u23s during the run in where we collapsed.

Should have had minutes then no doubt at all.
I remember Bradley putting him on bench at Stoke when he was on fire, we are 3-1 down and he doesn't get off the bench.
Senseless
Some Early season observations (n/t) on 22:57 - Oct 26 with 1648 viewsjasper_T

Some Early season observations (n/t) on 22:47 - Oct 26 by 34dfgdf54

Bit of a bold statement.

The step up to Premier League from Championship is massive, you have no idea if he would have made the required impact to keep us up.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2018 22:51]

Could he have done worse? Twenty minutes of direct running and surprise factor (which is what Carvalhal claims his early points haul was down to) when all those games were all but lost. Apart from the hammering by City we were one goal from getting something out of almost every game in the final stretch.
Some Early season observations on 06:59 - Oct 27 with 1553 viewsAguycalledJack

Some Early season observations on 22:00 - Oct 26 by Elmo

The other thing about shooting is:

- why don't we practice shots in the warm up anymore ??

The standard of shooting in the warm up used to be awful. It was a standing joke where we sit.
Some Early season observations on 09:49 - Oct 27 with 1449 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Some Early season observations on 06:59 - Oct 27 by AguycalledJack

The standard of shooting in the warm up used to be awful. It was a standing joke where we sit.

Which just proves they need even more practice at it.
Some Early season observations on 10:35 - Oct 27 with 1416 viewsjackrmee

Some Early season observations on 12:50 - Oct 26 by jasper_T

Not many that I can recall. Toshack didn't have them lumping it into the box that often, I'd say at least half our corners last season were training ground routines where Byers and James would try something elaborate.

I'd love to see more training ground routines from set pieces. However, I do think Grimes has been crossing well from corners when he takes them

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024